Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread

Ben, as always, it's a PLEASURE reading your posts. :SAL:

Edit: Sina is alive?! :-pp

It's what I hear. :-pp

Corini is quite old (he plays with Torino now and isn't he playing CMF with another former Palermo player who was in the same team and who also went to the WC with Italy...don't remember his name).

Simone Barone, amigo.

Somewhat under-rated throughout much of his career I felt.

Genoa for Serie A - we had a good season last year finishing 10 with Borriello on form! :D unfortunately hes gone back to Milan :( but I think we can still do well!

Forza Genoa!

Gerd said:
Do you think US Palermo have a better team than in the 2005-2006 season ???

that palermo was quite a team..... but our attack was pretty shaky tbh.
i never had high expectations on makinwa (he nigerian guy), and time proved me right. he was unbelievably fast and agile but that's football we're talking about, not track and field. he has not enough familiarity with the ball to play in italy imo.

and Caracciolo (the big italian foward u're mentioning), oh he's maybe the biggest flop of the italian footie in the last 10 years. this guy has an amazing potential; a fantastic touch (for a 1,94 meters tall player), a great "goal-feeling", a very good shot.
mother nature gifted him with a great "build". he just had to work on it a bit, to increase his muscle power.
but for some reason i really won't ever understand, he never did it..... and for some even more weird reasons none of his coaches ever forced him to work his ass off at the gym!!

thereby, he has the same balance of an autumn leaf; u just slightly blow on him and he falls. actually it amazes me how he doesn't just fly away during windy days, that lazy bastard.
1,94 meters tall and 73 kilos weight.... For God sake u're a football player, not a climbing pole! he's 4 centimeters taller than me and weighs 7 kilos less than me! :CONFUSE:... and i always considered myself as a pretty fit man.

if Barone, as Sina correctly pointed out, is one of the most underrated central midfielders in italy, Caracciolo is definitely one of the most overrated strikers. i really can't understand why so many top teams still try to get him during every transfer window.

so, with such a unreliable attack, even though the rest of the team was great, we weren't able to do anything better than a 8th place in serie a.

the real benchmark for palermo, Gerd, is the 2004/2005 season, our first season in serie a. that team was the same of the 2005/2006 amazing team, but with zauli and toni, instead of caracciolo and makinwa.
----------------------toni
----------------------zauli
---------santana-----------------m. gonzales
-----------------corini---barone
grosso----------------------------------------zaccardo
----------------barzagli--terlizzi

what a great team that was! Terlizzi and Gonzales were probably the only "just good" players. all the others were world class or slightly below that level.
grosso on the left, zaccardo on the right, an amazing midfield partnership (Sina u're soooo right about Barone, what a fantastic player he is!!). Corini painting his marvelous trajectories with the ball....
... and finally one of the purest talents italy produced in the last 30 years; Lamberto Zauli. Damn i miss him. he makes Miccoli look like an amateur football player.

I don't know if our current team is better than the 2005/2006 one (the one with caracciolo and makinwa). that was a great team, but with caracciolo and makinwa upfront, it was like monica bellucci with acne marks on her face...

the 2004/2005 team instead, that was definitely better than this one.... that team was even better than the current fiorentina. :((

PLF said:
Ben, as always, it's a PLEASURE reading your posts.
:beer:
cheers man :))

Edmundo said:
Looks like Lazio are finally putting together a nice team.

I hope Napoli signs more players.

i'm not so sure about Lazio tbh. Marino (napoli) instead is building a hell of a team! :TU:
but afterall we can'texpect enything less from that genius :))

DoveLaVittoria said:
Genoa for Serie A - we had a good season last year finishing 10 with Borriello on form! unfortunately hes gone back to Milan but I think we can still do well!

Forza Genoa!

it won't be easy to replace Borriello (it would be nice to see di vaio back to his level), but the rest of the team is even stronger than last season.
modesto and palladino on the left, mesto and gasbarroni on the right, juric, milanetto and rossi at midfield, rubinho protecting the goal.... that's some team!!! :w00t:

Last edited:

If I remember correctly the year Palermo got promoted, he was already 32. I think hes playing in a much lower league now. His full name is Lamberto Zauli.

Very tasty opening day to Serie A:

Atalanta – Siena
Cagliari – Lazio
Catania – Genoa
Chievo – Reggina
Fiorentina – Juventus :SMOKIN:
Milan – Bologna :w00t:
Roma – Napoli :SMOKIN:
Sampdoria – Inter :SMOKIN:
Torino – Lecce
Udinese – Palermo :SMOKIN:

Milan-Inter 5th day (28 settembre)
Juventus-Torino 8th (26 ottobre)
Roma-Lazio 12th (18 novembre)
Sampdoria-Genoa 15th (7 dicembre)
Inter-Roma 7th day (19 ottobre)
Fiorentina-Inter 9th (29 ottobre)
Juve-Roma 10th (2 novembre)
Inter-Juve 13th (23 novembre)
Juve-Milan 16th (14 dicembre)
Roma-Milan 18th (11 gennaio)

Last edited:
Re: Serie A Thread - Fixtures Released!

Just read that 'five' won't be showing Serie A next season so theres currently no channel showing Italian football next season. I think the only thing that would change that is if Lampard moves to Inter.

Sucks. I thought the Channel 5 coverage was actually quite good. They had guests on every week too and Laura was nice to look at.

Juve v Fiorentina, what a match it will be and what a way to open the season. I hope we can win the first game, to show we are capable to go for the title, and we are not threatened by the likes of Milan and Inter.

Lo Zio, what happened to that Zauli. I never heard of him, i presume he was transferred.

in 2005 he moved to sampdoria. then he spent 2 seasons at bologna.
now he's playing for cremonese.:))
As Stefano said, when he joined Palermo he was already old. Moreover he had to face many serious injuries throughout his entire carreer (his knees are as fragile as crystal), so even when he was 28, his "physical age" was way older than his real age.
but God, what a football player he was!!!

so the fixtures are already out....
just take a look at palermo's first 8 weeks

udinese (away)
roma (home)
genoa (home)
napoli (away)
reggina (home)
juve (away)
catania (away)
fiorentina (home)

:((
it doesn't look promising at all... the only "weak side" we'll face in the first 8 weeks is reggina.

after the first 8 weeks we might have only a few points..... and we still will have to face the likes of inter, milan, samp. :-ll

EDIT:
i forgot to mention that the ridiculous trial about the atalanta - livorno matches ended with an acquittal. the judges wrote in the verdict that the trial ended coz of the absolute lack of any evidence.
now, if magistrate Palazzi has some dignity, he MUST resign! :SHAKE:

an acquittal verdict for total lack of evidences.... it's as though the judges said "mr. Palazzi, u're a complete moron"

Last edited:

Hopefully Fiorentina vs. Juventus will be shown live in the UK. And I wish 'five' would get their finger out and produce a highlights programme.

They did on a saturday morning, only half hour it was pretty shoddy.

Sucks. I thought the Channel 5 coverage was actually quite good. They had guests on every week too and Laura was nice to look at.

FFS I knew this would happen, atleast they could have bought
the coverage and showed it on one of their digital channels
like Fiver(fuck all on there and the other one).

Ah well maybe Santana
SETANTA_SPORTS_RGB.jpg
will pick it up.

are u guys telling me that right now there is no serie a coverage in uk for this season??? :BLINK:

however tim cup tonite. it's just summer football and it can't even be called football (a football match last 90 minutes), but, there's no such thing as a friendly match between inter and juve...or milan and inter, so it should be fun.

juve should win easily, as they started the athletic preparation 3 weeks before milan and inter (to get ready for the champions league premiminary matches).

actually i wouldn't be surprised if inter and milan would come out with an awful performance. heavy legs for the muscular training, new schemes to learn for the nerazzurri, pato and ronaldinho missing for the rossoneri.

moreover inter has some injury troubles at the back (samuel and cordoba), and milan has to deal with nesta's usual back injuries, and with borriello's injury.... marco should be out for the next 8 weeks, wich is a tragedy, as he will miss the whole summer athletic preparation (wich might have a bad impact on his entire season).
and, since inzaghi is injured too, tonite ancelotti should line up paloschi upfront (i'm pretty curious to watch the kid once again).
i'm also looking foward to see flamini. i didn't watch last milan friendly match, but i saw the highlights, and flamini looked awesome.

Dom, why did u change your nick?!!!! "Don Domenico" was cool! :))
oh well, at least i won't call u Dominick anymore :LOL:
did u see poulsen's assist? :w00t:

There's no rivalry in this friendly, come on Ben ;)

FORZA MILAN!!! LETS WIN THIS TIM CUP AND HAVE A NEW BADGE *VINCITORE DEL TIM CUP*!!!!!!!!! LETS KILL DEL PIERO, J. ZANETTI AND ALL OF THEIR STARS COME ON LETS WIN THIS AND RIP THEM APART!!!;)...

I'm most interested in our GK performance, Kaka's performance, and Zambrotta's performance to be honest.

:DD

who do u reckon will be the starting gk tonite?

(i still can't believe we were able to get amelia :DANCE:)

Abhi said:
I bet Palermo win Serie A, if they play with that team Ben
:DD
i just noticed i forgot to mention cavani :-pp

Last edited:

are u guys telling me that right now there is no serie a coverage in uk for this season??? :BLINK:

however tim cup tonite. it's just summer football and it can't even be called football (a football match last 90 minutes), but, there's no such thing as a friendly match between inter and juve...or milan and inter, so it should be fun.

juve should win easily, as they started the athletic preparation 3 weeks before milan and inter (to get ready for the champions league premiminary matches).

actually i wouldn't be surprised if inter and milan would come out with an awful performance. heavy legs for the muscular training, new schemes to learn for the nerazzurri, pato and ronaldinho missing for the rossoneri.

moreover inter has some injury troubles at the back (samuel and cordoba), and milan has to deal with nesta's usual back injuries, and with borriello's injury.... marco should be out for the next 8 weeks, wich is a tragedy, as he will miss the whole summer athletic preparation (wich might have a bad impact on his entire season).
and, since inzaghi is injured too, tonite ancelotti should line up paloschi upfront (i'm pretty curious to watch the kid once again).
i'm also looking foward to see flamini. i didn't watch last milan friendly match, but i saw the highlights, and flamini looked awesome.

Dom, why did u change your nick?!!!! "Don Domenico" was cool! :))
oh well, at least i won't call u Dominick anymore :LOL:
did u see poulsen's assist? :w00t:

I feel freed now. :-pp

Yeah, I saw Poulsen's assist. Alonso-style longball :mrgreen:.

Pretty happy with Juve's preperation so far, decent outing in the tim trophy and good performance vs dortmund. More so than the scores, i'm happy because we look like a team. Well balanced. Tough to breakdown and practical in offence.

Fausto Rossi :-ll, the guy is 17(youngest player of the primavera team!) and he tore Maicon a new asshole.
Same for Ekdal, turned 19 in the weekend and bossed the midfield (although playing with monsters like Camo, Sissoko and Poulsen helps of course).

Sì, lo so. È pazzo! Bit of news however... Setanta, ITV and Sky (:w00t:) were all interested in the rights but all three appear to have been put off by the amount required. I guess if an English footballer moved to a Serie A team, there would be no problem. Over to you, Frank Lampard.

I feel freed now. :-pp

Yeah, I saw Poulsen's assist. Alonso-style longball :mrgreen:.

Pretty happy with Juve's preperation so far, decent outing in the tim trophy and good performance vs dortmund. More so than the scores, i'm happy because we look like a team. Well balanced. Tough to breakdown and practical in offence.

Fausto Rossi :-ll, the guy is 17(youngest player of the primavera team!) and he tore Maicon a new asshole.
Same for Ekdal, turned 19 in the weekend and bossed the midfield (although playing with monsters like Camo, Sissoko and Poulsen helps of course).

Think you'll get your real challenge against the Kings of Europe on the 6th :king:

Anyone see Seedorf's goal against Juve last night? Him and Kaka were great for Milan last night, especially Kaka who owned Inter all night. Good performance by Abbiati against Inter too. I thought Ambrosini was our best against Juve.

Last edited:

Foxtrot said:
Sì, lo so. È pazzo!
:)) very good! But u should say "pazzesco" rather than "pazzo" in this case.

pazzo is usually referred to people.
that man is crazy - quell'uomo è pazzo.

when u talk about situations, facts, circumstances, then "pazzesco" is the most appropriate word.
british television didn't bought serie a tv rights yet, that's crazy - la televisione inglese non ha ancora comprato i diritti tv della serie a, questo è pazzesco.

Foxtrot said:
I guess if an English footballer moved to a Serie A team, there would be no problem. Over to you, Frank Lampard.

i see. i guess u're right, but i can't help thinking that's crazy (or pazzesco, as u please:DD).
Lampard is a great player (maybe better than many english think he is, as i always though he is slightly underrated by british), but let's be honest, he wouldn't raise serie a's quality if he would join inter..... he wouldn't even be among the best advanced midfielders in serie a.
.... but still he could make serie a interesting for the british televisions!?! that's ridiculous. and it remarks the unbelievable lack of knowledge of british football media.
i mean i can understand if some people in this forum think serie a isn't worthy to be followed. it's just a bunch of brainless idiots, who just repeat what they heard, without realizing that they don't even know if what they're saying is actually true....
serie a is boring, the team's tactic are conservative, the teams just go for a 1-0 and then try to defend that result, mid-table premiership clubs are better than serie a mid table clubs (that's the funniest of them all:LOL:) blah, blah, blah......

but afterall, that's pretty normal, they're not supposed to know football, so they just repeat what they heard. they haven't a witting opinion about serie a, coz they don't know serie a. they just watch 4, 5 matches per season (inter-milan, roma-juve, or fiorentina- milan) and they think that's enough to have a sensible knowledge of italian footy.
but as i said, there's no shame in this. they're not supposed to know football..... but those people who have to decide whether to buy serie a tv rights or not, they ARE supposed to know football, coz football is their work, for fucking sake!
a football broadcasting company MUST buy AT LEAST the top 5 leagues tv rights (serie a, premiership, bundesliga, liga, ligue un).
and it's not a matter of money, coz that's the least u can do (here in italy we even got russian league, brazilian and argentinian league, scottish league, dutch league and mls coverage).
oh well, let's hope they'll do something.

however, talking about yesterday, the first 2 matches (milan-juve and inter juve) were really good. abbiati and ambrosini were great... and that kid, that Fausto Rossi, was really impressive.
i've already heard a lot of good things about him, but i never saw him playing until yesterday :))

Last edited:

Milan really showed that they need a striker last night. As for GK I think Abbiati had a great night and a great PK shootout, and pretty much deserves number 1. Seedorf was class

As for juve, Nedved showed that he still got it. Iaquinta was class also.

As for Inter, I wasnot impressed at all.

Ben, you are right but the sad fact is that I can't see the coverage of european football getting any better in England for a long time. I dont know if Lampard would really make that much difference, maybe if he signed the interest would increase but most people in England hate him anyway, it's not like he's a Beckham or Gerrard.

I remember ages ago we had a disucssion in PLF's thread about it. It's a vicious circle really, we get poor coverage, so people make those stupid stereotypes of other leagues because they've never really watched them and then following that they dont want to watch them, so the TV companies are reluctant to buy the coverage and the people who would love to watch them don't get to.

And on top of that, to watch live games you have to subscribe to Sky Sports and that isn't exactly cheap and then you only get a couple of Premier League & La Liga games a week plus the odd cup and CCC game. Then you gotta get crappy Setanta which costs more money for a few more games, a couple of european games.

