NBA 2K11 - G.O.A.T.

Loved this demo, specially how it makes you play like the real deal, you have no option to pace it up like footie games.
Even me being a noob at consoles and basketball games I manage to pull a realistic gameplay.
Did some of the Kobe moves by pure luck I reckon that.

But I think I know what my first game is going to be.

13051.jpg

trophy looks like it's made of cheese lol

Also, Obama's in Madden as well, yep.

Lebron would really like to taste a litle bit of that cheese... But my custom-made 47 years old Jordan will humilliate him and make him bite the dust.

Everyone against the Heat?
hehe good point

But my custom-made 47 years old Jordan will humilliate him and make him bite the dust.

But you answered yourself there :)) I'm assuming custom and old school will be avaliable online, I not sure cause I don't follow the thread.

Anyways,
I'm also a fan of underdogs, not only teams but players, would love to try to make a balanced team that doesnt go over the salary cap.

Just by quick reading the thread the game looks pretty complete, so I guess my dream will come true.

LaMarcus Aldridge will be great online in the right hands.

Not sure if it's been posted in here yet but the default gameplay setting online this this year will be sim.

That's a great gameplay video! I will surely tone down a little the post shots slider, but overall the game seems absolutely amazing. Call playing seems to work much better than last year, and you can see players fighting a lot ofr position and screens. Very very good video there.

I didn't know you could make feints in deep in the post after you've stepped underneath the basket :( How the efffff.

It looks like he pulled off one of those moves with the shot stick.

Have any of you guys played the NBA Elite demo?

I spent an hour playing it this morning and I would suggest that you don't bother, it's terrible.

I understand now what Mike Wang was referring to when he decided to leave and go back home to 2K.

"New to NBA 2K11 Association Mode: Hall of Fame. The face of your franchise may join MJ in the Hall.

Who's gonna be the first player from your franchise to sit next to MJ in the Hall of Fame?"

13084.jpg

I've downloaded EA's NBA Elite 11 last night. Starts off in the arena/court like Fifa instead with a tutorial. I like the controls there and tbh it feels more realistic than the Fifa game.

I'm not sure if anyone else on here gave it a try, but I would like to know your opinions and compare it with NBA 2K11.

- Some of the controls are good and make sense (lay ups) but for the most part they aren't very good (passing with R2 is weird) and they don't translate very well to the actual 5 on 5 play.
- The player models aren't very good and graphics wise it's not impressive.
- The animations are clunky, kinda like how PES used to be.
- The AI and the shooting mechanic aren't very good.
- The main man in charge is a hockey guy and shouldn't be the lead designer of a basketball game.

Interesting question.

I think there is a spectrum, and I'm not sure what to label each end of that spectrum.

On one side you've got what you guys call sim players, who border on wanting to play a basketball manager game. Nothing wrong with that so don't take it that way.

The desire is to have a game that has the players recreated as close to real life as possible, so you have a collection of virtual players that you can throw into a simulation and see what happens.

On the other end of the spectrum you have people who want to play basketball as a video game to pretend like they are playing in the NBA. The want complete control of their player, and the ability to get creative and explore the simulation as if it was more of a sandbox. This side of the spectrum often gets labeled arcade, but I don't think that is accurate.

You still want the sandbox to be as accurate to real life as possible, but the freedom and creativity aspect is important.

I think with Elite we are targeting more this second end of the spectrum. We're not all the way on that side as we still try and incorporate aspects from the other side, but we are giving more focus to that side and when two things are in conflict we sided with the control end of the spectrum.

We wanted the game to feel like you were playing basketball and give you the abilities you expect in real life basketball.

So the answer might be yes...but the intention is not to alienate the first group (even though the responses here may indicate that it is a possible outcome).

Time will tell if that market is bigger or not I suppose. We're still trying to cater to both ends of the spectrum, but we put more focus on the second as it had been neglected for a while in basketball games.

The success of NHL and FIFA suggest that people will respond well to that direction, but time will tell.

This forum has a very vocal population who fall into the "sim" side of the spectrum, but I have received may PM's from people who like the direction and may be a little more moderate.

As for Jam, that really wasn't an influencing factor. There are a lot of people who have stopped playing basketball games all together (both Live and 2K) and that group was getting bigger every year.

Adding Jam was meant to give them reason to try basketball one more time, and the nostalgic appeal of Jam was meant to accomplish that.

We wouldn't have done it if we weren't confident that people would stick around after playing the game for a while.

EA's interests here are long term, not short term.

David Littman (Hockey guy)

People say Live 10 was an improved product but EA decided to start all over again instead of further improving what they achieved with Live 10.

Last edited:
Starting Five Player Ratings

2K11roster3.jpg

2K11roster2.jpg

2K11roster1.jpg

OS

Some people are getting worked up by the ratings, to be fair I did the same last year until I played the game.

I'll get the Thunders this year, but I'll need a new center, judging by that table... What teams are you planning to manage in the Association mode when you get the game? Tobi, you're giving Nash his deserved ring again?

Thanks Tobi. I did like the tutorial. Is there a similar thing on 2K?

In the full game yes, it may be layed out like the Elite demo but its there, trial and error.

I'll get the Thunders this year, but I'll need a new center, judging by that table... What teams are you planning to manage in the Association mode when you get the game? Tobi, you're giving Nash his deserved ring again?

That's the plan, he'll then take it home to NY (he lives there during the off season) and sit court side at MSG and flash his virtual ring at Amare as he does pick n rolls with Raymond Felton.

I don't hate Amare, I'm just disappointed that he wouldn't compromise, he isn't worthy of a max contract.

I'm going with Heat just so I can trade those 3 for underrated 5. :TTTH:

But really, I like Bulls, tho I have no preference for any franchise.

My thing on these fantasy career is signing underrated players, make a realistic balanced squad without making dream teams.

How are the trades/tranfer at this game? My dream is possible?

Edit: Oh! Arenas is back?!?

In Association if you put those guys on the trading block then I'd imagine that the CPU will flood you with offers.

Back
Top Bottom