PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

in the first 5 days of the transfer window in my test ML, liverpool sold Salah, Mane, Firmino, Chamberlain and Henderson. Surely this need patching

So LFC would sell all their first choice front 3 in one summer? Er nope.
Fuck me - Chamberlain been there 15 days!
Hendersons fine to sell. Hes crap haha.

I would love to play the game this weekend...but seems like Aussie release is the 19th, unless I can find it somewhere already. Quick question though - since I'm on Xbox I believe there are no option files but I'm happy to go through and edit team names based on the real names thread, but will those changes get erased whenever game updates are applied going forward? Or does that only affect option files installed through whatever process that uses. I don't want to spend some time fixing things then have it all undone basically.

Also - it would be good to have the kit formula's somewhere for us Xbox'ers.

I too would love to know this. Kit formulas are a massive help! Failing that I've seen a few vids on youtube start to pop up!

Picked up within hours of people playing or nevermind days. Yet they wax lyrical about the mode pre release.

The market values are a complete mess as well. I haven't tried buying these players but Lemar is apparently only worth £15m, Rashford similar.

I've only just unlocked legend difficulty and I've been playing on superstar difficulty since Tuesday evening... I hadn't even realised that I've only 5 games at this point, jesus. On the plus side, getting the hang of it a little more now too - you can't play it like you'd play PES 2017. Scored a few really gorgeous goals and there are some players that just feel incredible to use. Isco is the one that really springs to mind for me, I just want to channel every attack through him!

How do you unlock the legends? what game modes can they be used in?

Probably a dumb question but I have been away from PES for a few years.

Last edited:
in the first 5 days of the transfer window in my test ML, liverpool sold Salah, Mane, Firmino, Chamberlain and Henderson. Surely this need patching

Thought it might be a bug with the "Challenge" option in ML so tried a "classic" ML, Nope! This time liverpool sold sturridge, mane, firmino, lallana, emre can and milner

I saw Mane go to Chelsea but the best one for me was Firmino... yes Firmino to West Brom! hahahahaha Gotta love the dodgiest transfers in a video game!
All of this is actually putting me off playing master league this year

The game is great in so many areas but so amateur in lots of other areas as well

The shooting is actually better in full game than demo so am pleasantly surprised there

But the lack of fouls and that exploit that Lami has highlighted

Man, konami baffle me every single year

I love this game but man I suck at it!!

yeah.. me too. but I didn't realize how bad I suck at until playing online. offline I do very well against top player and can also beat superstar.. but online I seem to suck compared to most others. That's one thing I'm having trouble with is deciding on a camera for Co op online and pass support settings. anyone has any tips to help me please respond.

I currently use PA1 offline and have no problem passing really but when I play online especially in CO OP with friends... my passing is horrible. it's extremely difficult. I think I might need put it on PA2 for that mode. anyone else notice this?

Playing online is a mess, there is just to much lag to play a normal game. Anyone have the same issue? [PS4]

to be honest with you. I live in the states and I had the game since Monday night at midnight and one of the biggest surprises of this entire game to me is that online has worked from day 1 and is very playable without hardly any bad lag. I have hardly ever had lag. now of course there is a more of button delay when compared to offline.. you especially notice this in 3 v 3 co op.. but when I play 1 v 1 it's pretty smooth just like FIFA basically when I play seasons. The only time I seen this game lag for a moment is when one of my buddies got on our co op team using wireless. but still it only did it for a brief moment. but for the most part I'm pretty impressed with Konami's online servers for once. grant it.. maybe it's been good for awhile.. I haven't played PES in awhile but from what I remember it's always sucked very bad online in terms of lag and connecting. but I do agree with zee that they should try the fifa route of letting you warmup in game while it's connecting to game or something.. or finding match.

Ok, the more i play this game the more impressed i get. I don't usually get too hyped after PES releases. I enjoy them at first but have issues and soon lose the excitment...this game however is a little different. I may well grow to dislike it but i've not had as much fun playing PES since the PS2 days. If the longevity is there it'll be the best ever.

Yes there are some issues. Not sure what Lami's is because i've avoided and don't want to know but the things I can do in this game are just special. The way you can use midfielders to dictate play, the left stick dribbling, first touches, sudden quick passes to open the game after slow build up, it's all amazing.

The biggest compliment i can pay is the most satifying goals are the realistic build up like the old days and they happen fairly often. It just feels so so good. The more i play the better it gets.

If shooting was more satisfying i think i'd be full on back to my childhood.

Ok, the more i play this game the more impressed i get. I don't usually get too hyped after PES releases. I enjoy them at first but have issues and soon lose the excitment...this game however is a little different. I may well grow to dislike it but i've not had as much fun playing PES since the PS2 days. If the longevity is there it'll be the best ever.

Yes there are some issues. Not sure what Lami's is because i've avoided and don't want to know but the things I can do in this game are just special. The way you can use midfielders to dictate play, the left stick dribbling, first touches, sudden quick passes to open the game after slow build up, it's all amazing.

