Madden NFL 11

Re: Madden NFL 2010

I won't play Madden until the gameplay is revised where it is actually fun to play Defense instead of it being a choose-a-play game, and there is an actual reason to try and establish the run. Neither possible until they fix the logic and set-up of the offensive and defensive lines.

Plus, the graphics never end up looking as good ingame. I don't know why but the models, and the textures look so bland and average when you're playing it except for real close-ups. I think it has partially to do with the animations and the overall logic of the AI. When players aren't doing what they should be, it just looks retarded no matter how good the mocap or models are.

I think Madden is actually so poor structured that I can't even tolerate playing it. The receivers act like they have no knowledge of the boundaries. Piss-poor blocking makes the running game completely unrealistic. No concept of opening up gaps, etc. In fact, inside running is pretty much non-existent. It is practically impossible to run up the middle thanks to the blocking and running gameplay, where you'll end up 90% getting stuck on your linemen. But ultimately, this doesn't matter since the tackling animations are made so that you'll end up with at least 2 or 3 yards. Out of whack passing accuracy, where Manning can hit his target 50 yards down while running backwards away from a blitz, only to have the receive it drop it wide open because the shitty animations consist of the receiving only clapping for the ball like a pair of clamps. Not to mention, crazy ass QB pockets. I wish I was an NFL QB now that I know when you're linemen do what they're supposed to 7% of the time, you get 30 seconds in a pocket with a radius of about 25 yards. This is all fine and dandy (except the running and blocking portion) but the defensive aspect of the game is so dull and blatant.

There is no fun or balance. You can just zone blitz constantly and you'll guarantee a sack every 3 plays. But guess what? None of it matters, because you're not causing the blitz. You just pick the damn play, and watch. In fact, the defensive unit might be more effective if you just set the controller down. It is practically impossible to have any impact on the game with your cornerbacks or safeties, even though you are given an obselete set of controls for them. So you end up having to control either the boys on the line or the linebackers. Well plying with these guys is about as fun as cleaning dog shit off the carpet. It is just like watching 10 people run into each other like retards over the span of 3 seconds of pure chaos. Depending on the mood of the Madden Gods, the play will either end in a 25 yard sack or a 67 yard QB draw. But it's okay. The game will make up for it with its next-gen random fumbles and interceptions thanks to a newly developed system designed just to calculate when the perfect fumble or interception will ruin any aspect of fun and order you had left in your gameplan.

Last edited:

I bet the FIFA 10 demo will be out on August 19th in line with its full Gamescom unveiling.

Demo is only on the US marketplace then? Only seeing a preview here.

The game is out on August 14.

Any 360 users played it yet?

If anyone wants either Madden 10 360 demo you can get them off me :)

Could you please sort me out with the other demo, as I only have the Cards v Sheila's one

I know its just a demo, but I still don't feel drawn in like I did with 2K5

You'll need to specify which is which? If you have MSN/ICQ/Skype contact me on that and I'll set you up with an FTP account :)

I'm going to have to look up the rules of this game etc., when I'm playing the demo the CPU is doing everything for me and I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do... Any kind souls want to explain the basics (and if it's right that the CPU is doing everything for me)?

When your running a play or defending the CPU does do a lot of things for you, sometimes its best to change the cursor when appropriate and take them out.

On defence sometimes its best to identify a danger man (on PS3 its L2 + the button above the players head), this makes the defence focus more on shutting down that player. This can backfire though if the CPU doesn't run a play for that danger man. You can also change the cursor so that you yourself can focus on doing a specific job.

When I play with the Cowboys I like to control DeMarcus Ware (OLB) a lot of the time on defense because he is great at losing his marker and putting pressure/sacking the QB.

On offence its important that your aware of the routes that your players will run, this helps you so that you release the ball at the right time. Obviously they'll be times when your QB will be rushed and you have to react accordingly. Whether that means moving out of the pocket or passing it to a different option.

Also before you snap the ball you can flick the stick and the camera will move back and show you the routes that your players will be attempting to run.

Does that make any sense? Not sure if I've explained it well.

Kind of! ;)

So the routes that your player will run are pre-determined by the plays? And you move the ball around using the right stick (no wonder I couldn't do anything, I was trying to find a pass button alá FIFA)?

Thanks for the help by the way, much appreciated.

Yes, the routes are pre determined by each play but you pass the ball by pressing the button above the head of the player that you want to pass to.

Presentation looks great on the demo, very nice graphics and the HT show and the recap shows sound great :D

But 1 min quarters, with the CPU using clock-management and winding down time when it has the ball? That's shitty, EA. Why? Just ... why?

Presentation looks great on the demo, very nice graphics and the HT show and the recap shows sound great :D

But 1 min quarters, with the CPU using clock-management and winding down time when it has the ball? That's shitty, EA. Why? Just ... why?
Because if you pre-order the game (in the US) you get access to a demo with full-length halves.

I hope the same doesn't happen with FIFA...

yes, 2k5 still crushes it

I couldn't agree more. APF 2k8 also crushes this demo at it's early stage. I doubt lazy EA fixed all the problems prior to it going gold. The problems with this demo that me as well as hundreds of others are referring to are the following:

-Unrealistic animations, suction force around players, skating, sliding, players turning on it's axis unrealistically, slow as a turtle game speed, heavy as lead arms on quarterbacks while throwing, unrealistic physics, and over exagerated pile movement and break tackling by running backs. The running back's running and juke moves just don't feel like the rubber is gripping the road, if you know what I mean. The demo just doesn't feel right. Collision detection is very poor with a lot of noticeable ghosting where players go right through other player's bodies to make tackles. Very stupid AI decision making by offensive line man. The ProTak Gimmick is worthless and unrealistic. Player attributes mean nothing as you can see a small back overpower a pile of 6 to 7 players with ease.

The Madden series looks like it's had a tough time making the jump from last Gen Consoles(PS2,Xbox,etc..) to Current Gen consoles as the Pro Evo Series. Things just havent transitioned over smoothly gameplay-wise for these games.

The PS2 versions of Madden are a lot smoother, more responsive and fun gameplay-wise than the Next Gen versions. The same can be said about the PES series as well.

I for one will be renting Madden NFL 2010 for the 360. I still have hopes that most of this issues have been fixed for the final version. I won't hold my breath though.

I hope the same doesn't happen with FIFA...

TBH I hope it does, because the public Fifa demos are always really crap, 2 min halves, amateur skill level, if they do a pre-order special one of 5 min halves, variable skill level that'll be great as it'll be on usenet within an hour of pre-order folks getting it and then we can all use it :)

New animations and fluid commentary had better be on the top of their list for next years game.

There is going to be a patch after release that will add a broadcast camera to the game.

:COOL:

new animations are in, i have the game and its the best football game since 2k5, its way better then the demo... game is awesome

Back
Top Bottom