PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

You consider yourself as old with 32 year?
Well, not old in terms of age itself (I'm also fairly young at heart indeed): I meant that I thought I was older than the average age of people gaming nowadays.
Maybe it's just me, but since I moved in with the missus (we're getting married next spring after 7 years of relationship) my time dedicated to gaming has dramatically decreased so I assumed that this was the thing that would happen to anyone getting 'older' (that's why I thought that the average gamer would be younger than me).
I'm glad you all proved me wrong though, it's great to see people from all ages still spend some time with videogames, still love gaming and (most of all) still love PES (which, I see, has played a role the lives of many of us). It made me understand that I can still be playing for years if I manage to find the right spaces for it. :)

Pretty sure Evo-web old-timers could write a book; 'How PES Changed My Life'.
Not as sure what genre it would fit into. Certainly not Self help books. Maybe Horror.
Oh yeah, definitely. PES has been therapeutic in many occasions for me.
Basically, each time I split up with a girl (don't be fooled by the marriage thing, the longest relationship I had before the current one hardly managed to reach 6 months), PES was there for me to spend hours and hours not thinking about her, slowly helping me wash away the pain.

Last edited:
If you or anyone you know is affected by any of the issues raised in this thread, call The Samaritans (UK) on 116 123. Next up tonight, Anneka Rice can't wait to taste this week's desserts, but one of the contestants will be going home - it's time for "Rice Puddings".

Challenge Anneka :) yeah ok I will challenge her to ask Konami to make the "Basic" shooting in PES 2018 a LOT better than it was in the Online BETA!!

And before anyone says "But TDSAP.. its because your using Basic"... bullshit! Did PES 3,4,5 and 6 have "Basic / Advanced" Shooting? NO. Were the shots varied and goals actually rewarding when the ball hit the back of the net? YES....

imagen82551g.jpg

True, but is one extra slot, or even a handful of extra slots, a big deal?
I agree. We can "license" any team ourselves thanks to the talent of this community - but we can't do that with stadiums.

Given that Konami know what their community do for them in terms of option files (I wouldn't play the game in its default state, and I doubt a lot of us would), it astonishes me that a stadium editor isn't on their priority list.

We need every editing tool they can give us - even down to a font editor for kit names and numbers. There's nothing to stop them implementing one - even a pixel editor, in the way we used to have to "draw" badges etc...

When we can take videos/screenshots of the game on console and people can't tell these teams aren't licensed - then it starts to sell more copies.

I agree. We can "license" any team ourselves thanks to the talent of this community - but we can't do that with stadiums.

Given that Konami know what their community do for them in terms of option files (I wouldn't play the game in its default state, and I doubt a lot of us would), it astonishes me that a stadium editor isn't on their priority list.

We need every editing tool they can give us - even down to a font editor for kit names and numbers. There's nothing to stop them implementing one - even a pixel editor, in the way we used to have to "draw" badges etc...

When we can take videos/screenshots of the game on console and people can't tell these teams aren't licensed - then it starts to sell more copies.

Spot on mate. Like this picture...
Apart from the improved graphics, a pic like this could be made on PES 17 without any exclusive license.

My only concern with sliders is that, while we kind of get what we want, we also lose our collective voice quite a bit. We're not talking about the same game as each other, or a lot of the arguments we put forward are dismissed with a 'try sliders' comment. While sliders can definitely be a real boon and something for the community to really get their teeth stuck into, it also means that we're considered to be catered for already, to some extent. The devs can then focus on keeping the majority happy even if it means veering further away from what we would want from the vanilla game.

Worst of all is when we are unable to use sliders online against each other, which means we get boxed ever tighter into a corner. I want to enjoy every mode, and I want to be able to play anyone, and theoretically beat anyone if I play the better football. We need the devs to try to bring us all closer together, whereas sliders could potentially further drive a wedge between us.

I really think people are completely missing the point with partnerships, as well as maybe not being aware of timeline as to when they were signed off.

It's not about editing slots or stadiums, but exposure for both the club and the game. It's business.

That said, and referring back to timeline, who is to say that the ink hasn't just dried on this deal? Who actually knows how long the deal will run for? Was Athletico's stadium immediately in the game after agreeing a partnership, or did that take a wee bit time? They have been licensed for a number of years.

There is actually a passable, Mestalla-type stadium in PES2017 called the Campeones. Can I just ask if folk think every licensed team should have their stadium in the game or it will kill it? If so, please explain FIFA to me, as they have hundreds upon hundreds of stadiums missing for clubs.

If the charge is "But it is a partnership!" then where is it written that a partnership must include a teams stadium? Where is the legally binding definition of "partnership" when considering one between a football club and a games publisher that states categorically that Konami are doing it wrong? Can someone link me up?

Stadium Editor FTW.... why this was ever taken out of PES is beyond me?

I really think people are completely missing the point with partnerships, as well as maybe not being aware of timeline as to when they were signed off.

It's not about editing slots or stadiums, but exposure for both the club and the game. It's business.

That said, and referring back to timeline, who is to say that the ink hasn't just dried on this deal? Who actually knows how long the deal will run for? Was Athletico's stadium immediately in the game after agreeing a partnership, or did that take a wee bit time? They have been licensed for a number of years.

There is actually a passable, Mestalla-type stadium in PES2017 called the Campeones. Can I just ask if folk think every licensed team should have their stadium in the game or it will kill it? If so, please explain FIFA to me, as they have hundreds upon hundreds of stadiums missing for clubs.

If the charge is "But it is a partnership!" then where is it written that a partnership must include a teams stadium? Where is the legally binding definition of "partnership" when considering one between a football club and a games publisher that states categorically that Konami are doing it wrong? Can someone link me up?

I don't think you can really compare PES V FIFA when it comes to stadiums, FIFA has more licensed stadiums then PES has stadiums.
Both could and should be doing better with their licenses.

There's no legally binding definition of "partnership" that states that Konami are doing it wrong, of course.
And don't get me wrong, I'm really happy that they've signed this deal with Valencia. More teams of this kind (not powerhouses, but teams with a history and with good players nonetheless) will hopefully follow.

Thing is: if Konami signed a partnership with a football club, you'd expect this club to somehow stand out from the others. If they don't add exclusive Valencia content (for example their stadium, it's the first thing I can think of) which would the difference between Valencia and an average Udinese be?

The "the deal has just been signed" thing doesn't really count as an excuse though: if they were planning to add Valencia's stadium, they could do like they did with Liverpool last year and say "we know we won't have the stadium ready at dayone, but we'll create it and release it as a DLC when it is".

Can I play? Zico and Adriano!

(I'd like to see Zico with him being on the cover of WE10, even though he didn't have the career of some, and Adriano seeing as he was essentially God in PES 5.)

Dortmund and Liverpool stadiums came in data pack. So maybe Konami just needs more time to make them.
Dortmund and Liverpool stadiums were announced during their announcements in August last year
this time they didn't say that there would be stadiums for fulham and valencia
they only said their kits and squads would be fully recreated
If stadiums would come later in DLC why didn't they announce too

curdstar, why do you keep comparing PES to FIFA if you don't mind me asking? People are critiquing PES (and they are perfectly entitled to do so) and you keep then throwing FIFA into the fire? I hate to use the words Fan Boy but that is how you are coming across to me.

I wasn't comparing, but I was asking a question and made reference to FIFA in terms of stadiums in relation to licensed teams. I wasn't critiquing FIFA; didn't say it was bad, lesser, or evil. I was merely trying to gain an understanding of the critique levelled at PES when both games, regardless of budget, licenses or overall clout, are missing many stadiums. No football game is at a level whereby every acquired license or partnership is fully "realised", unless we consider FIFA's tlc for the EPL (again, not a criticism) but then PES did that with La Liga in PES2013 too. I'm certainly not being fanboy-ish, unless questions are the trademark of a fanboy. Some answered my question directly, some didn't. Whatever. I'll use the contrast and compare for such matters, but fully expect you to call out any comparisons made in here in future.

For me the biggest thing they could have added they have - the ability to select time of day in the master league. I want more stadiums, but to me the most important think about a stadium is the turf as it is 95% of what you look at when you play the game.

If I can select a team with a decent turf and none electronic add-boards, I would be happy playing every game in that stadium and just changing the conditions. I wouldn't mind them bringing afternoon back as a selectable match time, PES was the first to have 8 or so turfs for each stadium depending on the conditions and then FIFA copied it and the PES took it out

Dortmund and Liverpool stadiums came in data pack. So maybe Konami just needs more time to make them.

If it is a multi-year deal then I would expect the stadiums to appear in future, just perhaps not via dlc for PES2018. I would like to be wrong there regards dlc, but would be no big deal to me personally if that weren't to prove so.

Oh, and the stadium editor will never, ever, ever be coming back. Anytime soon at least. The only way I could see it returning is if the gameplay and other features are near perfection that they can revisit including a stadium editor, otherwise they will be accused of not using resources properly if other stuff isn't right. Maybe we on here wouldn't, including I, but they would likely face that accusation elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom