PES vs. FIFA - Fanboy Fight Thread......

It's a litle bit early to make asumptions aboutwhich game will be the best 09 version, don't you think???

i've been avoiding this thread like the plague, but big mouth that i am, i just want to add my two cents after playing both games a couple of months...

I don't like either particularly...
in the beginning i quite liked PES2008, but i was wrong...i was very quickly bored by it, which is new for me (i have the impression that some of you are bored after a couple of weeks with games you loved when you bought them...Jb strikes me as a perfect example...). So yes, with the benefit of having it 5 months: PES2008 is the worst PES game up to date.

Nowadays i still play FIFA08. What i like about, are the real leagues and the manager mode which is pretty deep (but comes nowhere near Football Manager).

What do i miss in FIFA08??? Well, all the teams and players feel the same...I've been playing a manager mode with Le Havre. I became champion in ligue 2 and hoped that after promotion i would struggle...i dind't...i became champion again. I bought a couple of good players: Datolo and Krupoviesca from Boca Juniors and Toraman from Besiktas...do i feel any difference between them...not at all. Are they better than my original Le Havre players ??? No...

That's what i like about PES even about PES2008: every player feels different. If you buy new players, some of it become wonderful, others simply do not suit you...i never could play with Zidane or with the Porugese guy who played for Fiorentina and Milan and now plays for Benfica..this to give two examples.
If you play against Barcelona in PES, you know it will be tougher than playing against Almeria or De Graafschap.
In FIFA playing against Lyon feels the same as playing against Chateauroux or Boulogne sur Mer (second divisions teams).

And yes the PES2008 gameplay is way too arcadey...FIFA is tougher and gives more satisfaction if you score a goal...but it's far from a perfect game.

If FIFA would implement the different feel of players and teams like PES has it, then i wouldn't hesitate a second: i would prefer it to PES. Now i am not sure...i guess i still prefer FIFA because i play it more than PES, but i miss something.

Maybe i still look through Seabass tinted glasses...

PS: EA missed a big chance to score with all their licenses. They could have made a downloadable patch with all the january transfers, but they didn't...

Last edited:
Gerd man... the MANY HOURS i would spend searching for the best suitable player for specific positions.. I miss doing that. I would actually write them down and have a very long list of players and pick the best for my team tactics. I tried doing so in fifa 08 but like you said there isn't much of a difference between players. That is something i truly miss from PES.

I couldn't continue playing PES 2008 eventhough i've done massive editing and game is very responsive BUT the player feel too stiff.

Now with Euro 2008, no more button lag and game feels very responsive and smooth with the new animations. I'm loving it and hoping EA keep this for Fifa 09 and make sure they implement the differences between all players so i can go back to my spending many hours searching for the right player for my team :)

I agree with the two fella's above. that was what pro was about - it felt real. even players such as iniesta and xavi - similar but different. r carlos at left back compared to Silvestre..completely different. If fifa 09 incorporates the improvements from euro's..increases the player individualality...and of course - sorts the nets out!!!! i think we have the best football game ever. a title i cant take away from winning eleven 10 at the moment.

PS: EA missed a big chance to score with all their licenses. They could have made a downloadable patch with all the january transfers, but they didn't...

But Gerd they have. They do it every year. And this year they went further. Not only updating all transfers but also updating player stats and appearences they got wrong. EA have succeeded in this for sure. I'm amazed you never knew this.

PES died last September. Time to move on......

:)

Last edited:
I'm actually really, really (really) tempted to try and get PES2008 for as cheap as possible, just for something footbally to play for the next month. Euro 2008 has made me crave reaction times and it's very hard to go back to FIFA now, even though I loved it - it was like eating at Subway for a month and then someone giving you a free meal at John H Montgomery's Great British Food Restaurant. As great as the game is, how can you go back after playing something better? Happened every six months with PES. Oh there's a new WE, I'll try it - not much difference, I'll go back to the old one. Argh I can't play this now, I have to get the new one... Only this is worse, because you can't go and get the new one yet, because it's not out yet!

Even if I pay £10 to play it online for a month, that would be alright, as long as online play isn't as horribly broken as it was when I tried it.

:| That'll do me, I'm going into town tomorrow as well. If I see it for that price I can't say no.

It's cheaper than a pint of lager at that price, well worth the risk.

Last edited:
I'm actually really, really (really) tempted to try and get PES2008 for as cheap as possible, just for something footbally to play for the next month. Euro 2008 has made me crave reaction times and it's very hard to go back to FIFA now, even though I loved it - it was like eating at Subway for a month and then someone giving you a free meal at John H Montgomery's Great British Food Restaurant. As great as the game is, how can you go back after playing something better? Happened every six months with PES. Oh there's a new WE, I'll try it - not much difference, I'll go back to the old one. Argh I can't play this now, I have to get the new one... Only this is worse, because you can't go and get the new one yet, because it's not out yet!

Even if I pay £10 to play it online for a month, that would be alright, as long as online play isn't as horribly broken as it was when I tried it.

Yes but going back to PES would be like eating stale bread with gone of cheese and a rotten fried egg. I'll take subway anyday of the week.

Oh god this again!! FIFA 08 was more advanced then So called PES 2008 Next Gen, Euro 2008 has improved on this furthermore.. What we dont know is what are Konami up to? adding more shark and dog heads for edit mode? Or are they ACTUALLY waking up and smelling the coffee... instead of puffing them herbs down their local amusement arcade....?

I never saw the updates in the game...thanks for pointing it out to me JayD and jack bauer...it turned out i was wrong (once again).
Should have known that EA would make an update...i'll take a look this evening...

I never saw the updates in the game...thanks for pointing it out to me JayD and jack bauer...it turned out i was wrong (once again).
Should have known that EA would make an update...i'll take a look this evening...

The next gen squad updates should contain significant changes and they should enhance the game and its gameplay significantly, I look after Sheffield Wednesday for EA and I know from that experience that not only did they implement every correction and suggestion I gave them they even went as far as to create new faces for 2 Sheffield Wednesday players (Frank Simek and Ronnie Walwork, Simek's new face especially is very accurate), if they went into that much detail and care for a shitty championship team I can only imagine the amount of fixes and improvements they made to the players/squads of good teams. Of course it also depends on the quality of the people they have looking after each team. But one would assume that the bigger the club the more interest from fans wanting them fixed.......

Yes but going back to PES would be like eating stale bread with gone of cheese and a rotten fried egg. I'll take subway anyday of the week.
:lmao: Spot on though, I completely agree.

As we're using food outlet analogies, here's mine:

PES is like Wimpy - Shit, don't go near it.

Then came FIFA08 - Burger King, one of the best fast food outlets.

Now we have Euro08 - McDonald's, not a bad alternative, take it or leave it though.

I'd say Euro 2008 is like a half-eaten pasta dish with real Italian pasta and marinara sauce cooked by Nigella Lawson. People are looking at it and saying "I'm not touching that" because it's half-eaten but when you're served one of your own I think it will be an entirely different scenario.

If you wouldn't touch something of Nigella's but you'd touch something of Gordon's... I don't think I need to finish that sentence.

I'm guessing CW cooks for you, put it like that.

The next gen squad updates should contain significant changes and they should enhance the game and its gameplay significantly, I look after Sheffield Wednesday for EA and I know from that experience that not only did they implement every correction and suggestion I gave them they even went as far as to create new faces for 2 Sheffield Wednesday players (Frank Simek and Ronnie Walwork, Simek's new face especially is very accurate), if they went into that much detail and care for a shitty championship team I can only imagine the amount of fixes and improvements they made to the players/squads of good teams. Of course it also depends on the quality of the people they have looking after each team. But one would assume that the bigger the club the more interest from fans wanting them fixed.......

yah but they took a brazilian player for dc united who was black before the update(as he is in real life) and made him white after the update... so there work is not perfect.

yah but they took a brazilian player for dc united who was black before the update(as he is in real life) and made him white after the update... so there work is not perfect.
Wow.

Makes you wonder how that's possible, did someone throw a bag of flour at him JUST before the researcher walked into the stadium and JUST as he walked out?

Which means

a. the person who signed up to correct DC United's data is a moron.

or

b. nobody bothered to sign up to take care of DC United's data.

Why not contact EA and sign up yourself? Minimal work, if you're an editor you get paid a little money (I take care of Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Grimsby Town and an.other League 2 team to be assigned).

What's the name of the player? I'll check him out in the database :)

Cheeky bastards, I was there for quite a while and I never got a penny. And to make matters worse they didn't implement any of my changes. Jesus...

I take care of Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Grimsby Town and an.other League 2 team to be assigned

Remember when there was aggro every day in that lousy thread...i had a few rows with you...(and i was wrong quite a few times)...but don't tell me that you are unbiased in a discussion (it does not matter: i agre that FIFA i the better one, but still).

Seen from the bright side: EA are intelligent enough to use imput from fans...Konami completely ignore their fans. Until this changes FIFA will win every struggle and PES is bound to disappear.

Which means

a. the person who signed up to correct DC United's data is a moron.

or

b. nobody bothered to sign up to take care of DC United's data.

Why not contact EA and sign up yourself? Minimal work, if you're an editor you get paid a little money (I take care of Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Grimsby Town and an.other League 2 team to be assigned).

What's the name of the player? I'll check him out in the database :)

Luciano Emillio

Remember when there was aggro every day in that lousy thread...i had a few rows with you...(and i was wrong quite a few times)...but don't tell me that you are unbiased in a discussion (it does not matter: i agre that FIFA i the better one, but still).

Eh, what you talking about now? What's that got to do with me helping EA edit the data on 4 teams?

Back
Top Bottom