It's such a load of bullshit it really pisses me off.:censor:

Jumberto said:
I remember ages ago we had a disucssion in PLF's thread about it. It's a vicious circle really, we get poor coverage, so people make those stupid stereotypes of other leagues because they've never really watched them and then following that they dont want to watch them, so the TV companies are reluctant to buy the coverage and the people who would love to watch them don't get to.

that's an interesting theory mate, and it makes sense... but imo the situation is different.
the unchecked growth of the mass production system messed up the whole "demand-supply" logic.
today the supply doesn't follow the demand anymore. the marketing strategies (who almost became a science today) brought the companies to "create a demand".
until 30 years ago the "market" used to provide anything it was necessary to satisfy the customers needs.
today, the companies fill the market of products and goods even if there's no demand for those products yet. Later, their marketing strategies take care of creating the demand for those products.
just look at the global market, look at our homes... they're all filled of things we don't really need... but we bought those goods... coz we were persuaded we actually needed them.
And TV programs are products too, of course, they're immaterial goods, and the same logic is applied to them (just think about the big brother; it's stupid, boring, morbid. No clever man or woman would ever watch it.... but still it became a world-wide succesful program).

well, this distorted, disgusting marketing logic, may still bring something good when applied to some products. and football leagues tv coverage is one of theese products.
let me do an example. up till 10 years ago, if u would have asked to an italian "what do u think about english football" he probably would have replied "oh gosh, those barbarians, that's not football, that's just running with a ball between your foot".

"what about spanish football then?"
"oh please, they don't know how to defend. their cbs act like they were central midfielders. every match ends with ridiculous high scores thanks to their non-existing defensive lines, and they are even proud of it, coz they think that means they're good at football"

"and what about french football?"
"french football? do they play football in France too?"

we didn't know anything about european football, and we didn't care. there wasn't a demand of premiership, ligue un, or bundesliga.
but still, the italian tv companies realised that if they have showed us what english, french, german or spanish football is really about, we would have got rid of our prejudices and stereotypes, we would have enjoyed following those leagues (and they would have make more money in long term).

as a result, if u ask an italian today what does he thinks about german, english, spanish or french footie, he will start talking about Puel's great football, about Pellegrino's villareal, about the great growth of everton.....

it's up to the networks to do the first step. they have to know the european leagues and their potential, thay have to educate us about foreign countries football culture.
because there's no football addict who wouldn't fall in love with serie a's footie, liga's footie, bundesliga's footie. we just need someone to widen our horizon.

after the great achievements of russian footie in the past few years (cska and zenith's results in uefa cup and the russian national team at the last euro cuo) this summer sky italia realized there's some potential in this league and decided to buy russian league tv rights.
well italian people is loving it and the audience is growing every week.
sky italia is increasing the quality of their "package" and the italian customers are enjoying some russian football.

so, imo the real responsibles are not the customers, not the english ignorant "football lovers". the networks are the ones to blame, coz it's up to them to do the first step. the real problem is that the whole british media industry doesn't know anything about football. they're as ignorant, chauvinist, blind as those stupid football fans we were talking about before. and coz of their crass ignorance they can't even see the great financial profit margin hidden in serie a tv coverage.

if that (notional) evo web member who said serie a is boring coz the teams just try to score 1 goal and then defend for the whole match, would have been able to follow serie a, he would know that serie a and premiership have the same average goal per match (2.64 for premiership; 2.55 for serie a).
if he would have been able to watch empoli, atalanta, parma, cagliari, genoa, napoli or samp, the he would realize what makes serie a so special.

but if nobody gives him a chance to watch serie a, he won't ever realize it. he will keep saying that serie a is rubbish, that the teams don't play fancy attacking football, he will keep talking about "anti-football", he will keep saying that everton is a better team than fiorentina, or that aston villa is better than samp, that west ham is better than genoa, that sunderland is better than torino.
he will remain a silly ignorant.

sorry for the long post :-pp

Zeem said:
As for Inter, I wasnot impressed at all.
inter begun the summer athletic preparation just 1 week ago, and they have a lot of injured players... besides, being such a "tall team", it's pretty normal for them to have very heavy legs at this moment.
they won't reach their athletic peak until october. :))

Back
Top Bottom