Lost - The Final Season

Aren't you all getting lost in pointless details?!

The story how I read it is......

Plane Crash and everybody dies.

However they are stuck in limbo, either on the island as survivors or the plane crash didn't happen and they completed their flight and continued their lives (flash forwards). Everything that happens on the island is merely a construction of their own conscience/soul and everything is possible.

MiB and Jacob is a classic battle between god and the devil, heaven and hell with the mother being mother nature/eden whatever. I'm not especially knowledgeble of the bible but you get the jist.

The magnetic energy, i.e. the white light, is a key to closure. It just took them 6 years to figure it out!

Very succesfull show that it has generated so much discussion and theories and a fitting end.

Last edited:
You got it wrong, Tik.

zlRHC.png

The survivors of 815 did actually survive the crash and Christian actually tells Jack that in the church at the end. It was all real, it happened and it was the best and most important time of all of their lives.

I've just realised something. A few episodes back, in the alt, Jack found a scar on his stomach and asked his mother if he'd had his appendix out as he couldn't remember it happening. I'm guessing that's actually the scar from Samuel (MiB) stabbing him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Six years to tell us a "sixth sense" like story :TTTH:

Bloody sad ending though (nearly cried into my cornflakes lol)

This is now twice the americans have gutted me with there endings to a series,Anybody remember quantum leap? this gutted me more than lost's ending :PIG:

I was hoping it was going to end where the island got destroyed and everyone there died,thus leaving everybody safe and well in the alt reality,but no.

Also dont know if anybodys picked up on this already but what was that all about with that ecko bloke and the smuggled heroin in the figurines from the crashed plane,maybe just another of the many red herrings. peace

Wow i just watched it.

epic ending to an epic show. most definetly my favourite show ever made.

In a nutshell the acting and story telling was amazing. Better than a lot of Hollywood movies imho. the quality and emotions that these characters portray was stunning.

i truly enjoyed watching this show for 6 years. it has been a pleasure and i am sad its all ended.

Any ways here are some key answers to some peoples questions:

1. What is the Island? A “cork” that holds back evil from the world.
2. What happens if evil escapes? The world ends.
3. How? Doesn’t matter. It ends. Evil wins. Can’t let that happen.
4. So what was going in with the island while the cork was out? It was being destroyed. The “Evil” was escapee and destroying the world. Starting first with what was closest to it; The Island. Possibly, had the cork not been put back the spread of destruction would have continued until the world was gone all together. So think of it was when the plane took off, they would never find a place to land because everything would be gone.
4. What is “The Light”/”The Source”? Its the source of good and evil. Essentialy it’s life and death incarnate.
5. What happens when you touch “The Source”? Depends on what kind of person you are. Evil from “The Source” incarnate MIB’s body because he was evil and took the form of the smoke monster.
6. Why didn’t Demond die touching the Source? He was immune to large amounts of electromagnetism due to his experience in the hatch.
7. Why didn’t Jack die touching the Source? He sacrificed himself to the Island. The island accepted him as sacrifice for good so he was able to survive the sources attempt to take over him.
8. Who is Jacob? Jacob is the Protector of “The Source”. He has many mysterious powers that are suppose to aid him in his duty.
9. What does that mean exactly? It means its his job is to make sure not only does the Source not escape into the world, but people can not find it either. If they do, they become infected with whatever side of the Source they are more relatable with. It they are good they wouldn’t be after the light to begin so it’s never reacted that way to someone. If they are bad, Evil from the source consumes them.
10. Who is the MIB? The Man In Black, is Jacob’s twin brother.
11. Why is he Evil? Jacob made him touch the Source and evil consumed him.
12. Why does he want to leave the island. His human form wanted to leave, when he was consumed and transformed into the smoke monster his memories are still a part of him. Now he is just a smoke monster but still with the urge to leave the island.
13. Why can’t he leave? Rules set in place by various protectors. These rules are the only constant within the Lost universe. They must be followed.
14. What happens if they aren’t followed? It doesn’t matter. They simply can’t be broken just like the laws of gravity.
15. Why did Flocke (Monster in locke form) want Desmond to open the cork? He thought that it would reset the rules and hed be allowed to leave.
16. Why did Jack want Desmond to open the cork? He thought that it would help him defeat the monster.
17. Who was right/wrong? They were both right and wrong. Flocke was right because it did reset the rules. But wrong because it made him vulnerable. Jack was right because it did help him defeat the monster. But wrong because the open cork was destroying the world.
18. How did the Monster become vulnerable? With the open cork, the Source was escaping. The Source within the MIB left his body to join the escaping source. Making him human again and in the form of whomever he was in that moment; Locke.
19. Why couldn’t the smoke monster fly off the Island? Two reasons; the rules and because he can’t fly over water. Much like hover boards.
20. Why can’t the monster kill candidates? The rules and because Jacob touched them. Leaving part of him inside them. And since the MIB can’t kill Jacob, he can’t kill Jacob’s Candidates.
21. What is a candidate? Jacob’s band of people who he has chosen to replace him. Any one of them can step in take the job.
22. With Jacob dead, why can’t the Smoke Monster leave. Part of Jacob is alive in the remaining candidates.
23. Who are the Others? Inhabitants on the Island.
24. Why do they Others hate the 815ers? Because they threaten their lifestyle. Simple as that. Same reason the Others massacred the Dharma Initiative?
25. Who are the Dharma Initiative? Researchers and Scientists who in the 70‘s studied the island’s different scientific properties.
26. Why does the island have these properties? Defects of the Source.
27. Who is Widmore? Widmore used to be the Leader of the Others.
28. Why does he want the Island so bad? He wants power, people want what they can’t have, and because he wants revenge on Ben for banishing him.
29. Who is Ben? Ben was a leader of the Others. He was once the son of a member of the Dharma Initiative but after turning evil, grew up and led the massacre against them. \
30. Why is Ben evil? He was submerged into the water at the temple. The water saved his life, but made him mostly evil.
31. Why does the water at the temple make people Evil? Effect from the Source.
32. Who built _______? The foot statue, the temple, etc. Doesn’t matter. It’s not important to the story.
33. Who built the Stations? The Dharma initiative. Each station has a different reason for being. Some for study some for other reasons.
34. What is the Swan Hatch? A Dharma Initiative Station built in order to harness and hatch a electromagnet pocket beneath the ground of the island.
35. Why was Desmond in the Hatch? He was shipwrecked on the Island and rescued by a grandfathered Dharma Initiative member who taught him to push the button in the Hatch and then attempted to escape the Island without telling Desmond. Desmond killed him leaving him the sole person to push the botton.
36. What happens when the button isn’t pushed. Electromagnetic energy starts to escape. This also causes an EMP blast.
37. Why did light 815 crash? Desmond failed to push the button just as the plane flew over the island. The EMP caused the crash.
38. What is the donkey wheel? Its a turn table that is linked to the Source of the island. It activates random functions whenever turned. It’s only constant is that it teleports whomever turned it to a desert in Syberia (or wherever).
39. Why did ben turn the Wheel? He thought it would move the Island and help them escape temporarily Widmore and his freighter of bandits.
40. What did it really do? It caused the Island and its current (the people on the island during the wheel turn) to start jumping back and forth through time. This as fatal effect on people causing Charlotte to die.
41. If the Island was jumping through time, why did it dissappear? The island is always moving. Lets say the island was near australia when the wheel was turned. And it jumped to 1980 during its first cycle. And it 1980 the island was near africa. Instantly the island jumped back in time and location to wherever it is in 1980.
42. Why did Locke turn the Wheel? He thought it would take him off the island.
43. What did it do? It took him off the island but also stopped the time jumping and its fatal effect. Leaving the Losties in/wherever the island was after one final flash. 1976 circa.
44. Why did the Oceanic 6 have to return to the island? Ben didn’t know him turning the wheel fixed the time flashes. He thought he needed to bring everyone back in order to fix it. He told them they needed to come back.
45. Why did 5 of the Oceanic 6 come back to the Island? They each had different reason. Jack; thought he had to save the island. Kate; to find Claire. Sun; to find Jin. Hurley; felt guilty about lying and leaving everyone behind. Sayiid; was dragged back by Illana under orders from Jacob.
46. Why couldn’t they go back individually? Simple, the Island wouldn’t allow it. Everyoen needed to come back. Needed to come back together. Much like a security alarm code. The circumastances needed to be right. Hence why Hurley had a guitar and why Locke and Ben came back.
47. Why didn’t Aaron need to come back? Simple, it wasn’t his destiny. The Island simply didn’t need or want him.
48. What is the important of Walt and why is he special? He’s not. He was probably once a candidate but thats about it. Forget about him.
49. What happened when the bomb went off? Nothing. It released the pocket of Electromagnetic Force and the Dharma Initiative built the Hatch in oder to house it. There was no alternate time line created because that is what happened. The Losties where always part of the reason the hatch was built. Like the words in a book, things are the way the are and there is nothing that can be done to change the past or future. The only thing it did was expose them to the Electromagnetic Force and send them back to present time where they belong.
50. What are the side flashes? Purgatory. Everyone in the side flashes are either people stuck in between life and after life because they have not accepted their death or life OR are imaginary people made up by the people in purgatory that they interact with. This means Jack’s son, is a made up image created by the purgatory Jack and Juliette.
51. Why are things in the side flashes the way they are, (like jack having a son, Hurley being successful, and the island being sunk) ? Because the minds of the purgatory people made it that way. Essentially, the world they created with purgatory is their perfect world.
52. Why were people in the Church at the end and what happened to them? Everyone in the Church were the purgatory incarnations of those whose lives revolved around the Island or people on the Island. The island was the most important part of their lives and now that they are dead they had never had closure with with the Island. They had to come together to remember and cope with what happened on the Island in order to move on. They all moved on to the afterlife, whatever you think that means.
53. Why wasn’t Ben in the Church? He wasn’t Ready to move on.
54. Why wasn’t Ana Lucia in the Church? She wasn’t ready to move on maybe her life didn’t revolve around the island it wasn’t what she needed to cope with in purgatory.
55. Why wasn’t Walt in the Church? His life didn’t revolve around the Island. Maybe his purgatory is him accepting the death of his parents. Or maybe he never went to purgatory.
56. If Sawyer, Desmond, Hurley, etc are alive at the end of the show. Why are they in the side flashes? Because they died eventually. The side flashes aren’t happening at the same time as real life. Think of it as a GIGANTIC flash forward taking place after everyone involved has died. So far into the future that even Hurley and and Ben are dead.

Good post that summed up why this show was excellent:

"We only know what the people on the Island know. We only know what we experience, and what the people around us experience.

There was no omnipotent narrator on the show, there isn't one in life. What they don't know, we don't know, what Jack doesn't know, we don't know and it's ok. Some things don't need an answer. We make our own destiny, our own kind of music.

Everybody needed the Island to help them find their own purpose, become who they were meant to be.

Claire wasn't ready to be a mother - the Island kept her until she was. Kate wasn't ready to settle down - until she was. Jin and Sun were denying how important they were to each other until they finally understood it. Hurley needed to know he was good and not bad or cursed, that nothing informed his life not even a random set of numbers. Sayid needed to prove to himself he was a good person, Ben and Sawyer needed to do this too. Jack needed to fix himself by fixing everyone else.

In the end the difference between the candidates and say Michael is that they found redemption on the Island, Michael didn't. He murdered someone for non defensive reasons, he remained flawed and that's why he remained on the Island.

This was always Jack's story. He was a Shephard, literally and metaphorically.

Yes the Christian allegory was strong, but I think there was enough to show that religion is not always the only qualifier for faith and that you can be destined for something and still have free will.

Walt and Desmond, they were special. They had their constants, they KNEW themselves and so were in charge of their own destinies. They couldn't find redemption on the island because they didn't need to be redeemed.

The candidates found redemption through free will. They chose their actions and sacrificed for each other. That was the difference between them and say, Ben. That's why Ben never spoke to Jacob, that's why Ben wasn't with them at the end, he was yet to make the sacrifice that would redeem him (though it could also be that he was yet to die), namely to be a father figure to Alex as she grows up in sideways world. Only once he's done that, once he's satisfied her future is secure, will Ben be able to let go. He needed affirmation, and looked for it from the Island but it was the people he thought were a threat to him initially that ended up saving him so to speak.

