PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Oh man, took the words right out of my mouth.

I think when an option file comes along that revamps formations and gives teams the right advanced tactics, it'll be much better, for me. But even then, you have to be able to overlook the reeeeeeeeediculous number of first-time-passes-in-a-row throughout the game, lack of fouls (BUT a patch might help there at least), etc.

I've been hammering the ML, trying to see the positives, but I've found that a poor team spirit is reflected in the game by:

A) DECREASING YOUR RESPONSE TIMES: There's an example in a gameplay video I uploaded the other day where I've pressed the long pass button to hit a clearance in defence, and the power bar appears above his head, with the striker 10ft behind him - but he waits for about two seconds (I'm not sprinting, the ball is DIRECTLY in-front of him) - allowing the striker to run around his side and kick the ball into the net. No. 100% not having that.

B) INCREASING THE OPPONENT'S ABILITY (mainly to first-time pass the ball all over the place): Playing as Newcastle against Watford, I was drawing 0-0. They'd attack and my defenders packed the box. I'd attack, their defenders packed the box. Same thing I'm seeing most of the time (hence my wish for a tactics option file, which I think could potentially iron this out completely). However, I made two substitutions, and the team spirit went from 70 to 50. Suddenly, Watford were pinging 10+ first-time passes together at a time, and I barely hung on.

Our pass accuracy dropped slightly (and it was random players giving the ball away rather than the two supposed "weak links", which doesn't really sense), but absolutely BLATANT is the boost that the AI gets.

The game has lots of these little "shortcuts to realism" and they feel horrible, IMO. Reducing the AI's short-passing abilities to 40 and seeing the pass accuracy difference at the end of the game (i.e. literally no difference) is the biggest proof of that, and after seeing that, I really don't know that I can look past it. When you know the AI's abilities are "filled in" using a combination of difficulty level and your team spirit.

Just my (lifelong PES fan) opinion...

I do not have any issues with the CPU playing one touch passes or having super high accuracy. Are you dropping off and cutting lanes or are you pressuring hard? I imagine if you're pressuring they'll be pingin the ball around you quickly.

The team spirit thing i don't yet understand, can anyone tell me what influences it?

I do not have any issues with the CPU playing one touch passes or having super high accuracy. Are you dropping off and cutting lanes or are you pressuring hard? I imagine if you're pressuring they'll be pingin the ball around you quickly.
I tend to do a combination of both. Immediately try to win the ball back and when I don't, then back off.

The team spirit thing i don't yet understand, can anyone tell me what influences it?
Ironically, Team Spirit is probably my favourite part of the Master League. It means you can't just go and buy the best players and expect them to fit in. Personally I think that's a big (and fresh) level of realism, which stands out like a sore thumb amongst the retired players "respawning" etc.!

So, every player has a "comfortability level" with every tactical element you choose in the defence/attack settings. It can range from 0 to 3. Example - you set "counter-attack" in your attack settings. A player has a pair of stats, a "counter-attack" bar and a "possession game" bar. He could have 3 out of 3 for both, if he's used to chopping and changing. But more likely, he will favour one over the other.

If the players' knowledge doesn't match your system, your Team Spirit drops. However, to my eye, it seems to implement this drop by slashing your response times, reducing your pass accuracy and increasing your opponent's ability (largely their passing accuracy).

You can view those bars pressing L1/R1 (LB/RB) on the player attributes screens, when you're in the game plan menu.

I tend to do a combination of both. Immediately try to win the ball back and when I don't, then back off.

Ironically, Team Spirit is probably my favourite part of the Master League. It means you can't just go and buy the best players and expect them to fit in. Personally I think that's a big (and fresh) level of realism, which stands out like a sore thumb amongst the retired players "respawning" etc.!

So, every player has a "comfortability level" with every tactical element you choose in the defence/attack settings. It can range from 0 to 3. Example - you set "counter-attack" in your attack settings. A player has a pair of stats, a "counter-attack" bar and a "possession game" bar. He could have 3 out of 3 for both, if he's used to chopping and changing. But more likely, he will favour one over the other.

