The Euro 2020 Thread

To Chris and other English people here: there is a lot of racism in Belgium too. Lot's of people here really hate Lukaku for instance. The fact that our national team took the knee before matches was heavily criticised by right wing political parties t(and in Flanders 45% of the people vote extreme right or a llitle bit less extreme right).
Dome of these extreme right politician supported our adversaries on Twitter during matches (our first goal against Russia had a suspicion of offside - Lukaku was in an off-side position, but the Russain defender touched the ball and so it can never be off-side - one MP even was bashing the ref that he was biased against Russia).

What i want to say: there are jerks in every country, and the problem is that these people generally are loud and clear and so you get the impression that all -Belgians, English, Germans and take any possible nationality- are jerks. There is a silent majority who is not like that....

Concerning (some) English football fans: what concerns me is the drinking that seems to go hand in hand with being a fan. Too much alcohol changes people and seldom in a good way. I have the impression (perhaps wrongly) that English football fans consume too much alcohol. That is something foreign journalists found shockingly sunday.
Well if you're a racist homophobic idiot when drunk ,I guarantee you're exactly that sober too

Some newspapers and a lot of people in "social" media now point the finger on England and say, "look the racist English" and that's pure hypocrisy. I don't want to imagine what have happend if Germany would have been in the final in that situation and Rüdiger, Gnabry and Sané would miss their penalties. It would have been the exact same shit on facebook, twitter etc. At every match of our national team there are discussions going on, that some of our players ("the immigrants") dOn'T sInG oUr AnThEm. ThEy ArE nOt PrOuD tO bE gErMaN. It's disgusting and ridiculous.
Every country has huge problems with racism these days but just because these wankers shout the loudest they are not the majority.
So to all the nice English people here, be aware we all know that these incidents do not represent THE ENGLISH, just the assholes.

What i want to say: there are jerks in every country, and the problem is that these people generally are loud and clear and so you get the impression that all -Belgians, English, Germans and take any possible nationality- are jerks. There is a silent majority who is not like that....

This is one of the big problems of social media, these sorts of silent minorities are able to get their narrow minded views out to the world. Be it these racist types, right wing nutters, cancel culture, those who search through social media to try to destroy someone for something they said when they were 13 or whatever it might be.

@Chris Davies

My personal favourite there has to be Foden's hair tribute to Christopher Biggins :LOL:

Well, he said he did. Yeah, that was so unnecessary, especially after I considered him a chap who'd be beyond such kind of statements. They beat us fair and square because they were the better team. Why bring the war in again?

Even the notorious English press doesn't ressort to panzers, bombers and Blitz anymore when it comes to matches against Germany.

Luckily the era of nasty rivalries and comparisons is over. Even playing the Dutch is no longer about something that happened 75 years ago. That's a bit of a positive result of football's internationalization.
Exactly i'ts a smart guy but maybe a overthinker.
(It's that '96 penalty against you guys)
I once hanged a german flag in my garden to f with the neighbor above me ( who doesn't think the same : )

Idiocy knows neither religion nor skin color!

i will never forget the weeks i've spent in Weymouth, as a 14 year old boy being in a foreign country for the first time, getting to know the language, the culture and the people living there! the family i stayed with was warm hearted and caring, every day! i was amazed by a lot of stuff... and all the english stuff was so hip to me; i was so hyped! :)
arcades, chrisps, fish and chips :LOVE: , breakfast, Terminator running wednesday at 8pm on free to air channels, newspapers, tea with milk, BISCUITS!!!, the beach, my class mates, talking to strangers... the culture and style of life!! very impressive stuff for a young boy, soaking in everything!!
i had only one situation that wasnt nice, but that could've happened everywhere!

so, to make it short: its allways the avarage of people you have to keep in mind! ;) other than that... enjoy life!!

