PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Yea, PES 10 was garbage. PES 2018 is decent game, but like most of the PES games over the last decade I could never bring myself to play it anymore come December.

Pes 17,then 15 for a while,before that mainly FIFA 18,but right now mostly PES for me.

That's why I decided to give 18 a run again,not being biased by previous attempts,mostly bad ones.

I played League mode,20 Min manual passing and -1 game speed.
Before anyone comes in here claiming it's a horrible game and I'm wrong etc, I'm not gonna claim it's a good game.

But from my last game,I was surprised by a few things

How fluid it is
Looks really good
Pace spot on
How responsive the controlled player is
When passing to a team mate who's running,he doesn't break stride (that's been an issue on every game I've played lately)
When tackled or losing balance,players get back up fast again
Goalmouth scrambles,haven't seen that in a long time.
Goalkeeper motions

Like I said,not sure if it's a good game,but the good parts (in League mode) really good,and I'm deffo gonna keep that mode going

Played the Genoa derby (me Sampdoria) and had quite an amount of freekicks (2 offsides)

Nice to discover some fun in this game in the 11th hour
View attachment 4235

Nice.

I played a little CL last night, even though a cosmetic brand, still going to miss this element of authenticity in PES 19. First time playing 18 in a while. Certainly some impressive parts as alluded to above.

Need a football fix. Either going to start on 18 professional with manual passing or considering going back to 17 given your recent sentiments above.

just had an epic match been waiting for a game like that on PES for years the AI were fun to play against too

after knocking out Leverkusen easy I thought id breeze past PSV but lost 2-0 away in the 1st leg and at home until the 71st minute I just couldnt score so frustrating and survived loads of scares but Perin was amazing in goal anyway brought Pellegri on as sub and he scored straight away and then in the 89th minutes to take us to ET then grabbed the winner 112th minute and the AI went insane had to hold on last few minutes what an epic match Monaco next and Napoli who i beat in last years Italian Cup final vs Marseille in the other semi

qf_Untitled.png

Away games in Europe are not enjoyable on this game you are severely handicapped by the CPU thats the only downside its very frustrating controlling a broken team and trying not to lose 3 or 4 nil you have win the home tie no matter what in my experience I will be parking the bus away this time try grab a 0-0 and smash them at home

I truly believe that at this point it'll take a near perfect game to make people happy on the pes boards. Even then, there will be something from the old days they miss, the simplicity or something.

That's not to say criticism isn't valid, it is, but most also find it impossible to give any credit these days. Blinded by the things they hate. Then 2-3 years later there's some late praise for the title and things it did better than the latest one. It's tiring.

PES 2018 is a decent game, it has plenty of issues but it also does lots well.

PS I've seen people reminiscing about PES 2010 before. Jesus that was a terrible game bar the graphics. Awful clunky piece of shit .
Pes 2010,horrible game.
Past week I’ve played 12/13/15/17/18
Remember all the shitting on Pes 17 when it was released.
Everyone,or a lot of people were saying it was absolutely crap,the same as 16 etc.
Especially those who played it on day one,hated it and kept that opinion even though a couple of patches made it better and better.

I liked my League mode yesterday,this game has issues,but it plays very well,much better than I remembered (see I’m not better than the haters of 17) and I’m gonna keep playing it
Very responsive game

Pes 2010,horrible game.
Past week I’ve played 12/13/15/17/18
Remember all the shitting on Pes 17 when it was released.
Everyone,or a lot of people were saying it was absolutely crap,the same as 16 etc.
Especially those who played it on day one,hated it and kept that opinion even though a couple of patches made it better and better.

I liked my League mode yesterday,this game has issues,but it plays very well,much better than I remembered (see I’m not better than the haters of 17) and I’m gonna keep playing it
Very responsive game

Haha I mean, at least you've recognised you did the same thing! It's not a problem being wrong, but we all get kept in this constant loop. Anyway, for the last couple of years I've concentrated on the positives unless the issues are gamebreaking (to me). Going to keep doing so, life's too short and all that and I'm too busy to game like I used to. I want to enjoy it when I do.

Nice.

I played a little CL last night, even though a cosmetic brand, still going to miss this element of authenticity in PES 19. First time playing 18 in a while. Certainly some impressive parts as alluded to above.

Need a football fix. Either going to start on 18 professional with manual passing or considering going back to 17 given your recent sentiments above.
I think it’s a nice balance and play both mate,17 feels more arcadey to me,faster and more direct,still like it,and it can be played on TP/SS without the CPU backheels etc,obviously other scripting issues when playing it on a higher difficulty.

I was suprised how well my team/players felt when controlling them,so responsive,better shooting for sure on 18,overall a surprise to me
I’m on professional and manual 20 min,seems to be the right balance for me
Top player manual 20 min on 17
I think playing them both will keep your football fix intact mate.
Also a sucker for 15

Haha I mean, at least you've recognised you did the same thing! It's not a problem being wrong, but we all get kept in this constant loop. Anyway, for the last couple of years I've concentrated on the positives unless the issues are gamebreaking (to me). Going to keep doing so, life's too short and all that and I'm too busy to game like I used to. I want to enjoy it when I do.
Words of wisdom mate,life to short to be pissed off about shitty things.
Glad you’re enjoying your gaming,I’m happy that i found a lot of good stuff with this game,and I’ll be playing it for sure

just had an epic match been waiting for a game like that on PES for years the AI were fun to play against too

after knocking out Leverkusen easy I thought id breeze past PSV but lost 2-0 away in the 1st leg and at home until the 71st minute I just couldnt score so frustrating and survived loads of scares but Perin was amazing in goal anyway brought Pellegri on as sub and he scored straight away and then in the 89th minutes to take us to ET then grabbed the winner 112th minute and the AI went insane had to hold on last few minutes what an epic match Monaco next and Napoli who i beat in last years Italian Cup final vs Marseille in the other semi

qf_Untitled.png

Away games in Europe are not enjoyable on this game you are severely handicapped by the CPU thats the only downside its very frustrating controlling a broken team and trying not to lose 3 or 4 nil you have win the home tie no matter what in my experience I will be parking the bus away this time try grab a 0-0 and smash them at home
Both EL/CL and cup games plays differently on Pes,I feel that it has been that way for a long time.
Remember giving up my first 17 campaign after losing to Real Madrid 3-0 and 4-0 in two horrible games.
It’s like you play a different game when you play cup games

Anyway, for the last couple of years I've concentrated on the positives unless the issues are gamebreaking (to me). Going to keep doing so, life's too short and all that and I'm too busy to game like I used to.
I genuinely think that's what we all do (tried to enjoy the game) - I mean, why wouldn't you try to do that? Nobody expects perfection, and nobody pays for / plays a game because they can't wait to say it's shit on the internet.

You mention things that are "gamebreaking (to you)" - in all honesty I really can't wrap my head around anyone being able to ignore the constant backheeling and chipped through-balling (I know that's not a real word) - let alone the AI just running away from you like they're terrified (as @Matt10's video demonstrated) - and then say "but I like the pace of the game, so I think it's good".

That doesn't mean I have no respect for that opinion - far from it - and I can even see why some might find it a little intimidating to be positive at times. But I also don't look forward to hating the game, and I find it frustrating that some conclude that fair criticism constitutes moaning.

I said about PES 2017, in the Evo-Web review, "all it needs is more depth off the field - the gameplay is so good now, that we need more to do with it". PES's big selling point used to be that every match was different. Suddenly, 2018 dropped and seems to have drained that off, and replaced it with patterns of play that every team uses. From Brazil to Bournemouth. With no ML advances.

Again, how that isn't "gamebreaking" I don't know - but nor am I accusing the people who DO enjoy it (taking great videos) of being "fanboys" or something.

Reading this thread the key word seems to be 'frustration' . And ofc if a game give this effect probably something isn't right.. I play to enjoy not to be frustrated
Simple i can't understand who was the betatester of that , the scripting in ML just ruin all (a lot of video/screens here explain that really well ) , difficulty over professional are just insane (but maybe in full assisted is another things, I never tried) . Totally absence of penalties and fouls in any game mode. Transfers out of any logic, great teams destroyed since the first transfer market window (and Liverpool is a partnership).
Unresponsive defensive line setting (you can min/max its height with any team without any visible change in gameplay)
So the only game mode that i enjoyed has been trashed
I've played&modded it on PC but this year i had to leave it, moved on FIFA 18 and with some mod/changes i feel better than i was with PES. And finally i got some penalties (already 5-6 in the first half of the starting season) but also here fouls are really few and transfers are a little illogical but at least i have more freedom to fit the right tactics for the team (using a second controller).
So i really hope who they will fix this game mode in the 2019, atm i can't enjoy it.

Last edited:
So the only game mode that i enjoyed has been trashed

Got to say, thanks for your tactics and videos for pes2017, it was the only reason I managed to play that game for a few seasons. And it's the most I've played of any recent/modern pes game. Unfortunately ML is just too close to unplayable, and it seems like it's in the game because it's always been in the game, and hey if someone buys it for it, it's done it's job. Like you i'm wondering "who's playtesting it?".

Both footy games suffer from almost exactly the same diseases but to a different degree, if fifa CM needs a couple of aspirins, pes ML desperately needs intensive care treatment before it's too late.

Got to say, thanks for your tactics and videos for pes2017, it was the only reason I managed to play that game for a few seasons. And it's the most I've played of any recent/modern pes game. Unfortunately ML is just too close to unplayable, and it seems like it's in the game because it's always been in the game, and hey if someone buys it for it, it's done it's job. Like you i'm wondering "who's playtesting it?".

Both footy games suffer from almost exactly the same diseases but to a different degree, if fifa CM needs a couple of aspirins, pes ML desperately needs intensive care treatment before it's too late.
Thnks :) for sure 2017 gameplay is better than 2018 , no doubt.
The only thing that scary me is the quantity of lies from PES dev about their fixes.. Have they changed something of what I previously mentioned during 9 months? NO
But if you check Batti or PES 2018 tweet you will see a lot of people complaining on that, if after the release a sort of feelings from devs and customers appeared to be born, after a little it's over in the 'big nothing' .
What the purpose of asking feedback if they doesn't care of that?
Bah, again ... frustration

Last edited:
I genuinely think that's what we all do (tried to enjoy the game) - I mean, why wouldn't you try to do that? Nobody expects perfection, and nobody pays for / plays a game because they can't wait to say it's shit on the internet.

You mention things that are "gamebreaking (to you)" - in all honesty I really can't wrap my head around anyone being able to ignore the constant backheeling and chipped through-balling (I know that's not a real word) - let alone the AI just running away from you like they're terrified (as @Matt10's video demonstrated) - and then say "but I like the pace of the game, so I think it's good".

That doesn't mean I have no respect for that opinion - far from it - and I can even see why some might find it a little intimidating to be positive at times. But I also don't look forward to hating the game, and I find it frustrating that some conclude that fair criticism constitutes moaning.

I said about PES 2017, in the Evo-Web review, "all it needs is more depth off the field - the gameplay is so good now, that we need more to do with it". PES's big selling point used to be that every match was different. Suddenly, 2018 dropped and seems to have drained that off, and replaced it with patterns of play that every team uses. From Brazil to Bournemouth. With no ML advances.

Again, how that isn't "gamebreaking" I don't know - but nor am I accusing the people who DO enjoy it (taking great videos) of being "fanboys" or something.
Matts video was exactly how I felt playing this game from pretty much the start.
No denying it looks awful,and plays awful.
Thing is,I had the opposite experience playing it yesterday,which threw me off completely.
I have a video a few pages back playing ML on TP,and that video is awful,exactly how I remember my ML being,a ML I’m 20 games in on,since September,that’s how shitty I felt the game plays.

But my League mode,and I had that question up for debate on the 19 thread doesn’t have all that ML scripting in it,I also play league on 15,very different gameplay from ML on that game to.
Most people,and that’s why I started to play 18 again,says professional difficulty plays less “bullshitty” than higher difficulty.

Not claiming it to be the best since sliced bread,but League mode on professional and manual was a real surprise,bet that will change down the line,but I think it’s a good game played like that.

We both like 17,and I play it a lot,but controlling your players on it vs 18 is a huge difference.
To be able to have a good pace on 17,I usually play -1/2,and that looks alright,but it’s like controlling a sleepwalker at times on that speed.
Pes 18 got that and a lot of other things right vs 17.

Then again,my subjective opinion on it I was suprised with what I saw and felt on my settings/game mode.
Ps will probably be in herein a few days yelling how fucking horrible it is again,who knows!
Congrats on being back in the league again btw

Sorry dude, I agree with you, I think you've missed my point a little.

My post was aimed at those who slate everything as a default then change their mind a year or two later when another game comes along which is so much worse than the one they were slating.

It was also just that I feel like there's a general lack of balance in opinion from PES fans as a whole but that's not everyone, I wouldn't include you in that either.

The back heels just aren't gamebreaking for me, I play at a pace where I always take a touch, turn, play the way I'm facing etc unless it's a player who I think would do backheels in which case I'll attempt it. I have a weird thing where I only play as players would play, I get the game should limit what players do as well but I'll do it to a silly degree. Playing lots of cross field balls with Pogba as an example, fake crossing with Ashley young. I like to replicate.

I play on pro and rarely see a through ball issue, even if it's there, my focus is creating things as I imagine them which means just trying to win the ball back then build up again. I don't care for challenge.

Totally agree that there are issues and they should be called out. I do think though the the default for a lot of people has become to look for issues which I find baffling.

Finally I have ALWAYS been oblivious to patterns of play which I'm lucky with I guess. Also handicaps me too haha

Sorry dude, I agree with you, I think you've missed my point a little.

My post was aimed at those who slate everything as a default then change their mind a year or two later when another game comes along which is so much worse than the one they were slating.

It was also just that I feel like there's a general lack of balance in opinion from PES fans as a whole but that's not everyone, I wouldn't include you in that either.

The back heels just aren't gamebreaking for me, I play at a pace where I always take a touch, turn, play the way I'm facing etc unless it's a player who I think would do backheels in which case I'll attempt it. I have a weird thing where I only play as players would play, I get the game should limit what players do as well but I'll do it to a silly degree. Playing lots of cross field balls with Pogba as an example, fake crossing with Ashley young. I like to replicate.

I play on pro and rarely see a through ball issue, even if it's there, my focus is creating things as I imagine them which means just trying to win the ball back then build up again. I don't care for challenge.

Totally agree that there are issues and they should be called out. I do think though the the default for a lot of people has become to look for issues which I find baffling.

Finally I have ALWAYS been oblivious to patterns of play which I'm lucky with I guess. Also handicaps me too haha
I spent some time earlier today going through the Pes 2014& 2017 threads here,and it's not a very good read,most people or a lot are calling those game bad to very bad,then at the end of the threads,the games are alright,let alone now in here,those are very good.
Probably have some discussion on the Pes 2020 thread on how good 18 was...

6 games in on my league campaign with Hellas Verona,I picked a crappy team (bottom 3) and thought I'd have an easy campaign.
Boy have I been wrong,manual passing on 18 is a bit different than on 17,I think I have 60-65 % here,but I’m back up on 70-75 % after a few which Is where I need to be

1 win 1 draw and 4 losses.
Must say gameplay is so much better than on ML ( as I remembered)I see very few chipped passes,and it feels a lot less cheaty than ML.
I'm having tons of fun and it's a good complement to my FIFA and other Pes games.
Really challenging and fun
This is me,first game,not sharp on the manual yet,trying to hold on to 0-0 Vs Fiorentina away

Last edited:
6 games in on my league campaign with Hellas Verona,I picked a crappy team (bottom 3) and I'd have an easy campaign.
Boy have I been wrong,manual passing on 18 is a bit different than on 17,but back up on 70-75 % which I need.

1 win 1 draw and 4 losses.
Must say gameplay is so much better than on ML,I see very few chipped passes,and it feels a lot less cheaty than ML.
I'm having tons of fun and it's a good complement to my FIFA and other Pes games.
Really challenging and fun
This is me,first game,not sharp on the manual yet,trying to hold on to 0-0 Vs Fiorentina away

when you gave away the penalty what did you press before the fiorentina player dispossessed you? noticed the power bar loading up.I am just wondering if square to clear is registered like that on manual I was giving away a lot of goals like that at first my player taking too long animation wise to clear but since then i just tap square and they clear it instantly but I used lvl 1 passing

nice penalty save tho

I wonder also about ball clearence since the bar is like is loaded full by default, but the ball is not "cleared" so far from the penalty area, that you can assume it as safe defending .I was wondering if manual clear with L2+ square or circle (cross) is worthing the delayed clearence cause of the slow animation compared to safer results in defending.

I wonder also about ball clearence since the bar is like is loaded full by default, but the ball is not "cleared" so far from the penalty area, that you can assume it as safe defending .I was wondering if manual clear with L2+ square or circle (cross) is worthing the delayed clearence cause of the slow animation compared to safer results in defending.

I did have that issue on level 1 passing but now i just tap Square and 90% of the time they will clear it instantly and somewhere just before the halfway line

also training your players to have acrobatic clear helps them clear it far from weird standing angles as well as in the air with bicycle kicks ect

It´s a big factor to each setting everyone plays with.

20 mins, manual passing, professional, game speed 0 is mine and it obviously makes such a big difference which one combined with what setting you use and what result or impression you get out of it.

To me it starts with manual passing. I simply can´t use anything above level 0 anymore.
The reason simply is, that pass assistance makes the game look too stiff and unnatural on the pitch...not dynamic enough.
But on manual passing, hardly any pass comes directly and too accurate to the player which makes the gameflow look a lot more dynamic and lifelike, as pass-receivers need to make a few steps to get to the ball.
Not to mention the addition of a little more freedom to the ball.
Might be a tiny little thing to each and everyone, but to me this is an important factor.

If scripting happens here (ML), then sometimes - rarely and then against low teams.

But I have to say that in the latest days I played this game, I enjoyed it a lot.
It´s such a shame that we never get to know what exactly they changed in terms of gameplay, every update they make.
IF they change anything in the first place.

Call me crazy, but I have the feeling that I feel a lot more freedom on the ball and more unpredictable situations since the last two patches. This could be only me though, as I don´t play this game too frequently.
Whatever it is, I can enjoy it and overlook all the negative things.

Not hyped (yet) for 2019 but curious how it will feel like.

I've tried manual passing numerous times, I've enjoyed how it enhances the gameplay experience generally, but I gave up on it because it's frustrating and even infuriating that making simple 1-5m passes is much more difficult than other more "complex" ones, I always miss them and lose the ball, especially if i need to pass it to someone not stationary. I mean IRL you don't need to think about pass that simple at all, you just do it, but with manual you have to be very precise and focused. I don't know how you guys deal with it, it's too immersion breaking and frustrating for me.

I feel you.

In fact I needed like 4 or 5 attempts before I started to get used to it.
Because of frustration I gave up in the middle of the learning procedure.

But I forced myself and it was the best thing I could do, to get a lot more joy out of this game.

I've tried manual passing numerous times, I've enjoyed how it enhances the gameplay experience generally, but I gave up on it because it's frustrating and even infuriating that making simple 1-5m passes is much more difficult than other more "complex" ones, I always miss them and lose the ball, especially if i need to pass it to someone not stationary. I mean IRL you don't need to think about pass that simple at all, you just do it, but with manual you have to be very precise and focused. I don't know how you guys deal with it, it's too immersion breaking and frustrating for me.

