PES 2013 Discussion Thread

Re: PES 2013 Discussion Thread .......

How fluid was the game though? 2012 was a bit too fluid imo and it needs to take a step back to 2011 in that regard. Some of the momentum was lost in 2012. Many players felt too comfy with the ball and moved with ease. Did that change in 2013?

The momentum seems better, though I'd say it's 80% because of the speed being reduced and 20% due to dribbling being slightly toned down. I'm slightly apprehensive about players like Neymar, I managed some fairly crazy runs with him inside a packed box. But the tackling is quite different now, with the double tap (or single tap if you're already holding it down) being a pretty important part of the defensive gameplay, and we (me and Daymos) were both far from used to it.

Dribbling with centrebacks is too good with R2. It could do with more toning down when just left-sticking, but with the slower gamespeed and slight improvements you're more likely to get caught out if you play silly buggers.

Thanks for the posts Rom. We all appreciate it. Thanks for also feeding some of those problems back to Konami. Let's hope they can improve on some or all of those areas.

I agree with that comment on the previous page - keepers have hardly put a foot wrong since the patch. And I've seen some great low saves with one hand, even getting down to dig out a shot from the post and turn it wide.

The main thing that would improve the experience for me is making the animations look less weird on certain occassions. The 2 handed ones up in the air and the ones where a keeper falls on his side with his hand half stretched, where he should really take a step across and try and dive down to the ball. That way it looks like the keeper has tried and just been beaten by the placement or the power, rather than you thinking, why did he just fall down so early?

I hope you're right about the speed burst being more effective. I'd love to be able to use this new close control dribble and then hit the sprint button to do a speed burst. Like you can on FIFA Street.

Or maybe they can let you do a speed burst or knock on with the sprint button and the right stick for direction? I'm not sure how this new first touch control works but can you receive the ball and knock it into a space you want to run into in one movement.

I mean, look at the burst of speed Pirlo made the other night against Spain. I reckon on PES 2011 you could do it more easily with a double tap of sprint for a short knock on or a triple tap for a long knock on. On PES 2012 there would be lag or animation lock up so using the double or triple tap was inconsistent or you'd get the knock on 3 touches after you expected it.

tks 4 the reply but now u have me worried.i fear having to play fifa for another year but u dont sound like your very happy with what u played like if pes 13 doesnt have tight crontrols what does it have. they can hype all they like but when this demo comes out if im shooting on goal and i aim right on my analog stick the ball better go right same for every other direction this up or down aiming is so old and it gives ideas konami dont understand the axis things on the crontrollers if thats its name.the shooting system has to be much more tighter smooth if i dare say the shooting needs to be more fifa like u have no idea how many pes guys i met playing fifa this year not because fifa is good the main reason is because the way goals are scored how they look. when u aim to the top right hand corner it goes there same for every other direction the only thing fifa has over pes is the controls are tight and responsive i dont want everyone with the same control on the ball but then i dont want rooney missiing sitters all the time shooting is the biggest issue in pes sort this and i know all the fans and sum fifa boys will be playing pes again.people can say what they like but all my mates used to play pes now they play fifa and im talking poeple who showed me pes years ago is this because in fifa 12 the ball does what its told

Thanks for the feedback, romagnoli.

I'm not too bothered about average players being overly skilled since it's likely correctable through patching/editing and I'd rather they were that than all duds like the previous few games.

The goalkeepers have to be the main concern right now. Glad to hear there were at least some positives in that area.

I just want to ask, did you and the other playtesters stress to Konami the need to have them worked on? I'd hate to hear that Konami left thinking they were fine when they weren't.

I'm not too bothered about average players being overly skilled since it's likely correctable through patching/editing and I'd rather they were that than all duds like the previous few games.

The goalkeepers have to be the main concern right now. Glad to hear there were at least some positives in that area.

I just want to ask, did you and the other playtesters stress to Konami the need to have them worked on? I'd hate to hear that Konami left thinking they were fine when they weren't.

could u imagine if shooting was fixed how bad the keepers would look

are we really talking about keepers still at this stage of the game 2013 come on would fifa be fretting about keepers

shooting is a diffrent ball game its broken fix shooting then fix keepers its no use having a keeper that can save shots that dont come near him

tks 4 the reply but now u have me worried.i fear having to play fifa for another year but u dont sound like your very happy with what u played like if pes 13 doesnt have tight crontrols what does it have.

Not true. I'm happy with PES 2013 being an improvement, and I can see myself playing it a lot longer than I did PES 2012. I might have overplayed the keeper problems - they're certainly better than 2012's, even with the much improved shooting. I'm just saying some of the changes are subtle and 2 hours is nowhere near enough time to judge what's going to be a problem after 9 months of play.

I don't know what you mean about tight controls.

Is running/jogging/walking with the ball improved?
In pes 2012 there was a slight twitch/discontinued animation when running with certain players. Is it solved?
Thanks

Thanks romagnoli
it seems you described a pes 2012.5, with my major complaints from pes 2012 still present at this stage

could you tell me if you feel like teh AI does unrealitic moves like it happened in pes 2012?

i'm talking about boosting opponents skills and transforming average players into top players? Many times in pes 2012 even a low range team could play like Barcellone if they wanted because AI decided that they had to score. Is that still in?

what about response to the loos balls?
also response after wrong pass does your defender still react too slow ?
thanks

@Rom

Can you confirm much freedom in controlling players direction/pace especially the ball recipients (from long, through ball, etc) at least compared to 2012 edition ?

John Murphy interview with Eurogamer

Opinion has turned against PES in a way that's been helped along that isn't necessarily born out by the quality of the product recently. There was a period of dissatisfaction with the product with good reason - several years - where we didn't know where we were going. But recently the quality of the product has come back, and I don't think we've been given proper respect for that because so many have bought into the idea that FIFA is better, just in the same way people bought into the idea PES was much better than FIFA in years gone by, and it took a while for them to get out of that situation because it was so ingrained. We're now seeing the opposite's true. There's an automatic assumption now that FIFA is just better.

Regarding licenses...
So, for example, with the Premier League, we've opened up negotiations with them in the past and we've got quite close to what we thought was a good offer. It went to EA exclusively. And then after that EA have been dealing directly with the clubs themselves to lock us out of individual club deals as well. So there are several layers we have to be trying to fight through.

Is running/jogging/walking with the ball improved?
In pes 2012 there was a slight twitch/discontinued animation when running with certain players. Is it solved?
Thanks

Animations are far smoother. I think there was a lot of twitchiness last year because Konami sacrificed animation completion for greater responsiveness. There was also that weird thing with players who were jogging slowly, where they stuttered like crazy. I didn't see any of that.

There are a lot of nice new animations - a casual sideways pass with the outside of the foot from a standing position; some nicer pass-and-run animations where the player would lean into the pass to get his momentum going (not sure if this was just Player ID for whoever it was I used, but it's worth bearing in mind that some Player ID moves are shared); the deft control dribbling is the new home of the dragback-and-move, so you don't need to press L2+back on the right stick, it's more like FIFA's which is more intuitive... I'm not an animation fetishist at all, but I could see that this early build of 2013 is already ahead of 2012 retail.

Not sure what I make of the scoop shot feint btw. It's a lot slower than FIFA's, which looks more realistic to me. But the fundamentals do look nice, and the more technical players do have some lovely yet subtle passing animations

Thanks romagnoli
it seems you described a pes 2012.5, with my major complaints from pes 2012 still present at this stage

could you tell me if you feel like teh AI does unrealitic moves like it happened in pes 2012?

i'm talking about boosting opponents skills and transforming average players into top players? Many times in pes 2012 even a low range team could play like Barcellone if they wanted because AI decided that they had to score. Is that still in?
No way I could tell from what little time I had with the single player. I'm pretty sure 'boosting' was mentioned to Konami as feedback from 2012. But it's way too soon to be able to tell whether stats are being boosted, particularly when I'm not at a point where I can comfortably make the most of the game as it is. The game is clearly building from 2012, trying to rectify the mistakes in that game - but at the same time it is designed so that you have to get to grips with the changes to dribbling/ball control/shooting/defending.

what about response to the loos balls?
also response after wrong pass does your defender still react too slow ?
thanks
You have to be more proactive in chasing loose balls. In the first game I kept getting caught out, expecting my player to sprint for the ball. So I'd slack off, expecting the game to take over. But then I'd realise my player was just jogging toward the ball, and I had to press sprint if I didn't want to leave the attacker clean through.

I didn't feel like defenders were just leaving the ball either, not like PES 2011 (which was particularly bad for this). I was using much better defenders than I'm used to though, so I can't guarantee that it's 100% improved.

@Rom

Can you confirm much freedom in controlling players direction/pace especially the ball recipients (from long, through ball, etc) at least compared to 2012 edition ?

Compared to 2012 I thought so. I tend to use supercancel without realising it because I'm so used to PES, but I know when I feel like I'm having to overwork super cancel - and I didn't feel like that at all.

That doesn't mean it's completely free - it's not like you've got super cancel taped down all game, and there were a couple of times when I felt like the pace was being reduced when a pass was not quite fast enough. But it felt like an improvement on 2012. Closer to PES than FIFA, I'd say, but still better. The fact you have to sprint to catch loose balls adds to the sense that you are participating all the time, rather than only playing once a player (yours or theirs) actually reaches the ball.

The first part is so true. The same people who initially refused to play FIFA 09 when PES was in its shite stage, are the same ones who'll not give PES a second glance now. It's a herd mentality, I suspect most of them only really played PES in its golden era because that was the general consensus rather then their own personal preference.

Ok.. thx Rom, glad they are making an improvement about this. At least i have a choice to sprint or not while controlling receiving player. Still gonna use supercancel as needed as PES trademark i guess :P

Last edited:

has there ever been any slight hint at the possibility of including the bundesliga? even as a fake league?

other games do it all the time, i still can't get behind why konami are shitting their pants regarding this issue.

Their not allowed to include the fake Bundesliga any more, if I remember correctly, it first happened with PES5 or 6 and it's got something to do with EA.

Their not allowed to include the fake Bundesliga any more, if I remember correctly, it first happened with PES5 or 6 and it's got something to do with EA.

That's why i do hope Konami makes greater effort in the future (next gen) to embed advanced editing capabilty in the supposed new engine from the get go.

Ability to add :
1. League, 1st/2nd division and how many teams to participate.
2. Advanced template to add faces and kits

At least for offline master league purpose and it is going to gather a lot of community activities again.

@Rom

Can you compare quality of animations between Pes 2013 and FIFA 12? It's still not at the same level? It's still big difference? or is close?

Still a big difference. That's not a surprise though, surely nobody was expecting PES's tech to magically become a FIFA beater. But there are definitely still moments that you'll want to watch again in the replays. Animations on FIFA's level will have to wait for the Fox engine or so.

Last edited:

has there ever been any slight hint at the possibility of including the bundesliga? even as a fake league?

other games do it all the time, i still can't get behind why konami are shitting their pants regarding this issue.

Unfortunately ... EA got another multi-year exclusive deal with DFL, until 30.6.2015
http://www.bundesliga.de/de/medien/presse/index.php?f=0000177078.php

About shitting their pants when it comes to include fake Bundelsiga ... IIRC, Konami was sued for fake Bundesliga in PES 5. I guess they're not playing with fire any more.

Unfortunately ... EA got another multi-year exclusive deal with DFL, until 30.6.2015

About shitting their pants when it comes to include fake Bundelsiga ... IIRC, Konami was sued for fake Bundesliga in PES 5. I guess they're not playing with fire any more.

Yes fake Bundesliga were in Pes 5 and KONAMI had big problems. No chance with Bundesliga in Pes right now.

@ rom
what about collision detection system ????? is it better then pes2012

i'm wondering why other games are getting through with it.

football manager - the one by sega - all german leagues.

it's not like ea doesn't have a managing game of their own that includes licensed bundesliga.

it just seems strange to me. also - all of the ios / android football games include fake german teams - yet again ea also has fifa running on those plattforms...:CONFUSE:

it seems to me that if you disguise the teams properly their is NOTHING ea can do about it - but something in the japanese mentality says "no" and so they leave that part out...

@romagnoli: Thanks for you insight, has been a very interesting read.

I don't suppose there is an option to cross the ball manually without an extra button press, I can't get to grips with the current manual crossing but I am unsure if this is a problem that bothers too many players in general - I think we should just be able to tick an option in the settings, crossing - manual/assisted. If this is a thing that bothers other players it would be great to get some feedback to Konami on it.

Also - the cameras - THEY NEED TO MAKE ADJUSTABLE CAMERAS! This should be very high on all feedback lists. Come on Konami it can't be all that hard, surely!

Regarding licenses...

i dont think this is true to think he would say such things are mad is he saying pes was not good in the old days and peple were just following the herd

when in fact pes has been bad the last few years i played 2011 and liked it it was my only football game that year and i could dig up loads of other pes titles in my house but what does that change

i love pes and play it most years but it dont stop me from peeking over the hedge and seeing someone has a better barbecue

ive had no problems with goalkeepers in fact i see no problems with pes at all except one sry 2 things the shooting and balance are messed up

i hate fifa and everything it stands for but the freedom in shooting is amazing which u cant deny

pes needs its shooting to be fixed u cant expect people to play a game that has a fundamental flaw with its shooting

think of it like this lets say your playing a fps u see someone to your left so like always u aim left shoot but then the bullet goes right or anywere that u havent aimed this is pes shooting

i'm wondering why other games are getting through with it.

football manager - the one by sega - all german leagues.

it's not like ea doesn't have a managing game of their own that includes licensed bundesliga.

it just seems strange to me. also - all of the ios / android football games include fake german teams - yet again ea also has fifa running on those plattforms...:CONFUSE:

it seems to me that if you disguise the teams properly their is NOTHING ea can do about it - but something in the japanese mentality says "no" and so they leave that part out...

My understanding of German language is limited, but on the page I gave you before, you can see that DFL has 'partitioned' licensing rights into 'packages' - and of course, the most lucrative package (shall we call it 'proper footie video game' package?) went to EA exclusively. Again. Browser/mobile game packages aren't exclusive. That's how I understood it.

Maybe somebody with better understanding of German language could provide better translation, but that's roughly it.

(...)

pes needs its shooting to be fixed u cant expect people to play a game that has a fundamental flaw with its shooting

think of it like this lets say your playing a fps u see someone to your left so like always u aim left shoot but then the bullet goes right or anywere that u havent aimed this is pes shooting

Hi, sorry but I can't agree with this. There is no player in the world (but Messi, probably) that can always shoot where he wants, even C. Ronaldo missed two one on one last night. IMO you can't compare football with FPS, as on those, is a machine who shoots not a person itself like in football. I have no big problems with shooting other than those rares volleys wich travel like a cannonball or the cheap goals with freekicks and "C.Ronaldo like power shoots"

Hi, sorry but I can't agree with this. There is no player in the world (but Messi, probably) that can always shoot where he wants, even C. Ronaldo missed two one on one last night. IMO you can't compare football with FPS, as on those, is a machine who shoots not a person itself like in football. I have no big problems with shooting other than those rares volleys wich travel like a cannonball or the cheap goals with freekicks and "C.Ronaldo like power shoots"

i think your missing the point the reason people are not playing pes these days is because its so inconsistent

i will say ill be buying pes 13 this year having played pes 12 with all the patches etc its a very good game so im very excited about this game but i have to say my gripe and many others gripe with the game was shooting so much so many stoped playing it

i think pes 13 will be a master piece they have enough time to get everything right and they will i know the king is cming back so i will relax MY MONEY IS GOING TO PES THIS YEAR

Back
Top Bottom