Manchester City Thread

Good post and I agree with Toure Silva adding to ball retention, Silva im not so sure about. Not overly productive player, not the quickest for a wide-man and very lightweight. We'll have to see how he does but I can see him not settling in well.

Good post and I agree with Toure Silva adding to ball retention, Silva im not so sure about. Not overly productive player, not the quickest for a wide-man and very lightweight. We'll have to see how he does but I can see him not settling in well.

Time will tell. So long as he gets protected by De Jong, Toure and Adebayor, he should be ok. We'll have a very physically imposing team next season, so we should be able to accomodate a small player without it having a negative effect.

Besides, Arsenal have plenty on lightweight midfielders, and they seem to do ok.

Silva will help us keep the ball and that's the important thing. People view Robinho as a flop because he is lightweight, but it's easy to forget that in his first season, he scored 15 goals from the left wing, in a team that finished 10th. Not too shabby. He was unfortunate to fracture his ankle at the start of last season because it meant he never regained fitness until we loaned him. If Silva does as well as Robinho did in his first season i'll be delighted and to be honest i don't see why he can't. He'll be playing with much better players for a start. Robinho had the misfortune of partnering Benjani and Vassell. That's quite a big handicap. :P

Thing is Robinho is still your best player and he doesn't want to play for you.

So what's your starting team now then without defenders?

Code:
      De Jong   Yaya
Johnson            Silva
          Tevez
      Adebayor

Can't see Barry, Bellamy and RSC being happy playing second fiddle, especially if the Dzeko rumours are true as then Adebayor will be out the side too.

Good luck with Yaya, boys. You get the best DMF around. I highly doubt he settles well in your team, but that's because I think all those players have all of them different styles of play and can't see how they gel together. But that is a personal oppinion, and if Mancini succeeds on making them play as a team with a single personality, then it will be a hell of a team.

Thing is Robinho is still your best player and he doesn't want to play for you.

So what's your starting team now then without defenders?

Code:
      De Jong   Yaya
Johnson            Silva
          Tevez
      Adebayor

Can't see Barry, Bellamy and RSC being happy playing second fiddle, especially if the Dzeko rumours are true as then Adebayor will be out the side too.

Plenty of games next season anyway. We need a squad. Milner will be next unfortunately, then Dzeko if Torres or Ibrahimovic don't come off. Bellamy and Crocky Santa Cruz could go. Barry is fat.

Love to know what your basing the Robinho comment on. First of all how is he our best player, and secondly, show me a quote where he says he doesn't want to play for us?

I think Tevez is quite clearly your best player, unfortunately he proved that emphatically last season.

Saying that Robinho is a better player than David Silva and is much better playing of the wing than him. Your squads a bit weird if im honest. You have got really talented players but most of them play the same or similar positions.

David Silva, Robinho* and Tevez all operate best from behind a CF. Then you have 3 holding players in De Jong, Barry and Y.Toure. :SS

*probably won't be their next season anyway.

I think Bellamy will stay and rightly so, from what ive read Silva will be used as a attacking midfielder and Yaya has so much more in him than to play as a holder...

By attacking midfielder you mean behind the front man (which is his best position) but were does that leave Tevez? Outwide?

:LOL: I'd love that, replacing Tevez with Silva would be a big step down. Silva can't play deep, he's got no defensive skills whatsoever.

That's the thing. Potentially. Potentially, there are a lot of players that a lot of clubs sign and have (And City themselves have many) who could be great.

But based on ACTUAL performances which is what determines how good, useful or effective a player is, Robinho hasn't shown much apart from when sporting the Brazil jersey and even then not always at his best. I wasn't impressed with him at Real Madrid either though his final season was better than the previous ones. He's got the same ego as some of the world's greatest players (Robben, Ronaldo, Ribery, etc. ) but not the same ability.

Based on actual performances which is what determines a player's worth and rank and usefulness for me, he would be a rotation player at Man City. Last I recall, he couldn't beat Craig Bellamy for a starting line up position and Craig is not exactly a world-beater. And soon he'll have to compete with a lot more than just Craig Bellamy. He already does as City have gotten stronger since he left and will continue to do so as they bring better and better players with their $$$.

Tevez is clearly a far better player and for me he's not even the only one. Is Robinho better than Given? De Jong? etc. And now Yaya and Silva? Well for me, no because they give a lot more to team and are more effective but of course it's always hard to compare players of different positions/skill-set anyway.

Robinho is talented, no question about that. But he's moody, selfish, inconsistent and has shitty attitude which means more often than not, you see him play only at a fraction level of what he's capable of (Which is why I understand what you mean by potentially and I agree with that but that doesn't mean much does it? ) especially since he's not so young anymore, so it's not like we're talking about some 18-year old talent who will grow up and become mature and professional or get faster/stronger.

Adam Johnson is already a pretty good player and potentially he could be their best too. If anything, someone like him is young and probably WILL get better. Robinho has to worry about not declining in ability just as much if not more than further improving at this age, rate and level of professionalism.

I agreed but I do think ManCity are trying to get a team to win the league ? You can`t expect a team to gel in the same year. They been in the shadows for some time now. Getting beat to 4th was a blow to them, being so close and all.

If anything you build from the ground up and they are trying to put a lethal squad. Tevez learn a lot from WHU to MUTD he is a different player from then. How long will it take the new guys to sort out? Mancity did pretty good 5th and Robinho wasn`t on long enough before he went back to Brazil.Robinho is never going to lead the team imo he`s more of an impact player. Although he had a great WC I`m sure he will credit that to his time at Brazil though.

The likes of Toure, De jong , Barry in the middle is what I call "THE VAULT" . I`m not sure about boteng and silva they might need a whole season before they flourish .I expect good things from them this season.

Silva and Boateng are both very good but I do expect Jerome to have an easier time adapting and anticipate him doing it with a bit of ease and perhaps faster and better than many would expect. David's case can be a bit trickier... We'll find out soon I guess....

If City really do add Dzeko, Milner and anyone else this summer - aren't they going to have to release c. 10-15 players to fit in the new 25 man cap?

As amusing as it'll be to see Vieira shipped off less than a year after purchase, it does make me wonder if Gary Cook is really equipped to deal with his new magic purse...

Either way its defiantly exciting times, i still have to pinch myself when i look at a lineup of ours say 5 years ago....

If City really do add Dzeko, Milner and anyone else this summer - aren't they going to have to release c. 10-15 players to fit in the new 25 man cap?

As amusing as it'll be to see Vieira shipped off less than a year after purchase, it does make me wonder if Gary Cook is really equipped to deal with his new magic purse...

Not really mate you can have your squad of 25 plus any number of home trained under 21's

GK
Given, Hart, Gonzalez

CBs
Toure, Kompany, Lescott, Onouha

FBs
Bridge, Richards, Zab, Boateng

CMs
Viera, DeJong, Barry, Toure, M.Johnson

AM/Wingers,
Swp, AJ, Bellamy, Silva, Ireland

Str
Tevez, Ade, Robinho, RSC, Jo, Caciedo

Thats us at the mo with probably RSC, Jo, Caceido,Ireland, Robinho, Onouha all going.....plenty of room left!

Ah, thanks Mack - fair enough. Have to agree - squad has come on a bit! Makes me (as a United fan) a bit jealous of spending...though it'll all be fine til you finish above us in the table! (which, let's face it, at some point will have to happen with that kind of investment)

Is Adam Johnson considered as 'home trained'?

Yeah he counts as home trained. The PL rules are that you must have a squad of 25 players of which 8 must be homegrown/trained This means they spent at least 3 years between age 16 and 21 at a club in England or Wales.

In Uefa/Champions League the rules are the same but in addition you must have 4 players that have spent 3 years between age 17 and 21 at the club they are now playing for. So at least 4 must be from the academy...

I think we still need the experience of competing for the title before we could actully win it, so your safe for a couple years yet ;)

That's the thing. Potentially. Potentially, there are a lot of players that a lot of clubs sign and have (And City themselves have many) who could be great.

But based on ACTUAL performances which is what determines how good, useful or effective a player is, Robinho hasn't shown much apart from when sporting the Brazil jersey and even then not always at his best. I wasn't impressed with him at Real Madrid either though his final season was better than the previous ones. He's got the same ego as some of the world's greatest players (Robben, Ronaldo, Ribery, etc. ) but not the same ability.

Based on actual performances which is what determines a player's worth and rank and usefulness for me, he would be a rotation player at Man City. Last I recall, he couldn't beat Craig Bellamy for a starting line up position and Craig is not exactly a world-beater. And soon he'll have to compete with a lot more than just Craig Bellamy. He already does as City have gotten stronger since he left and will continue to do so as they bring better and better players with their $$$.

Tevez is clearly a far better player and for me he's not even the only one. Is Robinho better than Given? De Jong? etc. And now Yaya and Silva? Well for me, no because they give a lot more to team and are more effective but of course it's always hard to compare players of different positions/skill-set anyway.

Robinho is talented, no question about that. But he's moody, selfish, inconsistent and has shitty attitude which means more often than not, you see him play only at a fraction level of what he's capable of (Which is why I understand what you mean by potentially and I agree with that but that doesn't mean much does it? ) especially since he's not so young anymore, so it's not like we're talking about some 18-year old talent who will grow up and become mature and professional or get faster/stronger.

Adam Johnson is already a pretty good player and potentially he could be their best too. If anything, someone like him is young and probably WILL get better. Robinho has to worry about not declining in ability just as much if not more than further improving at this age, rate and level of professionalism.

I know what you're saying Sina but I think you're being harsh on Robinho. In his first season at City he was fantastic, their best player easily along with Elano and Steven Ireland. He scored 15 odd goals and was the inspiration behind some of the best football City have played for years (not sure if Mack etc will agree but I thought so). He was the icon of City's new money and lived up to it for the most part. For a first season in England for a Brazilian it was as good as anyone's.

Then last season he was injured for 2 or 3 months which is always a cause of poor form for players added to that the fact that his 2 close friends Jo and Elano had buggered off and left him and the new manager wasn't so keen on him. That's when the loss of form started.

You can see with how he plays for Brazil that when he's happy he is a really great player, but like a lot of Brazilian's (Adriano, Ronaldinho, Fred, even Ronaldo) his attitude, work ethic and temperament can be suspect at times.

Tevez had a good first season scoring a lot of goals but he can't and doesn't take hold of games like Robinho can and did and inpsire the team on his own.

Robinho is more talented but he really needs to kick on this season if he wants to be regarded as a top player, I think he'd flourish at a side like ours or Chelsea's though.

He was excellent in his first season but only at home some of his touches and goals were truly breathtaking, although he still didnt show up in the majority of our away games! All's it took was a big tackle early on and he didnt want to know for the rest of the game.. He is just not cut out for the Premier league

I think the match against Holland showed what Robinho is all about, world class in the first half and when the going got tough in the second he dissapeared completly...

He was excellent in his first season but only at home some of his touches and goals were truly breathtaking, although he still didnt show up in the majority of our away games! All's it took was a big tackle early on and he didnt want to know for the rest of the game.. He is just not cut out for the Premier league

I think the match against Holland showed what Robinho is all about, world class in the first half and when the going got tough in the second he dissapeared completly...

I don't think it's as simple as saying 'he's just not cut out for the Premier League.'

The problem was, away from home, (even last season) we struggled to keep the ball and we struggle to advance up field as a unit with the ball. The problem doesn't happen so much at home because more often than not, teams sit back against us.

Now we've added Silva and Toure i'd like to think our ball retention would be better and as our reputation increases i'd imagine teams will sit back against us even more. This will allow us to play football in the opponents half, and this is where Robinho comes alive. Robinho always got the majority of the stick for when we were so poor away, but in truth, the whole team was often very poor. Robinho needs the team to have a foothold on the game so he can do his damage. You're looking at your central midfielders to do this, and Barry and De Jong aren't that type of player. Away from home last season, we never really looked like we were firmly in control of the game (barring one or two).

It's probably all irrelevant anyway because i reckon he'll be off, but i'd love to see him surrounded by the likes of Silva, Toure, Adebayor, Tevez, Johnson etc.

He's a strange one, seemed to put a lot of effort in his first season when he was surrounded by much lesser quality and the more quality you've added the less interested he got.

I really hope you don't sign Balotelli, he's got so much potential and could become a world beater.

No your right its not as simple as hes not cut out for the premier league but i dont think ball retetion is either, there were plenty of games home and away where we have dominated possession against lesser sides yet Robbie didnt want to know.....

As you said i would love to see him back playing with the likes of Silva tevez el tel but i guess we will never know...

I dont think he suits you guys. I can imagine him being brilliant for Arsenal for some reason though.

Manchester City have made a audatios £45m bid for Raoul Moat. They've no idea who he is, but they've heard that everyones after him ;)

Back
Top Bottom