NBA 2K11 - G.O.A.T.

Lost my 2nd game v the Suns on pro level. I was better in defence but just cant seem to take advantage of when I stop them scoring. I could never get in front. Was down by 8 then got within 1 point but then the lead got bigger. Lost by 11 in the end. Love the game though, I really do!!

I got my copy yesterday but didnt have the chance to play yet (couldnt even unpack). I think I will start with the Jordan Challenges, too. Quick question: is it fun to play the challenges with random sliders?

Hi Tobi, the game was playable and was fun, but if someday they really nail the online and adjust the servers so there is less lag, it will be absolutely frigging awesome.

The match was great and the final second was amazing. I scored a 3 pointer at 0.8 to finish, then Tobi scored in the last 0.1 second! So it's 2 3poionters in the same second! Top that!

When you threw, I was pressing SELECT to do an intentional foul. I didn't want you to shoot from 3p and force you to the Free throws (that are almost impossible with lag, as you saw in my players...). But Peja was too far away from you and I couldn't do it. Next time I'll do it, I swear.

By the way, I think Nash is too old to play the new generations. There were times that I thought it was Nash himself causing the lag on the match, he he. :COAT:

I chose the Hornets precisely to see differences between Nash and Paul and was nice to see them. Nash passes so well, but Paul is so quick you couldn't beat him for most of the match.

Stojakovic is a ......, but what about your Hakim? He owned the paint so much! I think I totally dominated the perimeter while you mainly dominated the paint. Youd didn't even miss Amare. It was a very good match anyway, and we'll have to play much more!

@klashman, you can set it up as you want, but the game has a steep learning curve and can be quite unforgiving sometimes, just liek Demon's souls. But the rewards are great. Yesterday, playing with Tobi and even with the lag, we managed to do amazing teamplays and fooling the opponent. Just take the game, learn it and try to improvise plays. You can adjust the style anyway, but it has a million options, I tell you that, so it's not a simple "Play to target man" as it would be in football.

I brought Dragic in early a couple of times because of CP3's quickness, Nash couldn't keep up.

When we acquired Hakim Warrick I didn't know much about him but someone described him as Amare Lite, I can see now why they said that.

Also I probably wont click with this version of PHX until I see them play in the first few games of the regular season, I need to figure out how to play with two play makers.

Can anyone tell me what a flick flick shot actually is? I know what the command for doing them is, but I'm not sure if I'm pulling them off, because I don't exactly know what they are?

Maybe a video showing what it is?

Thx

someone,i need some help!
don`t know why i play NBA 2k11 in win7(all high)very smooth
in xpsp3 very lag

same pc(double OS)
spec
AMD phenom 9550
GTX 260+
4gb ram
Nvidia 258.96

I brought Dragic in early a couple of times because of CP3's quickness, Nash couldn't keep up.

When we acquired Hakim Warrick I didn't know much about him but someone described him as Amare Lite, I can see now why they said that.

Also I probably wont click with this version of PHX until I see them play in the first few games of the regular season, I need to figure out how to play with two play makers.

I tried the knicks today and liked a lot their plays. Stoudamire has very powerful plays there, attracting a lot of attention of defenders, and making a joy of inside-out plays. Having gallinari and felton out makes it fun. I like teams that combine a powerful center and quick perimeter, it suits my style a lot.

Start thinking which team will you manage on our next play, Tobi, and let's see if the servers are more stable and get better (I believe right now there must be millions of people per day, thus making servers unstable now and then, as usual in launch days...).

Finally completed the challenge and beat the Atlanta Hawks. It took me several attempts with lots of frustration. However, in the end, I put them away by 30 points and in the last quarter they got desperate and forced awful shots that banged off the rim. Dominique Wilkins is freaking awesome and very hard to stop.

Now, off to complete the remaining challenges.

Won my 3rd game 88 - 85 Golden State. Was never behind and always felt in control but near the end was missing 3 throws after the delibrate fouls. Got my firts alley ooop and there was great moment where the State were 5 behind in the last minute and currey just nailed an awesome 3 points after finding space. It just looked like it was from TV. Was awesome!! The last NBA game I really played extensivly was NBA2K1 on the Dreamcast. Man it's great to be back.

Hi guys, I've been reading rave reviews about this game. I'm not a fan of basketball but I used to play pick up games when I was young, although I wasn't very good. I don't watch at all, either. I've only ever played one basketball video game (NBA Courtside with Kobe Bryant on the N64) and I absolutely loved it. Would you guys recommend this for me or should I steer clear?

Also how do the PS3 and PC versions compare? And is the a pc demo? I can't seem to find one.

Hi guys, I've been reading rave reviews about this game. I'm not a fan of basketball but I used to play pick up games when I was young, although I wasn't very good. I don't watch at all, either. I've only ever played one basketball video game (NBA Courtside with Kobe Bryant on the N64) and I absolutely loved it. Would you guys recommend this for me or should I steer clear?
Also how do the PS3 and PC versions compare? And is the a pc demo? I can't seem to find one.

You can play on Pro default difficulty and adjust the sliders to ease you back into things.

I tried the knicks today and liked a lot their plays. Stoudamire has very powerful plays there, attracting a lot of attention of defenders, and making a joy of inside-out plays. Having gallinari and felton out makes it fun. I like teams that combine a powerful center and quick perimeter, it suits my style a lot.

Start thinking which team will you manage on our next play, Tobi, and let's see if the servers are more stable and get better (I believe right now there must be millions of people per day, thus making servers unstable now and then, as usual in launch days...).

Last night was very, very smooth and pretty close to the offline experience but the lag on free throws is annoying. Nash was offended by your grandpa comments and answered the call (scoring wise at least).

Next time we play I'm going to use Dallas, I know I can make it work with them plus they have Dirk and the secret weapon - Roddy Beaubois. Also I'm super tempted to go back to my beloved Alternate B...

What team are you playing with liger05?

Is everyone on PS3 still up for an online league and Crew games?

Last edited:
Yes Tobi, it was very smooth, except free throws that are hit & miss. Maybe we should let this to "real world %" in online matches?

Grandpa Nash played much better yesterday. When you get the hang of him, it will be quite dangerous. A shame he doesn't have Amare around, but Hakim still gets me every time. Have to learn how to stop this guy. Excellent experience overall and very fair play, I enjoy it a lot. I had a little more luck in the key moments, though.

Some of the plays we did were top notch, and very realistic. I've been trying teams and I still haven't found "my" team. I need a good center and decent shooters form the perimeter to play how I like. I'll try the Grizzlies.

It's amazing the level of depth of the game. against Tobi I discovered some subtelties in the controls, specially in posting, that make it very smooth to play and give you offesnive power, like the L2+R2 jump to get out of posti and shoot, or some of the isomotion moves that now I can see how to integrate in the general movement. I don't know if changing the control setup would be a good decision, tobi, as I think they have deliberately put this new layout for a reason and once you start to get the basic movements of isomotion I'm sure it will all feel natural. You just need a good ball handler, though.

Moving the ball around the perimeter on a good done play is very rewarding when you find the open man. And you MUST make good work of your stars, as they have a big impact. I tried the Thunders (tobi too) and they have a problem: out of Durant and Westbrook, there's nothing else there. And no power in the paint at all. So if you plan to play with them get in your mind that almost all of your plays will involve isolations with those 2. If you plan a little more teamwork, look out for another team.

Another big thing is going for a play but breaking it just because you see an open man. This tends to cause havoc in your opponent.

Field goals % is very accurate. Tobi and me didn't get above 50% in any department. You have to take benefit of the moment in which your team is high and try to stop the game when you're down.

We had many come backs in the score due to us changing our patterns and moving the bench. I loved that. You have to stay 100% focused and use your brains. And we're getting less turnovers every time as we adjust to what will and what won't work.
Sometimes this makes deffense a case of simply covering the passing lanes during plays forcing your opponent to use a forced last shot situation.

Wow. Overall, I'm amazed at what this game has achieved in terms of pure gameplay. Best sports game I've played to date for sure, and it's only 5 days...

Now it's time to finally find my team and start my association and try teamplay online with whoever is interested.

Last edited:
I've been trying teams and I still haven't found "my" team. I need a good center and decent shooters form the perimeter to play how I like. I'll try the Grizzlies.
I'm also unable to find my team so far, partly because I have no connection to any of them. I played a great exhibition as the 95-96 Sonics, beating the 96-97 Utah Jazz, which was tremendous fun. Kemp dunked on Bryon Russell something nasty, Schrempf was finding mis-matches on Hornacek in the post, and Hawkins and Perkins were knocking them down from range. Damn you to hell, Clayton Bennett! :D (yeah, I watched Sonicsgate this week to catch up on what I missed). I just haven't been 'grabbed' by some of the other teams I've tried, yet.

It's amazing the level of depth of the game. against Tobi I discovered some subtelties in the controls, specially in posting, that make it very smooth to play and give you offesnive power, like the L2+R2 jump to get out of posti and shoot, or some of the isomotion moves that now I can see how to integrate in the general movement.
Sometimes I do that LT/RT jump by accident, when I'm actually trying to back in. I've also been unable to perform the half-spin at all. The spin was tricky at first, doable after some practice, but rotating back for the half-spin I just couldn't manage so far.

Wow. Overall, I'm amazed at what this game has achieved in terms of pure gameplay. Best sports game I've played to date for sure, and it's only 5 days...
I'm seriously impressed in the two days I've had the game, too. Everything feels like it has had some love poured on it, like they've taken the extra effort to ensure that what they implement is actually as good as it reasonably can be.

It was so good being up in the fourth quarter at the United Center as the Bulls and seeing/hearing all the crowd on their feet going absolutely insane. And the highlight reel presentations are... unreal. I drove the lane with Gary Payton and finished with a left-handed layup, and after the game I wanted to see it again, so I just clicked on his signature reel and there it is, from various spectacular camera angles. Even the cameras in this game are impressive, adding to the whole broadcast theme.

How do you guys run plays? Do you use the dpad or the new system?

If you use the new system how do you get it to work? When I want to run plays it takes ages for the new icon to appear, I think I'm doing something wrong...

The problem with auto plays is that the CPU never mixes it up and always calls the same plays for you over and over again.

I'm going to try these sliders tonight.

Last edited:
Sometimes I do that LT/RT jump by accident, when I'm actually trying to back in. I've also been unable to perform the half-spin at all. The spin was tricky at first, doable after some practice, but rotating back for the half-spin I just couldn't manage so far.

I fear my basketball english is not good enough to understand these movements. You mean startiing in a posting position and doing a complete spin around the defender just by stepping, without jumping? How do you do that?

I've managed to get out of posting by jumping/ turning and shooting. That's the most I do with my center as of now.

I have a great connection with the Celtics because I was a huge fan of Larry back in his days. I even had Celtic self-tunned shoes when I played basketball! And I also have a connection with the Lakers (I know it's odd to like both of them) because of Gasol, a player I knew when he was young and watched him play since 16 years old.

But those 2 teams are powerful and I feel like "cheating" if I pick them for my association. Maybe I could pick the Celtics and trade Allen, Pierce and Garnett, as if the franchise had to be reborn again after the current cicle. But still waiting to find the perfect underdog team for the association.

@Tobi: Those sliders look great, I think I ended up using his sliders for 2k10 too, and probably you pointed me to them as well, so thanks! Let us know how they work!

I fear my basketball english is not good enough to understand these movements. You mean startiing in a posting position and doing a complete spin around the defender just by stepping, without jumping? How do you do that?

I've managed to get out of posting by jumping/ turning and shooting. That's the most I do with my center as of now.
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I was talking about two different moves there. The LT/RT thing you mentioned, and then I was talking separately about the normal spin/half-spin isomotion dribble moves.

How do I defend once I've got next to the player I'm marking? I can press circle and he just stands bolt upright and covers his groin, what's the point in that? I know square to to steal, so what else do I do besides jump in the guys face?

It's mainly that I seem to be marking a player, but the CPU will still pass the ball and it'll complete the pass.

Steals are fairly rare in basketball. Don't 'reach in' all the time; "hand down, man down". That basically means once you've reached in to attempt a steal, your one player down from the opposing team and the ball-handler can make an easier decision on the ball. This is where open jump shots/easy cuts to the baseline will happen. Just anticipate his pass/movement, get into passing lanes and try and intercept.

Knowing the players is a huge advantage as you need to know their tendencies to shoot the ball. For example, you don't wanna be jumping to put a hand in the face of a Center on the 3pt line.

The "standing bolt upright and covering groin" action is to 'take charges'. Get in front of a moving opponent as best you can, and as early as possible. This will be an offensive foul if you draw contact and you're in-front of the ball carrier. Fairly useful as a last ditch attempt to save a basket, especially when jumping for a block isn't an option. Just be careful of defensive fouls in the paint; free-shots from the foul line can be the difference in tight games.

STICK WITH IT.

Last edited:
Argh my game didn't arrived Saturday as they promised so tomorrow first thing I'll do its call them and fight with someone :CURSE:

I just tried that L2+R2 at the demo and its very useful, Gasol is a beast on that move, Kobe manage to get a pretty good range too with his jump.
Its a great feeling discovering new ways to break the tight defenses.

As for a team, I think I'm going with Warriors, tho I dislike they new colors and logo, Curry + Ellis + Lee are a great trio, they might be what you're looking for drekkard, but I picked them first :P

I'm returning to video games after a long period of absence I'm dying to know a few things, hows this online option like? Are they league games or just random ones? Can we have 5vs5, no AI would be very interesting.
Oh and is it laggy from Brazil? Or I will be able to play against evo webbers?

Hopefully will arrive tomorrow.

You're losing precious hours of fun with the best sports game ever sauce. :P

I'm a noob but ok, I'm starting to learn some moves and have already made a few beauty plays. I've played with the Lakers (best team if you are learning how to play), Bulls, Cavs (my fav team) and Knicks (2nd fav). It's getting hard to beat the CPU on Pro level, always lost by 10 points, definitely I'm a crappy player. :(

Someone knows how to convert 2k11 videos into media player format or whatever? Thanks.

Do you have a video downloader in your browser?

I use FireFox and have Ant Downloader, when you play the video on the 2K site you can download it once it has 'finished'.

How do I defend once I've got next to the player I'm marking? I can press circle and he just stands bolt upright and covers his groin, what's the point in that? I know square to to steal, so what else do I do besides jump in the guys face?

It's mainly that I seem to be marking a player, but the CPU will still pass the ball and it'll complete the pass.

Besides what Stuart told you, notice that the main deffensive thing to do is to "shadow" your opponent. Don't be obsesses in stealing the ball, that usually leads to bad defense, easy points and fustration.

The key is to make their shots difficult. Don't let them get in the paint, don't let them shoot open, don't let them do plays smooth. If you do this and when they shoot you're at their face they will score some anyway, but at the long term they miss plenty.

:square: is an interesting button to use in different ways than you may think. Press it when someone quicker than you is getting a drive to the rim. Sometimes, if you time it well, you can put a hand when they start the jumping movement and touch the ball, dispossessing them. Or fouling them (which sometimes it's very useful). It's a common thing in reality, actually. Passing interceptions occur rarely BUT REGULARLY if you try to see the passing lanes and move well. But it's hard at the beggining, so I strongly advise you to stick with the game and try simply to get a decent defense. Even if they score, if you made it difficult for them, then that's a good defense.

I played a match yesterday with the grizzlies against the mavericks. Nowitzky was destroying me with easy shots. I tried to double team but that allowed easy jumpers from the rest of the squad. Then I tried to have a loose defense up, to lure him to score from far. But then Nowitzky would simply receive, turn and score! And if I went to him to block the shoot, he would dribble and have a clear path to score, as he was quicker than Randolph or Gasol. He was making shot after shot.

Here comes the greatness of the game. My solution was defending tighter the rest of the Dallas players to prevent them from passing to Dirk, specially Jason Kid, who was getting easy passes to Dirk in the upper post. First, by moving always slightly to where Nowitzky was and blocking the straight passing lane, EVEN if that let an open lane to drive in to Kid. But Kid is not fast anymore and it's not specially awesome from distance, so it's a good gamble. I prefer Kid scoring than Nowitzky.

Then, also I tried to annoy Kid and don't let him do the pass to the post. A very GOOD USE of the "reach in" (:square:) I discovered is to watch out for Nowitzky. When he was going to the spot where he had to receive the pass I would reach in with my PG to Kid. I knew I WOULDN'T get the ball at all. BUT, and here is the key, trying to reach-in most of the time prevents Kid from doing the pass at that moment, thus delaying the play. It's enoug of a delay to allow Randolph to get to Dirk so he doesn't have an easy shot by turning and jumping.

It's great to improvise this things. I ended up winning by 10 (12 minute quarters) at Dallas with my Grizzlies. Nowitzky "only" scored 34 points, but only 10 in the second half. So that is a good example on how to develop your game DURING a single match and improvising things depending on your opponent.

As Da_Czar says in operation sports, don't play videogames, play basketball. :WORSHIP:

PS: Oh, and I definitely liked the Grizzlies, so get those Golden State Warriors in shape because the bear will make them look like John Marston.

Last edited:
What exactly is that L2 + R2 move you guys are talking about?

Pass to your PF or C in the post. He will have his back to the rim. If you hold L2+R2, with the right stick you can make him feint to one side or the other. If you press the right stick long enough, he will finish the posting move with a shot.

Now, if you release the triggers and press them again plus a direction with the left stick, the player "gets out" of the posting position with a jump. And this combined with the right stick makes the good poster players to be beasts in the paint. If you do it with a great player, like Gasol or Garnett or Stoudamire, you'll score some easy points at first. Then they will start to double team. Time to play inside-out passes.

With average player you can still make it, though it's more probable that the defender pushes you and don't let you finish easily. It's great for agile players.

What exactly is that L2 + R2 move you guys are talking about?

Doesn't it just initiate a post up?

I've spent some time editing the Suns playbook, the out of the box one is not good at all and doesn't get the best out of the players. I suggest you guys do the same.

I have bought the game online yesterday and i got the files even the cd key but after the installation it says theres no dvd. What the? And even i dont had the chance to activate the key.

Last edited:
That's weird, you should contact 2K.

They probably didn't have many copies to begin with.

Its £30 online, I paid £40 in store at Gamestation.

Back
Top Bottom