15 Cagliari 35
16 Torino 34
17 Empoli 33
18 Reggina 33
19 Parma 35 31
20 Livorno 30

Any 3 from 7 can go down...

Re: Serie A Thread

Must say, this season, Serie A has officially displaced La Liga, as my favorite league :COOL:

it seems hicks and gillette are thinking to take advantage of the famous "rule 17" of the new fifa agreement (wich allows to get some players for a very cheap price, bypassing the negotiations).

however i can't see it happening. most of the top clubs had some sort of a non written agreement; "never take advantage of this rule, to get our players".... the reason is pretty obvious..."do not do to others that which you would not have done to you"

now, if liverpool will break this non-written rule, it will become much harder for the reds to have peaceful and "healthy" negotiations with the others top clubs in the future.

just look at what happened to sevilla this season. in summer they "stole" de sanctis to udinese, taking advantage of this rule.... and later, in jannuary, every club refused any negotiation with them. this was probably the first (very) stupid move Del Nido did since he's in charge.

mancini will probably leave (rumours say he should join juve or liverpool).... but for more than 4 millions pounds.
and this will be a hell of a move for the sensi family, coz, once they'll get rid of mancini, they'll go for di natale using mancini's money!!! and they will probably have also a couple of millions left :applaud:

Abhi said:
Must say, this season, Serie A has officially displaced La Liga, as my favorite league
yep, the same for me. this season has been fucking awesome.

Jumberto said:
Poor Ronaldo
yep. he said he didn't realise they were men until.... well, better if we don't delve deeper into the matter..:-pp:LOL:

Sabac Red said:
Also the fight for safety...

14 Catania 35
15 Cagliari 35
16 Torino 34
17 Empoli 33
18 Reggina 33
19 Parma 35 31
20 Livorno 30

Any 3 from 7 can go down...

my prediction
Cagliari 39
Empoli 39
Reggina 39
Catania 38
Torino 37
Parma 37
Livorno 36

toro, parma and livorno in serie b.

it seems hicks and gillette are thinking to take advantage of the famous "rule 17" of the new fifa agreement (wich allows to get some players for a very cheap price, bypassing the negotiations).

Those 2 cunts are not doing anything! :MAD:

Inter have Siena and @ Parma

Roma have Atalanta and @ Catania

btw, I thought Mancini's lineup selection for today was awful.

Cruz and Crespo together?
Rivas? Maniche?

Last edited:

Maxwell should have been on from the start, with Chivu in the center instead of Rivas. It was pretty clear Inter are not going to create anything from the center of the pitch, so their best chance was to go up the wings where they would have a distinct advantage with Maicon and Maxwell over Favalli and Bonera.

And Cruz and Crespo are very similar in that the can take their chances, but rely on others to create them in most cases. This is part of the reason Cruz and Ibra worked so well together. Instead of Crespo it should have been Balotelli or Suazo to add some pace to the attack.

Mancini eventually made these changes, but it was too late by then.

What a day it has been today. Roma -3, Milan now 4th, Reggina and Parma winning and Flamini signing!

If I was to choose right now, I'd want Empoli, Livorno and Catania down. I like Cagliari, Reggina and Parma, so hope for them to stay up.

Anyway, what a result by Palermo this weekend! Down by a goal then winning in the last 10 minutes. They seem to be gaining momentum. Parma, Cagliari and Siena won vital games for their survival and Roma were just incredible against Samp. To be honest I thought Roma would lose or draw.

About the derby... I was so impressed by our mentality in the first half. Shows what we are capable of and brings back memories of the 2004 Scudetto Milan. We were full of determination and every single player played well. We had so many chances and manage to stop Inter for most of the match. Pippo was running like a madman before he got subbed off, and could have scored a hat trick!!!! The bar was crazy when we scored the first goal, then we all cheered when Cagliari scored their first goal. Inter seemed nervous right from the beginning, I think they were being hit by the pressure of the Milan-filled San Siro. The last 20 minutes they were pressing hard but we defended well and kept them out.

Speaking of Milan, our transfer targets seem quite good for next year. It seems Flamini is a done deal, so is Abbiati's return and hopefully Borriello. Marzoratti is also being rumored to return so thats:

Abbiati, Borriello, Marzoratti and Flamini in our team next year. 3 Italians too.

All we need is a new center back and I think we are ready for the new season. Maybe a new goalie too, but Kalac has been decent of late and Abbiati might be given a chance.

Last edited:

Alves is a possibility also Boswinga seems very good Both could also be our targets for the summer :D

a great finale of a great season. 10 matches were played sunday... 5 of them were very beautiful, 4 of them were amazing, and just one of them was pretty boring (siena-juve)... as klinsmann said, serie a is back again the university of football :))

a few expected results... i was absolutely sure milan would have won the derby. inter is almost out of fuel, and we saw it in thye last 3 weeks.... they went in pain against fiorentina 3 weeks ago, and they probably won just coz fiorentina players were too tired (just 2 days before they played in eindhoven)....
then, 2 weeks ago, they were almost outplayed by torino (if only torino had a proper foward, what a team it would be!!), and were very lucky to grab a win against the granata....
and finally they showed their bad form last week, against cagliari, and, once again, they were very lucky to win that match, as cagliari had some serious chances......

but u can't be always lucky... especially when u have to face an hungry and angry milan, which is finally playing some "milan football" (it was time!).

i completely agree with u Vassilios. mancini messed up everything. maniche on man coverage over pirlo, the cruz-crespo partnership, keeping balotelli out of the starting 11, rivas, chivu's position...... mancio really did everything he could to loose this match.... but i have the feeling that even a properly lined up inter would have lost against this milan.... the form-gap between theese 2 teams is so evident.
i do think mancio has really to change his summer athletic training schedule, because this is really awful. i know inter faced a lot of injury problems this season, and all those injuries weren't due to the summer athletic training camp.... but even those players who didn't face injuries seem to be in a bad shape.
top teams (champion's league teams) have to set up a training schedule aimed to bring the players to their best conditions in the period that goes from febbruary to april.... while inter did exactly the opposite; they were outstanding until febbruary, but after febbruary, they started to slow down. they lost the champions league this way.... and if only roma wouldn't have lost the siena match or the livorno match.... they would have lost the scudetto too.

another expected result was the cagliari - fiorentina game. what a tragic week for the viola. they lost the uefa cup, wasted a lot of energies, trying to break the rangers wall, and then, just 3 days after a 120 mins football match, they had to face a fantastic cagliari, "revitalized" by what seems to be a very, very promising coach, mr. Ballardini. watching cagliari playing in the last 2 months was great; ballardini managed to exploit the great quality of cagliari players (conti, canini, cossu, foggia, acquafresca).
anyway the champions league spot battle is not over yet, as milan will have to face napoli next week.... and napoli will be a much more dangerous opponent than inter was.

some other results instead were really unexpected, like empoli-udinese, catania-reggina and lazio-palermo (:DANCE:)
empoli was sooo unlucky sunday. they totally outplayed udinese, playing some fantastic football and creating tons of scoring chances (giovinco and raggi hit the post twice and giovinco missed the penalty too). what a hell of a team empoli is! they have so much quality and, now that cagni is back in charge , their football is really good looking again.
Unlike Stefano, i would be very sad if empoli would go to serie b.... they're just too good to leave serie a... and besides, what will happen to all their quality players??? (raggi, pratali, abate, giacomazzi, vannucchi.... and i'm not mentioning giovinco and marchisio just because they will move to juve).... it would be a shame if they would move to other clubs...

the only poor team in serie a this season was livorno... all the other ones (torino, siena, cagliari, reggina, empoli) definitely deserve to stay in serie a.

talking about samp-roma, what a crazy match! looking at the result, u might think roma dominated, while samp played so much better than roma. the sampdoriani (as the empolesi) were extremely unlucky, as they deserved at least a draw.
the whole team played very well, but cassano deserve a special mention, as he was simply IMMENSE. he tore apart the whole roma defensive line any time he got the ball, he spread magic all over the pitch for the whole match (until he was subbed).... it was like watching a pro evolution soccer game; simply unbelievable.
of course he had some special motivations, facing his beloved roma.
but, as i said, the whole team played some great football, and credit goes to Mazzarri for this. this coach deserve a top team, no doubt about it, and he definitely deserves (together with Beretta) the golden bench (coach of the year) award.

a last mention about torino. nice to see them doing an important step foward in the relegation battle. sunday it was a special day for the torinisti.... the superga tragedy anniversary.......
for those (few) who don't know what i'm talking about).... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superga_air_disaster

Last edited:

Nice analysis, Ben. That disaster reminds me of the Munich Air Disaster in 1968, except more players were affected by it. A very sad tragedy. :((

I think the Torino one was much worse in terms of actual loss. 22 Torino players lost their lives, and this lead to Torino being a weaker side for many years. Their next title since the crash was in 1976, and the crash was in 1949. They also had about 8 players playing for Italy. Both were terrible tragedies.

i completely agree with u Vassilios. mancini messed up everything. maniche on man coverage over pirlo, the cruz-crespo partnership, keeping balotelli out of the starting 11, rivas, chivu's position...... mancio really did everything he could to loose this match.... but i have the feeling that even a properly lined up inter would have lost against this milan.... the form-gap between theese 2 teams is so evident.
i do think mancio has really to change his summer athletic training schedule, because this is really awful. i know inter faced a lot of injury problems this season, and all those injuries weren't due to the summer athletic training camp.... but even those players who didn't face injuries seem to be in a bad shape.
top teams (champion's league teams) have to set up a training schedule aimed to bring the players to their best conditions in the period that goes from febbruary to april.... while inter did exactly the opposite; they were outstanding until febbruary, but after febbruary, they started to slow down. they lost the champions league this way.... and if only roma wouldn't have lost the siena match or the livorno match.... they would have lost the scudetto too.

A properly lined up Inter may well have still lost, but it would have been a much different game. At the least it would have been a more balanced affair with Inter actually venturing forward every once in a while. As it was, Inter couldn't create anything as they really had no creativity and no pace in the lineup (aside from Maicon of course). Granted, pace and creativity are not their strong suits (and will have to be addressed this summer), I think the inclusion of Balotelli/Jimenez/Maxwell instead of Crespo/Maniche/Rivas would have given us a much more entertaining match. Milan played wonderfully, Inter just couldn't follow suit. But it's true, Milan are simply in better form right now, pretty much the opposite of earlier in the year.

As far as the team fitness goes, some of the lack of fitness of the healthy players is directly due to the injuries suffered. The biggest blow was losing both of their center backs. With Cordoba and Samuel healthy, Materazzi would have been allowed to take the recovery time he needed and poor Chivu wouldn't have had to play so much in so many different positions. Not to mention players like Cambiasso, Zanetti, Vieira having to focus more on defending because they couldn't trust the back line behind them. I agree that Mancini needs to take a look at what he's doing and see how he can fix the problem (assuming he's still around, that is).

A properly lined up Inter may well have still lost, but it would have been a much different game. At the least it would have been a more balanced affair with Inter actually venturing forward every once in a while. As it was, Inter couldn't create anything as they really had no creativity and no pace in the lineup (aside from Maicon of course). Granted, pace and creativity are not their strong suits (and will have to be addressed this summer), I think the inclusion of Balotelli/Jimenez/Maxwell instead of Crespo/Maniche/Rivas would have given us a much more entertaining match. Milan played wonderfully, Inter just couldn't follow suit. But it's true, Milan are simply in better form right now, pretty much the opposite of earlier in the year.

i absolutely agree with everything u said, mate :))
mancio said he wanted to "lock milan's pentium processor" (pirlo) by putting maniche over him.... but com'on, how could he believe maniche would have been able to mark pirlo. When pirlo isn't in a good shape there's no need to "lock him", as pirlo himself takes care of it.... but when pirlo is in a good shape it becomes absolutely useless to put a player on man coverage over him... it's the stupidest way to "waste" a player (the only player who has ever been able to nullify Pirlo in the last 5 years was Hleb, but he wasn't set on man coverage over Andrea). besides maniche is not exactly a defensive midfielder. and moreover, being forced to follow pirlo all over the pitch, maniche left huge holes behind him, and those spaces were really appreciated by seedorf and kaka.

i'm starting to believe mancio has some problems with handling big games... single matches. he did a hell of a job in the last 3 years at inter, talking about the league and he definitely deserves credit for it, as he was able to achieve what is probably the hardest task for a football coach; winning a scudetto with inter (and he did it twice!!)... but he usually failed when he had to focus on single big matches, coming up with some weird picks and line ups....

Vasilios said:
As far as the team fitness goes, some of the lack of fitness of the healthy players is directly due to the injuries suffered. The biggest blow was losing both of their center backs. With Cordoba and Samuel healthy, Materazzi would have been allowed to take the recovery time he needed and poor Chivu wouldn't have had to play so much in so many different positions. Not to mention players like Cambiasso, Zanetti, Vieira having to focus more on defending because they couldn't trust the back line behind them. I agree that Mancini needs to take a look at what he's doing and see how he can fix the problem (assuming he's still around, that is).

yeah that's true too. samuel's loss was terrible as he has been europe's best cb this season (by far). and there were many other injuries (stankovic, ibra, chivu, solari, figo, vieira, and materazzi, who risked to end his carreer with that terrific injury at the beginning of the season...) and all those injuries became a problem also for the non-injured players, as they were forced to play more consecutives matches, to play often in different roles, ecc....

but still i think there's something more, something wrong with mancini's athletic training in winter (during the holyday pause).
because roma too had to face many bad injuries... and they were all key players... totti has been out for more than 3 months. taddei has been out for 2 months. aquilani has been out for 2 months, not to mention tonetto, who was forced to play, no matter his back problems.
Nontheless roma still looks in a better shape than inter. while inter was stunning in the first half of the season and quite poor in the second half, roma was more constant. and u also have to consider that roma's roster is also not as deep as inter's one (wich means that injuries should be harder to handle for spalletti than for mancini)..... and u also have to consider that roma's football is much more "expensive" and "stamina-wasting" than inter's one. roma has always to keep the ball on the ground as there are no tall fowards uprfont.
but still, u watch roma playing today, and u can't notice a big difference between their current football and their october football :THINK:

i think mancio's training schedules are great in summer (the team starts slowly but it keeps progressing as a diesel, reaching the best form in the key period, wich is november). but his winter training schedule definitely proved to be uneffective.

wich is the exact opposite of ancelotti's training system. in the past 2 season milan was very poor until december... and then, after the second training session (during the xmas stop) the team started to get better and had a great "crescendo" during the season finale.

Bash it said:
Nice analysis, Ben. That disaster reminds me of the Munich Air Disaster in 1968, except more players were affected by it. A very sad tragedy.
yep mate. 2 terrific tragedies :((

Stef, congrats for milan's great final rush :TU: the champions league is pretty close now.... but watch out for Napoli next sunday :));))

Last edited:

Sorry, what does that mean, -3? Have they been deducted points or something?

From what I saw, they beat Sampdoria. :SS

FD

he meant to say that, with inter loosing against milan and roma beating samp, roma decreased their gap from inter to just 3 points ;)):))

Yep FD, I mean Roma are -3 from Inter instead of 6. Ben, I think Udinese and Napoli are very very hard teams, but both teams seem to have a similar weakness. They can be opened up.

Ben, I think you meant terrible instead of terrific. :lol: Terrific is something positive; meaning something like 'very good'.

Ben, I think you meant terrible instead of terrific. :lol: Terrific is something positive; meaning something like 'very good'.

:-pp
in italian "terrificante" (terrific) and "terribile" (terrible) have the same meaning :LOL:
thanks for the correction mate ;)):))

Milanista said:
Ben, I think Udinese and Napoli are very very hard teams, but both teams seem to have a similar weakness. They can be opened up.

you're right Ste. and the milan we saw sunday can definitely beat napoli.
but (and, being a milanista, u'll know it for sure) napoli - milan is a "classico". for the napoletani it will be a very important match, and, even if napoli has anything to fight for anymore, u can be sure the players will play at their best to win this match.
moreover, being the last seasonal match at San Paolo stadium, the crowd will be "terrific" :LOL:

edit:
almost forgot ste, congrats for flamini! fantastic buy :))

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom