PES 2013 Discussion Thread

Re: PES 2013 Discussion Thread .......

Nice huh ;)

If it works properly, people should be able to aim for the corners now and get closer ;)

Weightier shots, slower gamespeed and less rails combined with the manual shooting could really be the icing on the cake gameplay wise. Of course, there's the AI we need to look at as well but it's sounding very sweet indeed!

I'm looking forward to impressions from the guys who go out and play test the game today. If they're allowed to tell us anything that is!

Nice huh ;)

If it works properly, people should be able to aim for the corners now and get closer ;)

Weightier shots, slower gamespeed and less rails combined with the manual shooting could really be the icing on the cake gameplay wise. Of course, there's the AI we need to look at as well but it's sounding very sweet indeed!

Yup, adding the new freedom for the player is a positive but in terms of the overall gameplay experience, if the AI still plays a scripted cheat-fest whenever it needs a goal, it undoes all the good work. The AI must play to its stats all the time, not just some of the time. If they still become perfect, turbo-speed super-gods in the last 5 minutes of every match, then the game is still poor.

FIFA have been trying to open up the freedom as well, but playing against the AI is still gash, so it still doesn't make for a good 1 player game - far from it.

Are you kidding?! If you aren't then ask why they opted for auto defending on online play. You could literally put the controller down and the CPU defends for you. This is with all assisted settings off as well.

Also ask about online play in general. when or if they going to make lobbies for unassisted players and we can restrict match rooms accordingly.its a schlep setting up a room asking a guy if he unassisted and watching him ping pong pass 30 and chip your keeper with a snigger.

^^^seconded. Ask about MLO changes.

Also, attributes and cards. Which are removed, which are new, and which have returned. And are they aware that the Speed Merchant card is universally despised?

Rom - can you ask about customisable camera please?

Also - does the ball curl/swerve on manual shooting or only with the right stick?

Cheers man

have they worked on player select on set pieces. You can see what player is being selected but try as you may even placing a player between the Ball kicker and the recipient he almost always gets on the end of it. Its a cheap way of scoring on PES2012

In 2012 if you applied pressure high enough up the pitch, up to the goalkeeper, he would try passing the ball out from the back even though it would be better to clear the ball. Does this still happen? It only happens against the CPU from my memory.

Has the player switching being fixed?

Has the awareness of the players been improved?

Testing stuff in 2 hours, with a buggy X360 (so an X360 then), and with shit reception to check what people want, is HARD. Honestly don't think it's feasible for me to do a lengthy write-up with such a small amount of time. There's no way I'm going to put a massive post up based on 2 hours of play that people can expect to be a reliable indicator of how the game will hold up to a year's play.

It's a lot slower - slower than 2011 possibly, particularly with passing speed which was where a lot of 2011's pace came from. The shooting is a lot firmer, particularly with those who you'd expect to smack the ball. Teams stay far truer to their formations, compared to 2012 which would often be pretty chaotic and structureless. The deft touch control is great for dribbling in tight spaces, though not very balanced just now. The idea is that you time your press of R2 with your player's first touch to get the ball down, which was definitely necessary with Valencia and Sevilla. When you got it right the trap was near perfect, which was great in most cases but even the lesser players should have some error. Thankfully this was mentioned before we started so they're on the case. The R2 dribbling with the foot on the ball was universal too, which I'm feeding back to Adam - defenders need to feel less composed than more technical players and these two R2 features take away from that somewhat.

We had an interview with a dev but I was in a group of 3 and we had to wrap up too soon for me to put much stuff forward. I relayed to them that the AI was still too direct on the ball, and we asked for separate buttons for over and under arm throw outs for the keeper.

I'll get something done for you tomorrow, I need my phone battery to get home tonight!

Hi Rom, it's nice to have the opporunity to make questions about the game to a reliable man like you.

My question is: did you play on the standard gamespeed (zero) or did you feel the need to tone it down to -1 or -2 ? If you played it on standard gamespeed, how excactly slow the game feels compared to pes 2012 ? It feels like you were playing in -1 or -2 in PES 2012 or even slower than -2 after the 1.06 patch ?

Can you still close down players so quickly holding double pressure buttons like people do online ? Is there any evidence of staminia/fatigue ?

Also, if you played against the CPU, does the cpu AI still play way too direct like in Pes 2012 ? Does the AI make more lateral passes this time ?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Just a quick post for you Dudu...

Did not feel the need to slow the game down. If you play 2012 on -2 then you'll be happy with 0 or -1 I reckon. In fact I'm slightly expecting them to increase the pace from this - I can imagine people (not us) feeding back from the demo that they want it faster.

Pressuring is hard to gauge. You'll get a lot more time because the game is slower so you have more time to react, and the dribbling means you're better equipped to get out of the way of someone sprinting at you. I can't honestly say it's improved though because we weren't in a position where we could really test how we can deal with pressuring. What I will say is that it's easier to burst away from a standing start - the R1+R2 burst is more satisfying to use, and knocks the ball further away so you're more likely to lose a player or win a free kick. Stamina seems much the same - there isn't a two tier system. Players did seem slightly more tired towards the end of games though, a lot less sprinting in attacking runs.

As I said earlier, the AI was still too direct, and I said so to the dev, Mano Hosoda. Remember it's still June, so there's still a lot of time for this stuff to be worked on (though I expect the demo will be much the same as what we played).

Just a quick post for you Dudu...

Did not feel the need to slow the game down. If you play 2012 on -2 then you'll be happy with 0 or -1 I reckon. In fact I'm slightly expecting them to increase the pace from this - I can imagine people (not us) feeding back from the demo that they want it faster.

Pressuring is hard to gauge. You'll get a lot more time because the game is slower so you have more time to react, and the dribbling means you're better equipped to get out of the way of someone sprinting at you. I can't honestly say it's improved though because we weren't in a position where we could really test how we can deal with pressuring. What I will say is that it's easier to burst away from a standing start - the R1+R2 burst is more satisfying to use, and knocks the ball further away so you're more likely to lose a player or win a free kick. Stamina seems much the same - there isn't a two tier system. Players did seem slightly more tired towards the end of games though, a lot less sprinting in attacking runs.

As I said earlier, the AI was still too direct, and I said so to the dev, Mano Hosoda. Remember it's still June, so there's still a lot of time for this stuff to be worked on (though I expect the demo will be much the same as what we played).

Ok. I really aprecciate your efforts to answer my questions, Rom.:))

But I have to say, I am really worried now considering what Konami have done on the two previous games with the retail version compared to the demos. I just hope that with the new lead developer this changes and they get the right feddback.

I'm not so confident about the CPU AI now. I think they should have showed an obvious improvement from the pes 2012 on this early stage.

Oh, and just one more thing (don't answer if you are busy atm): How is passing assistance ? Did you play on standard setting (3 bars) ? If I'm not wrong, I think Adam said that even on 3 bars you can make mistakes. Are contextual erros really more pronounced this time ?

But I will judge when i put my hands on the demo.

Last edited:

hey how is the shooting?how do curled shots look and come off is the ball phyics if thats how u spell it correct and in working order?have they sorted the sensativity of the crontroller i guess my real question is has shooting been sorted?!!!!!

The konami is negotiating the inclusion of Brazilian teams in the game, then it is widely believed that the Brazilian league (BRASILEIRÃO) will be part of the game. The announcement of a Master League with COPA LIBERTADORES included only reinforces this. In this link, in Portuguese, says that nearly six teams confirmed their participation in the game, while others are under negotiation or have an interest in being part of PES2013. Just a shame that this season my team (Atletico Paranaense) is in League B. = (
http://jogos.uol.com.br/ultimas-not...leiros-fora-da-libertadores-para-pes-2013.htm

I hope the other southamerican leagues will be licensed in the game,will a new paradigm for the series!!

*PES2012 sold nearly 1.000.000 units in Brazil, explaining the growing interest thee softhouse for the Country :WORSHIP:

The konami is negotiating the inclusion of Brazilian teams in the game, then it is widely believed that the Brazilian league (BRASILEIRÃO) will be part of the game. The announcement of a Master League with COPA LIBERTADORES included only reinforces this. In this link, in Portuguese, says that nearly six teams confirmed their participation in the game, while others are under negotiation or have an interest in being part of PES2013. Just a shame that this season my team (Atletico Paranaense) is in League B. = (
http://jogos.uol.com.br/ultimas-not...leiros-fora-da-libertadores-para-pes-2013.htm

I hope the other southamerican leagues will be licensed in the game,will a new paradigm for the series!!

*PES2012 sold nearly 1.000.000 units in Brazil, explaining the growing interest thee softhouse for the Country :WORSHIP:

Brilliant news! Let's hope this year it's the top divisions and then next year they add the lower leagues for a full ML experience! :P

The shooting is essentially the same as 2012 but with more power. I didn't notice any problems directing my shots at all, but I didn't notice any more curl. I did try to curl manual shots but with no success. By the end, I wasn't sure if curling was done with the left or right stick: the control printouts didn't include any info on this, and it would probably have been wrong anyway - the printout also showed dynamic 1-2s as being controlled with the left stick when in fact it was the right stick. I did see a couple of very tasty manual shots though, including one that was drilled in at the near post from inside the box.

Manual shooting is really something that needs to be tested in isolation as it's potentially got a lot of depth but, if you want to get the right stick involved, isn't easy to pull off. Pressing L2 + Triangle for a low shot is so counterintuitive too - apparently somebody suggested double tapping Square, which makes much more sense.

For passing I used 2 bar and 1 bar and noticed a difference, which I wouldn't have done in 2012. I also noticed it was a lot easier to use the left stick to play the ball into space, as Iniesta stabbed a pass outside the fullback for Pedro's diagonal run from infield. I do think it's slightly more manual than 2012, but it's not a major difference. It still needs refining to make sure it picks the right target.

I didn't see any Busquets flicks ;) but I did notice the AI used quite a few of those R3 flicks and sombreros. I'll let Adam know so he can feed it back.

Keepers are better but still need work. I saw a couple of great sprawling one handed saves, but also conceded one (of many) to the AI where Pedro did one of those sit-on-your-arse overhead kicks and the ball looped over a ploppy two-handed leap. Konami have had plenty fed back to them about keepers and I'm sure/hoping more work is to come.

Long balls seemed quite erratic in terms of controlling whether the ball is driven or loftier. I'm sure there's a knack but I didn't manage to crack it in the 7 or 8 games I probably had. The manual long ball seemed pretty erratic - I tried to hit a number where I used something like half power, and the ball barely went 10 yards. When I charged it fully the ball went a lot further (though not far enough to go out of play if you did it from fullback to fullback).

One aspect I admire about Konami is the persistence of having 'loose' keepers. Would much rather have their sporadic fumbles and gaffs then than predetermined feeling of magnetic hands you get in FIFA. Really maintains the feeling of being able to score from anywhere, which is absolutely imperative in instilling edge of the seat excitement.

I'll admit they were farcical pre-patch, but honestly I feel the latest coding for them for the final patch in PES 12 was fine. Absolutely fine 90% of the time, and any gaffs besides that effectively represent real-life football. How many bad keeping errors have we seen so far this tournament?

How fluid was the game though? 2012 was a bit too fluid imo and it needs to take a step back to 2011 in that regard. Some of the momentum was lost in 2012. Many players felt too comfy with the ball and moved with ease. Did that change in 2013?

excuse my stupid question.
Romagnoli, where you have played this version of PES 2013?
my questions.

there really a difference? the gameplay is fluid? freedom? this is very important.

The triangle button is used for something?

Konami just ask you this:

real improvements to the shootings, but manuals.
Correction of the passes.
triangle button, for the love of god, pes 2012 is completely useless, IA defense reminds me of the Italian catenaccio.

this sport is so beautiful, and yet I can not believe we have reached the year 2012 and none of the 2 games (FIFA and PES) meets my expectations.

other sports games..

Rally Richard Burns (simulation)
Dirt 3 (arcade / semi-simulation) incredible graphics

Basket: NBA2k (graphics and semi-simulation)

soccer??? :( shit

Back
Top Bottom