The biggest compliment i can pay is the most satifying goals are the realistic build up like the old days and they happen fairly often. It just feels so so good. The more i play the better it gets.

If shooting was more satisfying i think i'd be full on back to my childhood.

It's great to hear people enjoying it this much! I'd love to be able to as well. Can I ask what kind of settings you're using (things like pass assistance, game speed, difficulty, camera etc)? And have you tweaked the opposition's tactics anything at all? What game modes are you playing?

I have a feeling there's a good game in there somewhere, I just haven't found it yet.

It's great to hear people enjoying it this much! I'd love to be able to as well. Can I ask what kind of settings you're using (things like pass assistance, game speed, difficulty, camera etc)? And have you tweaked the opposition's tactics anything at all? What game modes are you playing?

I have a feeling there's a good game in there somewhere, I just haven't found it yet.

I'll be totally honest, the first 15 games I sat back and thought "why did I think the beta was so different from 17?" Then I changed to 15 min games and went from PA0 to PA1 so I wasn't getting needlessly frustrated. I have been winning fairly comfortably on top play in my ML so so will likely go to PA0 again soon.

My camera setting are in the thread but I've been messing with those too.

The key for me, as many have pointed out is to not force the games. 15min matches help with that. I've been passing around in seemingly pointless areas to manipulate oppo players out of position then suddenly speeding up with either a quick move to beat a player and find space or 1-2s etc.

I haven't touched any tactics other than my own. I played as spurs and LOVED using them so have used their tactics in ML with Valencia and wing back advanced defending.

I'll be totally honest, the first 15 games I sat back and thought "why did I think the beta was so different from 17?" Then I changed to 15 min games and went from PA0 to PA1 so I wasn't getting needlessly frustrated. I have been winning fairly comfortably on top play in my ML so so will likely go to PA0 again soon.

The key for me, as many have pointed out is to not force the games. 15min matches help with that. I've been passing around in seemingly pointless areas to manipulate oppo players out of position then suddenly speeding up with either a quick move to beat a player and find space or 1-2s etc.

I haven't touched any tactics other than my own. I played as spurs and LOVED using them so have used their tactics in ML with Valencia and wing back advanced defending.
Needs patience,both in def and offense,took me a while getting defending down
I'm on 20 min,manual passing,basic shooting is good enough for me in this game,zero game speed

is anyone else in the US and trying to use the PESUNIVERSE file but noticing after applying the team import a lot for the transfers get switched back to old teams? i.e. rooney is back on manu

Cheers! Thanks for sharing. :) Ive also enjoyed it the most on top player level one pass assist, although it's a bit too easy. But thanks for the advice, I'll start an ml just to get beyond the exhibition matches to get a better feel for things. :)

It's great to hear people enjoying it this much! I'd love to be able to as well.
Oh man, took the words right out of my mouth.

I think when an option file comes along that revamps formations and gives teams the right advanced tactics, it'll be much better, for me. But even then, you have to be able to overlook the reeeeeeeeediculous number of first-time-passes-in-a-row throughout the game, lack of fouls (BUT a patch might help there at least), etc.

I've been hammering the ML, trying to see the positives, but I've found that a poor team spirit is reflected in the game by:

A) DECREASING YOUR RESPONSE TIMES: There's an example in a gameplay video I uploaded the other day where I've pressed the long pass button to hit a clearance in defence, and the power bar appears above his head, with the striker 10ft behind him - but he waits for about two seconds (I'm not sprinting, the ball is DIRECTLY in-front of him) - allowing the striker to run around his side and kick the ball into the net. When people say ridiculous things like "it's still a PS2 game", it's this kind of bullshit they're referring to (though it's still obviously such a hyperbolic statement) - and I get it.

Representing ability (or inability) by essentially going "la la la you didn't just press a button la la la", in 2017, is just mind-boggling to me.

B) INCREASING THE OPPONENT'S ABILITY (mainly to first-time pass the ball all over the place): Playing as Newcastle against Watford, I was drawing 0-0. They'd attack and my defenders packed the box. I'd attack, their defenders packed the box. Same thing I'm seeing most of the time (hence my wish for a tactics option file, which I think could potentially iron this out completely). However, I made two substitutions, and the team spirit went from 70 to 50. Suddenly, Watford were pinging 10+ first-time passes together at a time, and I barely hung on.

Our pass accuracy dropped slightly (and it was random players giving the ball away rather than the two supposed "weak links", which doesn't really sense), but absolutely BLATANT was the boost that the AI was given.

The game has lots of these little "shortcuts to realism" and they feel horrible, IMO. Reducing the AI's short-passing abilities to 40 and seeing the pass accuracy difference at the end of the game (i.e. literally no difference) is the biggest proof of that, and after seeing that, I really don't know that I can look past it. When you know the AI's abilities are "filled in" using a combination of difficulty level and your team spirit.

Just my (lifelong PES fan) opinion...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom