PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

It works fine for me, are you getting enough power in the bar?

It works for me only when standing still, but when I'm jogging or running and then there is the ball loose or a pass coming on and I try to make a one-touch-throughball it doesn't work.

I will try some variations in training and see where the problem is.

One thing i do know is that first time through balls DO NOT Work

I tried powering up the High Through-ball before I received the ball and it works perfectly fine. You just need to be one step ahead if you like. You can power the bar as the ball approaches which gives it the long first-time High Through-ball.

I tried powering up the High Through-ball before I received the ball and it works perfectly fine. You just need to be one step ahead if you like. You can power the bar as the ball approaches which gives it the long first-time High Through-ball.

It works indeed, tried the various variations in free training and most of the time the one-touch-throughball worked.

Have you always wondered why the CPU-AI can make these perfect passes that open up your defence like the red sea?

I did cause for me, my passes are nowhere near as brilliant. The throughball is too automated and imprecise so that the CPU-defense can easily adapt to it.

But during free training I tried out various things and one of them was L2-passing and guess what, here is what the CPU uses in those situations when they up their game. L2-passing is manual passing and this is so much better than normal passing, it's more precise and you can use it to make balls into empty space like the throughball but more varied and much more precise.

L2 also causes your passer to get into a more balanced position before making the pass, that's why it's so precise.

It's brilliant and is for me the same revelation for offense that R2 was for my defense.

This will be so good, revenge can be so sweet.:COOL:

Last edited:
Does anyone still play online with the 360?

Realised ive not given PES 12 a go on Live since ive gotten it!

I can't believe how I could play PES 2012 before without using L2 for passing in the last third of the pitch. All the problems I had before with the game deciding the wrong receiver for the passed ball and not able to play good throughballs are gone.

It opens up the attacking-possibilities and makes clever passing football possible, in short it's a blessing.

Yep, I love the L2 High Pass, both long and short. It has real freedom about it, that works well against the CPU. The reason for this is that the pass isn't fixed to a particular destination as such, and because of that, the CPU reacts in a more natural manner. For example, it isn't inch-perfect with the reading of the pass, which is very noticable for me.

Last edited:
Yeah, but it's not compatible with the old Kitserver (I believe Juce is working on a new one), so no patches work with it yet.

The game feels so bare without all the kits and logos.

ok, whats changed then, just reduced the chetaing? changed the shooting a bit?

I didn't know shit about this new patch until ccshop menitoend it

ok, whats changed then, just reduced the chetaing? changed the shooting a bit?

I didn't know shit about this new patch until ccshop menitoend it

Imho it changed the game quite a bit, more midfield play, tighter players who are able to give more touches to the ball, players are more aware, the goalkeeper is a bit more competent and throughball is more dangerous.

And yes, imho less cheating on pro and topplayer-difficulty. Can't say if it is so for superstar as well.

Imho it changed the game quite a bit, more midfield play, tighter players who are able to give more touches to the ball, players are more aware, the goalkeeper is a bit more competent and throughball is more dangerous.

And yes, imho less cheating on pro and topplayer-difficulty. Can't say if it is so for superstar as well.

will give it a try, i think i'm feeling quite in the mood to create tactics fro all euro 2012 teams and some other tactical stuff, i'm way, way too busy with work to do anything substantial until the very end of many, june, then just leave for a while, then come back here and there really.

I insist everyone uses them.

It's a nightmare online everyone just heads straight for Barca or Real. I swear it feels like playing a totally different game as well.

It's always been like that though, the only thing thats put me off it is the assisted passing and Konami's hatchet job on MLO

Still, I don't see how it couldn't be decent against like-minded individuals. I swear it was so much easier to find a fair community on the PC.

I actually feel that Superstar has less cheating than Top Player.

It's always been like that though, the only thing thats put me off it is the assisted passing and Konami's hatchet job on MLO

Still, I don't see how it couldn't be decent against like-minded individuals. I swear it was so much easier to find a fair community on the PC.

I agree with that
But its really great when playing 15 min match against a friend online with the same passing assistance
But I think online is very different from offline.Don't know why but online is more arcady and unrealistic.

Whoever put a few pixelated gardeners as the match intro must be the most stupid programmer on earth, you get better looking visual on a mobile phone.

Aint that the truth, I was playing Dead Space on my S2 the other night and thought to myself this looks better than bloody PES on the 360 :FAIL:

Not bought PES on the phone but what is the odds of it playing and looking better than the PS3/360 version? :EMB:

Last edited:
Yeah, PES 2012 looks awful especially during night-games and even the day-games looked better in PES 2010 and PES 2011. So something is clearly off with the visuals, but gameplay-wise this is the best PES on this gen and more realistic, dynamic and tactically deep than Fifa 12.

If Konami could up the visuals to the level of PES 2010 or better and make the animations of the players more varied and interesting and improve upon the ballphysics and make walking, jogging and running more realistic and more analogue, ie. more varied, it would improve the feeling considerably.

I can't stress enough the importance of L2-passing, this was the last piece of a jigsaw. With it, interesting offensive play is possible in the last third of the pitch, without it the game would decide for you who the receiver of the passed ball is in situations when more than one possible candidate was near the ball... usually this decision was wrong or the trajectory of the ball was chosen badly...

What makes PES2012 looks really bad is the Level Of Detail.I have both PS3 and PC version.Playing on PC with high LOD & no blur and without any graphical enhancements is really great and makes it feels better without those jaggy graphics on the consoles.

They choose low LOD (I guess) to smooth the transitions or engine limitations ?!I don't know.But in PC playing with high LOD and no Blur doesn't affect gameplay.That's the mystery part of the graphics............knowing why they are that bad ?!

How do I stop my GK from storming of his line like a headless chicken?

I've only had the game for a few days but I don't like the way responsiveness stat. In theory its a good idea but I've had many occasions where my player doesn't react to the ball fast enough.

I can accept players not being intelligent but when the ball is right in front of them, I shouldn't have to switch the cursor in order for said player to stop being idle and wake up.

Also I'm yet to come up with the appropriate word to describe the cursor switching, for now I'll use atrocious.

How do I stop my GK from storming of his line like a headless chicken?

I've only had the game for a few days but I don't like the way responsiveness stat. In theory its a good idea but I've had many occasions where my player doesn't react to the ball fast enough.

I can accept players not being intelligent but when the ball is right in front of them, I shouldn't have to switch the cursor in order for said player to stop being idle and wake up.

Also I'm yet to come up with the appropriate word to describe the cursor switching, for now I'll use atrocious.

you cant welcome to pes2012

the latest patch 1.06 has stopped it to a degree as over the past week of playing its not been too bad.
but today i had 5 or 6 games aand all the worst things about pes 2012 were back with a vengence i had to eject the disc i could not play it anymore it was saturday scriptfest!!!

The game is so banal it's untrue. Have the temerity to score against the CPU and straight from the re spot they'll storm up the pitch and score. Execute the hold up ball play correctly (Which Konami introduced) and you'll either concede a free kick for an innocuous challenge or the ball will rebound to a CPU player who'll either score or come close. Allocate your defenders to man mark a forward and they'll stand there and watch as said forward runs through on goal. Speedy wingers will easily be caught by donkey CPU defenders. Etc Etc.

Multiply all this for match after match season after season with no change and you have one of the worst football game experiences you'll ever suffer.

Playing now on superstar, feeling nearly no cheating, just as it was on top-player. The AI is more clinical on superstar but I like that challenge. Have no big problem stopping an attack... using my defense with a combination of R2-timed-stealing of the ball or holding up a bit or just running along with the player preventing a pass or cross or I use sliding (it is very effective and the CPU is being intimidated by it).

Yes, after I made my goal the CPU is intensifying their game to try to equalise as soon as possible but once you hold your own defensively that storm calms down.

The goals that I concede usually happen when my concentration wavers and I let the game a bit loose, on superstar the AI exploits any wavering.

Agree though that there is still a form of catch-up-bug, not as heavy as in PES 2011 but still it's there.

Nonetheless I love the game with patch 1.06... with R2 (and sliding) for defense and L2-passing for the offense it's a great, intense and varied gameexperience. The addiction to play just one more game is in full force.

Playing on gamespeed -2 (it's a tiny tad too fast, but imho clearly the most realistic speed) on xbox360 as manual as possible.

Last edited:
Playing now on superstar, feeling nearly no cheating, just as it was on top-player. The AI is more clinical on superstar but I like that challenge. Have no big problem stopping an attack... using my defense with a combination of R2-timed-stealing of the ball or holding up a bit or just running along with the player preventing a pass or cross or I use sliding (it is very effective and the CPU is being intimidated by it).

Yes, after I made my goal the CPU is intensifying their game to try to equalise as soon as possible but once you hold your own defensively that storm calms down.

The goals that I concede usually happen when my concentration wavers and I let the game a bit loose, on superstar the AI exploits any wavering.

Agree though that there is still a form of catch-up-bug, not as heavy as in PES 2011 but still it's there.

Nonetheless I love the game with patch 1.06... with R2 (and sliding) for defense and L2-passing for the offense it's a great, intense and varied gameexperience. The addiction to play just one more game is in full force.

Playing on gamespeed -2 (it's a tiny tad too fast, but imho clearly the most realistic speed) on xbox360 as manual as possible.

I admire your defence of the game but I still feel the CPU screws you over when it wants to. Take tonight, I conceded 2 goals from blatant CPU offside positions. In fact for one of the goals 3 CPU players were offside! When these things happen you start to lose faith in the game pretty quickly.

Another thing I hate is how the CPU can carve you open with consummate ease. You try to breach the "park the bus" 9 player defence when the ball rebounds or a clearance is made to one of the 2 CPU players upfield. Who then can somehow cause havoc for 4 defenders and a defensive midfielder.

Don't get me wrong I still can get some good games against the CPU but it very few and far between. I would say I have around 4 positive game experiences for every 10 I play, the rest I feel I've being cheated or a victim of a script.

The biggest disappointment for me is the defensive aspect. Konami have seemed to forgone it this year in favour of attacking. I've noticed other teams in my ML like Juventus, AC Milan etc conceding a ridiculous amount of goals over a season which wouldn't be reflected in reality.

I took a lot of pride in the previous games with my defensive capabilities but I can't get to grips with it this year at all. Despite my 2 CB's having a rating of 92 and 93 and my team with a defensive rating of 98 I still concede a lot of goals to mediocre forwards. Maybe that's partly my fault but it's also the fault of scripting and cheating.

I haven't used the sliding button in conjunction with the R2 button mainly because I've being afraid of red and yellow cards but it's definitely something I'll try in the future.

Despite all of my moaning I have to say the game is an immense challenge this year. I've played as Inter for almost 6 seasons in the ML and I've only won the Europa cup in that time. I've only finished in the CL positions in my last 2 seasons and my highest finish is third. Usually by now I'd have a full trophy cabinet and my team would be rated No 1. Instead I have 1 trophy and I'm rated 12th.

A couple of nights ago I hit that brick wall with the game and when I started playing at about 5pm yesterday the same obstacle was there before me. It was only once I checked the skill level I was playing on did I realise I was playing against Top Player. Professional difficulty is great but I was finding myself dominating games to the point the fun was being sucked out of the game overall for me, so I bumped her up to Super Star and the last 7hrs of play have been my finest with the game yet.

I have only conceded about 12 goals in god knows how many games, with four of those coming in a 4-0 hammering away to Penarol in my Copa Libertadores campaign.

I am now carefully setting up all four preset strategies/formations available (making sure man marking duties are assigned in each as they disengage if you don't assign them across all four set-ups) along with attack/defence emphasis usage like never before in any PES game previous (and I have always used them frequently in all my years playing) and the end result is fantastic tactical battles with the AI on Super Star difficulty and 15min games.

Switched player switching to assisted and it helps a ton with defensive duties, the hold-up really works for me now. The defensive system certainly needs improving for PES2013 so as there is more reliability to be had but the theory is pretty sound in my opinion. Hardly conceded any cheat goals to the AI as a result of me really working on defence.

Top Player difficulty is completely borked though. The scripting is through the roof there and even my vastly improved defensive game and strategic approach sees me on the end of heavy defeats. Yeah, Super Star is where it is at for me and if I lose some form or get frustrated I will knock her down to Professional to warm-up if need be.

I admire your defence of the game but I still feel the CPU screws you over when it wants to. Take tonight, I conceded 2 goals from blatant CPU offside positions. In fact for one of the goals 3 CPU players were offside! When these things happen you start to lose faith in the game pretty quickly.

Another thing I hate is how the CPU can carve you open with consummate ease. You try to breach the "park the bus" 9 player defence when the ball rebounds or a clearance is made to one of the 2 CPU players upfield. Who then can somehow cause havoc for 4 defenders and a defensive midfielder.

Don't get me wrong I still can get some good games against the CPU but it very few and far between. I would say I have around 4 positive game experiences for every 10 I play, the rest I feel I've being cheated or a victim of a script.

The biggest disappointment for me is the defensive aspect. Konami have seemed to forgone it this year in favour of attacking. I've noticed other teams in my ML like Juventus, AC Milan etc conceding a ridiculous amount of goals over a season which wouldn't be reflected in reality.

I took a lot of pride in the previous games with my defensive capabilities but I can't get to grips with it this year at all. Despite my 2 CB's having a rating of 92 and 93 and my team with a defensive rating of 98 I still concede a lot of goals to mediocre forwards. Maybe that's partly my fault but it's also the fault of scripting and cheating.

I haven't used the sliding button in conjunction with the R2 button mainly because I've being afraid of red and yellow cards but it's definitely something I'll try in the future.

Despite all of my moaning I have to say the game is an immense challenge this year. I've played as Inter for almost 6 seasons in the ML and I've only won the Europa cup in that time. I've only finished in the CL positions in my last 2 seasons and my highest finish is third. Usually by now I'd have a full trophy cabinet and my team would be rated No 1. Instead I have 1 trophy and I'm rated 12th.

Wow, three players in offside? Now that's cheating of the finest, lol! Fortunately that never happened to me.

Evil, I was just like you a few weeks back, I played the game and fought more against the gamemechanics and supposed cheating than enjoying the game until I realised what I did wrong:

I played it like a videogame instead of a real football match. In reallife I play regularly football in a hobby-team and in real life football there are certain things you don't do but in the game I did it because I didn't really think about what I was doing, being trained to do so by numerous versions of PES- and Fifa-games.

What I did was to use the running-button a lot. In reallife football when you are running towards an attacker, the attacker easily outmaneuvered you because he uses the speed of yourself against you, inertia and momentum does the rest. And when you have the ball and you run with it, while opponent players surround you, you would easily lose the ball (unless you are Messi), because running makes you lose close control of the ball and you become an easy target of those trying to tackle you.

Even though I don't make these mistakes in real football in the game I did it and the experience was awful and frustrating. It took a leap of faith to let go of the old videogame-mechanics that I was so used to and to embrace the fact that in PES 2012 football works like real football.

So what I then did beginning with patch 1.06 was to let completely go of the run-button, to not use it once for a whole match or two and lo and behold the whole gameplay was completely different and way better:

1. The defense works way better without running, because your players keep their balance and can better block passes and shots and better stop dribblers with R2.

2. Dribbling works way better while jogging instead of running, you can shield the ball, gain time, make better passes, your teammembers move better around... it's a whole other game.

3. When in the last third of the pitch, not using the run-button allows your players to better receive passes and to shoot better.

I conceded though two goals in those matches because an opponent got through and I didn't use the run-button to catch up with him, so completely without running would be also wrong. But running should be used very scarcely for specific situations:

a) to catch up to a running attacker. If the attacker is running it's ok if you run, too. But as soon as he stops his running and is jogging again, you should quickly do the same, cause otherwise he will easily skin you.

b) when there is acres of space, you can and should of course run, like in counter-attacks or when not being covered, but as soon as the space is gone again, it's jogging-time again.

c) scarcely running can be used in short bursts to gain that extra-meter while dribbling, but it should be carefully chosen when, where and how.

Together with gamespeed -2, manual, L2-passing in the offense (in combination with R2 for trapping the ball on the receiving end) and R2 for stealing the ball from dribblers, this should provide for interesting, enjoyable gameplay on superstar-difficulty.

P.S.: Some additional tips for defending:

1. When there is a cornerball given to the CPU, the best way to defend against the headers of the CPU is to trust the cursor-switching and automatic movement of your defenders and then to merely press the button for shooting (or highball) at the right moment. The defender will jump and try to get to the ball, disturbing the attackers trying to head the ball.

2. Using compact-level of 9 or lower helps your defense to keep their shape and to help each other out.

3. To not activate the automatic offside-trap, this costed me some goals.

Defending against freekicks is right now my biggest weakness.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom