PES2008 PS2 version is the lost game / video thread

Has anyone played extensively on Superstar difficulty on WE2008?

I'm playing a ML currently and cannot pinpoint if it is actually more difficult or easier than Top Player.

Has anyone played extensively on Superstar difficulty on WE2008?

I'm playing a ML currently and cannot pinpoint if it is actually more difficult or easier than Top Player.
I've always thought that 6-star in the Jap release of WE 2008 matches with the 5-star in European release of PES 2008.
The change being that the difficulty is scaled over 6 levels rather than 5 but it's just a feeling and I've not played WE 2008 to really confirm.
I'd be interested to read other opinions too.

After reading your post, I downloaded PES 2008 on my PS2 emulator and had a big surprise. In my opinion, PES 6/WE 10 is the best PES in history. But today, after playing 2008, I realized the evolution compared to 2006. The AI and physics are better on 2008, it's a difference that I didn't notice at the time because I was playing PES "on automatic".

I'm very excited to already announce my OF for WE2008 /WE11 (PS2) is almost done.

I could not convert my PES 2008 OF so I had to recreate everything from scratch and I took the opportunity to review each and every kit and fix some shortcuts I took back in the days. It involved lots of investigations to find details about 2nd GK kits of some national teams etc. I had to look for pics of U21 tournaments, watch poor quality videos, ... to find some images of less used GK kits.

Later I'll also reapply these improvements to the main PES 2008 OF too.

I've still about 10 national teams to edit and then I'll be able to release the "zero" edition. A "deluxe" edition will follow later, which will be the "zero" edition + other league C fully edited with missing clubs to have the full UCL 07-08 group stages + more teams.

Here's a peek of some edited kits :

1718634346203.png
Each NT will have their badge + technical sponsor.

1718734459840.png
For USA away, I created the special away used in Copa America 2007

1717853487053.png
Each classic team will feature a classic kit with their flag and the classic font for the nameset. Here, I created the kit used by Brazil in WC 98.

1717525840109.png
FA Premier League will also be fully edited.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Where do you get your badges from @Juventino32

Some of them from my OF back from 2007 which I compiled from different sources, but here, the missing badges, I'm creating them myself as png and then import them in the OF.

I've created the missing badges so that each and every national team, incl. the ones that were not present in my current PES 2008 OF. Ex. this one from Slovenia :

1718634388810.png

Btw, I had to look at low quality youtube vids of Euro 2008 qualifiers games to find that the Slovenia GK kit used the same socks template as the home kit. :-)

I've also created the more obscure technical sponsors used by some national teams. Like Brooks for Chile, Walon for Peru or Marathon for Ecuador.

1718889732486.png

Last edited:
Hi @bussinrounds i have attached the scores of a competition that my and me played over the last 3 years.

From matches 10 to 177, if you click on the number you will see highlights on youtube, the date you will see the goals from that day, or the time of goal and you will see the goal. All linked to youtube. :)

Unfortunately I have not had the time to upload from matches 178 because of time, hopefully I will in the future.

So to answer your question in the other thread, 1 v 1 is excellent! :)

Attachments

• LEWS ALL COMERS CUP 20-23.pdf
    428.5 KB · Views: 9
Score lines look good !! I see lots of ones and zeroes and not tons of these 3-4 games.

Ha ha sorry I posted back in here again as I didn't want to go too off topic in the other thread :D

Yeh the scoreline are normally quite tight, we also get a few 'boring' or maybe I should say 'tactical' games but that is a good thing. And bear in mind that we play 10 minute games and also my brother (he is team 'a') normally plays all out attack.

I think our skill level is quite unique though. If you look at the last page of that pdf, I won 97 matches and he won 89, so there was only a 4 game swing out of 186 matches even though he only plays the game when we play each other whereas I will play ML too when I get the chance.

@geeeeee , it also reminds me that PES 2008 introduced a very nice feature that I used to use a lot back in the days : the "community mode", which keeps track of all scores played in local multiplayer.

Yeah that is a good mode, the only thing, I think it will not be accurate now because of editing the game and reinstalling the option file ;)

Ha ha sorry I posted back in here again as I didn't want to go too off topic in the other thread :D

Yeh the scoreline are normally quite tight, we also get a few 'boring' or maybe I should say 'tactical' games but that is a good thing. And bear in mind that we play 10 minute games and also my brother (he is team 'a') normally plays all out attack.

I think our skill level is quite unique though. If you look at the last page of that pdf, I won 97 matches and he won 89, so there was only a 4 game swing out of 186 matches even though he only plays the game when we play each other whereas I will play ML too when I get the chance.
You're lucky to have someone to play with. Especially so evenly matched !! I miss the days of playing with friends when these games came out. 1 year we (6 people) rolled dice, drafted teams and did a 20 game season (4 games vs each person) also doing a champions league style tournament running concurrently ! Since we played exhibition games, we kept track of cards, injuries, etc... people did trades... It was a blast !

Would be cool to get some games going online with the OF, but I heard 2008 doesn't have the online capabilities (or ppl haven't put the work in on it?) like with PES 5 and 6, say. Still, I'd be down for some WE9/PES5....not so much 6 though. :)) Thing is, my PC is pretty old (like from 2011 with a GTS 450) and the patches I've tried for the PC versions haven't run as smoothly as when I play on the PS2. Haven't tried the PS2 emulator and playing them through that.

I do have the PS2 set up with the USB, Freemcboot card and all of that.

Last edited:
You're lucky to have someone to play with. Especially so evenly matched !! I miss the days of playing with friends when these games came out. 1 year we (6 people) rolled dice, drafted teams and did a 20 game season (4 games vs each person) also doing a champions league style tournament running concurrently ! Since we played exhibition games, we kept track of cards, injuries, etc... people did trades... It was a blast !

Would be cool to get some games going online with the OF, but I heard 2008 doesn't have the online capabilities (or ppl haven't put the work in on it?) like with PES 5 and 6, say. Still, I'd be down for some WE9/PES5....not so much 6 though. :)) Thing is, my PC is pretty old (like from 2011 with a GTS 450) and the patches I've tried for the PC versions haven't run as smoothly as when I play on the PS2. Haven't tried the PS2 emulator and playing them through that.

I do have the PS2 set up with the USB, Freemcboot card and all of that.
I still have my slim ps2 and pes 2008. What's freemcboot? Can i get my ps2 online still? I remember playing mgs subsistence or whatever it was called online on ps2 even after official servers died i think, but i don't remember how.

I still have my slim ps2 and pes 2008. What's freemcboot? Can i get my ps2 online still? I remember playing mgs subsistence or whatever it was called online on ps2 even after official servers died i think, but i don't remember how.

FreeMCBoot is a soft mod. Through a memory card it allows you to play patched/copied/import games from USB without a disc, and transfer saves like option files etc. It's superb - every PS2 owner should have one! Loads of general guides out there but give me a shout if you want some PES/football game-specific info!

As for online, I don't know. Online play is still sorcery to me. 👴

Me as well, but I noticed this thread.. https://evoweb.uk/threads/pes5-we9le-netplay-playstation2-and-pcsx2.96267/
and it seems like there's been a lot of progress in recent years, opposed to say.. like a decade ago. I remember some ppl like this guy Luka, geezer (who seems to be still active here) getting a server up for WE9LE back then or being involved with it somehow.

I tried a few games but the button delay and lag was pretty bad for me and I always figured it was because I was in the US, with all those guys being in Europe. The reason being, was that I had a game or 2 with my friend from over here and it seemed much smoother...but that was back then.

FreeMCBoot is a soft mod. Through a memory card it allows you to play patched/copied/import games from USB without a disc, and transfer saves like option files etc. It's superb - every PS2 owner should have one! Loads of general guides out there but give me a shout if you want some PES/football game-specific info!

@marqisspes6 made some preliminary search for PES 2008 online. See here.

I have freemcboot but mostly ISO i downloaded don't start 🥲.

Can anyone remind me exactly what the 5000 player / 0 wage bug is in PES 2008 (PS2) ML and if there is an easy workaround?

Just wanted to check before I give it another whirl.

