The Master League adventures thread

Amazing. :LMAO:

Since moaning that Superstar was too difficult, I managed a few wins, the team spirit has gone up to a maximum of 72, and I've won 7 games in the last 10...

Buying two great wingers who had a high compatibility with my tactics in January - Coman from Bayern and Farfán on a free - has completely changed the game.

With six games to go, the table looks like this...

4th (CL) Manchester United 73pts
5th (EL) HULL CITY 62pts
6th (EL) West Ham 60pts
7th (EL) Southampton 58pts
8th (__) Stoke City 55pts
9th (__) Liverpool 55pts

I was thinking a realistic goal would be to build the team spirit and qualify for the Europa League next season, but with six games to go, we're right in the mix - but West Ham are driving me mad. (Champions League is within reach, which would be insane for the first season, but I'm 100% not aiming that high...)

Funny you mention this...

My last game was against Middlesbrough and it was one of my favourites. They were battling for a point from the get-go, and even on Superstar they just weren't interested in scoring (other than on the occasional counter-attack). They were defending so deep, and so well, that I just kept running into brick walls.

In the 70th minute, I threw a ball into the box, and Mbokani - my target man, who was great for 10 games, terrible for 10 games and is now on fire again - held off a defender to perform a bullet-header and give us a goal.

Middlesbrough changed immediately - you could feel the momentum shift, and it felt a little bit cheaty, until I realised that as soon as I got the ball back, I could do a long ball to Mbokani (standing on the half-way line with nobody around him), run up the pitch and score a second. Which he did...

...n't do, he hit it straight at the fucking goalkeeper!

But it was the most hard-fought, realistic, satisfying game.

There's a lot wrong with the game - I never have to play my subs or my reserves for example, there's just no point, all you need is 11 players (hopefully European competition changes that) - but my God, the gameplay is so good.

COME ON YOU TIGERS! WE CAN DO THIS!

Don't get me wrong Chris . .in this years game they will up the A/D level when chasing a goal but last years they would actually switch their formation from say a 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3 and it would flash up on the screen and the same when defending a goal . .a switch down to a defensive formation . .marvellous to see . .gave a feeling of awareness from the A.I..
I've an excuse now for when I get beaten .. ..I've no R2 button ha ha. Btw you're doing very well on Superstar. . don't tell me you're on full manual . .that would really make me feel inadequate . .I struggle to survive in Serie A each season.

ive now gone from bottom of the championship to 4th from bottom..ive not played any better just preston north end have offered me a job :)
Again, brilliant. :LOL:

Btw you're doing very well on Superstar. . don't tell me you're on full manual . .that would really make me feel inadequate . .I struggle to survive in Serie A each season.
Full manual, yikes. No chance. You've got to be crazy (and talented) to play full manual and Superstar together! My attitude is - if the AI aren't playing on manual (there are no misplaced passes other than the long balls that are overhit), then I'm not playing on manual either. It cheats enough.

I use the manual override every now and then to hit a pass or a shot I know will get unfairly interfered with (e.g. when I get a one-on-one, I know that unless the guy's finishing is 90, he'll probably smack it straight at the keeper no matter what I do - so I take over with the manual shot button, and then put it miles wide anyway)... But that's only a handful of times per game.

I was getting crushed at the start of the season, but those transfers have added 10-20 to my team spirit, and from then on it's been so much easier. Team spirit does far too much to the game - I love that it exists, it's a realistic idea, but it has way too much impact (negatively and positively)...

Team spirit does far too much to the game - I love that it exists, it's a realistic idea, but it has way too much impact (negatively and positively)...
This. Every PES player in the world should tweet about this to Adam, Asim and officialpes. So this critical issue would not be lost in all the noise.

Edit. If you don't mind, I am going to borrow your wording in my own tweet.

Been away for a while trying different types of games but finally got back into my ML. It's actually taking me just as long to play this ML as it does to play a real football season.

TEAM - BARNSLEY
OPTION FILE - GOALGERD'S
LEVEL - PROFESSIONAL (I think...wow it's been so long i cannot remember the name, anyways it's 3 from the top)
TIME - 20 MINS
SETTINGS - FULL MANUAL

Been enjoying your stories keep them up guys.

Been away for a while trying different types of games but finally got back into my ML. It's actually taking me just as long to play this ML as it does to play a real football season.

TEAM - BARNSLEY
OPTION FILE - GOALGERD'S
LEVEL - PROFESSIONAL (I think...wow it's been so long i cannot remember the name, anyways it's 3 from the top)
TIME - 20 MINS
SETTINGS - FULL MANUAL

Been enjoying your stories keep them up guys.

Good to see you back geeeee. .great vids . . .brilliant equaliser against Norwich.. . should have got a draw. . .the first vid looked like it was played on -2 speed?

Good to see you back geeeee. .great vids . . .brilliant equaliser against Norwich.. . should have got a draw. . .the first vid looked like it was played on -2 speed?

Thanks Deco, yeh i loved the equaliser too. I think Barnsley's goal of the season so far. It does look slow but i play on -1.

@geeeeee

Great to have you and your vids back.

Thanks James

Quick highlights of AC milan v Udinese again with 4-5-1.

I loved the second goal there's nothing quite like smashing in a rebound. But why didnt your man on the line celebrate?

I love your kit. Rich blue.

Udinese take on Cagliari . .. Great game. Had to abandon 4-5-1 for 3-5-2 and 4-3-3.

Last edited:
Udinese take on Cagliari . .. Great game. Had to abandon 4-5-1 for 3-5-2 and 4-3-3.

You've been a busy bee Dec,I've seen all your vids on YT.
Been away for a month from it,but I'm gonna edit my serie A-b for a few days to get the game right,then I'll be terrorising you again

Z'up you bastards?
A month since I played Pes the last time,been playing the other game a bit,but mainly been playing guitar,busy recording etc.
But,played one game last night,boy it's a tough one,but it's unbelievably good.
So I'm back here giving you the piss again.
Everyone alright? Survived Xmas and so on
By the way @geeeeee ,watching your precious Barnsley getting killed by Fulham as we speak

I've actually got a big boost and I'm psyched as hell to do a restart with this game.
Found some invaluable tips from @Matt10 from his YT channel,and I'm going to edit all of Serie A-B.
Super psyched,and feel free to check Matts edit tips out,they rely make the game great
So guess I see you lot soon?

You've been a busy bee Dec,I've seen all your vids on YT.
Been away for a month from it,but I'm gonna edit my serie A-b for a few days to get the game right,then I'll be terrorising you again

Rock me old mate . .. welcome home . .. .good to see you back man .. .Looking forward to your vids and your words of wisdom.

Rock me old mate . .. welcome home . .. .good to see you back man .. .Looking forward to your vids and your words of wisdom.
Cheers mate,always good to be back with the brain trust.
Will be editing both leagues first,guess I'll be up and running Tuesday.
Really missed this game and forum.

@rockstrongo: this is a real comeback week, glad to see you here! Been using Matt's edits since they came out.

Been playing my Sheffield ML. Full manual, superstar etc. TS around 60. Home matches are excellent. Very difficult to win, but they feel fair. Lost to West Ham in cup 2nd round, 0-1. They were just all around better, in a good way. Great match. A couple of other matches that have been the best footie matches I have ever played.

But the away matches are friggin ridiculous. I guess it's because it all piles up: low TS, superstar bonus and the home team advantage for the CPU. I have to pass into acres of space, otherwise the CPU intercepts from hilarious distances. We lose all offensive aerial battles and the vast majority of defensive ones. The reaction time of CPU players is so very different from ours. Engaging in a one vs. one is mostly useless; jockeying still works, though.

I know from my previous MLs it's gonna get better with higher TS. So I am going to try the following until our TS is around 80: superstar matches at home and top player away. I will let you know how it works out.

Last edited:
@rockstrongo: this is a real comeback week, glad to see you here! Been using Matt's edits since they came out.

Been playing my Sheffield ML. Full manual, superstar etc. TS around 60. Home matches are excellent. Very difficult to win, but they feel fair. Lost to West Ham in cup 2nd round, 0-1. They were just all around better, in a good way. Great match. A couple of other matches that have been the best footie matches I have ever played.

But the away matches are friggin ridiculous. I guess it's because it all piles up: low TS, superstar bonus and the home team advantage for the CPU. I have to pass into acres of space, otherwise the CPU intercepts from hilarious distances. We lose all offensive aerial battles and the vast majority of defensive ones. The reaction time of CPU players is so very different from ours. Engaging in a one vs. one is mostly useless; jockeying still works, though.

I know from my previous MLs it's gonna get better with higher TS. So I am going to try the following until our TS is around 80: superstar matches at home and top player away. I will let you know how it works out.
Thanks @James Beaver yeah,looks like homecoming in here.
Oh man,you're on SS? Just like before right? I'd get killed on SS now,played a few games on TP,feels right to me.
Konami need to look into TS,great idea,but way to much impact.
It's a good idea going TP at home,and SS away,hope your ML is going alright,how many seasons in are you?

Guess I'll be up and running Tuesday,massive editing awaits,at least Serie A/B team tactics.
Don't know which team to start with though,probably Lazio/Torino/Genoa.
Keep us posted James

Thanks @James BeaverIt's a good idea going TP at home,and SS away
Actually it's the other way round: SS at home, TP away to counter for the massive home team advantage the CPU gets in their home matches.

hope your ML is going alright,how many seasons in are you?
First season in this one cause I am playing on PC while on the road myself for a couple of months.

Guess I'll be up and running Tuesday,massive editing awaits,at least Serie A/B team tactics.

I am using Matt's edits as well, but there is some interesting work going on with these guys:

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/pro-evolution-soccer/896894-papinho-royces-pes-tactics-23.html

Actually it's the other way round: SS at home, TP away to counter for the massive home team advantage the CPU gets in their home matches.

First season in this one cause I am playing on PC while on the road myself for a couple of months.

I am using Matt's edits as well, but there is some interesting work going on with these guys:

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/pro-evolution-soccer/896894-papinho-royces-pes-tactics-23.html
Thats very interesting,I'm gonna have a look at their Serie A video.
Thanx for the tip mate,guess I'm gonna spend a few days extra editing:)

Restarted with old faithful Rodos, on phone atm, so will update properly.

Using top Greek teams in Series A as added teams, and I'm starting out in Serie B.

Outwith this, can you use Barca Legend players in edit/Ml mode?

FD

Started a new ML with Vitesse after playing FM17 and signing Thomas Buitink from them!! that and because my LFC one got silly... i signed Messi so lost interest.

Currently 4th with them, started on Top player but felt the game cheats so bad, for instance one game i went 1 up, passed alot scored a great finish then my keeper rolls it too my cb in the box and i go to pass it to my cm and the other cb ran in front of the pass ball bounced off of him and their cf ran onto it and scored.

Kick off, and a few moments later i scored again.. all was good until the 80odd min when the EXACT same thing happened i passed out with my cb but this time the other one ran INTO my cb knocked each other off balance (like they were tackling each other) the ball rebounds to the striker to run in and slot it past my on rushing keeper.

My TS is 62 i know i need to get it to 70 75 minimum before games are even, signed Didier Drogba and he has been superb and so has Nakamura who is so damn good on the ball for a 76 ovr.

Been comparing superstar and top player today. Same away match multiple times at both levels. TS 65, full manual.

IMHO there is clear short-term momentum scripting at both levels, for example the good old 90'+ goal can be found in both. However, there is much less full match momentum scripting on top player. On top player I can actually play my own passing game, whereas on superstar the interception capability of the CPU (home team) is just nuts.

So I will stop this experimentation for a while and keep playing top player away, superstar at home. Until the TS of my team is higher.

