The Euro 2020 Thread

Some attacking at last, although we did have a sort of let's sit on the 1-0 spell in the last part of the first half. The second goal right after half time killed them off I think. Ukraine looked deflated and probably didn't have the energy after the other night to really ever get back in it.

Great crosses from Luke Shaw again, he's had a brilliant season. Thought it was a bit of an insult to Chilwell to bring Trippier on at LB for Shaw when we were 4-0 up though! Also thought Walker got exposed several times. Has to up his game against Maehle

So, two (tough) home games from...nah, shut up Matt.

Honestly do think the final at the very least should be at a neutral venue with there being no actual host.

Thought it was a bit of an insult to Chilwell to bring Trippier on at LB for Shaw when we were 4-0 up though! Also thought Walker got exposed several times. Has to up his game against Maehle

So, two (tough) home games from...nah, shut up Matt.

Honestly do think the final at the very least should be at a neutral venue with there being no actual host.
First Highlight Yes matt, i thought the same in the first half, that he could be a potential banana skin, i would play Trippier there.

Second Highlight
Behave Matty lad, it's our only hope to glory. :LOL: ;))

Good game tonight, can't really fault em, also big respect to Shevchenko at the end giving Harry Kane a hug. What a pro and more importantly a good sportsman. :APPLAUD:

This will do our confidence the world of good. I feel this lot wont get carried away, as there is greater challenges ahead.

Once again the highlight for me was Southgate, weirdly enough*. He seems to have made the right calls all the way up to now. Tonight it was great to see Sancho start - he wasn't as explosive as I'd hoped but he constantly picked the right pass and kept the game flowing, I thought - and it was nice to see us bring all the younger players on at 4-0.

*Though I thought Shaw deserved MOTM, rather than Kane, for his constant threat from crosses and dead-ball situations.

I just love that when we score, the camera goes to Southgate and he's just in pure concentration mode, talking to Steve Holland about the next steps to take - and his interview at the end of the game was, once again, the cherry on top. Saying that he's "chuffed" that England fans are all enjoying our progress but that he can't really enjoy it himself until the job is done.

I don't think he's a genius or anything - in-fact, I think he's probably doing less work than previous managers because of the team he has around him. He seems very well supported - and seems like a decent bloke.

Listening to a podcast earlier, they were discussing whether he would ever return to club management... I can't see it personally. I think it might require a different attitude. But it's an interesting thought.

I liked Southgate when he was shite!
Had him in my very very lengthy ML on Pes 6 playing as Boro (also had that wanker Woodgate)

A thank you is in order boys,tought him all he knows!

Congrats to a very well deserved win.
I suspect we have two very tough games to look fw to next week.
Plus a final obviously.

I have Italy in the final,most likely England too.

Got to say UEFA are a disgrace for using Baku as a venue (particularly putting it in a group where the other games are in Rome!) but also especially for the knockout stages. 2 teams flying over 2000 miles to play a quarter final in 30+ degrees heat. Both teams were out on their feet by about 65 minutes.

The scheduling for this tournament is so unfair for some teams whilst others are virtually playing the whole thing at home. Yes there's covid, but why couldn't they have played that in Budapest, Munich, Sevilla etc? Oh yes I know, money.
It is rotten, travelling absolutely is a large factor in a teams performance and form and some teams were put at a severe disadvantage having to travel all the way to Baku and Russia .

Fun fact: All four semi finalists played all their group games at home. What does that tell you about advantage?

Thought it was a bit of an insult to Chilwell to bring Trippier on at LB for Shaw when we were 4-0 up though!
Yeah I thought to myself once we go 4 up he'll experiment or give the lower priority members of the squad a run out, I was disapointed not to see Chilwell too but glad Calvert Lewin got a bit of time.
I just love that when we score, the camera goes to Southgate and he's just in pure concentration mode, talking to Steve Holland about the next steps to take - and his interview at the end of the game was, once again, the cherry on top. Saying that he's "chuffed" that England fans are all enjoying our progress but that he can't really enjoy it himself until the job is done.

Listening to a podcast earlier, they were discussing whether he would ever return to club management... I can't see it personally. I think it might require a different attitude. But it's an interesting thought.
I appreciated that too, He's very dignified and disciplined and won't allow himself to enjoy the win until it's written and recorded as one. He's wise and knows these games can change at freak notice as we saw with Spain and France.

And as for club management, I think he'd be better appreciated/respected at a "smaller club" eg maybe not a premier league side or at least a big six club but he'll be worth too much to work for a smaller or championship team either.

Yeah I thought to myself once we go 4 up he'll experiment or give the lower priority members of the squad a run out, I was disapointed not to see Chilwell too but glad Calvert Lewin got a bit of time.
Yes that decision actually shocked me given how Southgate is. It would have given him a sense of really being part of it. If we were to end up winning, then being a player in the squad who didn't play a single minute would be bitterly disappointing I would think. And if you don't get a run out at 4-0 up then when are you going to, particularly when someone who plays RB is favoured over you even for that 30 minutes.

And as for club management, I think he'd be better appreciated/respected at a "smaller club" eg maybe not a premier league side or at least a big six club but he'll be worth too much to work for a smaller or championship team either.

He didn't do very well at all at Boro but I think you're right, someone like Fulham or Bournemouth springs to mind as being somewhere he'd be given a bit of time perhaps. Although Woodgate did a good job there last season and hasn't been kept on, opting for a relegated Scott Parker instead!

He'd be the man who puts all cutlery facing one way in the drawer..." :LOL:
There's people who don't? :SHOCK: I'm in no way OCD but that's just plain wrong!

What truly was a breath of fresh air last night for England fans, was the fact that we got the second so quick after the interval. For as long as i can remember i could sit back and relax, as opposed to being a nervous wreck sitting on the edge of my seat. Although in the first half, walker got me on the edge of it a couple of times. :D

Whatever happens on Wednesday, with both teams showing good form, it should be a cracking game, as Denmark like to come forward, and that will open roads for us. I expect a confident "on it" game now from both teams.

However, saying that, with our games, it's like we spend most of the first half containing, and Southgate is analysing the opposition. Come the second half, come the plan. EDIT I meant to add, this bears great testament to the Scotland game who couldn't be breached in the second half. (they should treat all opposition as if they are England).

It's taken us a while to get going, but we are getting there.

Whatever will i do till Tuesday\Wednesday? there is always PES i suppose :COAT:

Last edited:
Congrats to England and all you fans!!!
It was too much for us, just play level was not comparable now. :(
Good luck with the EURO win!
Thanks mate, Shevchenko is a credit to you. Very gracious in defeat, a true sportsman. That is something that gets lost a lot in football nowadays, with this "win at all costs" mentality. Also you have shown good sportsmanship with this post. :APPLAUD: Thank you. Good luck for the future.

I will go for a hijack today, due to pause.. :D

17 years ago, 4th July 2004, a shitty National Team from a shitty country, participated for the second time its history in an official Euro Cup tournament. Totally 3rd time if you inclide World Cups. Euro 1980, World Cup 1994, Euro 2004.

The team had 1 point from 1 draw, from its previous participations. 3 straight looses from WC1994 and 1 draw in difficult group though in 1980. Lost to Czechoslovakia, Lost to Holland, 0-0 draw with West Germany.

Just to mention here, that the previous two teams of 1980 and 1994 were leagues superior in individual tanelted players, but lacked a lot in team work.

2004 was far less talented, but had solid defense, a master tactician coach, Herr Otto, and Teamwork and team spirit never seen before.

Just before the kickoff premiere against the hosts, Portugal, everyone in Greece were expecting, that we will probably be eliminated before Group stage ends.

All we a wanted was a solid performance out of 3 matches, and hopefully a win, so we will make our first official win in UEFA/FIFA competition and depart from Portugal with 1 or 3 points at best.

What happened next is known history. So practically it was one of the biggest, if not the biggest one surprises in football history.

Regarding the quality of the football played, unfortunately even today rewatchimg the highlights, I am too emotionally engaged to judge it unbiased..

Checking the tinier milestones, Greece achieved its first official win, it won the Tournament host in a premiere, qualified with total balance, remove a goal from anywhere, and everything is gone.

In the knockout stage, Greece won the previous Cup holder, France, and one of favorites to win the Euro, a France stacking, Henry, Trezeguet, Zidane, Pires, Makelele, Thuram, Gallas, etcc

Won the Tournaments best Form team Czech Republic, Nedved, young Rosicky, young Czech, prime Barros, prime Koller, etc.

Won the tourney hosts for second consecutive time, Portugal in the final, Figo, Rui Costa, Pauleta, Nuno Gomez, young Ronaldo, etc..

Later they had a bad performance in Euro 2008, a dexlcmt one in Euro 2012, two decent appearances in World Cup 2010 and 2014.

Today balance has been restored, National Team is shite again, Greek clubs are even shitttier than they were before 2004.. :)

Last edited:
Its was a very nice read, @slamsoze .

Im not gonna lie - back when I watched it Live - it wasnt an easy watch..

But:
1. If any of our teams won Euro/World Cup - no one would complain about how the team played.
2. Like you mentioned - France, Czech Republic, Portugal (twice) - All of them full of stars. It wasnt up to your team to play beautifully and create chances. It was up to them to do that in order to break you.
And they didnt.

So well done!

17 years ago, 4th July 2004, a shitty National Team from a shitty country, participated for the second time its history in an official Euro Cup tournament. Totally 3rd time if you inclide World Cups. Euro 1980, World Cup 1994, Euro 2004.

The team had 1 point from 1 draw, from its previous participations. 3 straight looses from WC1994 and 1 draw in difficult group though in 1980. Lost to Czechoslovakia, Lost to Holland, 0-0 draw with West Germany.

Just to mention here, that the previous two teams of 1980 and 1994 were leagues superior in individual tanelted players, but lacked a lot in team work.

2004 was far less talented, but had solid defense, a master tactician coach, Herr Otto, and Teamwork and team spirit never seen before.

Just before the kickoff premiere against the hosts, Portugal, everyone in Greece were expecting, that we will probably be eliminated before Group stage ends.

All we a wanted was a solid performance out of 3 matches, and hopefully a win, so we will make our first official win in UEFA/FIFA competition and depart from Portugal with 1 or 3 points at best.

What happened next is known history. So practically it was one of the biggest, if not the biggest one surprises in football history.

Regarding the quality of the football played, unfortunately even today rewatchimg the highlights, I am too emotionally engaged to judge it unbiased..

Checking the tinier milestones, Greece achieved its first official win, it won the Tournament host in a premiere, qualified with total balance, remove a goal from anywhere, and everything is gone.

In the knockout stage, Greece won the previous Cup holder, France, and one of favorites to win the Euro, a France stacking, Henry, Trezeguet, Zidane, Pires, Makelele, Thuram, Gallas, etcc

Won the Tournaments best Form team Czech Republic, Nedved, young Rosicky, young Czech, prime Barros, prime Koller, etc.

Won the tourney hosts for second consecutive time, Portugal in the final, Figo, Rui Costa, Pauleta, Nuno Gomez, young Ronaldo, etc..

Later they had a bad performance in Euro 2008, a dexlcmt one in Euro 2012, two decent appearances in World Cup 2010 and 2014.

Today balance has been restored, National Team is shite again, Greek clubs are even shitttier than they were before 2004.. :)
And then we bought Charisteas...

@slamsoze , I had a chance to rewatch some of Greek games from that summer and have to say many people who would do the same now would probably change their perception at least a bit. I remember I was annoyed by Greek game back in 2004, but now I came to think most of it was actually due to OTHER teams not being able to break Otto's defences. Many see Greece 2004 as antifootball, extremely defensive, "park the bus" side, while it was not exactly like that in reality. They didn't even defend that deep, well maybe except final minutes of the knockout games, especially the final against Portugal when Venetidis (I think?) came in as a seventh or so defender :) Very disciplined, agressive side that's true, but I was surprised how daring they were in multiple situations against the big teams. In the extratime against Czech Republic they actually had a couple of really good occasions just before that final corner, while Czechs looked pretty toothless and lost from the second half on.

Chelsea 2012 or some Mourinho's teams have been "parking the bus". Greece 2004, for the major part, not.

And we bought Chalkias :SHOCK: although I've tried to remove that from my memory. Later we had Basinas unfortunately too much later as he was past his (very good) best by then.

I heard a podcast about this recently from one of my favourite podcast producers - really enjoyed it.

The Totally Football Show - Reliving Euro 2004

The interviews were fascinating, with the Greek correspondent saying that the semi-final was a national celebration, but the final was less meaningful, because "we knew if we won the semi-final" (with the style of football you were playing) "then we would win the final", and that the feeling during the final was mildly sad because "we will never see this again in our lifetimes".

Is that REALLY accurate? Or is this guy insane? :D

@slamsoze , I had a chance to rewatch some of Greek games from that summer and have to say many people who would do the same now would probably change their perception at least a bit. I remember I was annoyed by Greek game back in 2004, but now I came to think most of it was actually due to OTHER teams not being able to break Otto's defences. Many see Greece 2004 as antifootball, extremely defensive, "park the bus" side, while it was not exactly like that in reality. They didn't even defend that deep, well maybe except final minutes of the knockout games, especially the final against Portugal when Venetidis (I think?) came in as a seventh or so defender :) Very disciplined, agressive side that's true, but I was surprised how daring they were in multiple situations against the big teams. In the extratime against Czech Republic they actually had a couple of really good occasions just before that final corner, while Czechs looked pretty toothless and lost from the second half on.

Chelsea 2012 or some Mourinho's teams have been "parking the bus". Greece 2004, for the major part, not.
Hahaha, dude very spot on note.

Especially the analysis about Czech game. For me this game, is why football and probably other sports are "magic" from time to time.

Czechs started hammering Greece with Nedved, Poborsky, Rosicky and the CF duo. I am sure the goalpost is still shaking from that Rosicky screamer that hit the post.

But as you said after second half they started collapsing physically but mentally too. In the extra time it bece so weird that Greece almost dominated the chances before the goal.

If anyone missed the 90 minutes and opened his TV in extra time, he would think that Greece was the superior team. Was almost misleading, and I honestly felt sad for Czech players. They were like completely surrendered.

Like it happens to Rocky movies, where he endure the whole match, and near the end he starts his counter attack.

I heard a podcast about this recently from one of my favourite podcast producers - really enjoyed it.

The Totally Football Show - Reliving Euro 2004

The interviews were fascinating, with the Greek correspondent saying that the semi-final was a national celebration, but the final was less meaningful, because "we knew if we won the semi-final" (with the style of football you were playing) "then we would win the final", and that the feeling during the final was mildly sad because "we will never see this again in our lifetimes".

Is that REALLY accurate? Or is this guy insane? :D
It is accurate if not 100%, then 99,9999%.

Maybe it would sound a little bit arrogant, but the approach to the Final was much different.

In the 1st and 2nd knockout games, everyone prematch, was like, what are we gonna do, it was good as long as it lasted, let's go and concede as few goals as possible, let's show some good attitude while saying goodbye to the competition, etc..

All the casts and interviews had some metaphysical context.

Before the final, suddenly it became a clear football terms discussion. I wouldn't say we were sure that the Cup is ours, but the facts were, we got farther then ever, it is just 90 minutes, it is a single knockout final, anything can happen, we will probably never again be in same position, Portugal is a team we "know" each other from the premiere.

For examp Le if it was Holland or England in the final, the morale would be lesser and much different or similar to France morale, because "new" opponents for us, New questionmarks, and the hopes would be again, let's just loose less than 0-4, etc..

And the stress of pressure was so big VS France and Czech that the final became a do or die..

I don't even know if a can make an analogy to 2016 Leicester or 2004 CL Porto, cause those are teams with more great football history.

Basically to be fair and not shite head, Leicester was not a do or die, cause it was a league win, a league is a marathon not a good or two or three good nights. It needs more than momentum.

Back
Top Bottom