Can anyone remind me exactly what the 5000 player / 0 wage bug is in PES 2008 (PS2) ML and if there is an easy workaround?

In European and USA release, the players from "other league c" have their salary bugged. Either extremely low or at 5000 ! Japanese and Korean players have all a 350 salary.

Also, other players, at contract renewal, would sign for 0.

These bugs are not present - to my own experience - in WE 2008 (Japanese release) but I've not played enough ML to guarantee the 0-salary issue is not there.

Also, in the European release, there is a bug where unlocked classic/hidden players will appear in ML even if the setting is turned off. This is fixed in the PSP European release.

Given WE 2008 can be set in English (text and/or commentary), it's a safe choice if you want to play some ML

Last edited:

This is my favourite subject :D

I can only speak for the European version as that is the one that I play.

In ML some players appear with 5000 ML wages regardless of how rubbish they are. When I first started editing 2008 I thought a great idea would be creating Messi, Ronaldo etc over those ‘5000‘ players. But for some reason their wages would go really low. After experimenting I worked out that giving the ‘5000’ players about 5 or 6 skills would make their wage lower. That was why Messi and Ronaldo’s went low because they had all the special skills.

On one of my option files that was what I did, in order to use the ‘5000’ players I gave them 5 or 6 skills to keep their value low. But then it didn't make sense to have an average defender have skills like Middle Shooting, 1-Touch Pass etc as it would make them better in the game than they actually were.

(I hope all this makes sense because I am getting lost in what I am trying to say now) :LOL:

Eventually I decided to make a note of all the ‘5000’ player ID’s and decided not to use them in my ML, but to keep them as their default player. At default they stay at a normal value. Having said that, having played a few seasons in ML you do still get the odd one show up. But I just have to look past it now.

Regarding the Other Leagues C that @Juventino32 mentioned, I don’t use them in my option files anymore.

Regarding Japanese and South Korean players, in order to give them realistic values, I give them all ‘No Nationality’ for their Nationality, for some reason it fixes that bug. :)

Also, regarding the 0 wage bug, I think it fixes itself after 1 season although I could be wrong. It has not really affected me in ML. What does happen to begin with, when you get an offer for one of your players for the first time, they offer you 0 money. But after refusing, the next offer you get (whether it be that window or another one) is back to normal offers.

There are some bugs but I look over them because the gameplay is the best for me. But, as I said before, I only love the game with my adjustments otherwise it would be too fast for me and unrealistically arcadey. ;)

@Juventino32 I wonder if creating players over Other Leagues C using the actual in game editor would stop the bugs mentioned. I remember one PES, when you created a new player it would tell you his ML value. Maybe that was PES5 not 2008.

Free McBoot is excellent, but I also want to ask do you happen to have an xbox?

@Juventino32 I wonder if creating players over Other Leagues C using the actual in game editor would stop the bugs mentioned. I remember one PES, when you created a new player it would tell you his ML value. Maybe that was PES5 not 2008.

It does not solve the issue

You indeed see the value but only for the created players.

I even tried to create the player as a "created" player and then using PES Editor import it into an Other League C player. The created one had a correct value, the Other League C would get a bugged salary.

And if I create a new player based on a 5000 one of Other League C, the created one has a normal salary.

The bug is linked to internal mechanics of the game and I also stopped trying to mitigate it. That's why I edited Other League C with J- League teams having mostly Japanese and Korean players. 350 salary is better than something really really low or 5000 in my opinion.

And finally I moved to WE 2008. :P

Damn you @Flipper the Priest you beat me to it :LOL:

Yes @Pagi84 as you already have an Xbox Series S, emulation is the way to go. I actually bought an Xbox just over 6 months ago for that very reason. Thanks to Flipper :D

Here is a video showing the quality…

Note: It took me a bit of a while to get used to the Xbox controller. ;)

Last edited:
I don't know if it's Placebo or not but I feel that WE 2008 rythm is lower paced compared to PES 2008.
I tried one match with WE 2008 and then directly the same with PES 2008 and I'm pretty sure the rythm of WE 2008 is really slower.

To be further tested ...

Back
Top Bottom