Newcastle United thread

I've got to admit im a bit unsure about venables. I'm not sure what he would be able to achieve at the club. But all we can really do is wait until they announce who it is and hope that they can get a few early wins. If we get a loss or a couple of draws we could sink deeper in to trouble. So who ever the manager is i hope to god that they can get us some early wins under us to get us started.

It's not confirmed yet but it's looking like Souness will be the new boss. Have to say I think it's a crazy decision, Greame Souness? The guy has done nothing, he brought a Blackburn team up which a few years earlier were Premiership champions, it's nothing like West Brom, Norwich, Bolton or Birmingham. He's not a bad manager, but IMO he certainly doesn't deserve the chance to manage Newcastle. Obviously they tried Bruce, McLaren and O'Leary and now they're left with at best a fourth choice appointment - who knows who else they approached (Venables, etc)?

If I was a geordie I wouldn't be happy, Newcastle are my favourite English side and I think it's a bad move...

ChrisUK said:
T Butcher fan said:
Nickybaker said:
T Butcher fan said:
Terence Venables - will be announced tomorrow.

How good is this info?

Stone cold certainty. He's at the ground at the moment so it might even be announced today. Bookies have stopped taking bets if that's what you're thinking? ;)

Stone Cold?

Unfortunately Bruce expressed an interest (home town club and all) late on Friday, so Sheperd put Venables on standby. Venables got the huff and withdrew his application. Bruce got cold feet - it would have been his 4th job in about 5 years which doesn't look very good on a manager's CV.

Wow, didnt see that coming.

Robson-----championships in Portugal and Holland and a world cup semi final.

Souness----??? A hatred for "big-time charlies" ?

Bellamy, Dyer, and Robert to be transfer listed by Chrimbo. disgraceful appointment. Shepard has made a colossal mistake in the last 10 days.

I was very suprised when i saw on teletext this morning taht Souness was going to be th new man, but he is a veryn experienced manager and has had relative success, obviously CD is forgetting about all the titles he won with Rangers :roll:

Loz, Celtic weren't even finishing second at that time, the worst time in our club's history. We were minutes from being declared bankrupt, our club was run by a family of wankers - Souness had zero competition during those years.

Look at the Celtic side that did 9 in a row, they won the European Cup, and all were born within a stone's throw of Celtic Park, all were Scottish. That was a once in a lifetime thing. The Rangers team that did 9 in a row had no competition, and achieved nothing outside Scotland. I also can't remember the exact figure, but Walter Smith won a number of titles as Souness' successor, Souness didn't do it all.

Put it this way - take Celtic out of the SPL right now, and that is what Souness had when he was here. He had an abysmal time in Portugal and Italy, won 1 cup in Turkey (despite spending millions), and spent £20m to wreck a great Liverpool team that Kenny Dalglish had built. Like I said, he is not a crap manager, but he has never been and will never be a great manager, and hasn't earned this position. The only reason he's there is because Shepherd is an idiot, who in their right mind sacks a manager without "checking out" the circumstances of possible replacements first?

ClassicD said:
I also can't remember the exact figure, but Walter Smith won a number of titles as Souness' successor, Souness didn't do it all.

Souness won 3 out of the nine in a row. I think it is a desperate appointment. Get ready for signing some Gers in January ;)

24818BP.jpg

:mrgreen:

i think souness is a good appointment for newcastle
atm newcastle seems to be run by the players and souness is known for his hard arsed approach to such mentioned 'big time charlies'
maybe Sir bobby was too nice for his own good and IMO they really should have kept him on...

Liverpool have never really recovered from the mess Souness left the club in. Rumour has it he kicked out all the Irish players as well so bye bye shay given, steven carr and andy o Brien.

I'll say that maybe its not the best manager available but it's better than some foriegn manager or one that hasn't managed a premiership team and struggles with the language. I prefer him to venables aswell. Alot of the other managers were building something with their current club that we approached. So overall it was one of the best we had left to choose from.

Plus he isn't soft with players so hopefully he'll get the dressing room back which robson seemed to lose. I mean robson did a great job and everything but he did appear to have lost some of the players respect and they didn't seem to realise who was in charge.

As long as we get good results i don't really care who is in charge. Hopefully the club doesn't get f**ked up like when Gullit was here. :x That would really annoy me.

According to yesterday's Observer, an unnamed Newcastle player called Bobby Robson a 'senile old c***' to his face. One positive I can see is that Souness clearly won't tolerate that kind of behaviour.

I also don't really see how people like Steve Bruce, Steve McLaren and Terry Venables have 'earned the position' any more than Souness.

foxrocks said:
I also don't really see how people like Steve Bruce, Steve McLaren and Terry Venables have 'earned the position' any more than Souness.

Because they are more successful managers judging by current form in the past two or three seasons. Bar El Tel.

Boro said:
foxrocks said:

Because they are more successful managers judging by current form in the past two or three seasons. Bar El Tel.

i see where u are coming from but i agree more with foxrocks on this one and believe Souness has a right to be named with the managers mentioned
to be fair to Souness he was building a good squad at blackburn untill he had to sell duff and was unlucky with the injury to B. Ferguson last year
he is exactly what blackburn need atm. (but imo they should've stuck with Sir Bobby but that bridge has been crossed now....)

I think the uefa game against the team i cant pronounce was shocking. Not just our play but the way in which some of the players behaviour was. Our players were reacting to them and committing stupid tackles. I mean boywer is he thick or something. And wot the hell is up with nicky butt. Whats the point of even trying to strangle someone. The other team was piss poor and we should have won by 4 goals at least. If we tried a bit we would have the game sorted before we even went to the away leg. There team was disgusting in fouling. The player who fouled jenas should have been sent off. It was a horrible tackle and totally delibarate. They also kicked out against bowyer and the bernard a few minutes later after the ball had already gone. If they other team plays like that when we go to tel aviv we gonna be in troble. Not with winning but with having enough substitutes to bring of injured players. We also got two injures and now i'm worried we could get even more on the away leg.

I don't want bowyer playing in important matches after that horrible display of aggression. Every time there was a player on the other team near him he attacked him. Double footed or anything. He needs to get it into his thick head that players can't do that. Its not a school yard kick around its a professional game.

If we play well i can't see why we can't beat Southamapton. Really i think we should start kluivert and Milner. Kluivert was superb every time he touched the ball in the uefa cup game. Man of the match in my opion and that not just because of his goals which by the way was good. The headed goal was excellent. Milner came on and was also very good. Getting down the wings and even coming through the middle and getting off a shot. Only problem is i don't know who kluivert would replace up front and since he may be tired he will probs be on the bench. But i hope milner starts and i hope bowyer doesn't as punishment for his shocking aggressive displays in europe.

I'd love to get three in a row. Put us back up where we should be if we do. I'm glad we got the away win, which was supposed to be our first away win in the premiership for like 9 months. Also our first win against southampton at st mary's for over 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom