PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

Yep, I kept trying -1, but always returned quite quickly to Zero. The pace of the passing just felt off, and definitely felt 'wrong'. The game, in my opinion, was built for the default speed. But, like you mention, once you play with a certain speed consistently, it can start to feel right. I just struggle to get passed the bedding-in period and first hurdle, if you like.

Yeah I'm not sure about the ball physics on anything other than zero, to slow the game down the flight of the ball needs to be slowed too, and makes it kind of drift across the turf without so much of the bobble that you get on zero. I'm positive the game was designed for zero speed.

By the way, does anyone have any tips for hitting low shots? Is it a case of tapping the button as lightly and quickly as possible? When bearing down on the keeper, sometimes this works, but other times they still kind of loop a high shot at goal. This is when you're well balanced and steady, running in on goal. Seems kind of random but I'm sure there's something I can do about it.

I'm not really talking about hard low driven shots, more like light finishes closer in when you just want to roll the ball into the corner.

Last edited:
I'm not really talking about hard low driven shots, more like light finishes closer in when you just want to roll the ball into the corner.

I was going to say a very short sharp stab of the shoot button, and try and get the ball out from under your feet, always seems to produce better results with low hard driven shots but as you mentioned above, close range softer ground shots where you almost pass the ball into the net as seen reguarly in real life, i dont believe is possible in PES.
If it does occurr then its purely contextual, not intentional.

I believe there should be a shot modifier button for PES13, such as hold L2 when shooting for a ground shot, and the power gauge will determine the power and velocity of the shot.
for example, holding L2 and tapping shoot would result ina grounded pass-shot as discussed above, but holding L2 and shoot and filling up the bar to max wioiuld result in a low trajectory, driven shot, that went waist height max, depending on the power.

Its very hard IRL to hammer a shot hard and keep it on the ground during the whole flight, disy cutter if you like, so this would be reflected by the model above.
Of course, the accuracy, power, height etc of the shot modifier or not should be over-arced by the individual players stats.

Gerrard Maxing out the power bar during a low shot from 20 yards should equal a low driven daisy cutter, whereas Terry performing the same shot would result in a more waist height slightly less powerful effort.

By the way, does anyone have any tips for hitting low shots? Is it a case of tapping the button as lightly and quickly as possible? When bearing down on the keeper, sometimes this works, but other times they still kind of loop a high shot at goal. This is when you're well balanced and steady, running in on goal. Seems kind of random but I'm sure there's something I can do about it.

Something like this, perhaps
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67481

Zero-assisted or even manual pass/throughpass instead of normal shot?

Of course there are different possibilities.

For example to shoot with the pass-button on zero-assistance or using the manual modifier to have more influence over the direction.

Or to use the highball-button or as suggested by zlac to use the throughball.

It's best to experiment with the various possibilities in training and then to use in real matches when you got accustomed to it.

I'm wondering if using L2 plus shoot would work, I assume it works as a manual shot button too, so there might be a bit more scope for the height of shots there.

Manual shooting and various assistance levels for shooting are promised for PES 2013. I remember Murphy answering some fan questions before PES 2012 was released - he said that PES 2012 won't have shooting mechanics similar to passing mechanics (assistance levels, manual modifier, etc.), but that it should be implemented in 2013 ... lack of time to implement it properly for 2012 or something like that.

I was going to say a very short sharp stab of the shoot button, and try and get the ball out from under your feet, always seems to produce better results with low hard driven shots but as you mentioned above, close range softer ground shots where you almost pass the ball into the net as seen reguarly in real life, i dont believe is possible in PES.
If it does occurr then its purely contextual, not intentional.

I believe there should be a shot modifier button for PES13, such as hold L2 when shooting for a ground shot, and the power gauge will determine the power and velocity of the shot.
for example, holding L2 and tapping shoot would result ina grounded pass-shot as discussed above, but holding L2 and shoot and filling up the bar to max wioiuld result in a low trajectory, driven shot, that went waist height max, depending on the power.

Its very hard IRL to hammer a shot hard and keep it on the ground during the whole flight, disy cutter if you like, so this would be reflected by the model above.
Of course, the accuracy, power, height etc of the shot modifier or not should be over-arced by the individual players stats.

Gerrard Maxing out the power bar during a low shot from 20 yards should equal a low driven daisy cutter, whereas Terry performing the same shot would result in a more waist height slightly less powerful effort.

If 2013 has manual shooting, the ball should go where you aim.
So when you want to aim low in the right corner, you should push the leftstick to the bottom right. Simple and logical.
Well lets hope.

Btw, for low shots I use a hard low throughpass.
You can't really aim these shots, but they are low and hard and keepers don't like them.

I said in an other thread, for me aiming your shots in PES is like playing a racegame with an obstacle course, but you have to push the joystick forward to take a right turn and pull the joystick backwards to take a left turn. Nuts.

Last edited:
There seems to be a bug introduced with the new patch regarding gamespeed on xbox360.

You all know that I play on gamespeed -2 and I found it a step too fast after patch 1.06, but this is different.

The gamespeed seems to change from the last time I switched on the game, sometimes -2 feels like playing on +1. The difference is extreme.

I hope that an additional patch gets made that a) makes gamespeed -2 a step slower and b) makes it consistent and not varying extremely from one playsession to the next.

Wasnt it PES 2011 that used to play at different speeds depending on stadium/day/night etc and also option files used to really disrupt PES 2011...sounds like it's happening all over again.

Yeah, but only the load times. The conspiracy theory which went round WENB that kit option files "ruined the gameplay", "lowered the resolution" or "affected the colour palate" was a load of computer-illiterate tripe.

Yeah, but only the load times. The conspiracy theory which went round WENB that kit option files "ruined the gameplay", "lowered the resolution" or "affected the colour palate" was a load of computer-illiterate tripe.

I'd go along with that. It was simply the load times for me. The kit selection screen for instance would take longer to preview the kits with this file. But once loaded up and on the pitch the gameplay was the same. Any other theories can be filed under 'tosh'.

I'd go along with that. It was simply the load times for me. The kit selection screen for instance would take longer to preview the kits with this file. But once loaded up and on the pitch the gameplay was the same. Any other theories can be filed under 'tosh'.

PES 2011 gameplay was definitely affected by option files.

Oooh, the automatic offside-trap caused me three goals in a single match. Have it off for now.

This game has no pick-up and play-qualities... If the tactics are not good, you won't see the light of day, at least not in professional or higher.

Don't know though how good the automatic coach and his tactical decisions are, I have it always off.

If he is any good though I suggest that he is on per default for the next version of PES, so that people who switch on the game and just want to play quickly, can enjoy a match on pro or higher without having to delve into tactics.

The automatic coach though should be easy to switch off, so that we can do our own stuff.

Err isn't that the point, that it's NOT pick up and play and that you can't flit between FIFA and PES?!?

I want it to be even less pick up and play, but the ultimate goal would be to make the game SO hard that online noobs get creased with their little toy Barce and Real teams, because they can't handle the difficulty in even getting the ball under control or passing the ball with no assists.

The day this happens would be the day I venture back online; and probably beat 'CR7MESSIRLZLOL2000' 5-0 with my shitty Getafe team!

Well ideally it should be pick-up-and-play, no one wants to spend hours learning the game before they can enjoy it. PES should aim for an "easy to learn, hard to master" depth of gameplay.

Well ideally it should be pick-up-and-play, no one wants to spend hours learning the game before they can enjoy it. PES should aim for an "easy to learn, hard to master" depth of gameplay.

Exactly, PES in it's hey day was the easiest pick up and play football game on the planet and fun was had by all. That does not mean PES was not deep as anyone who was a casual that came up against hardcore PES guys like ourselves always got a good going over.

Exactly, PES in it's hey day was the easiest pick up and play football game on the planet and fun was had by all. That does not mean PES was not deep as anyone who was a casual that came up against hardcore PES guys like ourselves always got a good going over.

Yep. I've said this so many times. Unless you are making a simulation game for a niche PC market, a game has to be accessible. That doesn't mean it can't have many layers of depth for those who want to dig deeper.

Easy to learn, hard to master. PES was one of the best examples of this concept back in the day.

Online is really becoming a grind for me again with these fucking Barca bum-boys using pressure button all the time. Any hints on how to deal with this?

Err isn't that the point, that it's NOT pick up and play and that you can't flit between FIFA and PES?!?

I want it to be even less pick up and play, but the ultimate goal would be to make the game SO hard that online noobs get creased with their little toy Barce and Real teams, because they can't handle the difficulty in even getting the ball under control or passing the ball with no assists.

The day this happens would be the day I venture back online; and probably beat 'CR7MESSIRLZLOL2000' 5-0 with my shitty Getafe team!

I love PES 2012 now and its tactical depth and for me they wouldn't need to make it any bit accessible, actually I can't wait for the day it becomes a real simulation with real time stamina/fatigue-system and full 90 min-matches.

But I also know that I and the people who enjoy such a game are a minority and I know a lot of people that are put off by PES 2012 because it needs lots of tactical finetuning to get a team to play efficiently.

For me this tactical tinkering is half the fun, but that's not everybody's cup of tea and if it's the only cup of tea it won't be enough people buying and playing the game.

Konami needs to open the game to the mainstream a bit. That does not mean the game should be watered down or made less tactical depth.

Far from it, I wish the game to become even more tactically deep, but I wish that the teams are per default set up in a somewhat realistic and playable form and that an automatic coach who is programmed intelligent enough is per default on, so that people who aren't into tactic-tinkering can play the game and enjoy it.

As long as he can be easily switched off, so that we can delve into the tactics ourselves, there is nothing lost.

Online is really becoming a grind for me again with these fucking Barca bum-boys using pressure button all the time. Any hints on how to deal with this?

Yeah, waiting for the day a realtime two-tiered stamina/fatigue-system gets introduced in PES.

Why are people using pass buttons to score a 1 v 1 lol. Sorry but press shoot quickly and then R2 for a low placed shot. One of my video compilations recently showed a few placed finishes slow and into the bottom corner.

Tactics definitely can make or break you so it would be nice if more people were posting strategies and tactics like Klashman, now that the game's been out for a while and more people are enjoying it.

Does anyone know how to make a one-touch throughball? Everytime I want to push the ball directly in front of my teamplayer without first controlling the ball, it doesn't work, the ball gets no velocity and crawls along.

To first control the ball means to lose the momentum of the attack.

It's frustrating because I do it all the time in real football.

Does anyone know how to make a one-touch throughball? Everytime I want to push the ball directly in front of my teamplayer without first controlling the ball, it doesn't work, the ball gets no velocity and crawls along.

To first control the ball means to lose the momentum of the attack.

It's frustrating because I do it all the time in real football.

It works fine for me, are you getting enough power in the bar?

Are there quick free kicks in this? I could have sworn they were in 2011 but I don't recall ever getting one in 2012.

Yes it is, however is still really poor in design and execution.. sometimes the quick free kick taker even stand still towards own goal post meanwhile i got a man in free space in front. Player occasionally does not response to pass button :TTTH: .

I would love to see a system where we can adjust their standing position a little bit..

Back
Top Bottom