PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Some player skills do make a gameplay difference more than stats, eg: last year giving all players the "malicia" skill resulted in more bad sliding tackles and fouls/cards for the AI. Something to try in this years game I suppose.

Oh come one Lami. I didn't say speed. I don't know what to make of your amazing findings or what it means in the greater scheme of things. The findings don't seem right at all especially because you can feel the speed difference between the players when you play and according to your findings it's been this way all along. It sure as hell hasn't felt like every player has the same speed.

I am referring to the breaking news comment by flokiman who I honestly have never seen here before.
It just means that it takes the same amount of time running with the ball from point a to b in a straight line for every player since PES 2014.

I just changed both Valencia's speed stats to 40 and did the same running the length of the pitch in exhibition mode and it's still 14s. How and why I don't know what the Devs did.

If you're on about agility and explosive power then that's another story.

Ok guys, update on the stats thing. I´m sorry for all the disbelievers and happy for all the others. Stats DO matter ok?
I just picked up PES team, put all the players with minimum pass stats, same as speed, finishing and kicking power. Then started a CL in SS dificulty. Now I understand the konami Logic and I must say, I actually like it. Stats have more impact on certain situations, such as pressure or harder situations if I make myself clear. I mean, let´s be honest, even the worse team can string passes all around if you let them.

My match was against Schalke and I totally felt the diference. My passing was acurate in my own half, but WAYYY slower and heavier. My players were way slower too, much worse reactions, and as soon as I got near the box, a little pressure from Schalke and I couldn´t make a simple pass on goal.

Then, to prove it once and for all, I edited all players, same stats, but this time 99 for everyone. I didn´t even finished the match because the diference was so obvious. Passes are way faster as and accurate, my players reacted way faster and Schalke couldn´t do anything. Shots were very powerfull and dangerous, I was streaming ping pong passes all over the place and started winning after 2 minutes of gameplay. Stoped right there. Try it yourselves. I don´t have the gear or the patience to record this to show you.
Stop the nonsence once and for all with lame tests that only prove that konami has a specific code behind all this. It makes things in a odd way, but they work in match.
So the difference is only anything speed related then? But that doesn't change anything.

Muclub is utter farce. My opponent just had maradona and Usain bolt in his first 11.

Ball over the top is a huge exploit online too.

This game is great in exhibition mode. But terrible everywhere else. Again.

To be honest, I'm noticing more of a difference this year than last year, especially first touch football, but then again I'm playing the Brasilian league haven't gone deep with other clubs yet apart from Liverpool, passing error is very obvious in Brazil league so far, shooting I honestly love cos long range screamers are very rare, and even when u do have a shot with Ibra or hulk, you don't always hit the sweet spot and they hit average but as u may have seen in lamis video when u do hit well, it looks great, but I'm still playing and starting to use other sides to see if it's consistent but so far I cant say anything really bad for passing and shooting.
Hey Jimi baby
Are you on -1 still?
I returned to that speed yesterday,I've been playing manual on TP,PA1 on SS,now I'm on a proper shit run,and having problems on manual/TP,I feel that my defenders aren't as responsive as on Pa1,plus feels that the cpu really press you harder if you play manual,smelling the blood in the water and really goes after you
Anyway,-1 the shooting,if you have any input on it,to me,it's much harder scoring long range shots,anything you can vouch for?
Or is it only in my head
Long rangers on -1
And a more aggressive cpu if your on manual

Muclub is utter farce. My opponent just had maradona and Usain bolt in his first 11.

Depends what words You use, I said it was fantasy.
That's the whole idea of it.

Sometimes guesstimate your opponent next pass and change your controlled player to chase the potential opponent receiver leaving their on the ball player guard by your cpu ai will help.. or offside trap, no ?

Hey Jimi baby
Are you on -1 still?
I returned to that speed yesterday,I've been playing manual on TP,PA1 on SS,now I'm on a proper shit run,and having problems on manual/TP,I feel that my defenders aren't as responsive as on Pa1,plus feels that the cpu really press you harder if you play manual,smelling the blood in the water and really goes after you
Anyway,-1 the shooting,if you have any input on it,to me,it's much harder scoring long range shots,anything you can vouch for?
Or is it only in my head
Long rangers on -1
yeah i agree its very tough, i play on professional and i have alot of fun on that difficulty whereas with the other difficulties im not having fun , as for the -1 speed, when i disconnect my ps4 internet, -1 is awesome, but when its connected it can play very slow and lethargic and normal speed is still abit too quick for me, if u can be bothered disconnect your ps4 internet and give -1 another try and see how u go, i know for fact its made a difference for me cos i had similar issue with pes17 as well.

So the difference is only anything speed related then? But that doesn't change anything.

No, I don´t think so. I just wrote about speed and pass because that´s what people are testing lately, and it´s the fastest/easiest to notice. Other stats are more subtile and needed more time to test, but I´m sure they influence the outcome of a match. Like majuh said a couple posts earlier, diferences are relative, and it´s how the match engine calculates what´s going to happen in certain situations. You can still pass the ball around with a 40 overall passing team, but as soon as you find yourself in a tight circumstance, your passing goes down the drain, and you´ll probably loose the ball.
Frankly, I prefer it this way. I woudn´t like to see a team, cPU or Human, making nonsense passes all over the place just because they have low passing skills.

yeah i agree its very tough, i play on professional and i have alot of fun on that difficulty whereas with the other difficulties im not having fun , as for the -1 speed, when i disconnect my ps4 internet, -1 is awesome, but when its connected it can play very slow and lethargic and normal speed is still abit too quick for me, if u can be bothered disconnect your ps4 internet and give -1 another try and see how u go, i know for fact its made a difference for me cos i had similar issue with pes17 as well.
I'm having fun on -1 as is actually,played my last two seasons on 17 offline,so I know it's a huge difference in gameplay
I'll try it on this one to
Thanx Jimi

Hey Jimi baby
Are you on -1 still?
Or is it only in my head
Long rangers on -1

in regards to the long range shots, i usually have a strong post player to hold up the ball and look for my box to box mids to make a run and i can at times create space for a long range shot, iv only managed to score one so far but there really tough to pull off, cant offer any advice for TP or SS, but with pro i can find space at times to open one up, when i did play tp and ss a few times in exhibition matches found it extremely tough cos they were very clinical at closing you down as you said, i guess once i get used to the agile players il bump up the difficulty and try again

in regards to the long range shots, i usually have a strong post player to hold up the ball and look for my box to box mids to make a run and i can at times create space for a long range shot, iv only managed to score one so far but there really tough to pull off, cant offer any advice for TP or SS, but with pro i can find space at times to open one up, when i did play tp and ss a few times in exhibition matches found it extremely tough cos they were very clinical at closing you down as you said, i guess once i get used to the agile players il bump up the difficulty and try again
It's a process,I bumped up mine from TP to SS,and it's a huge difference,I normally won't go near SS,I played 5 seasons on it on 17.
Think TP is for me.
Pretty much do the same,hold up play and look for gaps or a free player.
There's a huge difference between 0 and -1 when it comes to hitting long rangers,and I feel that -1 is more realistic in that way.
Good advices Jimi.
Are you doing a ML in Brazil ?

It's a process,I bumped up mine from TP to SS,and it's a huge difference,I normally won't go near SS,I played 5 seasons on it on 17.
Think TP is for me.
Pretty much do the same,hold up play and look for gaps or a free player.
There's a huge difference between 0 and -1 when it comes to hitting long rangers,and I feel that -1 is more realistic in that way.
Good advices Jimi.
Are you doing a ML in Brazil ?
yeah im in control of Sao Paolo, love controlling tiago mendes in the midfield, league is very challenging, but very rewarding at the same time, im totally hooked, how bout yourself.

Whoa...
My Internet cut out yesterday. Couldn't even play PES!
I hate that Steam has control over the product I genuinely bought through the internet connection I genuinely pay for. Are we too dumb to let them do this to us or what?. My fucking internet went off and so I can't play the game I bought? What a fucking joke.

Anyways... back to the matter at hand. I'm sorry I missed all of this. I'm getting up to speed just now and it feels useless to be commenting on all of this just now.
I just want to thank Lami for taking so much time to test all this. Bravo mate.
And I also want to thank everyone else who took time out of their days to make such tests. I believe in each of you.

Unfortunately, be that as it may, it feels very differently when actually playing the game.
I've been complaining about the lack of difference between players speed since PES 2014. Those who read my posts know it. It's been my worst nightmare in Konami's games since they moved to Fox Engine. However, this year I actually feel that having a fast player matters (OUTSIDE of Master League, of course, which is a trap).

Like I told you guys yesterday, I stole the ball with Dembele (Barcelona) from one of Dortmund's defenders in the midfield and ran all the way through, outpacing everyone, and scored. Impossible to do that in past versions.

I was happy.
Not because I could outran everyone, but because it felt they've finally made catch-up bug gone.
It's not as noticeable as in PRE-PES 2014 versions, unfortunately. But at least, it's something.

Hopefully, one day, we'll get to a point in which every player sees his attributes very well represented and each of them have an actual impact on the game, without making the game unbalanced towards attacking nor defending, at least not in a cheap kind of way.

But until then... I'm happy with PES 2018 (outside of ML).

Last edited:
Worked on this last night. Decided I'm going to just set up the team as if they have more numbers back, and the ball is in the midfield. That's how most tactics board are set up, with the majority of players behind their halfway line. I think PES starts with way too much space from the get go. So I reduced it to the "limits" of their player roles. Basically Edit the lineup/position to the point the player role changes, but still maintaining the base positioning.

Let me know your thoughts. And yes, the spam long ball still happens, not sure that can be fixed without a patch.

So do we have an answer on why the beta was so great and why we can't replicate it in the full version?

The beta speed apparently wasn't due to online and the inertia is gone as well, Where did it go?

It felt like football!

It just means that it takes the same amount of time running with the ball from point a to b in a straight line for every player since PES 2014.

I just changed both Valencia's speed stats to 40 and did the same running the length of the pitch in exhibition mode and it's still 14s. How and why I don't know what the Devs did.

If you're on about agility and explosive power then that's another story.
It's the whole shebang, body balance, dribble speed, agility, they all combine to give the player his attributes. If we were looking at a Usain bolt evolution 2018 (oh shit :p ) then we could be majorly concerned but you have to wrap all of these things up and from my time on the game I have not once thought that all the players have been the same speed. If anything I feel speed is overpowered this year, Mane, Salah, et all will run you ragged with their pace.

We are microanalysinf things to a level beyond our own comprehension which imo should have no bearing on your enjoyment of the game.

Also cast your mind back to PES gone by when you chipped a ball and ran with a speedy striker over and over and over again. I am happy that this doesn't happen anymore.

I normally find that the master league reduces your players response when you first start it, so it feels different to exhibition when start. Within a couple of seasons if you stick at it, your team will improve and it will feel more like exhibition. I think they may do this to prolong the experience in the ML and make it more of a journey, but with different difficulties being able to be selected, I think this should be removed.

The transfers thing though, sounds new and needs sorting out

Worked on this last night. Decided I'm going to just set up the team as if they have more numbers back, and the ball is in the midfield. That's how most tactics board are set up, with the majority of players behind their halfway line. I think PES starts with way too much space from the get go. So I reduced it to the "limits" of their player roles. Basically Edit the lineup/position to the point the player role changes, but still maintaining the base positioning.

Let me know your thoughts. And yes, the spam long ball still happens, not sure that can be fixed without a patch.

seems to slow down the constant up and down the pitch which is good and it just looks better in the midfield area. still looks funny on occasion though, sometimes you have 9 players in your own half with the other team retreating in their own as if it's volleyball and the halfway line is the net separating them. I understand how it's all a trade off though. Then there's 2 lines of defence but the game is always one perfect through ball/cross away from making all those bodies irrelevant. I would take this over the 'so much space everywhere' default version for sure though. Wish i had your patience :)

It works both ways gentlemen :)

The extraordinary claim would be Messi moving and turning faster than a goalkeeper?

It's been proven now without doubt that some people will go out of their way to discredit the game as we have argued.

Nothing to add here.
Saying I feel Messi represented very well ingame isn't an extraordinary claim.
Saying Messi is as fast as Cahill when playing an actual match (outside ML) is.

I normally find that the master league reduces your players response when you first start it, so it feels different to exhibition when start. Within a couple of seasons if you stick at it, your team will improve and it will feel more like exhibition. I think they may do this to prolong the experience in the ML and make it more of a journey, but with different difficulties being able to be selected, I think this should be removed.

The transfers thing though, sounds new and needs sorting out

That's what Adam told me, but I started a ML with Manchester City's real squad. my team spirit is 93 after 6 games and players feel unresponsive, dribbling is not nearly as good as in other modes, and everything feels more messy overall.

Nothing to add here.

That's what Adam told me, but I started a ML with Manchester City's real squad. my team spirit is 93 after 6 games and players feel unresponsive, dribbling is not nearly as good as in other modes, and everything feels more messy overall.

I wasn't including you Chuny.

Back in the day when you were forced to start with a very average squad and stats mattered was a much better way. No point handicapping the barcelona team just to give you a challenge it isn't realistic ..make stats matter and transfers realistic and it would be much better

I find this to be the case as well, BAL is playable if you have the time to change AI tactics but it's inconsistent.

I dont' understand the philosophy behind making Myclub this unfulfilling, There's no incentive to play it for more than 3 or 4 days then everyone's got the same team!

Nothing to add here.

It takes longer. When you first buy players in the ML they never seem to play at their best the first season, the second season you see their true skill and response. I think this happens to all of the team when you start the ML

It takes longer. When you first buy players in the ML they never seem to play at their best the first season, the second season you see their true skill and response. I think this happens to all of the team when you start the ML

I found it's scripted heavily for the first two seasons and the a.i will try and relegate you. . .things change in season 3 and by season 4 you're flying and getting results.

Back
Top Bottom