If the players' knowledge doesn't match your system, your Team Spirit drops. However, to my eye, it seems to implement this drop by slashing your response times, reducing your pass accuracy and increasing your opponent's ability (largely their passing accuracy).

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. I was baffled every time i changed fo a better player and saw it drop, makes sense.

What Chris said and also the more matches that you win your TS will increase especially if they're consecutive matches but a few bad results and it goes back down.

But even then, you have to be able to overlook the reeeeeeeeediculous number of first-time-passes-in-a-row throughout the game,

Even worse is the number of first time backheelers that are laser guided straight to a team-mate that the CPU plays. I had a game last night - Sheff Utd (me) v Burton (CPU) and I lost count after 5 or 6 in the first half alone the number of times Burton f**king Albion !!! did these instantaneous, first-time, pixel-perfect back-heelers - to use your word, it was reeeeeeeeediculous.

Whilst PES2017 seemed to be a step in the right-direction, this edition really leaves me wondering where Konami are going with this.

A) DECREASING YOUR RESPONSE TIMES:

B) INCREASING THE OPPONENT'S ABILITY

Reducing the AI's short-passing abilities to 40 and seeing the pass accuracy difference at the end of the game (i.e. literally no difference)

This has been PES for the past 10 years....most stats are virtually meaningless now. All that matters is the momentum script.

You can view those bars pressing L1/R1 (LB/RB) on the player attributes screens, when you're in the game plan menu.
A great deal of the team spirit is great,like you said,on 17 (ok to compare?) I had one player 84 ovr,€34 mill,never made an impression all season long,felt like he was cursed.
Bad thing,like you said,effects every player when having a bad TS,and powers up the CPU ability,just like 16-17
Switched between my Milan save on 17,better players obviously,but TS at 92,and my Palermo save,48 TS!
The Palermo team was so bad,you know,Mario Balotelli trying to put on a jersey bad.
To much influence imo with TS.
15 had player trust,same thing.
Guess 18 with TS,and owner trust will be a bit tough at times

Guess 18 with TS,and owner trust will be a bit tough at times
100% don't mind "tough" - in-fact, that's how I want it, and I love that player happiness can result in them wanting to leave your club now (last year you could keep players forever - well, they would only refuse a contract if you couldn't afford it).

It's just the way TS is implemented that turns me off. I love playing with poor teams and making them better - I do it in every football game - but to bring on a youth player for his debut, and suddenly your entire team starts playing like shit as a unit... Not to mention the youth player... I find it really hard to see that and then go "but otherwise it's really realistic".

There are so many of these shortcuts that I really don't think it earns that moniker - fun, yes (though I think I'm terrible because I'm suffering with a lot of 0-0s - but I'd prefer that to 5-0s)!

100% don't mind "tough" - in-fact, that's how I want it, and I love that player happiness can result in them wanting to leave your club now (last year you could keep players forever - well, they would only refuse a contract if you couldn't afford it).

It's just the way TS is implemented that turns me off. I love playing with poor teams and making them better - I do it in every football game - but to bring on a youth player for his debut, and suddenly your entire team starts playing like shit as a unit... Not to mention the youth player... I find it really hard to see that and then go "but otherwise it's really realistic".

There are so many of these shortcuts that I really don't think it earns that moniker - fun, yes (though I think I'm terrible because I'm suffering with a lot of 0-0s - but I'd prefer that to 5-0s)!
Tons of things in this game,and the other game that should be better,I prefer to enjoy it/them until I stop doing it,I was fed up with 17last year,stopped playing it around new year, picked it up a few months ago again,loved it!
Same with the other games 15-16 (17 was a joke).

So I prefer to weigh good with the bad,or not play at all.
Agreeing with a wonky TS system, shouldn't effect the way it does.
And I totally understand why some can't see past the issues of a game,same here really,do I get to the point of not playing it?
Sometimes,yeah,but if you have a preference in your life/games,you'll sometimes see past those,on other games/things you don't.

I get furious just thinking about the biggest company in the world regarding football games,can't even implement a proper set of rules in their game,or the right kits for the right leagues,or the life long contract in player career.
Those are my breaking points.
If Konami had those,I'd probably see past those.
Good with the bad really,and what kind you can live with

Good with the bad really,and what kind you can live with
Amen. As I said in the other game thread, it's not for me. But whatever annoys you most one year will get you through the opposite game for that year, until something in that game (that's never fixed) puts you back on the other game again the next year.

We're all nutters (well, I know I am).

Amen. As I said in the other game thread, it's not for me. But whatever annoys you most one year will get you through the opposite game for that year, until something in that (that's never fixed) puts you back on the other game for the next year.

We're all nutters (well, I know I am).
Yeah,you know it mate.
The strive for the perfect game,that's us!
At the same time some people settles for Bake off :)
Good posts Chris
Perhaps we need to do what @geeeeee does,play a ML on 2008

There are a few players that I've come across in this game that are an absolute joy to control - so far Isco has been the main one for me but it's unreal, just so so enjoyable to play as Madrid and Spain and channel all attacks through him.

Just small flicks on the analogue stick, using R2 at the right times and occasionally using R1 to burst into space is just incredible with certain players. The game definitely has it's flaws but god I'm loving aspects of it right now.

There are a few players that I've come across in this game that are an absolute joy to control - so far Isco has been the main one for me but it's unreal, just so so enjoyable to play as Madrid and Spain and channel all attacks through him.

Just small flicks on the analogue stick, using R2 at the right times and occasionally using R1 to burst into space is just incredible with certain players. The game definitely has it's flaws but god I'm loving aspects of it right now.

Fantastic video. Delicious little skills.

Same thoughts here,finished my ML on 17,two days ago,but tried those games I mentioned,night and day.
If people can't see that,or won't see that,their loss.
There's absolutely no need to slander this game.
Love it,fouls though,fix those and it's an absolute classic.
No one has mentioned OP shooting or lack of variations there,cus there isn't an issue
I play on -1, shooting is so heavy!

But I'll guess the usual suspects will turn up here and start spreading their crap soon enough.
Guess the fifa demo keeps them occupied.
Yeah can imagine the Pc version being cool as shit.
I love my XB version

Hey Rockstrongo - i have the Xbox one version as well - do you know of any instructions on how to edit the teams that are unlicensed - i am enjoying the game so far but would like to know if you found something of use for other Xbox one users

Hey Rockstrongo - i have the Xbox one version as well - do you know of any instructions on how to edit the teams that are unlicensed - i am enjoying the game so far but would like to know if you found something of use for other Xbox one users
Hey Paolo
You thinking kits?
Hmm,last year I just edited after each team's website,and looked through the internet for tactics.
Haven't edit any teams yet,except Juventus,and just made a kit that looked somewhat near their kit.
I don't really care,since you can't make kits with logos anymore
Sorry if I didn't help,feel free to ask if there's something else you'll need

This is a long shot, but are saved highlights stored somewhere other than replay gallery? I swear I saved a few goals in my ml but they're nowhere to be seen :(

Hey Paolo
You thinking kits?
Hmm,last year I just edited after each team's website,and looked through the internet for tactics.
Haven't edit any teams yet,except Juventus,and just made a kit that looked somewhat near their kit.
I don't really care,since you can't make kits with logos anymore
Sorry if I didn't help,feel free to ask if there's something else you'll need

Hey rockstrongo -yes I am looking at kits. I guess I was hoping there is a site where someone had instructions on how to manually edit the kits to those missing teams. I too dont care about the logos - i am more interested in the gameplay but with the XBOX one the graphics and the HD quality is just plain awesome.

Anywho if anyone else who has the xbox knows of any links i would definitely be interested - at least for the bigger teams like Real and Juventus

Yeah,you know it mate.
The strive for the perfect game,that's us!
At the same time some people settles for Bake off :)
Good posts Chris
Perhaps we need to do what @geeeeee does,play a ML on 2008

Heh I was just reading your conversation and holding back from posting until I saw the mention.

I cannot really comment on the game because I haven't bought it...yet. But it is interesting to read the things that are annoying people and yet they were not an issue in the game 10 years ago.

Ping pong passing by the AI, in 2008 (PS2 version by the way) the AI occasionally does them but mostly takes a first touch before passing. Also in 2008 the AI misplaces passes quite a bit occording to their stats.

Team Spirit, in 2008 it is called 'Team Work' and it is a stat for each player and it effects how players work together but is implemented brilliantly. If you buy a player with low Team Work it will affect how players interact with him only... it will not affect the whole team. In the formation screen you can view the Team Work diagram and it will show how well players work together. In time this increases and the Individuals fit in better.

Shooting, I am reading from some that it is overpowered in 2018. In 2008 again it is all stat based, strong foot based, positioning based, defender's positioning based. Shots from both human and AI are varied. There are goals that both can score and may not be seen again for a whole season or more.

Scripting, I don't see this in 2008 and also earlier versions. But it could be confused with the Mentality stat. For example I played a ML game earlier and I was 1-0 up until about the 89th minute when my defender, who was AI controlled, did a sliding tackle and gave away a penalty and the team equalised. Some would say scripting, I like to see it that because he has a low Mentality stat and his Stamina was low it made him make the wrong decision. That makes me think twice about playing him in the next game.

Pressing, I have seen videos where the player can just run down the wing with no pressure. In 2008 even on Regular difficulty you get pressed quite a bit depending on the players you are up against. It can be hard to find space.

Lastly Penalties, Free Kicks, and Injuries. All these are thankfully included in PES2008.

Sorry to harp on about the game but it makes me ask the "Konami, what has happened in the last 10 years?"

You see @rockstrongo what you have made me do, post when I was holding back so well. :P

Heh I was just reading your conversation and holding back from posting until I saw the mention.

I cannot really comment on the game because I haven't bought it...yet. But it is interesting to read the things that are annoying people and yet they were not an issue in the game 10 years ago.

Ping pong passing by the AI, in 2008 (PS2 version by the way) the AI occasionally does them but mostly takes a first touch before passing. Also in 2008 the AI misplaces passes quite a bit occording to their stats.

Team Spirit, in 2008 it is called 'Team Work' and it is a stat for each player and it effects how players work together but is implemented brilliantly. If you buy a player with low Team Work it will affect how players interact with him only... it will not affect the whole team. In the formation screen you can view the Team Work diagram and it will show how well players work together. In time this increases and the Individuals fit in better.

Shooting, I am reading from some that it is overpowered in 2018. In 2008 again it is all stat based, strong foot based, positioning based, defender's positioning based. Shots from both human and AI are varied. There are goals that both can score and may not be seen again for a whole season or more.

Scripting, I don't see this in 2008 and also earlier versions. But it could be confused with the Mentality stat. For example I played a ML game earlier and I was 1-0 up until about the 89th minute when my defender, who was AI controlled, did a sliding tackle and gave away a penalty and the team equalised. Some would say scripting, I like to see it that because he has a low Mentality stat and his Stamina was low it made him make the wrong decision. That makes me think twice about playing him in the next game.

Pressing, I have seen videos where the player can just run down the wing with no pressure. In 2008 even on Regular difficulty you get pressed quite a bit depending on the players you are up against. It can be hard to find space.

Lastly Penalties, Free Kicks, and Injuries. All these are thankfully included in PES2008.

Sorry to harp on about the game but it makes me ask the "Konami, what has happened in the last 10 years?"

You see @rockstrongo what you have made me do, post when I was holding back so well. :P
Very valid and good points mate.
I think shooting is great in this one
The no pressing issue up and down,i experience pressure every game,but then suddenly it's gone for long times.
It's a confusing game this,brilliant at some parts horrible on others
Freekicks is just confusing up and down,had a few games with yellow cards and sending off,then two games without them.

Yeah,Konami were more innovative back then.
On the other hand,being here since -06,people were shitting on Pes 7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17 as well.
Think I'll just stick to playing GTA,non scripted gunfights there

I'm enjoying aspects of the game but some of the stuff is just unforgivable.

On the pitch, the CPU through balls only work because your defenders automatically push up, creating a huge gap meaning you can't recover in time to make a tackle. The AI has ridiculous passing accuracy and teams like Chievo can cut through a back 5 with 2 players through a series of quick fire passes and a bullshit through ball which is impossible to cut out due to the above mentioned issue. The game also feels ridiculously floaty. Like it's on Tramadol or Ketamine or something. Movement feels like it's happening under water, and at times the ball physics are shocking. The ball just tends to keep rolling....it feels like it takes a second too long to catch up to the ball.

Off the field, the ML Transfer system is fucked. Good teams selling world class players to mid table teams. I've already read the post about Liverpool selling their full team! That coupled with Konami's refusal to update transfers. How frigging hard would it seriously. It's a 3 hour job. I mean, a couple of guys with an option file can patch it almost on release date, yet a multi million pound company like Konami can't be arsed?

That said, there's elements of the game that are very enjoyable, all of which makes the above complaints all the more annoying.

Watching the match by this one guy. He was Chelsea and he lost to Swancerlona(Swansea) by 4-1 and Swansea playing like world class and in the next match, he(Chelsea) end up beating Barcelona 6-0 with the same team that lost 4-1 against Swansea. In this game, you will be happy to play against world class teams because it's so easy to beat them. F.A CUP is a harder competition than UCL. Just look at these gifs Chelsea vs Swansea:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I am not picky about my footie game like most other hardcore fans but the one thing I expect is for world class teams to be harder to beat than skybet league which is not the case in PES 2018. According to PES 2018 logic Swansea > Real Madrid and Barca.

Conclusion: Every player can pass the same way.

I've just beaten Barcelona 3-1 in the CL and then lost the next match 3-1 to Chievo.....who were much better on the ball and going forward.

I'm a day in and already regretting buying it.

Watching the match by this one guy. He was Chelsea and he lost to Swancerlona(Swansea) by 4-1 and Swansea playing like world class and in the next match, he(Chelsea) end up beating Barcelona 6-0 with the same team that lost 4-1 against Swansea. In this game, you will be happy to play against world class teams because it's so easy to beat them. F.A CUP is a harder competition than UCL. Just look at these gifs Chelsea vs Swansea:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I am not picky about my footie game like most other hardcore fans but the one thing I expect is for world class teams to be harder to beat than skybet league which is not the case in PES 2018. According to PES 2018 logic Swansea > Real Madrid and Barca.

Conclusion: Every player can pass the same way.

Just lost against Watford 5-1 now and went to beat Man Utd 3-0. I am playing with Leicester City in world class. Watford had 95% passing completion rate whereas Man Utd had 81%. This game makes no sense. I will make a video about this soon on my channel. This is so annoying. What have you done Konami? How can you ruin such a beautiful and fun game with this crap?

I've just beaten Barcelona 3-1 in the CL and then lost the next match 3-1 to Chievo.....who were much better on the ball and going forward.

I'm a day in and already regretting buying it.

Just lost against Watford 5-1 now and went to beat Man Utd 3-0. I am playing with Leicester City in world class. Watford had 95% passing completion rate whereas Man Utd had 81%. This game makes no sense. I will make a video about this soon on my channel. This is so annoying. What have you done Konami? How can you ruin such a beautiful and fun game with this crap?
What difficulty are you guys on?

Back
Top Bottom