go brits!! :BYE:
I remember my first trip to the UK a bit differently.
I went with my grandmother to a bed & breakfast run by this way to nice old couple.
The day we would visit Legoland the lady gave me some sort of pastry for lunch, it looked nice and inviting.
I took a big bite out of the thing and a avalanche of sugar subsided into my throat.
The heat, lego bricks in thousend colours and the dense crouwd dit the rest ; )

Last edited:
It always seems to feel like when we win and progress during these tournaments, it feels lucky, like an accident. And then when faced with a top tier side like the above, we're always the underdog. Germany being the only team we've beaten from that list in a tournament in those last 21 years but only because they're regressing themselves.
It works both ways I think. I remember playing cup mode in pes 4 and always drawing England in the knockouts and nevermind how good I played that damn squad of yours whooped me regardless.
In real life I think you'll get the wind in the sails soon enough. If the Netherlands will qualify for Qatar I wouldn't fancy to draw against you.

Last edited:
I think it's quite obvious and very detectable ,mainly because it's in our countries as well.
We have politicians getting caught on a weekly basis here being on different Nazi forums spreading hate under fake names etc.

I'm afraid we will have exactly the same clowns running our country within a year or so too.
As a mod, I shouldn't carry on the political discussion - but it's close to my heart when I see what's going on over here. National media bending to the will of the government, time and time again, so that their rich buddies stay rich and we stop worrying about climate change etc...

...but I've just seen this and I'm honestly flabbergasted.

------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: On a football-related note:

Cowards.

There's only one reason this has been cancelled, and it ain't because he needs to work on his speech. It's because so many players have called out their own government - and as always, they can't take the heat. "Quick, change the national subject, guys"...

Last edited:
As a mod, I shouldn't carry on the political discussion - but it's close to my heart when I see what's going on over here. National media bending to the will of the government, time and time again, so that their rich buddies stay rich and we stop worrying about climate change etc...

Nevermind being a mod. ; )

@Chris Davies The Police nowadays, act like paid bodyguards and servants to the powers and Corporations that be. Forget about serve and protect the public. Anyway i will leave this here, as it's not football.....But give me a soapbox :D

Such a good post.. It really is sad.
There's a very worrying trend across the world. Ironically - social media and open borders brought us all closer together than we've ever been, while at the same time pulling people apart. Whether you like it, or not, US and UK has a big influence to the rest of the world. And how they respond to racism and xenophobia will have an impact on how others respond.

Spot on. Living in Ireland - most people follow and support english teams. And even though "tribal" mentality is strong - most of it in here is pure banter. Probably due to irish mentality - there's very little hatred there. But even with that - people found it very odd that I did not participate in slagging. That, being Liverpool fan, I did not talk shite about Man Utd. Even Utd fans were looking at me suspicious, when I was talking about how Solskjaer struggled and how sad was to see such a big club struggling. One time I even heard
- the fuck is this? Are you a spy?
- :LOL:...yea, im here to gain your trust and then send your gameplan to Klopp!

To make them feel more comfortable - I started slagging other teams....including Liverpool. :LOL:
..and everyone is happy now.. im known as the weird one who is making fun of all the teams, including his own.
But at least I can talk about football now, without them looking at me suspicious.
While googling to find what "banter" means, i stepped on this. :)

EDIT: On a football-related note:

Cowards.

There's only one reason this has been cancelled, and it ain't because he needs to work on his speech. It's because so many players have called out their own government - and as always, they can't take the heat. "Quick, change the national subject, guys"...
Good on your guys for taking a stand on it.
I really applaude that.

And that first tweet...
Wtf

What I will say is that, truly, this is what represents the residents of the UK. Yes, there are some horrendous people, and yes, we feel shame when they boo opposition anthems, and abuse people because their football team lost (like a child would). But this is what represents most of us.
Idiots are everywhere, man.
The fact that there are idiots from Britain doesn't absolutely mean that every Brit is an idiot of course. It's just basic logic.

I know that it's easy to define all the Brits as idiots because some of them are so (see us Italians for example, how many people would call us "mafiosi", or "cheaters", or whatever, just because some of us are?) but I can assure you that we're well aware that they are a minority.

