Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2009/10 Season

Hey guys I'm trying to find a site where i can see the formations and players used in each Serie A game, eurosport does it but it's not reliable, Gazzetta shows the players but not the actual formations.

Thanks

Lo zio, i want to send you PM.
Can you delete a few PM's in your "in box" ?
Thanks in advance Ben...

Not surprised honestly. He just didn't have the backing from the club. If he was given funds, I'd bet Roma would have become a serious contender for Serie A and CL.

He did an amazing job at Roma. One of the most innovative coaches in recent times, and gave us the best football I've seen in the last few years.

He's world class, teams should be rushing to sign him now.

Not surprised honestly. He just didn't have the backing from the club.

infact. i mean i understand the financial troubles, but that's way too much. most of serie b teams spent more than roma this summer.... actually every club in the world spent more than roma this summer, as they spent 0 euros.

since doni is about to miss a couple of months (and since their backup gks are definitely not starting formation material) he asked a goalkeeper..... they signed lobont (on a free loan).... who has been injured for the last 5 months.
he asked another foward.... and they gave him... a youth team striker (zamblera).... on a free loan...... that's not a serious way to work, i'm sorry.
he lost faith in the board. so he decided to leave.
and, even though he had still a 2 years contract (4 millions euros) he decided to resign and not get a cent, to allow the club to spend those money (what a gentleman :WORSHIP: ).
if the sensi family can't afford to guide roma anymore, then it's time they put all their efforts in finding a serious buyer.

is the end of an era. as sconcerti (italian football journalist) said today "in 5 years, professional coaches all around the world will study spalletti's roma. he was not an inventor... he is not one of those few coaches who changed the game.... but he showed something new, something fresh and beautiful".

something came into my mind today..... just a few years ago all our top clubs had world class coaches: juve (capello), milan (ancelotti), roma (spalletti) and inter (mancini.... yeah i know, he's not really "world class", but still, much better than mourinho).....
when u look at the current situation, with ferrara, leonardo, ranieri and mourinho...... it really makes u wonder what happened...
and the funniest thing is that this is just a top team problem, as the rest of the league is full of great coaches: allegri (cagliari), ballardini (lazio), prandelli (fiorentina), gasperini (genoa) del neri (samp), donadoni (napoli), guidolin (parma), papadopulo (bologna), marino (udinese), giampaolo (siena).....
it's quite a weird situation.

ernestito said:
Oh man, I really was optimistic when Lucarelli reduced the difference to one goal
yeah, livorno was looking really good in the second half. :))
but quagliarella and hamsik were really unstoppable.

what a fantastic football display by sampdoria and parma this week. pazzini can't stop scoring goals :))

@ gerd: i cleaned my pm box mate ;)

To be fair Lo Zio I've been known to slate Mourinho but currently this Inter side looks like it will be a better side than Mancini's.

YoungGun_UK said:
To be fair Lo Zio I've been known to slate Mourinho but currently this Inter side looks like it will be a better side than Mancini's.

mmmh... not really mate. mancini had a weaker team than mourinho's one... and yet his inter used to play much more beautiful and logical football. i'm not really a fan of mancini, but i must admit he was able to give a strong imprint to his team (wich is something mourinho still didn't). and even though he had no playmaker (but to be fair that was his fault as he was the one who decided to sell pizarro) he managed to give a plot to inter.... mourinho still didn't.

inter is looking real good now.... but that's due to the squad. they have an amazing share of "on the pitch coaches" like, cambiasso, stankovic, zanetti, chivu... most of their players are great professionals with an above average tactical awareness (milito, maicon, cordoba, samuel).

having so many players like theese on your side is an amazing asset for a coach, coz, most of the times, u don't even have to give em any directives during the match, as they already know what they have to do.

theese kind of teams could almost go on the pitch without a coach.... chelsea is another team like inter on this concern.

but any time (and i mean ANY) jose tries some tweaks, some adjustments, he always takes stupid decicions (just take the bari game as example... an unbelieavable collection of crazy tactical mistakes).
and what he says is even most embarassing of what he does. his interviews are just crazy... u listen to him and think "how can a professional be so ignorant about football... how can he say something so blatantly wrong!?!"
every coach makes mistakes... even the great ones can fuck up a match from time to time....
but when u say " i want inter defensive line to stay higher than that" (considering wich type of defenders inter has) then u're just showing u have no clue of what u're talking about.

his approach to tactics is pretty similar to my apprach to technology.... if something doesn't seem to be working, than bang on it until it works.....
when inter can't score, mourinho just keeps putting attackers into the pitch, hoping "something will eventually happen"..... his "famous" 4-2-4 formation became the favourite joke of mourinho's detractors here in italy..
honestly that's the approach of an amateur... a silly amateur.

i love mourinho, i really do. i like his charachter and i find him a very clever and witty person.... but as a coach.... he's really no serie a material....
as a matter of fact, ANY of the coaches i mentioned above (giampaolo, del neri, ballardini, guidolin, allegri, etc...) is much much better than him... and i'm not even mentioning the likes of gasperini and prandelli. :))

Last edited:

And a bit of luck helps as well - see Paul Scholes disallowed goal v Porto in 2004.

On the other hand I think there is more to coaching than tactical knowlegde, Ben.

absolutely true. coaching a top team especially, it's less about "coaching" than it is about "managing".... and in everything that doesn't concern "the match", jose is indeed a great manager... but his lack of football knowledge however is something unbelievable for a professional.

congrats on the big win on sunday, dom.... already in love with diego? :))

i have to say i was kinda surprised by grosso's transfer.. u already had molinaro and de ceglie.... sure grosso is on another planet compared to molinaro and has much more experience than de ceglie..... but isn't 3 leftbacks a bit too much???

i have to say i was kinda surprised by grosso's transfer.. u already had molinaro and de ceglie.... sure grosso is on another planet compared to molinaro and has much more experience than de ceglie..... but isn't 3 leftbacks a bit too much???
I think it's because they don't have the right balance at leftback, atm, because Molinaro is solid defensively but doesn't offer a lot going forward whereas De Ceglie is the opposite.

Grosso looks like a solid option in that position for a couple of seasons until De Ceglie improves defensively or they find a allround good left back.

You have to say Spalletti has left with his integrity and reputation intact. The fact he resigned without wanting a payoff makes him unique in modern football and I can't help but admire him.

I had alot of sympathy for Rosella and I like the idea of Roma being run by a Roman family but there comes a point where the risk of getting outside investment is minor to the lasting damage the Sensi family in its current state is doing to the club.

As Serafino Ingardia writes on football-italia.net:
"She acts more or less like a captain who would rather sink than jump ship.
The difference though is that while there may be no golden future for Roma with Sensi at the helm, there could be one without her.
There are plenty of investors who would be delighted to step in and take over.
Foreign owners are a bit of an exotic thing in Italy, but if an American or Arabian millionaire came in, like George Soros reportedly did,
I don’t think it would be that bad for them considering their current situation.
After all, at this rate, they’ll soon be entertaining offers for Daniele De Rossi."

You have to say Spalletti has left with his integrity and reputation intact. The fact he resigned without wanting a payoff makes him unique in modern football and I can't help but admire him.

I had alot of sympathy for Rosella and I like the idea of Roma being run by a Roman family but there comes a point where the risk of getting outside investment is minor to the lasting damage the Sensi family in its current state is doing to the club.

As Serafino Ingardia writes on football-italia.net:
"She acts more or less like a captain who would rather sink than jump ship.
The difference though is that while there may be no golden future for Roma with Sensi at the helm, there could be one without her.
There are plenty of investors who would be delighted to step in and take over.
Foreign owners are a bit of an exotic thing in Italy, but if an American or Arabian millionaire came in, like George Soros reportedly did,
I don’t think it would be that bad for them considering their current situation.
After all, at this rate, they’ll soon be entertaining offers for Daniele De Rossi."

If they do that, Roma fans will make a revolution. They won't allow such thing, unless that is a life/death situation. Still, Roma nowadays IS De Rossi.

completely agree with your post, Martin. and mr. Ingardia's article is definitely spot on... except for the de rossi part.... as neoexodus said, a de rossi departure is extremely unlikely, no matter how critical the situation might become. :))

Aboutreika said:
I think it's because they don't have the right balance at leftback, atm, because Molinaro is solid defensively but doesn't offer a lot going forward whereas De Ceglie is the opposite.

Grosso looks like a solid option in that position for a couple of seasons until De Ceglie improves defensively or they find a allround good left back.
thing is fabio is less "all around" than he might seem. defensively, he's decent, but nothing special really. it's in the offensive department that he stands out as one of the very best leftbacks in the world.

besides there's another thing that must be said: there are 2 fabio grosso.
the one who plays for italy's national team. that grosso is the 2nd most consistant world class performer i've ever seen (after baresi).
that player is even more of an offensive threat than maicon.... and he's even more consistant than maicon (who is already extremely consistant). he's one of those very few players who can change a match just by themselves.
he's been, without any doubt, italy's best performer in the last 5 years. he played almost every match italy played in the last 5 years (when he was injured, dossena took his place, and the difference was just unbelievable), and everytime, even when we played bad (wich to be fair, happened pretty often lately) he came out with outstanding performances.
if i had to base my judgement just on national team matches, then i'd have no hesitations in defining grosso as the best leftback in the world.... by an enournous distance.....

but then there's another fabio grosso, the one who plays with his club on a weekly basis.... that player is nowhere near as decisive and consistant as his "alter ego".... still a very good player, but not on par with some others world class leftbacks.

Do you have any idea Ben why there are two Grosso's.
I did not understand Lyon when they bought the Cissokho guy (who played a very good match against Man Utd with Porto. At the time i was in France and i read in L'Equipe that Claude Puell, Lyon's coach, said he couldn't use Grosso.
Now it is a fact that i only see Grosso play for the Squadra Azurri and based on those performances i effectively think he must be one of the best left backs in the world.

Is it a case of not finding the right team ? How was Grosso when he played for Palermo ?

Can anyone help me out on this lad Takayuki Morimoto, I don't know much about him but he's been linked to Man Utd on a couple of occasions, Apparently Pato compared him to "The" Ronaldo :SHOCK: Thoughts Catania watchers?

he has played in a pre-season game with catania vs besiktas and was really active up front with a couple of dangerous shots. still, we have to wait and see how he develops in italy.

Morimoto is a great player, last season he put in some fantastic performances for Catania and can certainly finish. He's a very energetic young player, he has a bright future ahead of him.

very talented the small skinny dude. Yup, Pato after the game against Milan last year said some great things about him comparing him to Ronaldo(fat one) if I remember correctly, but what does he know :).

Bonera and Favalli not included in Milan's CL squad. Only 2 defensive covers who are Onyewu and Kaladze :( and they registered 4 gk's. Something is not right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom