Perhaps Seabass's Greatest Masterpiece ever....?

I personally feel PES5 is the best game they've made. The passing and shooting felt absolutely sublime on it. The editing was perfect, and it looked fairly decent as well. The passes along the ground slide along fine, whereas PES6 passes are so slow and bouncy its pathetic.

Yet I have just played 3, and I love it all over again. WE7/PES3 FTW

WE7i was a good game, but like all WE/PES game, has FLAWS.

I remember this game pretty well. When I owned some slow defender with Shevchenko (even if the defender bit grass with a sliding tackle) after 20 meters he was again at Andriy's side... yeah, pure simulation...

Swap Magic or a Jap PS2.
If you mean importing idk, Ebay maybe?

Remember to get WE7 INTERNATIONAL JAPANESE VERSION.
Because that's the version mentioned, it really is quality.

That is my thoughts on WE7I. Me and Jonestm just finished playing it for 4 hours and NEVER have i enjoyed playing it so much. So many points where to start...

1. Defenders who ACTUALLY DEFEND.
2. Clean crisp passing and movement
3. AI Players who move into space after playing a pass.
4. Sidebacks who have stamina.
5. Sideback who defend.
6. Great fun in picking a side and realising who actually played for them in that era and finding forgotten players.

From tinkering with formations to picking lesser teams and realising there is no ridiculous 30 yard screamers unless very lucky, No players doing 360's after a collision. No players running like mindless atomotoms into the post.

Seabass is it to much to ask you to stick to the basics? Release this version as a new 2008 international but just add the r2 function, Thou you shall no doubt stick to your "i giveth, I taketh" motto.

What are other peopes thought on the best version of the WE/PES series?

Great post. WE7I was the best game ever made. Use this gameplay engine, ad a few new animations and vary the play up a bit, the ususal graphics upgrade, you have football heaven.

PES2008 isn't all that bad in 2 vs 2 or 2 vs CPU as the other peple actually make runs and defend...but man o man does 1vs 1 and 1 vs CPU suck.

Whatever happens to PES, we will always have this game to treasure.
I don't understand what happened to the defensive AI after this game.
Offensively there just seem to be so many valid options as well.
Playing PES2008 earlier, i was reminded of WE7i after a great passing move and a diving header off the bar.
Then i witnessed some unspeakable defending and 'keeping and the memory dissolved.

Get it together Konami ffs.

After reading this thread I decided to dig my old copies out, turns out I did 2 different versions a Champions league and English Prem/Championship version, both burnt to cd!!
Problem is I've deleted the Champions league option file and cant find the Premiership disc!!:( typical.
Still good fun though, wish the keepers would through the ball out but played really well. Cant compare to PES coz since W6FE Ive strictly been Japanese.

found this on amazon

feel ripped off?

Hands up if you love new menus!!!! Turgid "Lift Music"!!! Players names in Capital Letters!!!

Then Pro Evolution 2008 is the game for you!

Essentially Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 on the PS2 is exactly the same as Pro Evolution Soccer 6 on the PS2. The game mechanics are exactly the same, and they were pretty fantastic before, but that doesn't justify Konami slapping a glorified paint job on PES6 and charging £30 for it.

So what do you get for your ca$h:

Gone is the repetetive International Challenge (a.k.a. World Cup Qualifying), replaced by the equally turgid World Tour mode.

Rooney has freckles! But Ronaldinho, Terry and Totti (now ginger?!?) are unconvicing and there seems to have been little effort to widen coverage, with sides like AS Roma (my team, you'll be hearing more about them later)still only boasting a handful of face captured players.

More rubbish teams! That's right now when setting up Master League, instead of leaving out the likes of Kobenhavn, you can now leave out HJK Helsinki, Dinamo Zagreb and more Swedish teams than you can shake an IKEA catalogue at. A cheap attempt by Konami to boost their marketablility in other nations.

Master League now features a pointless "popularity" rating, which luckily reveals the startling news that teams and players who are better than yours are...erm...more popular. Apart from that its the same as it has been for a million years. Seriously to all you cavemen out there, Minanda is still playing behind the front two, and he's still one paced.

Have I mentioned the lift music? There's like a million tracks.

Diving! Shirtpulling! Oh, not in the PS2 version, my bad!

Kits actually look worse than before. Roma's keeper kit is bizarrely inaccurate, not only have Konami gone for the third choice kit, they have got the colour wrong.

Club badges resemble a splodge of paint and the default English kits are offensively lazy, all the kits are the same pattern in different colours. The kit editor uses the exact same patterns as before, so gone are the days when Konami sneaked in official kits by overlapping other designs.

No seriously the lift music. It's got all different genres and everything, and you can pick which ones you listen to while you change every English clubs name for the millionth year in a row. I mean if you don't have a stereo or, y'know, taste.

Different commentators, same phrases repeated over and over.

NEWSFLASH: Apart from a few Werder Bremen players PES Shop is EXACTLY the same. The same Brazil '94 goal celebration, dog heads and penguin costumes.

Take it from a PES Veteran. This game ain't worth a dime, in fact its a insult to the intelligence of consumers and a great advert for FIFA. Unless you're a massive HJK Helsinki fan that is.

Oh and btw...the lift music!!! My mind genuinly boggles at how they found so much spectacularly bad lift music.

WE7 int. jap/Ntsc is one of the best games of that series together with we6FE!!! If you can find the we7int Redux Euro 2004 patch give it a try thats masterpiece of editing!!! like you see ( Play) the Euro Live!

I use this game with the patch( International redux 2.0 final) for 2 player games human vs human and it makes unbelivable fun!!!

But now we have end of 2007 and next gen consoles for HD TV and games like PES2008 are out! there are only hardcoregamers who use this game!
Anyone will play the newest, but the newest is not the best!So.... i give PES 2008 a try on my 360, but its not the fun i have with we7int. or WE6FE! PES 2008 has not the old lovely atmosphere of WE series, it will be a game for the masses, like fifa did!But we cant chabge anything , Konami sells and every newbie now plays PES2008 and find it great, thats fact!
No one believes really that konami will change something, we will see with PES2009 it will be more and more like Fifa and it will get 90% from magazines, with or with no slowdowns, because there is no other "good" Playability like WE/PES!

So Mr Seabass sells more and more copies of his unbalanced and unready shitgame PES2008......PES2009.....PES2010........!

For the uninitiated ...

.. can you guys please tell me stuff I've never been sure about.

Versions like WE7i (Jap/NTSC) are presumably in Japanese? Are the option files you speak of able to fix this?

Also, can you play it on a standard slimline UK PS2 or do you need to chip it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
WE7i has an English text option, apart from the player names.
I don't think the others have.
You'd need a chipped or Jap PS2.

I share the same nostalgia, specially after trying PES2008 on PS2...
Currently, I've been playing WE10 (released almost a year and half ago!) and still enjoy it in my 2019/20 ML with La Coruña. It's a lovely game really, but the best versions (or masterpieces if you will) would be:
- WE7 (I actually patched it myself at that time)
- WE7i (a shame I only played it for like 3 months)
- And WE9 was also class

But please, for those who own next-gen consoles, let´s not forget how poor the first WE/PES games were on the transition to PS2. WE5 was absolute rubbish and made me wanna puke! Meanwhile the new PSX versions were all more of the same (the same thing going on right now with PS2).

My guess is that Konami will make things right after this mess up.

cheers

I remember being on holiday when this came out. I couldn't wait to get home to play it. I was even checking Evo-web from the hotel's internet.

For me those days have gone. I check out the new releases of Winning Eleven / PES when they get released, but I don't put it in my calender anymore.

WE6FE was an amazing game. The first time we saw names on the back of the players shirts. Wow.

I agree that WE7I is the best Konami have offered and I still play it now and again.

Great thread.

I remember the summer 2003 (when WE7 came out) as if it was yesterday. U could log in on Evo-web at 3-4am and still find plenty of people posting suggestions and thoughts. that tells the full story about what remains (WE7 Wendetta patched) the best ever soccer Simulation (S capital letter) for PS

and that was also the TOP achieved by Konami and by this forum. not even in my worst dreams I could have imagined at the time what disasters Konami was going to make in the coming years

thanks for creating this thread. glad to see I'm not alone with my ideas about how a Simulation should be. but we remain a very small minority unfortunately

saw this thread the other day made me go and dig my old games out.
we7i, we8le we9 etc they are all really good.i thought we8le was my favourite tho. but what i will say is what a difference a patched game makes to the games. so glad i discovered this website cause with patchs etc.
they make a good game great.

saw this thread the other day made me go and dig my old games out.
we7i, we8le we9 etc they are all really good.i thought we8le was my favourite tho. but what i will say is what a difference a patched game makes to the games. so glad i discovered this website cause with patchs etc.
they make a good game great.

i've been after a patch for we10 that i've recently bought but all links are dead - don't suppose you have a patch you could rehost? cheers

If you mean the weolymp world cup(germany) Patch, sorry(deleted from harddrive), It was my patch( with great stadiums and hot chiks in menus, but game wasn't so great like the good old WE7int or we6FE!!!

If you mean the weolymp world cup(germany) Patch, sorry(deleted from harddrive), It was my patch( with great stadiums and hot chiks in menus, but game wasn't so great like the good old WE7int or we6FE!!!

thanks for trying mate! these threads are so much better than the bitchy ones you get around "impressions" time - feels like the good old friendly evo-web i joined again............

Back
Top Bottom