PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

I'm actually finding superstar too easy. Legend seems to be it for me (when the CPU doesn't cheat that is) I'm getting better at defending. One thing about this difficulty is that you have to concentrate for 90 mins. One mistake and you'll most likely be punished.

When everything clicks, this game is brilliant! One of my favorite players now in the game is Lewandowski (Bayern fan bias) but his player ID is spot on IMO. He's such a dangerous striker. Another player with spot on ID is Sergio Ramos. Solid defender with superb long ball accuracy.

It's the little things on the field and the dumb shit off it that Konami need to work on. Dumb transfers in ML means I might have to stick to league mode.

One guy put it perfectly on twitter. "Every year you guys create a masterpiece and then you slip on a banana peel"

First things to understand over any platform please remove all this things (sorry bolt but you never played football IMO)
and please remove Totti from everywhere , and don't answer me ' no, is just a legend', cuz i don't wanna have a player of 41 years old on legend/my club

and really sorry but after one month that the game is out what's your plan? really are you joking with us?
This is my start screen today (original game updated from Konami)

My Fifa friends just laugh about neymar cloths , no reasons to not update that

I'm just feeling a bit bummed out about this game right now. So much to do to get it playing somewhat close to real match. PES 17 was such an eye-sore in it's gameplay flow, and PES 18 seems to be the exact same thing. I don't care about extra animations, on the ball animations, ball physics, whatever...the constant overly-done ebb and flow of the match is numbing. I feel so bored from playing. We got so hyped about Walking...walking...yet, everything is at such a high intensity of either attack, or defend. Back and forth, back and forth.

Sorry for the rant. Trying to not let go of beloved PES, but KONAMI have lost the plot I feel. They need to get with the times. I tweeted this earlier, but modern gaming culture is completely online focused. What all the other sports gaming titles did was introduce gameplay customization for the offline player. Yet, KONAMI keep PES with this overly stubborn and prideful mentality and says "go play a 20 min match, but it will play like the players only have 10 minutes to score. Enjoy."

I don't know if you tried NBA2K17, They have the best example of customization in any sport game ever. You can customize the competition,the venues,the teams and the rules plus of course extensive sliders...All these are made available for the offline user by the developers.

If Konami had started putting pieces into this jigsaw puzzle 4 or 5 years ago we would've made it by now. But unfortunately we go to square one every year if not worse. Catchup bug took 6 years to be removed and we're still not sure it is removed.

As for PES 2018 I think with a patch to increase fouls plus a couple of tweaks related to positioning and AI attacking patterns this years game could be in good shape to move into a better future if they're willing to build on things, But are they listening? and we are here to help!

I would love to hear the inside story at konami one day.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a cultural difference behind things that we find weird, like the lack of customisation.

I remember reading an interesting story, about a western studio porting a relatively recent Outrun version on some console or the other. They met with the original Japanese developers and threw the idea of offering more options to the player, like maybe driving the tracks in reverse. The original Sega devs couldn't understand the concept at first and almost had a heart attack when they did. Every single 3d object was crafted to perfection, but only to be viewed from a single angle (no polygons on the other side) so it meant that most assets would have to be done from scratch. They have a great video game tradition and pride themselves when it comes to game mechanics. To me it's no wonder that the better game when it comes to the base foot to ball mechanics (ball physics, dribbling, moving, passing etc) is made by a Japanese studio, and the worse (but offering more gameplay options) from a western one.

Last edited:
Dribbling is so sexy this year. Nothing better than turning a guy spamming the pressure button. If you stay calm you can really tear it up online. Really loving my session this evening 1am here I come

this is sooooooo true... it's like the slower and calmer you are the better you will do online. I have had to re train some fifa guys on my co op team not to button mash the R1 when playing this game basically..

I don't know if you tried NBA2K17, They have the best example of customization in any sport game ever. You can customize the competition,the venues,the teams and the rules plus of course extensive sliders...All these are made available for the offline user by the developers.

If Konami had started putting pieces into this jigsaw puzzle 4 or 5 years ago we would've made it by now. But unfortunately we go to square one every year if not worse. Catchup bug took 6 years to be removed and we're still not sure it is removed.

As for PES 2018 I think with a patch to increase fouls plus a couple of tweaks related to positioning and AI attacking patterns this years game could be in good shape to move into a better future if they're willing to build on things, But are they listening? and we are here to help!
yeah, this is what gets me. 2K has just one league and develops everything. Konami skips shit and still wants same price. They only get away with it because it's the most popular sport in the world.

yeah, this is what gets me. 2K has just one league and develops everything. Konami skips shit and still wants same price. They only get away with it because it's the most popular sport in the world.
1 league a smaller database of players and far higher sales than pes means less work to be done with more money so you can polish to your hearts content. You don't have to buy pes you know.

Basketball may have smaller rosters but they have some huge league conferences with drafts and playoffs,Don't forget the HUGE stats volume and they pay for the licenses as well

In PES it's just an identical competitions setup with one transfer system and the same logic, And they're not starting from scratch the logic was working for them in 2013 and before. Nowadays we can't even see the history of the ML league seasons or the trophies!

I remember in PES 5 or 4 the real uefa champions league format had two group stages phases, and They easily implemented that. Then we had transfer windows active and it was included smoothly without messing up things. The only problem was having to play the same team 3 times in a row as the cup draw always made you playe the league tie with the same team in the next fixture (nostalgia alert)

I don't think it's about resources or money, It's just the enthusiasm and desire that is not present I'm afraid, PES should never ever be a rushed product and it should be guided by football people not PR people.

1 league a smaller database of players and far higher sales than pes means less work to be done with more money so you can polish to your hearts content. You don't have to buy pes you know.

FFS I'm getting really tired of this kind of talk.

No one has to buy PES, that's not even close to the point. Many of us feel let down that the devs have taken the game down a scripted, bug-ridden path whilst simultaneously failed to address key issues year after year. I don't feel listened to as a customer and long-term PES fan, nor do I have any trust or faith that our voices are being taken seriously. Just look at the lack (almost non-existent) fouls/penalties in the game. It's a fundamental part of the sport and Konami got it right once, ONCE, in PES 5 more than a decade ago. You can't say that NBA has a smaller database and higher sales to explain this. If this was the first couple of PES titles it would stick, with an understanding that they are building up to a complete package. Since ISS Pro Deluxe the menus, music, commentary, lack of licenses have been atrocious. That started nearly 20 years ago. How do you square that circle!?

General player awareness is worse when using manual passing, many times it doesn't register that the ball is right next to them. It's very frustrating.

Davinson Sanchez is fantastic in the middle of Spurs' back three, he can go 1 v 1 with any striker (online).

During the build up to launch, I'm pretty sure I heard someone say the Wingback position was back in the game, I don't see it...

Limiting the saved formation slots to three is still a slap in the face. I have a 2TB HDD in my console, that should be the restriction. Even the PS2 games were restricted based on the size of your memory card. I'd love to hear Konami's reason for doing this, IMO they can't justify it.

Another thing from 2017 that wasn't fixed in 2018 is player positioning in Fluid Formations.

Kudos on the online though, it's on par with the beta, no lag so far. If only PA1 was also like the beta.

General player awareness is worse when using manual passing, many times it doesn't register that the ball is right next to them. It's very frustrating.

Davinson Sanchez is fantastic in the middle of Spurs' back three, he can go 1 v 1 with any striker (online).

During the build up to launch, I'm pretty sure I heard someone say the Wingback position was back in the game, I don't see it...

Limiting the saved formation slots to three is still a slap in the face. I have a 2TB HDD in my console, that should be the restriction. Even the PS2 games were restricted based on the size of your memory card. I'd love to hear Konami's reason for doing this, IMO they can't justify it.

Another thing from 2017 that wasn't fixed in 2018 is player positioning in Fluid Formations.

Kudos on the online though, it's on par with the beta, no lag so far. If only PA1 was also like the beta.
Wingback is activated via advanced instructions, unfortunately that's as close as we will get for that position

After the latest patch and playing on manual, i see more confusion with the ball, which doesn't bothers me to honest.
Any other changes?

Played the beta and was not happy about some things as the rocket shoot.
The final version has some improvements but overall its a step back or let say its the same story as every year.

- PingPong Passing: The passing accuracy is way to high. You see backheel passes in every game and all over the place. When you look closely to these passing combination you will see the players only tip the ball when passing it but the ball goes with high speed to a team mate. the pass speed does not fit the pass movement of the player.
....and yes even on manual you have pingpong passes with many backheel passes because the manual setting does not change the pass/ball physics.

- The CPU plays (on superstar) as many players online do. They uses the flaws of the game. In this case the pingpong passing and lob passes.

- Konami have decreased the speed for many shots. There are also some shots which go over the bar but still the shots have the same flaw as the passes. To accurate, the speed does not fit the shot movement of the player, not many variety of (bad) shoots and sometimes you have some rocket shots.

- Due to pingpong passing you have 2-3 fouls in 15min game. The problem here is obvious: Why should I stop the ball when receiving a pass when the accurate is the same as you play a direct pass? So when CPU plays ping pong passes you don't have the time or the chance to tackel the player. Less tackles less fouls.

- The dribbling is easier compared to beta.

Overall a disappointment. I don't expect any big changes next year because Konami is focused on casuals and younger gamers. To hide this trend they hired Batthi so he will tell you - the die hard pes fan - every year the same stories over and over again.

Last edited:
me not buying it isn't going to change anything, it will continue. I just think it's arrogant to develop less than EA and 2K but ask the same price every year. Seems greedy.

I played a few more games in the master league last night and have gone from not being able to score to it raining goals

I lost 4-2 away to Man U and then won two home games 6-1 and then 5-0. I am a bit worried at how quickly I seem to have been able to put together a team that can score this many. The game needs to tone down the arcade like scores and end to end game play.

After the latest patch and playing on manual, i see more confusion with the ball, which doesn't bothers me to honest.
Any other changes?

Which platform?

We have no details about patches I've been asking for a couple of days now but nothing official as usual. On PC I saw a small patch download a couple of days ago but we get no information do we?

They'd be better off telling us if they're fixing things or is it placebo.

PLEASE READ!

Guess what? We have a Feedback Thread now!

Please post all your feedback in there as that would help us immensely when passing on info to the PES team. It's much easier when all your feedback posts are in one place.

Any feedback posts (complaints, issues, bugs, etc) in here from now on will be moved to the feedback thread, or deleted.

Thanks!

Last edited:
On PC I saw a small patch download a couple of days ago but we get no information do we?

They'd be better off telling us if they're fixing things or is it placebo.
I've never liked patches coming out for games without patch notes - I think I've been spoiled by League of Legends, Counter Strike and the old Call of Duty games where when patches came out patch notes accompanying them would always be available instantly as well. A lot of people would never bother reading them but they are really useful.

This could well have just been a patch to resolve some PC issues?

@tomj I heard that it was just adding the Liverpool legends but I can't confirm if it has any gameplay changes, Even the day 1 patch has no patch notes!

I've never liked patches coming out for games without patch notes - I think I've been spoiled by League of Legends, Counter Strike and the old Call of Duty games where when patches came out patch notes accompanying them would always be available instantly as well. A lot of people would never bother reading them but they are really useful.

This could well have just been a patch to resolve some PC issues?

It would be good if Konami released patches with patch notes.I honestly believe professionally they do not keep track with the evolution.
A good example of this on PC this year is where the settings.exe did not recognise a systems V Ram.So they patched it.
Exactly like they had to patch it after the event in 2017.
If they had patch notes they could at least check off the snags BEFORE release,say to themselves "lets make sure we cover this", and save everyone's frustration.

I agree man. This year they appease the screaming youtubers, next year they will appease some other group and piss off others. And that's why they really need something like this. But the "whatever is currently popular" approach leads to "one size fits all", when their problem is how to expand their market. Maybe it will happen, but for the long run... I don't know. But "one size fits all" is certainly limiting.
One thing that has got me thinking,games so big nowadays,the revenue for certain games are mind blowing.
And correct me if I'm wrong,the most popular sport on the globe,and still we only have two games competing on the market.
Hockey one game (plus a manager one)
Basketball two games.
Should be a market for more?

Back
Top Bottom