PES 2011 Discussion thread

You don't get that blue circle when in an actual game. It's only there in training mode to help you understand how it all works. when you're in a match it's kinda like PEs's pens in that you aim without knowing if you've aimed too far etc and then it gets complicated when you have to time pressing shoot with the swinging bar under your players name and also get the power of your shot right.

Yeh i realise but that's still how the circle works in an actual match. It is just invisible. I didn't like how getting the composure in the green meant the target was that big.

Don't like a composure bar full stop.

Well I actually was told that I'll look like an idiot come June when we all get to see the game simply because I hadn't jumped around shouting 'fake fake fake'.

I suspect it's fake just like everyone else... but I was just saying it could just as easily be be real as the reasons people had listed for being fake were pretty flimsy. The guy has been very careful not to upload something or say something that is 100% clearly faked like many of the other have done in the past.

How about putting run onto the trigger buttons!

Why do we need run button, analog stick would be enough, freeing up all shoulder buttons for different purposes.

Left / right foot, manual modifier etc.. and put all the fuckin' tactics on dpad XMB style.. that would make a difference

Why do we need run button, analog stick would be enough, freeing up all shoulder buttons for different purposes.

Left / right foot, manual modifier etc.. and put all the fuckin' tactics on dpad XMB style.. that would make a difference

Full control of running speed using the analog stick could be a bit fiddly. Using the analog R2/RT trigger to control sprint speed could be an interesting idea, though.

I think 2010 World Cups penalties are excellent. As far as the composure bar goes, while I don't think it's ideal I do believe it's an excellent compromise and I think it provides an excellent combination of your skill, the player, situation in the game etc. IMO there is nothing as annoying as having your player miss a penalty without being able to do something about it.

Being annoyed by the blue circle is pretty silly IMO. Pretty much everything in every game has something similar - it's just hidden.

I do believe that there are some room for improvement and polishing, but I also believe that it's the best by far we've have yet. It's fun, realistic and makes the penalties as complex as in real life.

It wasn't the blue bar that annoyed me so much as the fact that the big red circle proved how easy it was to get them top corner.

Honestly if you watch the official video tutorial that comes with the game basically 95% of penalties taken in that video go top corner.

It wasn't the blue bar that annoyed me so much as the fact that the big red circle proved how easy it was to get them top corner.

Honestly if you watch the official video tutorial that comes with the game basically 95% of penalties taken in that video go top corner.

Well, duh, that's because they're using the training mode where you do have that blue thing and none of the other factors that makes it harder. I can promise you that if you ask Beckham to score in the top corner on training he'll do it 9/10 too (in fact I can probably do it 8/10 too and I'm a shitty goalkeeper in the swedish seventh division..), and here you have some assistance. It's a lot harder during games. Penalties are always easy in training. (as a goalkeeper I hate penalties during training practice..it's pointless)

But yeah, sure, if you base all your impression of the system at that video I can understand why you think like you do. Don't judge the book by the cover..it's at tutorial video..

Last edited:

I was thinking about this the other day, but after a bit of thought I came up with the idea of using the running button still but have it like an accelerator in a car game, I would imagine it would make dribbling and running more varied and open.

That's better then, I've not yet had a penalty in a match. Still not sure about the composure bar.

The composure bar speed and green area varies per player and based on the importance of the penalty, so it does use attributes (though I think it should be affected more). As was said previously, you don't get the circle either.

It's miles better than PES's system IMO, though PES's system might be decent if tweaked properly. I remember playing ISS on the PS2 and it had a similar feature to the one in WC2010, except you had to feather the left stick (so not fully press it in a direction) to aim, and both the taker and the keeper had their own circles (boxes, in fact). I'm surprised it took so long for either side to try and take this idea up as it was really involving compared to the standard pens used by PES and FIFA since.

I was thinking about this the other day, but after a bit of thought I came up with the idea of using the running button still but have it like an accelerator in a car game, I would imagine it would make dribbling and running more varied and open.

I don't think the left stick can be used accurately enough for the full transition from stationary to sprinting. It'd be a real mess. FIFA uses it for stationary to jogging, which is fine. Not being able to walk in PES, incidentally, was one of my biggest gripes in flicking between the two games - I really hope they put it into 2011. It does help a hell of a lot when trying to position your players, or get into position without overdoing your momentum.

I also suggested using analog R2 in FIFA 11, so fingers crossed that makes it in ;) The only concern I have with it is that I actually don't think the X360 triggers are as well suited for extensively half-depressing RT - it feels quite uncomfortable when not fully squeezed in.

Last edited:
Well, duh, that's because they're using the training mode where you do have that blue thing and none of the other factors that makes it harder. I can promise you that if you ask Beckham to score in the top corner on training he'll do it 9/10 too (in fact I can probably do it 8/10 too and I'm a shitty goalkeeper in the swedish seventh division..), and here you have some assistance. It's a lot harder during games. Penalties are always easy in training. (as a goalkeeper I hate penalties during training practice..it's pointless)

But yeah, sure, if you base all your impression of the system at that video I can understand why you think like you do. Don't judge the book by the cover..it's at tutorial video..

Well that's a good thing.

I don't like the idea of taking a penalty in a game and knowing exactly where it is going to go each time and how powerful it is going to be, you know when you get so used to taking them. It happened with Fifa 10, i'm going to imagine the learning process in WC10 is harder because it's a more complex system but is that feeling still there once you get more used to taking them?

I'm taking this from a different video i saw. It was one where the guy kept putting it top corner every time. It looked like the the unpredictability factor was just gone (an absolutely massive aspect of penalties).

Last edited:
What do you think the game would be like if say you had 3 different types of running speeds? It seems so commonplace that left stick is jog and the shoulder button is sprint simply because it always has been.

Firstly the left stick was no longer jog, it was walk. Perhaps the harder you pressed it initially the quicker this walk. The slower you pressed it, the slower you moved the ball about. Pure freedom in a sense all in complete control of the ball. It'd certainly allow you to play at several different speeds.

Then ofcourse one of the shoulder buttons would be jog and the other would be sprint.

@prorevo 100% fake about 7 hours ago via TweetDeck in reply to prorevo

Said Jon Murphy in regards to that youtube video.

@gooners16 Commentary will be more natural and live. UK comm team news v soon

He also said that. Live? what could that mean.

FIFA WC penalty system is cool.

It borrows elements from PES and is not as easy as it seems as the composure bar is affected by the match situation. I took a penalty with Messi in a friendly that I was leading 2-0 and it was easy and he was calm. I then took a penalty with him in a qualifier that was 0-0 and his the line was moving fast and the controller vibrating more (something I recommended at least 8 years ago on PESFAN). I must say EA did a good job with that penalty system.

Exactly. I think Northzzz needs some hands on time with it to clear up some of the misconceptions he has about how predictable it might be.

Sorry for being a pain but if we're going to have conversation about the Fifa WC game I'd rather we have it in it's own dedicated thread ;)

If its comparing both PES's and Fifa's then no problems.

It's about the relative merits of both. But still, it'd make more sense to ask what people think of the WC pen system in the WC thread where more people will have tried it out.

@gooners16 Commentary will be more natural and live. UK comm team news v soon

He also said that. Live? what could that mean.

Perhaps he means the commentary is more in-depth and reacts more closely to what is happening on the pitch, sounding 'live' rather than pre-recorded.

Edit: I will commend FWC2010 on it's excellent commentary. I dislike Tyldesley's commentary in real-life but it works in-game, it's so atmospheric and natural sounding.

Last edited:
Always liked Fifa's commentary compared to PES's. I remember playing PES6 with Fifa commentary and it made it much more lively.

Always liked Fifa's commentary compared to PES's. I remember playing PES6 with Fifa commentary and it made it much more lively.

I'm still doing it mate. It's class. The game hasn't aged. It's still beautiful.

Exactly. I think Northzzz needs some hands on time with it to clear up some of the misconceptions he has about how predictable it might be.

I'd still like to give it a go myself but it thankfully looks like i was wrong about how easy it looked.

Sorry Lami, i was originally comparing PES' system with Fifas to suggest whether or not PES 11 should look at employing a similar system.

As long as Mark Lawrenson doesn't pipe in with vocals that have no consistency to that of the game or the other commentator it'll be a step up.

I'm still doing it mate. It's class. The game hasn't aged. It's still beautiful.

I got up in the loft earlier and dusted off the PS2, PES 5 was inside the machine, which is what I wanted but when I lifted up the PS2 PES6 was underneath it. I never really liked 6 that much and never gave it much of a chance before switching back to 5, I decided to give it a go.... AWESOME!!!!

The one thing that really stood out after playing the first game was player individuality, in the past few months I have played PES5, 2008, 2010 and now 6 and I dont think any of the others have such a pronounced difference between players.

Another thing that stood out was how it feels alot less rigid than the latest game, how and why did Konami work towards this awkward stiff feeling in the game?

The close control is also great, I played as Inter vs Barca and with Cambiasso I was able to really control the midfield because he was able to turn his way out of trouble and get into space in tight situations.

There is one thing that is bothering and was what really put me off the game years ago and thats the player that is passed to is cemented to the spot unless you move him, I dont understand this.

If Pes2011 was just this with the latest graphics, all the new animations and 360 movement, passing & shooting it would be very good. I really do not understand how they went from PES6 to 2008, 2009 & a lesser extent 2010 :SHAKE:

John Champion does a great work in PES 2010, I love it when he screams, sounds very natural to me. The other guy is really bad and needs to be dropped unless they can get him to just be himself.

John Champion does a great work in PES 2010, I love it when he screams, sounds very natural to me. The other guy is really bad and needs to be dropped unless they can get him to just be himself.

The problem is, he IS being himself. He has the personality of a plank of wood.

I'd still like to give it a go myself but it thankfully looks like i was wrong about how easy it looked.

Sorry Lami, i was originally comparing PES' system with Fifas to suggest whether or not PES 11 should look at employing a similar system.
No worries :)
As long as Mark Lawrenson doesn't pipe in with vocals that have no consistency to that of the game or the other commentator it'll be a step up.
Lawro =
facepalmdz6.jpg

The problem is, he IS being himself. He has the personality of a plank of wood.

:LOL:

Thought this would be interesting to share. SteveM said the following, at the WENB boards, regarding PES 2011 and the freedom of passes:

I think what Penpas means is that the game looks identifiably like a PES game - i.e. the likenesses are great and the solid feel to the players is present and correct. However, it is all the new animation and 360 movement that makes it feel like a new game. Without giving too much away, you will notice the animation even before the game kicks off, and certainly when spreading the ball about and in the running movements of the various players.

The thing is, PES is a great game, so we need to retain the essence that made people love it, but add the elements that will truly elevate it. For me, though, the defence routines are amongst the most exciting parts. The way they close down is much more intelligent and results in a lot less crowding around the ball, or chasing the ball a la a team of eight-year-olds playing a match!

Oh, and remember how you used to have to get used to a new version of PES and almost relearn certain elements? Well, those days are back. I spent my first matches hitting the ball all over the place, as it no longer automatically passes to the nearest player!

Regards,
Steve

--------------------

Got to be careful as I do not want to blow too much at this point...

* Yes, you can pass the ball anywhere - within reason. If it is physically possible, it can be done! Gone are the days of odd passes from impossible angles.

* Yes, you have total control. You weight the pass and place it where it needs to go. It doesn't over-complicate things by making short passes needlessly fiddly, though.

* It does sound daunting, but soon comes. Basically, I was spraying good balls and triangulating short plays like never before within 30 mins, and continually finding new ways to make use of it. Total freedom of passing makes for a much more balanced game.

* Let's also just say that such is the precision of passing, that players can also receive it on their different feet, which makes moving it on much more logical and realistic.

That's all you're getting!

Let me know if there's a problem with this sort of cross-sharing of information between forums, I'm not really sure on how the rules have been evolving in the past few years. ;)

Cheers,

Paulo Tavares

That sounds magnificent

Almost, too good to be true. If they have actually pulled off what is suggested there then surely the difference between pes 2010 and 2011 is going to be the biggest difference between any two subsequent PES games to date.

shot.jpg

Interesting, I hope the power bar isn't intrusive visually.

Source

Back
Top Bottom