Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread

If only Claudio was more assertive about his transfer targets to Blanc/Secco/Gigli the following would not have happened.

Flamini was on a free transfer.We offered hin 3 mil.per year and Milan offered 4 mil.Of course he choose Milan.
At that his demands about wages were too high for us.Maybe I agree that time.Now we sign Poulsen for 10 mil, and 3,5 mil.per year.
So who is cheap and who is expensive, who is clever and who is stupid.
Flamini is a better player than Poulsen and would costs us 8 million less for four years.

This f***wit Secco needs to be 'outed' as a deliberate Juventus harmer.

Poulsen's tranfer is 9.5m

Flamini will get 5m a year at Milan.

0 + 5 x 4 = 20
9.5 + 4 x 3.5 = 23.5

The 3.5m is not confirmed by the way, sources say it'll be nearer to 3m a year..

Minimal difference, and i'm not sure Flamini is better. Flamini had one oustanding season, while Poulsen has performed very well for many years now.

Poulsen may not be what we needed(of course i'd have preffered Alonso), but he is a good player nonetheless so.

Buffon
Zebina Legrottaglie Chiellini De Ceglie
Sissoko Camoranesi Poulsen
Amauri Trezeguet Del Piero

Looks very formidable. Especially with alternatives like Iaquinta, Nedved, Giovinco and Zanetti. Lack of depth was one of the problems we faced last season.

Seems Ronaldinho has chosen Milan, Gazzetta are doing an hourly update of the situation and now Galliani, Ronaldinho, Laporta and Ronnie's agent all left saying that all went to plan and Milan met the transfer demands. Now a couple of days to evaluate the offer and finalize the deal apparently.

Poulsen's tranfer is 9.5m

Flamini will get 5m a year at Milan.

0 + 5 x 4 = 20
9.5 + 4 x 3.5 = 23.5

The 3.5m is not confirmed by the way, sources say it'll be nearer to 3m a year..

Minimal difference, and i'm not sure Flamini is better. Flamini had one oustanding season, while Poulsen has performed very well for many years now.

Poulsen may not be what we needed(of course i'd have preffered Alonso), but he is a good player nonetheless so.

Buffon
Zebina Legrottaglie Chiellini De Ceglie
Sissoko Camoranesi Poulsen
Amauri Trezeguet Del Piero

Looks very formidable. Especially with alternatives like Iaquinta, Nedved, Giovinco and Zanetti. Lack of depth was one of the problems we faced last season.

hey but don, dont you think sissoko and poulsen play the same position?

i think juventus is gonna be a force, as always

I've had it now!!! :MAD:

first we actually go and sign Poulsen...

...now that muppet Ranieri is saying our transfer market is now closed.... we have a strong enough squad...:-ll

strong enough for what a 5th/6th place finish?!!!!

I was willing to give the guy the benefit of doubt... but seriously.... claudio... f off and manage someone like toro!!!!

The small minded f wit has finally shown us that he is nothing but small time!!!

Just hope Elkan and co go above the muppet's head and get us couple more players..........please :pray:

hey but don, dont you think sissoko and poulsen play the same position?

i think juventus is gonna be a force, as always

Kind of. As I said, we lacked depth last year. First half of the season, Zanetti was the only performing central midfielder(what a performance though, the guy was one of serie a's topassisters surprisingly). With Sissoko there only the second half of the season. Camoranesi had to play in the centre regularly in the second half last season, due to having no cover when Zanetti was out injured. We lost a lot of points last season against the 'easier' sides( we won against all the big teams), when (key-)players were missing.

Ranieri's rationale behind this move is both what I wrote above and that according to the stats, we should improve somewhat defensively. Our attack was the best in Serie A together with Roma. Our defencive numbers were worse than Inter's.

I would have preffered Alonso to Poulsen, but creativity is only a means to results. Any combination of Zanett/Poulsen/Sissoko will be very frustrating for any side and our attackers are second to none anywhere.

Though I do worry in tight matches, that we have noone to open up play from midfield. A lot wil rest on Camo's shoulders as always and perhaps on Giovinco's development. With players like Amauri and Del Piero having to pull something out of nothing upfront. I'm sure we'll play with a very opertunistic style.

Last edited:

hi guys :))
got to say i'm a bit surprised by juve's last buy. Poulsen is a very good player, u can't argue with that. what surprises me is the way they handled this situation.

first u go for a playmaker (wich tbf was exactly what juve needed). they decided to go for xabi, who is an excellent playmaker. honestly i thought ledesma might have been more useful than xabi. xabi is definitely a better playmaker, but ledesma is a bit more "suited" to juve's football, and he's definitely cheaper than alonso.
but hey, if they decided to go for alonso, it means they can afford it.

now apparently alonso's wage was out of reach for juve (at the moment).... but what the fuck, they should have known it before starting the negotiations, no??

so, apparently they changed target and decided to get.... Poulsen, who is a completely different kind of player.... imo this shows a serious lack of "plot" in juve's strategies.... wasn't a playmaker juve's most important need????

and then there's the Poulsen deal situation. juve paid the entire "escape clause" (9, 75 millions)...... but spanish clubs put those clauses just to establish a "negotiating starting point" (or to protect themselves from other clubs aggressive strategies). u're not supposed to pay the whole clause, u have a talk with monchi and start negotiating to decrease the price.
Secco talked to momchi, Monchi told him "we're not letting poulsen leave for less then 9,75" (the amount of the escape clause) and then Secco just gave up and paid him what monchi asked :CONFUSE:
u're supposed to negotiate, u idiot! U can't expect sevilla to establish a reasonable price at the first meeting, u have to fight.... that's a team director's duty.... otherwise there would be no point in having a sport director (the president could handle the transfer market just by himself, if he wasn't supposed to negotiate, to fight).

Poulsen's contract was about to expire in 12 months, if i remember well.... so it was not that hard to persuade monchi to decrease his demands.

so juve spent about 10 millions euros... FOR A THIRD PICK!!!
coz no matter how good is Poulsen (and i think he's very good) he's not as good as a fit zanetti..... and after watching sissoko's terrific impact in juve last season, i'd say sissoko too is ahead of him in the depth chart.

Dom, u posted an hypothetical 4-3-3 starting formation with poulsen as a starter. and with that formation poulsen would definitely be a starter..... but i can't see ranieri using a 4-3-3 formation as juve's usual gaming system for the whole season. that might be a good choice in some circumstances, for some matches.... but it couldn't be juve's standard starting formation.
amauri has the technique, the pace and the strenght to handle that role..... and del piero too could play as a winger...... but alex always said he doesn't wanna play as a winger. he consider himself as a foward, and he wouldn't accept to play in that role for the whole season.... afterall that's the reason why he left italy's national team.... he didn't want to play as a winger. he might accept to do it sometimes, but not on a regular basis.
moreover i don't think juve has the fullbacks required to play that system. maybe molinaro could handle the entire flank, but i don't think zebina and grygera could.... and de ceglie, well, maybe he's still too young to handle such a big responsability (taking care of the entire flank just by himself).

...so it's 10 millions for a third pick!!! wtf mutarelli (who is a hell of a defensive midfielder too) will probably leave lazio for about 4 millions euros.... and he's not gonna ask for more than a 2 millions wage!!!!

and shall we talk about marchisio??? what is juve going to do with him? i hope he will be sent somewhere else coz it would be disgraceful to leave such a young talent warming the bench for the whole season (wich is definitely what will happen now that juve already has sissoko, zanetti and poulsen).

Martin, talking about the poulsen-flamini comparison, those 2 deals seem to be pretty close at first sight, but there's another factor u should consider.
even though "money-wise" the flamini deal doesn't look much more expensive than the poulsen deal, the flamini deal would have caused a huge imbalance in juve's dressing room.

flamini was on a free transfer. players on free transfer usually ask "heavy" wages (flamini asked 5 millions). now, if juve would have given those 5 millions to flamini, soon they would have been forced to re-negotiate also sissoko, chiellini, camoranesi and iaquinta deals, increasing their wages to decrease this imbalance (wich might have a bad impact on the dressing room)...

so the flamini deal would have been much more expensive than it might look.... much more than 20 millions (5 millions for 4 years).
milan didn't have this problems coz most of his players already earn about 5 millions per year (while juve's average wage is way lower).
however, having said this, i still share your worries about Secco's abilities, and as i said earlier, i don't think he did a good job.
juve's main need was a playmaker. so far Secco already spent more than 22 millions euros (for amauri and poulsen), and still didn't provide a proper playmaker :-ll

Spot on Ben. I still don't understand the logic behind the Poulsen move. Ok, you can't buy Alonso, so you buy Stankovic, or as you say, Ledesma, similar players. But they went out and bought Poulsen? :SS

I mean, Poulsen is a very, very good player, but they already have similar players. After all the talk about Diego, Van der Vaart, Alonso, Stankovic, you go out and buy Poulsen?!!

Also agree about 4-3-3. Juventus don't have the full backs to play that formation. Very wierd indeed. And now they're saying their transfers are done?

Very weird indeed by Ranieri...

yep. However is not a bad signing. poulsen is a very useful player. he's a bit more tactically-educated than sissoko (but less strong).
tactically and technique-wise, he's still nowhere near zanetti, but zanetti is a fucking monster so there's no shame in being worse than him.
besides, unlike zanetti, he doesn't seem to get injured often.

so it's not an awful move.... i just can't understand how they moved from xabi to poulsen (as u pointed out, abhi).

from a financial point of view, 10 millions is not really cheap, but it isn't that expensive either (the wage instead, 3 millions for a player like poulsen.... that's a bit too much imo).
so also from this point of view, it's not the best choice, but it's not a disgraceful choice either.

and btw what Dom said is definitely true "creativity is only a means to results"

but still, i think juve gave us the feeling there's not a definite plot behind their strategies (from xabi to poulsen?:SS).
and talking about the money, even though it was not an awful deal (it could have been cheaper after a proper negotiation, but not that much cheaper, afterall), i can't help thinking those 23 millions could have been spent in a better way.

Aboutreika said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/7490528.stm

What's going on now?

nothing serious mate.
the thing is mr. Palazzi, the magistrate who took mr. Borrelli's place as "serie a inquirer", seems to be one of those magistrates who care more about their tv and newspapers appearances than taking care of their duties.
As a matter of fact those charges are not supported by any kind of evidence.

here are the facts.
atalanta - livorno (almost end of the season) an atalanta victory would trash livorno in serie b. Atalanta won, thanks to padoin's goal, and livorno got relegated.

filippini (former Livorno player) was trying to console his ex teammates, once the match was over. apparently padoin insulted one of em and then filippini shout down padoin, telling him to shut up.
pretty normal isn't it.... well not for mr. Palazzi, who thought filippini was mad with padoin because he scored the goal the ruined his evil match-fixing plans :LOL:

and then why also grandoni was charged, u might ask..... because he was talking with filippini and switching his shirt with him after the match.... what a crime!:LOL:

and afterall, we're talking about a match wich ended 3-2 with a goal scored just before the final whistle.... it takes to be completely idiots to think it was fixed :CONF:

and what about the livorno - atalanta match? well, since mr. palazzi wasn't able to support his charges with any evidence at all, he decided to extend the inquiry to the first match too..... coz it ended with a boring 1-1 :LOL:

what a joke. i really can't see why abete still didn't fire him and replace him with a more serious magistrate.

I agree about the lack of plot, but I was just trying to put a positive perspective on it. Try to figure out their rationale.

Flamini was Ranieri's first choise and Poulsen is similar to him at least. Though it doesn't explain why Alonso was the alternative. Ranieri said the stats shows we needed more defence instead of more offence, but not sure wether that's any indication of a plan(or lack thereof) or just a cover-up.

I think Marchisio will find more playing time now then he would've had, if Xabi was brought instead of Poulsen. Marchisio offers something different from Zanett/Poulsen/Sissoko, there's more depth and dynamism to his game, and hence he will play when something else is needed from midfield.

That's kind of a paradox, no? Every juve fan is crying for the board and coach to finally use our youngsters, but how is that possible when signing a lot of 'champions'(which is what every juve fan is also crying for)?

About the 4-3-3 thing. It seems a more plausible solution now, as it expresses the squads best qualities. Our best qualities lie in the defensive midfield and upfront. This formation includes both. Trez and DP upfront are almost a given, but I doubt even this board would spend 20m+ on Amauri to be on the bench. Besides Ranieri has been giving hints that a trident is possible. Also explaining the need for more midfield protection.

About Del Piero's role in the 4-3-3. Ranieri deployed a trident a few times last season (less than a handful of times :-pp), with good results. Del Piero played more like a trequartista behind Iaquinta and Trezeguet. I think the key is not to restrict Del Piero to the flank, and he wont have any problem with his role. Playing 3 upfront also gives more room to Giovinco and Iaquinta. I mean a trident of Iaquinta Amauri Giovinco looks stellar as well.

I get the feeling Juve have no money, to be honest. Maybe because of the stadium rebuilt, I don't know. Anyway, we've spent very little. Including all purchases and sales, we've only spent about 16m so far and Almiron and Tiago are on their way out as well. So our spendings would probably be around 6m +-(!). Which is worringly little. Either we dont have the money anymore or there's still a signing on the way, despite saying the mercato is closed.

Anyway, welcome back Ben. Good to have you back :).

nothing serious mate.
the thing is mr. Palazzi, the magistrate who took mr. Borrelli's place as "serie a inquirer", seems to be one of those magistrates who care more about their tv and newspapers appearances than taking care of their duties.
As a matter of fact those charges are not supported by any kind of evidence.

here are the facts.
atalanta - livorno (almost end of the season) an atalanta victory would trash livorno in serie b. Atalanta won, thanks to padoin's goal, and livorno got relegated.

filippini (former Livorno player) was trying to console his ex teammates, once the match was over. apparently padoin insulted one of em and then filippini shout down padoin, telling him to shut up.
pretty normal isn't it.... well not for mr. Palazzi, who thought filippini was mad with padoin because he scored the goal the ruined his evil match-fixing plans :LOL:

and then why also grandoni was charged, u might ask..... because he was talking with filippini and switching his shirt with him after the match.... what a crime!:LOL:

and afterall, we're talking about a match wich ended 3-2 with a goal scored just before the final whistle.... it takes to be completely idiots to think it was fixed :CONF:

and what about the livorno - atalanta match? well, since mr. palazzi wasn't able to support his charges with any evidence at all, he decided to extend the inquiry to the first match too..... coz it ended with a boring 1-1 :LOL:

what a joke. i really can't see why abete still didn't fire him and replace him with a more serious magistrate.
Cheers for that, mate. :))

article-1034984-01F2194200000578-887_468x891.jpg

il bastardo grasso :CONFUSE:

Hey, leave Fabio out of this! ;)

That picture is f'n hilarious by the way! Amazing!! :mrgreen: :lmao:

I'm in better shape than him it looks. LOL!!

Come on guys, he's just big boned - that's genetic. It's mostly stomach muscle anyway. I'm pretty sure he just needs a couple of hours in the gym, or maybe exercise in a motel with his "girl"friends and he will be back in shape.

Also anyone know when the fixtures are out ?

The much-maligned Secco is not the most popular figure among Juve supporters following a long line of blunders in the transfer market since replacing Luciano Moggi two years ago.

The chief has become notorious for his expensive purchases of the likes of Jean-Alain Boumsong, Sergio Almiron and Tiago Mendes, who joined the club for a total fee of around €27m. He has also been criticized for attempting to offload Giorgio Chiellini last summer to Manchester City.

However, Secco will not be able to immerse himself in any more catastrophic transfers for a while after receiving a one month ban from the Disciplinary Commission of the Federcalcio.

The punishment was handed out for an offence Secco committed, along with former Juve Vice President Roberto Bettega, in negotiations with Genoa over young defender Domenico Criscito.

Genoa President Enrico Preziosi has received a two month suspension, while Giambattista Pastorello and Alessandro Zarbano, vice-chairman and managing director respectively of the Rossoblu have been banned for 15 days. Juve have also received a €10k fine, €15k for Genoa.

It is unlikely that the news of Secco’s suspension will disappoint too many Juve fans, although it may have come about too late to make any difference this summer, as the Bianconeri have already announced that they will be buying no more outfield players before the transfer window closes.

PS: Shame it's not indefinite :LOL::applaud:

ok ladies,
lesson number one
Grosso (or grande) means "big". it can be also used to say that somebody is fat, but it's not the most appropriate word.

grasso ("pacchiune" in sicilian :LOL:) instead specifically means "fat".

so Foxtrot is right.;))

after the world cup, during the celebrations at the romans fori imperiali (the ancient core of rome.... and by ancient i mean 2400 years old), there where some guys showing a banner dedicated to fabio grosso, saying "sei più che grosso, sei enorme"... wich could be translated.... "you're more than grosso ("big"), you're huge"
LOL!

Dom, talking about the 4-3-3, i don't know. that would be a perfect formation to display ...
-----------trez
giovinco----------camo

or....
----------amauri
iaquinta-----------camo

but we all know juve's first picks are trez, alessandro, amauri and camo.
amauri could definitely play in giovinco\iaquinta's spot. as i said he has the physical strenght, the pace, the technique and (most important) the attitude required to play in that role (wich means that he would move backwards during no ball possession phases, to help the midfield).
but nontheless lining up amauri as a winger would definitely be a waste of his talent.
amauri is a world class player, as a foward...... but as a winger, well people like camo or di natale (and maybe giovinco himself) are definitely better than him.
of course now u'll say "but putting him on the bench would be a bigger waste"..... and that's true :THINK:

then there's the fullbacks issue.
the 4-3-3 system force the fullbacks to a breathtaking work. they have to take care about the flank just by themselves. they don't have any teammate ahead who can push the opposite fullback deep in his own territory... or who can "carry" the opposite side midfielder on the centre (making the overlap easier for the fullback).
it's a tough work, wich requires a tough fullback, with huge stamina, very good dribbling ability, and a very good ball protection ability.
i'm not sure juve's fullback are able to handle this.

on the right side, camo might help the rightback..... but on the left, amauri, iaquinta and govinco, well they're pretty different from camo, and (imo) wouldn't be able to help the leftback at all.

and finally there's the most important issue: del piero. he always said he doesn't wanna play as a winger.

that's why i think ranieri won't use this system as the standard system. he will definitely display the 4-3-3 some times, for some matches (as he did last season), but i can't see him choosing this as the standard formation.

however, talking about marchisio, u're probably right. with this system, he might be able to get much more playtime.

Juveboy said:
However, Secco will not be able to immerse himself in any more catastrophic transfers for a while after receiving a one month ban from the Disciplinary Commission of the Federcalcio.
ouch! i didn't know about this ban. however i can't say if that's a bad or a good news for u Martin :-pp:))..... at least he won't be able to do anything bad for a couple of weeks :LOL:

Aboutreika said:
Cheers for that, mate.
u're wellcome Abou ;)):))

Edmundo said:
Also anyone know when the fixtures are out ?
probably the first week of august :))

Dom said:
Anyway, welcome back Ben. Good to have you back .
:beer:

p.s. Hey Sina, long time no talk mate. suddenly i really had no time to log in on messenger lately. :((

p.p.s. Foxtrot mate, are u studying italian? coz that "sono scozzese" sounds quite familiar :DD:))

Last edited:

I think Ranieri wants guys like Poulsen, Zanetti and Sissoko for his 4-3-3exactly because he wants them cover for the very offensive forwards.

Camoranesi I always considered to be wasted upfront, he never showed his best in that role. He thrives when given the responsibility to lead from midfield. With his wide range of ability and physical quality ( I mean his stamina etcetera), it is in midfield where he excells.

I consider Iaquinta and Giovinco to be the players most suited for the 4-3-3, but Ranieri will field Amauri and Del Piero instead.

Ranieri would probably mold his 4-3-3 into a 4-3-1-2:

----Del Piero
Trezeguet Amauri

But yes probably Ranieri will continue to prefer his 4-4-2.

Edit: Sina is alive?! :-pp

Ranieri would probably mold his 4-3-3 into a 4-3-1-2:

----Del Piero
Trezeguet Amauri

u mean with del piero acting as a trequartista, right behind the fowards? that would be really an amazing upfront setup :w00t:
but there's always the same question mark: will del piero accept to play as a trequartista for more than 4 consecutive matches?..... ehm, can't see it happening :THINK:

however i think juve has still something to do on the market. there's a huge gap between their attack and their defensive line.

on the right there are grygera, zebina, mellberg (even though i still think is a cb) let's face it, they are nothing special. grygera had just 3, 4 great performances last season as a right back.... for most of the season he was nothing more than average. zebina is way too unconsistant and mellberg can't play as a pure fullback (especially in a 3 midfielders system).

on the left there's just molinaro and de ceglie. molinaro had a pretty good season. he's an hardworker and a pretty solid fullback.....but is he a juventus worthy starter?... i don't know.... the only thing i know is that i would not trade him with balzaretti.
de ceglie, very promising youngster, might have a great future, but bringing him back at torino, after just 1 year of serie a experience, might be a risky decision.

on the centre then, they lost andrade(again) and bought knezevic... he had a great season last year in livorno, but it was his first season in italy. so juve should face serie a and champions league with legrottaglie, chiellini knezevic and mellberg on the centre.... grygera and zebina on the right...... molinaro and de ceglie on the left...... :SS

the gap between juve's defensive roster and their attacking setup is just embarassing (trez, del piero, amauri, iaquinta, giovinco).

dossena went to liverpool, zaccardo to wolfsburg, balzaretti came to palermo last season, pasqual is at firenze, tosto at empoli, raggi at palermo, behrami is going to west ham, mesto and modesto are in genova, grosso is in france, maggio at napoli.....

... and next season's juve will line up zabina and de ceglie?? :SS
grygera and molinaro??? :SS
it makes no sense

and shall we talk about legrottaglie being a starter in juve..... with people like zapata or barzagli playing for udinese and wolfsburg :SS

p.s. talking about Chiellini, Dom, what a euro!!!! :w00t:
if he will keep growing like he did this season, and if he will keep playing like he did with italy this summer... well i guess u'll throw it back in my face for a long time :EMB: :-pp

I see that Inter might be interested in Alonso, even though they are filled with creative midfield talent. Juve, on the other hand, still went for Poulsen.

Imagine a Cambiasso-Alonso partnership. I'd HATE to see Xabi under Maureen.

u mean with del piero acting as a trequartista, right behind the fowards? that would be really an amazing upfront setup :w00t:
but there's always the same question mark: will del piero accept to play as a trequartista for more than 4 consecutive matches?..... ehm, can't see it happening :THINK:

however i think juve has still something to do on the market. there's a huge gap between their attack and their defensive line.

on the right there are grygera, zebina, mellberg (even though i still think is a cb) let's face it, they are nothing special. grygera had just 3, 4 great performances last season as a right back.... for most of the season he was nothing more than average. zebina is way too unconsistant and mellberg can't play as a pure fullback (especially in a 3 midfielders system).

on the left there's just molinaro and de ceglie. molinaro had a pretty good season. he's an hardworker and a pretty solid fullback.....but is he a juventus worthy starter?... i don't know.... the only thing i know is that i would not trade him with balzaretti.
de ceglie, very promising youngster, might have a great future, but bringing him back at torino, after just 1 year of serie a experience, might be a risky decision.

on the centre then, they lost andrade(again) and bought knezevic... he had a great season last year in livorno, but it was his first season in italy. so juve should face serie a and champions league with legrottaglie, chiellini knezevic and mellberg on the centre.... grygera and zebina on the right...... molinaro and de ceglie on the left...... :SS

the gap between juve's defensive roster and their attacking setup is just embarassing (trez, del piero, amauri, iaquinta, giovinco).

dossena went to liverpool, zaccardo to wolfsburg, balzaretti came to palermo last season, pasqual is at firenze, tosto at empoli, raggi at palermo, behrami is going to west ham, mesto and modesto are in genova, grosso is in france, maggio at napoli.....

... and next season's juve will line up zabina and de ceglie?? :SS
grygera and molinaro??? :SS
it makes no sense

and shall we talk about legrottaglie being a starter in juve..... with people like zapata or barzagli playing for udinese and wolfsburg :SS

p.s. talking about Chiellini, Dom, what a euro!!!! :w00t:
if he will keep growing like he did this season, and if he will keep playing like he did with italy this summer... well i guess u'll throw it back in my face for a long time :EMB: :-pp

Well you're completely right in everything you say, except for the part about Barzagli :-pp and I value Zebina, though inconsistent, as a superiour rightback to most of the backs you named). I've said so before, I hope Mellberg can surprise or that Legro keeps surprising. Legrottaglie does compliment Chiellini well, I just worry about Legro when Chiellini isn't available.

The juve board reinforced last year's strengths ( great attack, great midfield protection for the defence ), but barely adressed our weaknesses ( lack of creativity/fantasy/direction/ideas from midfield, weaknesses in defence, depth). Only the depth issue has been somewhat resolved. Our bench has significantly improved.

Anyway, what are your thoughts about Palermo so far? Lots of signings. Confident in Colantuono (I think I got the spelling down this time :mrgreen:)? Does he have the right players for his system this time?

P.S. About Chiellini.. Yes, I will keep rubbing it in :D.

Last edited:

Abhi said:
I see that Inter might be interested in Alonso, even though they are filled with creative midfield talent. Juve, on the other hand, still went for Poulsen.
imo he would be a better signing than lampard.

Dom said:
....and I value Zebina, though inconsistent, as a superiour rightback to most of the backs you named).
zebina is a hell of a player when he's in the right mood..... the thing is though it doesn't happen really often. and he doesn't push as a fullback should in a 4-3-3 system (or in a 4-3-1-2 system)...... mesto does it.... zaccardo does it... and behrami too.

Dom said:
Anyway, what are your thoughts about Palermo so far? Lots of signings. Confident in Colantuono (I think I got the spelling down this time )? Does he have the right players for his system this time?

i honestly don't know if Colantuono (yes, u got it right ;)) will play his system anymore.

his system requires 2 pure side midfielders.... but he didn't ask for them..... his system doesn't require a "brain" at midfield (hence corini's departure, last season), but it was Colantuono himself the one who said "yes, let's get liverani".
we don't have the players for his 4-4-2, coz probably he won't be playing his 4-4-2.

i guess, after last season's bad experience, he understood it takes to be a bit more "flexible" to handle zamparini.
he's a young coach afterall, and i guess he's "growing" with us.

i think he has a very good potential. last season's problems were not his fault. the thing is some players lacked of motivation and determinations in some key matches. this, in adddition to the unbelievably high profile football played by the others serie a's mid class teams (like fiorentina, udinese, sampdoria, genoa, napoli, atalanta, etc..) was the main reason of our "not so good" season.

next season we should be playing this system....

-------------------------------------------de melo (budan)

---------------------jankovic(caserta)----simplicio(bresciano)--------miccoli(lanzafame)

-------------------------------migliaccio--------liverani-------nocerino

balzaretti--------------------carrozzieri-----------------------bovo-------------------raggi
--------------------------------------------------amelia

it's almost a revolution....... and i usually don't like theese kind of revolutionary rebuildings, but honestly this is what we needed. carrozzieri and raggi are not on the same level of barzagli and zaccardo...... but it won't be that hard for them to fill their shoes, according to zaccardo and barzagli's performances last year (barzagli's performances especially :(().
carrozzieri is not a classy cb, he's more a materazzi-like cb..... and that's exactly what we need now: a tough, hard cb, who can stay focused for the whole match. i always liked him (but i would have be happier if we would have got domizzi honestly).

raggi is a very promising right back. he did great at empoli in the last 2 seasons and really has a great potential.... let's hope he'll keep growing.

talking about our midfield setup, i really love it. i heard nocerino's interviews and i have to say he looks extremely motivated. i believe he and migliaccio will do a great job, protecting liverani and simplicio's backs.

the upfront setup is a big question mark to me. i don't know de melo enough to properly rate him (and the same goes for lanzafame). Budan is a very, very good foward, i always loved him..... but he's extremely injury prone (however i'm very happy we signed him).
miccoli, well miccoli is miccoli, no need to add anything else :DD.... but i'm not so sure he can play in that position (i think rosina would be more useful for that role... it would be great to see rosina joining the rosanero, if miccoli will go at benfica, but i don't think miccoli will leave palermo).

all in all that's a good team, but this doesn't mean anything. we'll have to see how theese guys will perform together, how much time will take for them to learn colantuono's schemes, to understand what colantuono wants them to do, to build the right chemistry............
and then there's the most important question mark: will zamparini finally show some patience?:pray:

Wow Ben, lots of changes in two years time at US PALERMO.
I don't think they have a single player left (in that formation) who was there in the 2005-2006 season.

I remember the team with Barzagli, Grosso, Zaccardo, Corini, Bonnanni, Santana, the guy from Nigeria upfront with the big Italian forward...what happened to all these players ??? Grosso left because Inter brought in big money...Corini is quite old (he plays with Torino now and isn't he playing CMF with another former Palermo player who was in the same team and who also went to the WC with Italy...don't remember his name).

Do you think US Palermo have a better team than in the 2005-2006 season ???

Back
Top Bottom