Last edited:

Madness. There has to be a how many/changing a light bulb joke there :LOL: It honestly felt like an old Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch. Where did they find that many police, I assume that was London because there aren't even that many police in the whole of Hampshire I don't think. Most of the police stations around here are only open to the public a couple of days a week.

To the English here: No need for self-flagellation. I think we all agree that all things considered England is still one of the most diverse and tolerant countries in the world, idiots notwithstanding, which you have everywhere.

Finally, not wanting to go too much into politics but while I generally support the anti-racism gestures we've seen, the thought that the same teams and players will be marching onto the pitch in Qatar in a bit more than a year puts a slightly odd perspective on things.

As a football fan I am also caught in this dilemma. The genuine gesture would be to boycott watching the WC, but I know already that I won't have the strength. Difficult times.

As a football fan I am also caught in this dilemma. The genuine gesture would be to boycott watching the WC, but I know already that I won't have the strength. Difficult times.
I'm obviously against the World Cup in Qatar, but as a football fan it's mandatory to watch it.

A football fan not watching the World Cup like the Pope not attending a mass.

To the English here: No need for self-flagellation. I think we all agree that all things considered England is still one of the most diverse and tolerant countries in the world, idiots notwithstanding, which you have everywhere.

Finally, not wanting to go too much into politics but while I generally support the anti-racism gestures we've seen, the thought that the same teams and players will be marching onto the pitch in Qatar in a bit more than a year puts a slightly odd perspective on things.

Would be great though, if we could all live in the same part of the world, where colour and culture would never be an issue. We all know in our heart, that it was never meant to be like this. It is powerful stuff being discussed today and i commend you all. :SAL:

Didn't want to start a new thread ,someone in here asked for a meeting between Euro/Copa America winners.
We're not far off from that.

All for that. The Confederations Cup is nice but, let's be honest, it's the game everyone wants to see. You just know it'll be sold to the highest bidder and played in the Middle East or China.

Speaking of which, I would also find it impossible to not watch a World Cup. Quite frankly I'm fed up of good everyday people being the ones expected to facilitate change. Why should we suffer for the blatantly immoral acts of a handful of people. Qatar doesn't deserve to host a World Cup. FIFA knew that in 2009, they know it now. Awareness doesn't need raised, decision-makers just need to do the right thing.

Speaking of which, I would also find it impossible to not watch a World Cup. Quite frankly I'm fed up of good everyday people being the ones expected to facilitate change. Why should we suffer for the blatantly immoral acts of a handful of people. Qatar doesn't deserve to host a World Cup. FIFA knew that in 2009, they know it now. Awareness doesn't need raised, decision-makers just need to do the right thing
I wish teams would question/boycott this louder.
I think the right way is to attack sponsor's ,not the Chinese ones sponsoring the event ,but look into each countries main sponsors and put pressure there ,always go for the money

It's a disgrace that the next WC will be played in stadiums build by slaves, in a country that is so homophobic that Hungary seems a liberal country compared to it. In the future more and more of these sporting events will be held in countries like that. Take cyclism: the track world championships would have been held in in Minsk if teams like Germany and the Netherlands did not threaten to boycott them. All credit to them.

There will also be cycling world championships held in Turkmenistan (i don't remember exactly when and what, but i 've seen a preposterous clip of the dictator on a bike)..

The fact that the Coppa America was held in Brazil was also extremely controversial. I will end this rant with a cliché: money rules football more than ever...therefore kneeling players are a good thing. The very top players should fight injustice. What Rashford has done with the meals is fabulous, for me he deserves the Peace Nobel Prize. More players should use their influence and marketing value to change the world. Rashford is an absolute hero.

Last edited:
Didn't want to start a new thread ,someone in here asked for a meeting between Euro/Copa America winners.
We're not far off from that.
I'd love it should it happen.
It shouldn't even be an official tournament or such...
Even a friendly would do, they could call it the "Maradona Cup" and hold it each time a new European or South American champion is crowned.

Back
Top Bottom