The Euro 2020 Thread

I hope Jadon Sancho get tackled real hard and injured for half season, just because he agreed to join Manchester Utd.
As he was the last sub with England 0-1 down forcing Southgate to play all or nothing with 7 defenders and two strikers.

So (England fans) here we go again, still unsure to give it the big un. Another game that will turn into another glorious night or an absolute disaster. That is the millstone we carry. Unlike Italy who could easily talk of the final without much argument. We dare not to. Our experiences wont let us. However i just feel that if we get them all back in the lions den, anything could be possible.

I think Southgate's dilemma atm is figuring out if the Ukraine will play four or three at the back, so he must have a couple of options running through is mind.
Statistics would put us has favourites, but we know how this has played out in the past. I do love these games though, this is what it's all about.
No offence but it does beat boring qualifiers.

Regarding the acting...totally agree. However sometimes i feel the camera can lie, for instance one Italian player went down holding his face. On the replay the contact seemed minimal (cue me, starting to bellow at the screen) Then the poor bloke got to his feet and looked like he had a Black eye coming. :EMB:
yeah I was going to mention that one but at least with retroactive punishment that would be seen to not be playacting.

I'm wondering what will happen if England concede a goal and Southgate is forced to get creative.

This is what I've been wondering. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad thing to concede early and then maybe he'd let the shackles off.

With today's game though you would expect Ukraine to sit back a bit and look to counter and we generally struggle to break teams down like that so we could probably do with an early goal ourselves. If that's what they do (and they may well not of course) then we need to get our full backs overlapping. It would also help if Sancho is playing as rumoured because at least he'll be able to go outside as well. If we do that we might actually get some service to Kane. Although if crosses are to be our main weapon then it would actually make sense to play Calvert-Lewin.

I hope for a semi final between England and Denmark and then some David Goliath type stuff...

Just trying to work out who is who... :LOL:

Well I think as an England fan, we're in the Croatia spot 3 years ago... It's more about the journey, the goal of getting further than we have any right to than actually winning this tournament. When we were in that semi final in Russia, I thought even if we win, than what? We'll be like children on the pitch compared to France and this year I think it'll be the same thing, Italy are resembling Spain 2012 and probably can't do no wrong at this point.

Regarding the second point, I know, I want to love Italy but that bullshit just about absolves them of any dignity by this point.

How can you have Immobile and Donnarumma laying on the floor feigning crippling agony for no contact while their own team mate Spinazzola stayed on his feet accepting his injury and that his dream was over, calling for his own removal and only went to ground when Cristiante insisted so to relieve him of his pain? What an insult.
Italy playing like spain and spain winning that semi like italy.
I hope Uefa forces italy to play in that away thing to make the drama complete.
(I'll probably eat a lot of words)

Could be me again, getting the British sayings wrong.
When people wish others an injury, a massive one that takes a player out half a season, i just don’t get it.
Why would anyone wish harm of that kind to another person?!
I’ll end this here from my side.
@PRO_TOO for president!~

Could be me again, getting the British sayings wrong.
When people wish others an injury, a massive one that takes a player out half a season, i just don’t get it.
Why would anyone wish harm of that kind to another person?!
I’ll end this here from my side.
I know what you mean, but the funny bit came as it was Manchester United. Like if The potato himself, played for united, he would injure himself badly. :LOL:

Discussion on the first Danish goal (clearly not a corner) from a head of referees
VAR can't tell the refs it was the wrong decision.
This is getting more and more confusing and dumb.

Got to say UEFA are a disgrace for using Baku as a venue (particularly putting it in a group where the other games are in Rome!) but also especially for the knockout stages. 2 teams flying over 2000 miles to play a quarter final in 30+ degrees heat. Both teams were out on their feet by about 65 minutes.

The scheduling for this tournament is so unfair for some teams whilst others are virtually playing the whole thing at home. Yes there's covid, but why couldn't they have played that in Budapest, Munich, Sevilla etc? Oh yes I know, money.

Discussion on the first Danish goal (clearly not a corner) from a head of referees
VAR can't tell the refs it was the wrong decision.
This is getting more and more confusing and dumb.

The other nonsense is an offside flag not put up and assuming it was a close one so the linesman doesn't put it up afterwards a goal is scored and then rightly ruled out. But, same scenario, however the shot is saved for a corner, offside not reviewed, team scores from the corner and it's a goal!

Will we see England or Ingurland today?

Depends who you talk to :LOL: Pleased to see Sancho get a game but why now after seemingly not wanting to use him before? Perfect opportunity to use Grealish with Saka out. Switch Sterling so he can run outside the full back for a change and cross whilst Grealish wins about 400 free kicks.

On another note, really pleased to see two keepers on the bench one again. Just why? Can someone please explain the benefits of not having Reece-James, our best attacking right back of the three available, on the bench instead of a third keeper!

Got to say UEFA are a disgrace for using Baku as a venue (particularly putting it in a group where the other games are in Rome!) but also especially for the knockout stages. 2 teams flying over 2000 miles to play a quarter final in 30+ degrees heat. Both teams were out on their feet by about 65 minutes.

The scheduling for this tournament is so unfair for some teams whilst others are virtually playing the whole thing at home. Yes there's covid, but why couldn't they have played that in Budapest, Munich, Sevilla etc? Oh yes I know, money.

The other nonsense is an offside flag not put up and assuming it was a close one so the linesman doesn't put it up afterwards a goal is scored and then rightly ruled out. But, same scenario, however the shot is saved for a corner, offside not reviewed, team scores from the corner and it's a goal!
Utter disgrace and rules are so fuzzy,even more strange decision having var than not having it in some games.

And on Baku and Azerbaijan
It's so poor and clearly only reason is that Platini did pocket money by giving them games.

Depends who you talk to :LOL: Pleased to see Sancho get a game but why now after seemingly not wanting to use him before? Perfect opportunity to use Grealish with Saka out. Switch Sterling so he can run outside the full back for a change and cross whilst Grealish wins about 400 free kicks.

On another note, really pleased to see two keepers on the bench one again. Just why? Can someone please explain the benefits of not having Reece-James, our best attacking right back of the three available, on the bench instead of a third keeper!
Hope to see a good game,best of luck Matt/Buzzy/Chris/Marlon and others.

Cheers Ricky. Let's hope Southgate let's the reins off tonight and if we go out so be it, would rather go out like that than go out being cautious.

England has so much quality, plus defensive compactness. I truly can't see how Ukraine can put it off. I would have bet on it if it wasn't that it's not really my thing.

Back
Top Bottom