The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

Quite an unusual and (arguably) interesting development in Aberdeen right now. For the first time ever, soon, we'll have two professional clubs.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59938792

Obviously loads of cities have two (or more) pro teams but so recently?

It's a weird one. It's almost unthinkable that someone could support only Cove Rangers. They've always been that kind of novelty, the team you might go to see if Aberdeen are playing away or don't have a game. I can't imagine the city having a meaningful derby. If it ever gets to that it'll probably be when I'm gone, mind you.

Watching that Neymar docu on Netflix ,and i thought it would be a whitewash of him ,coming through as a shiny knight ,like they did that horrible Juventus docu (or promo).
But it has surprised me ,all the crap all the ups and downs ,and he acctually comes out as a human being ,and looking to be a decent guy.

That life he has is so turned up at 11 ,all the time.
Never been a fan ,mainly because I (and most ) looks at him as a twat , regardless of who good he is.
But a good documentary on one of the really good players this gen.

Anyone watching Fulham Vs Blackpool?
Temporarily called off due to a supporter collapsing in the stands.
Luckily ,not the de tv crew that shamefully filmed Eriksen collapse last summer

Quite an unusual and (arguably) interesting development in Aberdeen right now. For the first time ever, soon, we'll have two professional clubs.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59938792

Obviously loads of cities have two (or more) pro teams but so recently?

It's a weird one. It's almost unthinkable that someone could support only Cove Rangers. They've always been that kind of novelty, the team you might go to see if Aberdeen are playing away or don't have a game. I can't imagine the city having a meaningful derby. If it ever gets to that it'll probably be when I'm gone, mind you.

I've been keeping an eye on them on and off the past couple of years. Kept seeing them banging the goals in on the League 2 results and noticed they were doing really well in League 1 this season. Was it Livingston that did a similar thing and made it to the Premier a while back now? Or am I thinking of Ross County?

Kelty Hearts seem to be going really well too. The possibility of promotion from the Lowland and Highland leagues really seems to have shaken up the lower leagues of Scotland.

Frank Lampard's really landed on his feet.

I think I'd wait and see on that one, bit of a poison chalice that job!

I've been keeping an eye on them on and off the past couple of years. Kept seeing them banging the goals in on the League 2 results and noticed they were doing really well in League 1 this season. Was it Livingston that did a similar thing and made it to the Premier a while back now? Or am I thinking of Ross County?

Kelty Hearts seem to be going really well too. The possibility of promotion from the Lowland and Highland leagues really seems to have shaken up the lower leagues of Scotland.

Livingston were born out of Meadowbank Thistle, who played in Edinburgh. They went bust so the owner moved them to Livingston in the mid 90s and changed the name, US-style!

Ross County joined the league in the mid 90s too after it expanded from 38 to 40 teams in total. It was based on application rather than merit. Inverness Caledonian merged with Inverness Thistle and took the other spot. All three were playing Highland League to that point. Safe to say Inverness has never really taken to its unified team.

Livi, Ross County and Inverness have all been quite similar since, settling as yo-yo clubs between the top two divisions. Although Livi made big strides around the turn of the millennium, finishing third at one point.

Looks like Kelty and Cove may both get promoted this season. Both well-structured clubs with a bit of money. Edinburgh City made it up through the pyramid too a few years ago. It was desperately needed, the promotion from the Highland or Lowland leagues; there was so much dross in the league that didn't deserve to be there. At 42 teams over four divisions it's still too big though, in my opinion.

I think I'd wait and see on that one, bit of a poison chalice that job!

Absolutely, but he's still lucky to get it!

Wouldn't be surprised if Tunisia wins the competition in the end, it sounds like a typical story to be told in the future of how they won it with all these circumstances. Similar to the legend of Denmark coming straight from the beach to play Euro 92 in their flip flops eating McDonalds only :P Good luck for the next games
Unfortunately, no

Burkina Faso (becomes) our " Black Beast " beat us. It's the third time in a raw they eliminate us (1998-2017-2021)

Unfortunately, no

Burkina Faso (becomes) our " Black Beast " beat us. It's the third time in a raw they eliminate us (1998-2017-2021)

Just watched the highlights. Seemed as if both sides were quite wasteful. I think it should've been a penalty for the tackle on Khazri. The defender won the ball first but it was a dangerous challenge.

For those of you are interested in Union, here is a link if you want to see some pictures of their stadium:
https://staantribune.nl/themas-en-verhalen/union-saint-gilloise-terugkeer-van-een-monument-fotorepo/

Imagine if they should have to play European football next season.

Meanwhile, they are still top of the league with a bonus of 4 points before Club Brugge (the big favourites, they are becoming the Belgian Bayern Munchen) and 7 before Antwerp.

KRC Genk, my favourite team are having a very bad season, so i hope Union will become champions, but that seems impossible.

A great result for Union today then @Stan after drawing with Club Brugge last week. Currently 12 points clear but Brugge can get it back to 9 later if they win. I see Union have Antwerp next week. If they can win that or even just avoid defeat then surely it's on. :)

I also see Brighton have apparently signed Denis Undav (does the owner pay himself as he owns both clubs :LOL: ) but he's staying at Union until the summer.

For me as an outsider ,the most (and only) interesting thing in english football is whether Derby gets away with one of the greater escapes seen in a long time.

Other news ,M Greenwood and his alleged abuse ,plus icing on the cake , Man U supposedly knowing and covering it up.
In utd's case ,wouldn't be surprised give their history of not being very transparent (Ole)

For me as an outsider ,the most (and only) interesting thing in english football is whether Derby gets away with one of the greater escapes seen in a long time.

Other news ,M Greenwood and his alleged abuse ,plus icing on the cake , Man U supposedly knowing and covering it up.
In utd's case ,wouldn't be surprised give their history of not being very transparent (Ole)
I don't think the "covering it up" part is true, but man.... He was a star prospect a couple years ago, hope the truth will prevail.

We'll see again a club wrestle with a footballer the human and a footballer the asset. Of course the decision could be made for them if there's a conviction but how often have we seen footballers let off with indiscretions as they're not mere employees but assets worth millions.

We'll see again a club wrestle with a footballer the human and a footballer the asset. Of course the decision could be made for them if there's a conviction but how often have we seen footballers let off with indiscretions as they're not mere employees but assets worth millions.

If, as appears, it's true then sadly we know the answer to that one already. I can see the line already, sincere apologies, counselling, anger management courses and back in the team.

If, as appears, it's true then sadly we know the answer to that one already. I can see the line already, sincere apologies, counselling, anger management courses and back in the team.
Don't think that this would be a realistic option after Me Too. Fortunately times have changed.
Violence against women should be punished and if this is true, Greenwoord will end up doing jail time and that is only logic.

A great result for Union today then @Stan after drawing with Club Brugge last week. Currently 12 points clear but Brugge can get it back to 9 later if they win. I see Union have Antwerp next week. If they can win that or even just avoid defeat then surely it's on. :)

I also see Brighton have apparently signed Denis Undav (does the owner pay himself as he owns both clubs :LOL: ) but he's staying at Union until the summer.
About Union. For the first time since we have them, i 'm against play-offs. What happens is that at the beginning of the play-offs point are halved. Those 12 points will become six points and the 9 (if Brugge wins) will become 4 or 5 points (i'm not sure how that goes to be honest).

Yes Undav goed to Brighton at the end of the season. He comes from a German third division team (SV Meppen) and joined Union when they were a second division team. He's very good at the moment, but i don't see him as a player for Brighton. His strength is his partnership with Dante Van Zeir, they are such a fantastic fit.

IMO the true star of this Union team is their Danish midfielder NIelsen. He is great. They have also loaned a very good Japanese player from Brighton: Mitoma. I think this one can become a really good player for Brighton. I heard Trossard about Mitoma, according to Trossard, Mitoma has everything to become a star player.

Early reports suggest the future's bleak for Greenwood. Any conviction would, surely, now, lead to being sacked. I think of Ched Evans, and how multiple clubs wanted to sign him after his release from prison, before he was even acquitted. Football doesn't cover itself in glory when it comes to these things.

That's players at three major English clubs suspended pending investigations of sexual assault. Shocking.

Early reports suggest the future's bleak for Greenwood. Any conviction would, surely, now, lead to being sacked. I think of Ched Evans, and how multiple clubs wanted to sign him after his release from prison, before he was even acquitted. Football doesn't cover itself in glory when it comes to these things.

That's players at three major English clubs suspended pending investigations of sexual assault. Shocking.

Always a difficult one isn't it after someone's served their time with regards to a second chance. Who was the one that hit and killed someone with their car and then fled the scene (Lee Hughes? ) he returned to playing non league after release from prison. Then there was the Plymouth keeper, Lee McCormack, who killed two little boys hitting their family's car with his car at 90mph when drink driving. He played many years for Plymouth afterwards and still plays now.

About Union. For the first time since we have them, i 'm against play-offs. What happens is that at the beginning of the play-offs point are halved. Those 12 points will become six points and the 9 (if Brugge wins) will become 4 or 5 points (i'm not sure how that goes to be honest).

Oh is that still happening, I thought with a bigger league that maybe they'd scrapped that. Lots still to do then, but they are in a great position. How's Burgess doing at the back? He used to play for my team.

Always a difficult one isn't it after someone's served their time with regards to a second chance. Who was the one that hit and killed someone with their car and then fled the scene (Lee Hughes? ) he returned to playing non league after release from prison. Then there was the Plymouth keeper, Lee McCormack, who killed two little boys hitting their family's car with his car at 90mph when drink driving. He played many years for Plymouth afterwards and still plays now.

I knew about Lee Hughes but not McCormack. I just read about it now. Horrible.

It's very difficult as you never know what level of learning and rehabilitation there has been in their time away from the game. I do believe in second chances, but in football it can be pretty unsettling. Players are so public, so revered. They can return to a well-paid position and be cheered on by thousands of people on a weekly basis, while other industries would shun people with the same record.

Burgess is doing really well. Good player. Of course it's only the Jupiler League.

He was a good player for us in both League 2 and then in League 1. I was sad to see him go. Seems mad to think he could be playing Champions League football next season. What a great move for him that has turned out to be.

All round nice guy too, did a lot in the community as well. We once had a game postponed (forget why now) but he apparently tweeted that he was bored and wanted something to do. A youth coach who was taking a training session with some young kids that day replied you're welcome to come take a session with us and that's exactly what he did! Spent a good couple of hours with them, chatting with them and training them.

I'm sorry Mattmid, but what is your favourite club?
From waht you wrote there, he seems a genuinely nice guy, good to hear stories like that after the stuff about Greenwood, Mendy and Sigurdsson...

I'm sorry Mattmid, but what is your favourite club?
From waht you wrote there, he seems a genuinely nice guy, good to hear stories like that after the stuff about Greenwood, Mendy and Sigurdsson...

Portsmouth. Yes, nice to know there's good guys too.

Ah, Pompey...i liked them when they were in the EPL: Benjani, Krancjar,...
I've read a book by an American fan who went living in Portsmouth to follow them and wrote a book about it. Very good book, liked that.

Bloody Confused by Chuck Culpepper.

Culpepper had a burnout and decided to move to England (not Portsmouth, but London) and to fololw Portsmouth home and away . The book was published in 2008 and must have been about 2006-2007 season or thereabouts. Very funny book.

Last edited:
Mate @mattmid such bad luck Vs Charlton ,just finished watching it ,own goal and plenty of chances to tie it last 10 min.
Bummer!
Btw ,saw that half of one terrace was torn down/being reuild.
Have they finished one half already ,or are they building that part first before tearing down the second part?

Back
Top Bottom