Last edited:
I seriously can't buy a win on this ..regular mode as wigan..2nd to bottom and loosing 1-0 or scraping 1-1 draws ..I'm on full manual with advanced through balls ..I'm still loving it even though Imy crap..I'm hoping a change in formation and my new striker who arrives in January window turns my results around...the main gripe I have is getting my players to run behind and even when they do I rarely can break free from a defender they always catch up...I'm not sure if that's the catch up bug or my players are slow or both

I seriously can't buy a win on this ..regular mode as wigan..2nd to bottom and loosing 1-0 or scraping 1-1 draws ..I'm on full manual with advanced through balls ..I'm still loving it even though Imy crap..I'm hoping a change in formation and my new striker who arrives in January window turns my results around...the main gripe I have is getting my players to run behind and even when they do I rarely can break free from a defender they always catch up...I'm not sure if that's the catch up bug or my players are slow or both

It's the team spirit . .it has to build up to 70-80 before you start playing well which will take a couple of seasons.

It's the team spirit . .it has to build up to 70-80 before you start playing well which will take a couple of seasons.
Looking fw to restarting my campaign,you know with the 40-45 TS...
Also probably going with a shit team,it's going to a lot of cursing in here...

Been comparing superstar and top player today. Same away match multiple times at both levels. TS 65, full manual.

IMHO there is clear short-term momentum scripting at both levels, for example the good old 90'+ goal can be found in both. However, there is much less full match momentum scripting on top player. On top player I can actually play my own passing game, whereas on superstar the interception capability of the CPU (home team) is just nuts.

So I will stop this experimentation for a while and keep playing top player away, superstar at home. Until the TS of my team is higher.
Playing on superstar is pretty much juggling drunk with chainsaw.
You mad JB :)

Looking fw to restarting my campaign,you know with the 40-45 TS...
Also probably going with a shit team,it's going to a lot of cursing in here...

I'm going to wait until the transfers are sorted and then start a new one with real club players. . .it's all the same on Superstar manual the AI will make sure I get relegated in the first season if I pick a decent team in Serie A .. .it's a nightmare with low TS, Im enjoying it at the moment with a high TS. .allows you to compete and play decent football.

I'm going to wait until the transfers are sorted and then start a new one with real club players. . .it's all the same on Superstar manual the AI will make sure I get relegated in the first season if I pick a decent team in Serie A .. .it's a nightmare with low TS, Im enjoying it at the moment with a high TS. .allows you to compete and play decent football.
Up to my ears in editing right now,but yeah,played a few games on my old save,got to say it's absolutely great.
I'm not touching superstar mate.
Well you like it in Serie B my friend,dodgy deals,shifty presidents,and angry ultras,right up your alley mate.
Yeah might sit out the transfer window before kicking off my campaign aswell

I'm a little bit gutted at the moment (playing with Hull on Superstar) - the TS is up to 80 now and my last three games have been unexpected wins, one of them being 4-0, against Chelsea... Something doesn't seem right (yes I'm not using manual passing, but I'd hit upon the perfect gameplay balance at around 70 TS, I think).

I'm top of the Europa League spots, still 8pts off Man United in the Champions League spot above, but now guaranteed European football next season. Which I'm delighted about, but I'm hoping the extra tournament means I might have to actually rotate players etc.!

Perhaps I'm expecting too much - out of the previous three games, in two of them I've scored the winning goal with five minutes to go, so they could easily have been draws. But the Chelsea game was ridiculous, it was a full-strength squad and at the end of the game, it was 18 shots to 1 (in my favour, which I've never seen before, even against the worst teams). Compare that to my last game against West Ham, which was about 15 shots to 5 (in their favour)...

Three games to go until the end of the season, now. I might experiment with full manual and Top Player (I hate the thought, because the CPU doesn't misplace enough passes for me to feel like that's fair, but I wanted a challenge - and I was getting one until I bought those new wingers and the team spirit shot up)!

Back
Top Bottom