I sound like a broken record but give it some time, go online (Divisions) and set it to similar settings and get paired with other manual passers, it's good fun! (and the manual scene keep growing all the time)

when you gave away the penalty what did you press before the fiorentina player dispossessed you? noticed the power bar loading up.I am just wondering if square to clear is registered like that on manual I was giving away a lot of goals like that at first my player taking too long animation wise to clear but since then i just tap square and they clear it instantly but I used lvl 1 passing

nice penalty save tho
I was going for a clearance,I think hoofing it away

It´s a big factor to each setting everyone plays with.

20 mins, manual passing, professional, game speed 0 is mine and it obviously makes such a big difference which one combined with what setting you use and what result or impression you get out of it.

To me it starts with manual passing. I simply can´t use anything above level 0 anymore.
The reason simply is, that pass assistance makes the game look too stiff and unnatural on the pitch...not dynamic enough.
But on manual passing, hardly any pass comes directly and too accurate to the player which makes the gameflow look a lot more dynamic and lifelike, as pass-receivers need to make a few steps to get to the ball.
Not to mention the addition of a little more freedom to the ball.
Might be a tiny little thing to each and everyone, but to me this is an important factor.

If scripting happens here (ML), then sometimes - rarely and then against low teams.

But I have to say that in the latest days I played this game, I enjoyed it a lot.
It´s such a shame that we never get to know what exactly they changed in terms of gameplay, every update they make.
IF they change anything in the first place.

Call me crazy, but I have the feeling that I feel a lot more freedom on the ball and more unpredictable situations since the last two patches. This could be only me though, as I don´t play this game too frequently.
Whatever it is, I can enjoy it and overlook all the negative things.

Not hyped (yet) for 2019 but curious how it will feel like.
I’m very impressed with how it plays now and let’s say December,feels like two different games.
Agreeing on the manual passing,game opens up and becomes more alive
I think Fifa get away with assisted settings better,looks better playing it there than here

I think it’s slow animation,I haven’t got the timing right yet,I’m on game speed 0,which is between -1 and -2 on 17.
And I’m used to the strikers in 17,they’re not as aggressive as the ones on 18,need to time t better

If there is ONE thing I would wish for PES to find (again) is the balance between user input and player stats. The gap between Manual and PA 1 is to far atm.

Oh man me too. It's so hard though now with the freedom that's expected. Such a fine line between stats/individuality and user input. Ideally you'd want a great passer to execute the pass you're seeing better and easier than others but the game would have to know what you're attempting.

As a start they can definitely address pressure/balance etc though.

I’m very impressed with how it plays now and let’s say December,feels like two different games.
Agreeing on the manual passing,game opens up and becomes more alive
I think Fifa get away with assisted settings better,looks better playing it there than here

Absolutely!
In FIFA 16 - which I had played last, I never had the need to go manual.

Also never in any PES release, but when PES 2015 came out it had that stiff undynamic thing on the pitch.
Only my opinion though.
Manual passing makes it look and feel a lot better.

Plus, when you master a good pass or a tight passing combination, it feels extra rewarding.

Absolutely!
In FIFA 16 - which I had played last, I never had the need to go manual.

Also never in any PES release, but when PES 2015 came out it had that stiff undynamic thing on the pitch.
Only my opinion though.
Manual passing makes it look and feel a lot better.

Plus, when you master a good pass or a tight passing combination, it feels extra rewarding.
Very true mate.
You're on exactly the same settings as me,one thing I've noticed,changing game speed to let's say +1 or 0 for 17,the manual passing becomes easier,motions,plus you perform them more instinctively,plus shooting is harder as well,they tend to block you more often than on a higher speed,and you have to time your movement from the Def to being able to shoot smarter.

To me at least,it's tougher.

Back
Top Bottom