They were meant to be on the island because the island showed them their power, and everything they did from then on was based on free will.

It wasn't sci-fi, it was a good ol' fashioned character study, greek tragedy, whatever. To have focused on the mysteries is to have missed out on what the show was always about: the journey and experiences of this group of people.

The end was perfect. Think about it.

"The end was perfect. Think about it."

We shouldn't have to think about it like this, and the show shouldn't need countless fans defending it with all their might. The show was never about the group of people and no more. I believe it's even on the series 1 box set in the extras where they say they wrote a brief script based on the characters trying to survive... read it back and thought 'no we need something else... what if the island could be a character... what if the island was much much more'.

Now suddenly it's the opposite that's true? The island was NEVER important? Despite most of Lost's stories being built around the island and it's mysteries

Bull-fucking-shit. Why on earth are all these people trying to defend the ending and to add further insult to injury throw in the 'oh you don't get it? well luckily you have me here who does because I'm smarter than you!' style comments. Maybe it's elitism because so many people are scratching their heads at the end and they're trying to act like they're part of the lost elite crowd because they do get it.

Yes the ending was good because people found happiness and that's what we wanted for them for so long... but please don't be a fool and ignore everything else the show had over the years for no reason at all.

Last edited:
The end was perfect. Think about it.

We shouldn't have to think about it like this, and the show shouldn't need countless fans defending it with all their might.

yea it was a perfect ending imho. this show wasnt about walts ability or who the dharma initiative are. it was about the characters itself and their journey in the island.

top top acting by all of them

Just watched the finale. This is my opinion on it:

Firstly, I loved how literal Jacob was about the cork and the island:LOL:

The church place is where they have all gathered after finding meaning and happiness in their lives that exists outside 'life'. I think the island all happened... and as Christian said, that church wasn't necessarily the 'now', it could just be in the future after all of them had died or passed away for whatever reason. They are also the ones who 'let go' in the sense that there was more to their lives than just a purpose; it was also their relationships to one another. Therefore its NOT purgatory, like the writers said straight after season 1. Everyone needed fixing, so thats why they had each other. Jack was more important because he fixes everyone by sacrificing himself to protect everyone. The reason desmond freaks after pulling the plug is because he expected to go straight to that happy place they created, but he can't since the island is all real and not the opposite of the flash sideway. Everything happens for a reason, with most being justified by mib and Jacob.

The reason Ben didn't go in was because he could never let go and was selfish, so he was only allowed to the outside as he was the number 2. No Ecko, Ana Lucia, Walt or Michael either because they never reached that point of happiness or they never really had any meaning. I also think we can link this to the fact that those who were killed by or helped the black smoke were not allowed into the church.... thats why we don't see people like Richard, Ben, Ecko or Michael inside.

I also believe that the whole 6 seasons was all part of the battle between the selfish MiB and the selfless Jacob, who are supposed to represent humanity. This also raises the question of Jacob's candidates. The fact that those who turned up at the church were all the candidates might link to the fact that they were chosen because they had people caring for them, and that their lives were all supposed to cross. If it was someone that had something to do with MiB, it would've been meaningless and selfish.

I got this off some guy's post:
“I tried that once. There are no shortcuts, no do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.”
- Jack to Desmond

I think this ending is very open to interpretation, but one interesting point I read was that Walt's importance to the island is that he brought Vincent, who accompanied Jack at the beginning and the end.

Last edited:
Good explenations to the whole show:

It seems like a lot of people are confused about the ending, I was not, assuming I am correct about it, here is an easy explanation.

Season 1 - They all crashed. All the characters we knew and loved the last 6 years DID NOT DIE HERE! I repeat, they did not die here.

Season 2 - Stuff happened

Season 3 - Stuff happened

Season 4 - Stuff happened

Season 5 - Stuff happened

Amongst this stuff, lots of people died!

Season 6 - Let's ignore the alt. universe.

More people died. At the end, the Hurley is the new Jacob, the new protector of the island. He may be there for thousands of years, but eventually he will die. Ben is his sidekick, the new Richard, he may be there for thousands of years, and eventually he will die. Desmond is with them, but Hurley will get him off the island, he is the new Jacob, he has powers. Eventually he will die.

Jack died (with Vincent, Matthew Fox's dog in real life, laying next to him, so ****ing sad). Kate, Claire, Sawyer, Lapidus, Miles, and Richard all flew off the island. Let's assume they lived happily ever after, but eventually, they all died too. Everyone dies! That's life for ya, death and taxes are the only two sure things.

Now this is where the opening of Season 6 starts, once everyone is dead. They are all in purgatory. It all begins in the plane because this is where the most important part of their lives began, where they met the most important people they would ever meet, Oceanic Flight 815.

Problem though is, they are dead but not at peace. They all can't move on. They all miss each other. There are too many stones yet unturned. Too many sins not atoned for.

Charlie tried to kill himself, but he couldn't die, he was already dead! When he saw this, he then had a flash of what meant most to him while he was alive . . . Claire. He opens the door for Desmond, and Desmond opened the door for everyone else. Every person had to realize what they all had been through, the giant adventure. They had to see all the sacrifices they made, all the things they did, the HELL they went through, and they had to see it together. Jack was just the last one to figure it out in the afterlife.

Ben couldn't move on just yet. Having Hurley give him a thumbs up and Locke forgiving him wasn't enough. He killed his dad, he killed his daughter, he killed all of Dharmaville! He wasn't ready yet, he needed to atone.

Everyone else though, they were sitting in the church, much like passengers in the plane, and the two most important people, Jack and Locke, were in the front row, on a flight to their ultimate peace.

That was the tv show LOST! It was an adventure about a group of people who were alone, they had no one, they were dubbed a tremendous responsibility, and they were all LOST. In the end, after they saved the world, after they made sacrifices, they were all together in the end, no longer alone, no longer LOST.

And that is why it is the greatest show ever.

Just watched the finale. This is my opinion on it:

I also think we can link this to the fact that those who were killed by or helped the black smoke were not allowed into the church.... that's why we don't see people like Richard, Ben, Ecko or Michael inside.

Though Sayid helped smokey a lot and killed a few people in the temple and allowed it so smokey could get in and destroy a ton more.

this show wasnt about walts ability or who the dharma initiative are. it was about the characters itself and their journey in the island.

I take it you've been watching a different show to me then because I distinctly remember those exact things being a huge part of the show. The hatch wasn't a big part of the show? I could have sworn most of series 1 and 2 revolved around it. Strange that my mind has twisted reality so I'm thinking that.

It was a good ending for the characters... but that was it. As far as actually ending the show it was terrible. I mean.. think about it... Locke's death was the absolute 'PERFECT' way for him to die? Really? That was the absolute epitome of perfection? He lost his powers when the plug opened and then was shot by Kate who somehow had magical powers to know he was vulnerable and then he was pushed down the cliff? What? I've seen better bad guy deaths in kids TV shows! Even the wicked witch of the west has a better death scene than this smoke monster who is supposed to be evil incarnate. Widmore and Ben's rule that they can't kill each other suddenly being forgotten was PERFECTION? really? perfection? A rule that was never explained to us, that just existed... and then just as quickly ceased to exist was the absolute PERFECT way to end that idea?

Why bother adding all these mysteries if they're just going to turn around at the end and attempt to brush them away as 'oh they were never meant to be explained... (contradicts their own promises) stop thinking about this so much... it's only a TV show... jeez... get a grip'

Maybe because they knew that whatever horse shit they put in front of their die hard fans and called it a steak, they'd grab a fork and just dive right in shovelling it down and claiming that it's the best tasting steak they've ever had.

If you watched the entire show and wanted to know why everything was happening then how is a character based ending with no answers to the mysteries the 'perfect ending to the entire show'?
I'm guessing all those who loved the ending and are trying to crowbar their opinion onto everyone else... they only watched the show for the characters... they were completely uninterested in the smoke monster, in the temples, in the countless unexplained twists and turns. All they wanted was Neighbours on an island?

Where have these 'no one cares about the stories of the island... it's character character character!' people been for the last few years? Why now are they suddenly appearing and saying 'no that was the best way to end it... no explanations, just happy campers at the end!' Where have these people been the last few years during all the discussions about the mysteries? Were they just sitting tight lipped thinking 'no... no,why are you all discussing those things? They're meaningless... it's all about jack jack oh lovely jack!

Seriously I'd love to know where these people have been all these years.

It seems that the old saying 'ignorance is bliss' has no better place in this world than to be tagged along side the ending to Lost. I find it pathetic how childish those answers to that 15 Q&A's are.

Why did this happen and then was never explained?
Because it did and you were never to know why!

That's as bad as kids shooting each other with ray guns and then saying 'oh no... you didn't kill me because I have anti ray gun shields.
And then his mate says 'yeah well I have anti ray gun blasters and I take your shields down'
"No you don't because I have a hundred back up shields"

Equally pathetic is that someone felt the need to defend the TV show that they have had no part in creating to us Neanderthal morons who just don't get.

"See the show makes sense if you thin like me and block out all sense of logic, go on give it a try"

"But I'm not you... I want to know why things happened"

"Ah but you're not supposed to... look just stop thinking for yourself and just sit here with me"

"But.. what... hang on... I'm not supposed to want to know why things happened? since when?"

"Since I said so... and erm.. I mean seeing as I get the ending and you don't... that makes my opinion the same as the show creators... therefore giving my life purpose and making me feel like a chosen one. I'm special... no wait... I get it! OMG I'M A CANDIDATE chosen by JJ! Wait here... I need to post that on twitter and facebook asasp in an attempt to get some attention and fame online because I'm an online narcissist, who thinks my life is more important than it truly is.

If you drifted along with lost and never got into the mysteries, you'll find this ending to be perfect. If you actually paid attention to everything and no doubt like the people who made the show wanted us to, discussed all the mysteries.... then you're left feeling empty handed and like you've just wasted your time.

I think the character side to the ending show was well done. It was bang on the money. That is the best way to end that part of the show because we got to see everyone happy and they got what they were after and what we wanted them to find. But that's not the best way to finish the 'story of lost'.

No doubt that now comes on a dvd later in the year. "Lost: Every secret, every twist every turn... REVEALED" Then again... seeing as those things were never important.. it should happen. Just like Walt's story wasn't important.. oh but wait... it's getting explain on the extras of the last series dvd set. Hmmm strange one that.

Last edited:
If their intent was that the show was 90% about the characters (being the survivors), then why dedicate a whole episode to Jacob and Samuel? Especially so close to the finale.

Like Rad says, why go into so much story about the hatch, the numbers, black smoke, Dharma, the tapes that were made, time travelling and bunny rabbits, polar bears, the Hurley bird. All of those and more were put in the show for a reason and that's because they knew the mysteries and theories was the main draw for the viewers and they wanted to feed the viewers more to keep us coming back.

So they kept feeding us more mysteries and we couldn't wait until the end until most questions would be answered. But no, it's just about the characters. So why base the show on such a special island if you just wanted to write a chick flick in the end?

They knew most people were more interested in the island, they kept making up these questions for us but then failed to provide answers for some reason. Whether that's because there are no answers as they don't know how to answer it, or whether they really have used it to string us along and then did a cheap cop-out by just claiming the "characters" were more interesting. No, they weren't.

If their intent was that the show was 90% about the characters (being the survivors), then why dedicate a whole episode to Jacob and Samuel? Especially so close to the finale.

Like Rad says, why go into so much story about the hatch, the numbers, black smoke, Dharma, the tapes that were made, time travelling and bunny rabbits, polar bears, the Hurley bird. All of those and more were put in the show for a reason and that's because they knew the mysteries and theories was the main draw for the viewers and they wanted to feed the viewers more to keep us coming back.

So they kept feeding us more mysteries and we couldn't wait until the end until most questions would be answered. But no, it's just about the characters. So why base the show on such a special island if you just wanted to write a chick flick in the end?

They knew most people were more interested in the island, they kept making up these questions for us but then failed to provide answers for some reason. Whether that's because there are no answers as they don't know how to answer it, or whether they really have used it to string us along and then did a cheap cop-out by just claiming the "characters" were more interesting. No, they weren't.

They will probably argue that us loser fans forced their hand into explaining Jacob and the few mysteries they did explain. Like they had no intention to, but us losers sat at our pc's crying that we need to know forced them into giving us some info.

What was the explanation behind the weird numbers ruining Hurley's life and the people before him in the end? Was it brushed off as coincidence in the end? I'm sure there was something about the co-ordinates of the island being the numbers but other than that I don't recall how they explained this huge part of the story that people are now trying to claim was never a big interesting part and they never once felt a desire to know more about them.

Definitely with rad and dags on this too. I wanted an ending to the show, not an ending for the characters. The characters are part of the show, so the ending should have been about the mysteries AND the characters... All they have done is ignore one half of the main focus of LOST and really that is what is unacceptable.

Also agree with rad when you say that all of a sudden, it's convenient for some of the fans to say 'it was never about the mystery, you obviously don't get it' ... Absolute tosh. Why set it on an island? Why all the mystery and mythology? If it was a character based drama they wanted, then set it in Detroit with jack working as a lawyer and Kate in a coffee shop, would have apparently meant as much.

No, of course it was about the mystery and the story woven into the series. It was about 'the others', dharma, the smoke monster, whidmore, eliouse, Jacob, the button, the black rock etc etc etc. So all of that i invested in for 6 years actually meant nothing? Nah, don't think so.

What I am seeing and reading about the ending, is if you loved character based stories, then you loved the ending. If you like mystery, sci-fi and story telling (basically what we were sold as the premise of LOST 6 years ago) then the ending was awful. My missus balled her eyes out and loved the ending - I sat there non-plussed and annoyed.

The writers either rushed or panicked the writing of the final series and have managed to alienate half the audience. Trouble is, there is very little they can do to fix it now. If they realized they have fucked half the audience off and made a special episode of 'the island mysteries' or something, it would just feel forced now. And the ending was so absolute that there is absolutely no way they can make a series in the future featuring any of these characters we saw at the end. Nobody would watch another series where the characters were Kate and miles for example. The remaining characters are not strong enough or interesting enough on their own to carry a series.

Nope, that's it. Stick a fork in LOST, it's done and we were screwed over.

I've been a massive Lost fan for the full time, dedicated hours and hours (days!) of my life to watching and talking about it. But I can quite comfortably say it's not one of the best shows ever, and that ending just sums it up for me.

Instead of realising that they'd created a rich, vibrant and fascinating world that fans relished learning about, the writers decided whatever answer they gave wouldn't be enough, so they just didn't answer anything. Unlike well written, smartly constructed shows where you can go back and watch earlier episodes and think 'oh my god, now this makes so much sense!' you can't do that with Lost because the writers never had a true vision. It's a shambles. A shambles with interesting tricks and gimmicks, but maybe that's why JJ Abrams never wanted the show to go on for so long. Because there was no reveal, there isn't an answer. Never was.

If you want to watch a multi-season, character driven sci-fi drama that was actually written with purpose and coherency, watch Battlestar Galactica. Better than Lost in all ways except that it's harder to convince your female friends to watch it with you ;)

Summary:

First ...
The Island:

It was real. Everything that happened on the island that we saw throughout the 6 seasons was real. Forget the final image of the plane crash, it was put in purposely to f*&k with people's heads and show how far the show had come. They really crashed. They really survived. They really discovered Dharma and the Others. The Island keeps the balance of good and evil in the world. It always has and always will perform that role. And the Island will always need a "Protector". Jacob wasn't the first, Hurley won't be the last. However, Jacob had to deal with a malevolent force (MIB) that his mother, nor Hurley had to deal with. He created the devil and had to find a way to kill him -- even though the rules prevented him from actually doing so.

Thus began Jacob's plan to bring candidates to the Island to do the one thing he couldn't do. Kill the MIB. He had a huge list of candidates that spanned generations. Yet everytime he brought people there, the MIB corrupted them and caused them to kill one another. That was until Richard came along and helped Jacob understand that if he didn't take a more active role, then his plan would never work.

Enter Dharma -- which I'm not sure why John is having such a hard time grasping. Dharma, like the countless scores of people that were brought to the island before, were brought there by Jacob as part of his plan to kill the MIB. However, the MIB was aware of this plan and interferred by "corrupting" Ben. Making Ben believe he was doing the work of Jacob when in reality he was doing the work of the MIB. This carried over into all of Ben's "off-island" activities. He was the leader. He spoke for Jacob as far as they were concerned. So the "Others" killed Dharma and later were actively trying to kill Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley and all the candidates because that's what the MIB wanted. And what he couldn't do for himself.

Dharma was originally brought in to be good. But was turned bad by MIB's corruption and eventually destroyed by his pawn Ben. Now, was Dharma only brought there to help Jack and the other Canditates on their overall quest to kill Smokey? Or did Jacob have another list of Canidates from the Dharma group that we were never aware of? That's a question that is purposley not answered because whatever answer the writers came up with would be worse than the one you come up with for yourself. Still ... Dharma's purpose is not "pointless" or even vague. Hell, it's pretty blantent.

Still, despite his grand plan, Jacob wanted to give his "candidates" (our Lostaways) the one thing he, nor his brother, were ever afforded: free will. Hence him bringing a host of "candidates" through the decades and letting them "choose" which one would actually do the job in the end. Maybe he knew Jack would be the one to kill Flocke and that Hurley would be the protector in the end. Maybe he didn't. But that was always the key question of the show: Fate vs Free-will. Science vs Faith. Personally I think Jacob knew from the beginning what was going to happen and that everyone played a part over 6 seasons in helping Jack get to the point where he needed to be to kill Smokey and make Hurley the protector -- I know that's how a lot of the writers viewed it. But again, they won't answer that (nor should they) because that ruins the fun.

In the end, Jack got to do what he always wanted to do from the very first episode of the show: Save his fellow Lostaways. He got Kate and Sawyer off the island and he gave Hurley the purpose in life he'd always been missing. And, in Sideways world (which we'll get to next) he in fact saved everyone by helping them all move on ...

Now...

Sideways World:

Sideways world is where it gets really cool in terms of theology and metaphysical discussion (for me at least -- because I love history/religion theories and loved all the talks in the writer's room about it). Basically what the show is proposing is that we're all linked to certain people during our lives. Call them soulmates (though it's not exactly the best word). But these people we're linked to are with us duing "the most important moments of our lives" as Christian said. These are the people we move through the universe with from lifetime to lifetime. It's loosely based in Hinduisim with large doses of western religion thrown into the mix.

The conceit that the writers created, basing it off these religious philosophies, was that as a group, the Lostaways subconsciously created this "sideways" world where they exist in purgatory until they are "awakened" and find one another. Once they all find one another, they can then move on and move forward. In essence, this is the show's concept of the afterlife. According to the show, everyone creates their own "Sideways" purgatory with their "soulmates" throughout their lives and exist there until they all move on together. That's a beautiful notion. Even if you aren't religious or even spirtual, the idea that we live AND die together is deeply profound and moving.

It's a really cool and spirtual concept that fits the whole tone and subtext the show has had from the beginning. These people were SUPPOSED to be together on that plane. They were supposed to live through these events -- not JUST because of Jacob. But because that's what the universe or God (depending on how religious you wish to get) wanted to happen. The show was always about science vs faith -- and it ultimately came down on the side of faith. It answered THE core question of the series. The one question that has been at the root of every island mystery, every character backstory, every plot twist. That, by itself, is quite an accomplishment.

How much you want to extrapolate from that is up to you as the viewer. Think about season 1 when we first found the Hatch. Everyone thought that's THE answer! Whatever is down there is the answer! Then, as we discovered it was just one station of many. One link in a very long chain that kept revealing more, and more of a larger mosiac.

But the writer's took it even further this season by contrasting this Sideways "purgatory" with the Island itself. Remember when Michael appeared to Hurley, he said he was not allowed to leave the Island. Just like the MIB. He wasn't allowed into this sideways world and thus, was not afforded the opportunity to move on. Why? Because he had proven himself to be unworthy with his actions on the Island. He failed the test. The others, passed. They made it into Sideways world when they died -- some before Jack, some years later. In Hurley's case, maybe centuries later. They exist in this sideways world until they are "awakened" and they can only move on TOGETHER because they are linked. They are destined to be together for eternity. That was their destiny.

They were NOT linked to Anna Lucia, Daniel, Roussou, Alex, Miles, Lupidis, (and all the rest who weren't in the chuch -- basically everyone who wasn't in season 1). Yet those people exist in Sideways world. Why? Well again, here's where they leave it up to you to decide. The way I like to think about it, is that those people who were left behind in Sideways world have to find their own soulmates before they can wake up. It's possible that those links aren't people from the island but from their other life (Anna's parnter, the guy she shot --- Roussou's husband, etc etc).

A lot of people have been talking about Ben and why he didn't go into the Church. And if you think of Sideways world in this way, then it gives you the answer to that very question. Ben can't move on yet because he hasn't connected with the people he needs to. It's going to be his job to awaken Roussou, Alex, Anna Lucia (maybe), Ethan, Goodspeed, his father and the rest. He has to attone for his sins more than he did by being Hurley's number two. He has to do what Hurley and Desmond did for our Lostaways with his own people. He has to help them connect. And he can only move on when all the links in his chain are ready to. Same can be said for Faraday, Charlotte, Whidmore, Hawkins etc. It's really a neat, and cool concept. At least to me.

But, from a more "behind the scenes" note: the reason Ben's not in the church, and the reason no one is in the church but for Season 1 people is because they wrote the ending to the show after writing the pilot. And never changed it. The writers always said (and many didn't believe them) that they knew their ending from the very first episode. I applaud them for that. It's pretty fantastic. Originally Ben was supposed to have a 3 episode arc and be done. But he became a big part of the show. They could have easily changed their ending and put him in the church -- but instead they problem solved it. Gave him a BRILLIANT moment with Locke outside the church ... and then that was it. I loved that. For those that wonder -- the original ending started the moment Jack walked into the church and touches the casket to Jack closing his eyes as the other plane flies away. That was always JJ's ending. And they kept it.

In the end, for me, LOST was a touchstone show that dealt with faith, the afterlife, and all these big, spirtual questions that most shows don't touch. And to me, they never once waivered from their core story -- even with all the sci-fi elements they mixed in. To walk that long and daunting of a creative tightrope and survive is simply astounding.

Instead of realising that they'd created a rich, vibrant and fascinating world that fans relished learning about, the writers decided whatever answer they gave wouldn't be enough, so they just didn't answer anything. Unlike well written, smartly constructed shows where you can go back and watch earlier episodes and think 'oh my god, now this makes so much sense!' you can't do that with Lost because the writers never had a true vision.

And that, right there, is my problem.

I wanted questions about the island answered. I've said many times that once the series was finished, the island would make much more sense and it'd be brilliant to go back and watch Lost from the beginning and see a whole new perspective on things.

What it's actually turned out to be is that you can watch the first episode, the last 30 mins of the last episode, and you can skip the rest. Yes, you'll miss the character development but you can watch Eastenders for that or something. But what you'll gladly miss out on is all of the island questions that don't get answered and, after six years, you're not really much wiser about the island than you were five years ago.

There's really no point in going back and watching Lost from the beginning now, and that's a big shame.

Though Sayid helped smokey a lot and killed a few people in the temple and allowed it so smokey could get in and destroy a ton more.

I take it you've been watching a different show to me then because I distinctly remember those exact things being a huge part of the show. The hatch wasn't a big part of the show? I could have sworn most of series 1 and 2 revolved around it. Strange that my mind has twisted reality so I'm thinking that.

It was a good ending for the characters... but that was it. As far as actually ending the show it was terrible. I mean.. think about it... Locke's death was the absolute 'PERFECT' way for him to die? Really? That was the absolute epitome of perfection? He lost his powers when the plug opened and then was shot by Kate who somehow had magical powers to know he was vulnerable and then he was pushed down the cliff? What? I've seen better bad guy deaths in kids TV shows! Even the wicked witch of the west has a better death scene than this smoke monster who is supposed to be evil incarnate. Widmore and Ben's rule that they can't kill each other suddenly being forgotten was PERFECTION? really? perfection? A rule that was never explained to us, that just existed... and then just as quickly ceased to exist was the absolute PERFECT way to end that idea?

Why bother adding all these mysteries if they're just going to turn around at the end and attempt to brush them away as 'oh they were never meant to be explained... (contradicts their own promises) stop thinking about this so much... it's only a TV show... jeez... get a grip'

Maybe because they knew that whatever horse shit they put in front of their die hard fans and called it a steak, they'd grab a fork and just dive right in shovelling it down and claiming that it's the best tasting steak they've ever had.

If you watched the entire show and wanted to know why everything was happening then how is a character based ending with no answers to the mysteries the 'perfect ending to the entire show'?
I'm guessing all those who loved the ending and are trying to crowbar their opinion onto everyone else... they only watched the show for the characters... they were completely uninterested in the smoke monster, in the temples, in the countless unexplained twists and turns. All they wanted was Neighbours on an island?

Where have these 'no one cares about the stories of the island... it's character character character!' people been for the last few years? Why now are they suddenly appearing and saying 'no that was the best way to end it... no explanations, just happy campers at the end!' Where have these people been the last few years during all the discussions about the mysteries? Were they just sitting tight lipped thinking 'no... no,why are you all discussing those things? They're meaningless... it's all about jack jack oh lovely jack!

Seriously I'd love to know where these people have been all these years.

It seems that the old saying 'ignorance is bliss' has no better place in this world than to be tagged along side the ending to Lost. I find it pathetic how childish those answers to that 15 Q&A's are.

Why did this happen and then was never explained?
Because it did and you were never to know why!

That's as bad as kids shooting each other with ray guns and then saying 'oh no... you didn't kill me because I have anti ray gun shields.
And then his mate says 'yeah well I have anti ray gun blasters and I take your shields down'
"No you don't because I have a hundred back up shields"

Equally pathetic is that someone felt the need to defend the TV show that they have had no part in creating to us Neanderthal morons who just don't get.

"See the show makes sense if you thin like me and block out all sense of logic, go on give it a try"

"But I'm not you... I want to know why things happened"

"Ah but you're not supposed to... look just stop thinking for yourself and just sit here with me"

"But.. what... hang on... I'm not supposed to want to know why things happened? since when?"

"Since I said so... and erm.. I mean seeing as I get the ending and you don't... that makes my opinion the same as the show creators... therefore giving my life purpose and making me feel like a chosen one. I'm special... no wait... I get it! OMG I'M A CANDIDATE chosen by JJ! Wait here... I need to post that on twitter and facebook asasp in an attempt to get some attention and fame online because I'm an online narcissist, who thinks my life is more important than it truly is.

If you drifted along with lost and never got into the mysteries, you'll find this ending to be perfect. If you actually paid attention to everything and no doubt like the people who made the show wanted us to, discussed all the mysteries.... then you're left feeling empty handed and like you've just wasted your time.

I think the character side to the ending show was well done. It was bang on the money. That is the best way to end that part of the show because we got to see everyone happy and they got what they were after and what we wanted them to find. But that's not the best way to finish the 'story of lost'.

No doubt that now comes on a dvd later in the year. "Lost: Every secret, every twist every turn... REVEALED" Then again... seeing as those things were never important.. it should happen. Just like Walt's story wasn't important.. oh but wait... it's getting explain on the extras of the last series dvd set. Hmmm strange one that.

The hatch was explained mate and why tehy had to push the button. Plus have you not read any of the summary's i have posted that further backs up that this show was all about these characters lives in the island and how at the beginning of the show they were lost and alone as a person and right at the end came together and found peace and fulfillment amongst each other and no longer lost and alone.

Seriously dude read the summary's i have posted. Ok they diddnt answer every little detail but come on, name me a tv show or even a movie that doesnt have ANY plot holes. just name one.

Anyways rad you want all the mysteries to be solved but i myself aint bothered as many of the mysteries were answered and for me Lost was about the characters. Dont call me or others ignorant just because we have a different view and expectations of lost. come on man

Last edited:
how at the beginning of the show they were lost and alone as a person and right at the end came together and found peace and fulfillment amongst each other and no longer lost and alone.

Who cares? Really? If I want to watch something about people being being lost and finding their way in life, there's countless movies I can watch in 2 hours instead of 120 hours to watch Lost.

There's an encyclopedia coming out in September, I'm definately getting that. Why? Because I loved the island and the questions behind it. Hopefully the book will answer those questions.

Or maybe it's a way to make a fortune off people when they knew they could blag their way to an end ... "Yep, Lost finishes and it's all about the CHARACTERS! But guess what? You can buy our book for £12 and we'll answer those questions there! Thanks you for your monies!" :ROLL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares? Really? If I want to watch something about people being being lost and finding their way in life, there's countless movies I can watch in 2 hours instead of 120 hours to watch Lost.

There's an encyclopedia coming out in September, I'm definately getting that. Why? Because I loved the island and the questions behind it. Hopefully the book will answer those questions.

Or maybe it's a way to make a fortune off people when they knew they could blag their way to an end ... "Yep, Lost finishes and it's all about the CHARACTERS! But guess what? You can buy our book for £12 and we'll answer those questions there! Thanks you for your monies!" :ROLL:

Thats the difference betwene me and you. i care about character development, you care about mysteries and its answeres. No one forced you to watch 120 hours of lost. you knew very well that some questions wont be answered.

Seriously dude learn to respect peoples opinions (you included Rad) instead of bashing it and mocking them.

People are different and people like different things for fucksakes. Yea we get it, you hate Lost's ending. ok fair enough. i respect your opinions etc so why cant you and others do the same?

About the encyclopedia, why get it when it will just be posted on a website for free? Plus diddnt you read that post i made containing over 50 of unanswered questions?

Last edited:
Nobody would watch another series where the characters were Kate and miles for example. The remaining characters are not strong enough or interesting enough on their own to carry a series.

I don't know... I think I could go for a spin off sit-com with Richard where he tries to explain why he has no birth records, no social security number, no home, no bank accounts and tries to score with the ladies.

The hatch was explained mate and why tehy had to push the button.

To stop the energy from building up and causing something bad wasn't it? And how and why that came to be is? Why were the people in each hatch being watched and what happened to the other hatches? Why were they empty and why when the shit did hit the fan and the hatch started to implode and Desmond turned a key... did nothing really happen. Why were the other stations un-manned? weren't they in danger of exploding?

I think they vaguely showed the people in the 70's digging down and what else? why did the hatch get built? Because they opened up the light, shat themselves and then had to keep releasing the pressure bit by bit by bit until it was all gone and that's why the other hatches were empty... because the leak there had stopped?

Plus have you not read any of the summary's i have posted that further backs up that this show was all about these characters lives in the island and how at the beginning of the show they were lost and alone as a person and right at the end came together and found peace and fulfillment amongst each other and no longer lost and alone.

Is this the summary you just posted AFTER I last commented? No I didn't see into the future and read that before posting my rant no.

Seriously dude read the summary's i have posted. Ok they diddnt answer every little detail but come on, name me a tv show or even a movie that doesnt have ANY plot holes. just name one.

So, 'hey everyone else does it so you can't have a problem' is your argument?

Sure other shows have plot holes and bits and bobs wrong but Lost was about the island. They said countless times that everything would be explained. That's not a plot hole... that's completely disregarding a promise and a large % of the show's history.

As far as that wall of text summery goes... seriously... tv shows... No wait... well written tv shows shouldn't need fans desperately trying to explain it to other fans after the end.

I also notice lots of use of the word 'maybe this or maybe that, a couple of 'what I like to think is' and then the lovely "I know that's how a lot of the writers viewed it". Oh do you now... you actually knew what the writers were thinking did you? That's as pathetic as the 'My dad works for Sega and....'

]Anyways rad you want all the mysteries to be solved but i myself aint bothered as many of the mysteries were answered and for me Lost was about the characters. Dont call me or others ignorant just because we have a different view and expectations of lost. come on man

So you never once watched lost and then wondered about the mysteries? NEVER? You NEVER once thought for yourself and wondered why Ben and Widmore couldn't kill each other, and then think for yourself and wonder why Ben suddenly was able to shoot him? All you seriously cared about was 'Hmmm I wonder if Jack and Kate will be happy together'? From pilot to end that's all you ever cared about? Any time the others or walt's stories or jacks dad being on the boat talking to michael or the temple with the dirty water and Sayid's test and infection.... any time they came on screen you just sat there totally uninterested because without the aid of hindsight you knew it was always about the characters?

I'd love to see where you posted your expectations on the show years ago in this thread saying that you are just watching the show for the soap opera part and you don't care about the rest. Love it.

If that's true then that perfectly leads to my 'ignorance' point.

I didn't call anyone ignorant in that 'if you think this... then you're an ignorant person'. I said Ignorance is bliss is the perfect tag line for lost. If you ignore most of the show's plots then you'll enjoy the ending because you get to see the characters happy. If you don't ignore it and think for yourself and question things.... you'll be left wanting answers.

Ignorance...
(as in ignoring the shows stories and just drifting along watching Jack and Kate talk and ignoring the smoke monster trying to kill them because apparently that was never important)

...is bliss
(you enjoy the character only based ending)
-

As far as respecting other people's opinions. Well you're stating yours. I'm saying 'well I disagree.. I think the opposite based on the following facts.... and therefore for me the ending was shit'.
It seems you're the one trying to turn our minds around to your way of thinking with the summery and other bits you find on the web to prove us wrong. I'm saying 'I didn't like that they spent years adding twists and turns only in the end to just drop it all with no explanation and give us this kind of end'. And you're telling me that I'm actually in the wrong for thinking that way because somehow.. with no actual evidence to back it up... the show was actually never about anything other than the characters.

So you're not just trying to give your own opinion that is was 'perfection' but go further to attempt to discredit anyone who says otherwise with some random fans blog post giving their own opinions in where they claim everything that happened in that show was perfection. Exactly like my Horse shit that is actually prime steak comment.

Yes the character's ending was great... I get it, I got it, I loved it. But the fact is we only got a half ending. The characters got an ending and then the other star of the show... the island and its mysteries were no where to be seen. That's not me discrediting anyone's opinions... that's me pointing out irrefutable factual evidence that you cannot ignore unless you purposely block that from your mind.

Ignorance is bliss

Last edited:
Thats the difference betwene me and you. i care about character development, you care about mysteries and its answeres. No one forced you to watch 120 hours of lost. you knew very well that some questions wont be answered.

Seriously dude learn to respect peoples opinions (you included Rad) instead of bashing it and mocking them.

People are different and people like different things for fucksakes. Yea we get it, you hate Lost's ending. ok fair enough. i respect your opinions etc so why cant you and others do the same?

About the encyclopedia, why get it when it will just be posted on a website for free? Plus diddnt you read that post i made containing over 50 of unanswered questions?

The concept and marketing of the show forced most of us to watch it JM. The fact it was about this 'mysterious island' and was so different. I keep coming back to 'emotional investment' that the writers wanted from us over 6 seasons. They gave us all the mysteries and the mythology to keep us hooked - so that is why we watched 120 hours of it.

If it was marketed as a soppy 'everyone loves each other' type show, I dont think anyone would have watched it. They conned us with the mythology and right at the end, couldnt finish it properly so finished off the character arc (fair enough) and left the whole premise of the show defunct.

Surely you see that? Its good so many people liked the ending and I'm happy for you - but dont you see why others are annoyed? I dont expect (or ever wanted) EVERY single answer, I like a lot has been left open - its not about getting every question answered - its about why take us down this path in the first place, only for it all to be deemed pretty much pointless and worthless in the end.

Its sloppy, lazy writing and reading your quotes above only confirms what I've said all along - they knew the beginning and the end and for 99% of the show, they just made it up as they went along to ensure advertising revenue, DVD sales etc - creating this fantastical LOST universe where everything is now shown as a waste of time for the viewers.

I don't know... I think I could go for a spin off sit-com with Richard where he tries to explain why he has no birth records, no social security number, no home, no bank accounts and tries to score with the ladies.

So you never once watched lost and then wondered about the mysteries? NEVER? You NEVER once thought for yourself and wondered why Ben and Widmore couldn't kill each other, and then think for yourself and wonder why Ben suddenly was able to shoot him? All you seriously cared about was 'Hmmm I wonder if Jack and Kate will be happy together'? From pilot to end that's all you ever cared about? Any time the others or walt's stories or jacks dad being on the boat talking to michael or the temple with the dirty water and Sayid's test and infection.... any time they came on screen you just sat there totally uninterested because without the aid of hindsight you knew it was always about the characters?

If that's true then that perfectly leads to my 'ignorance' point.

I didn't call anyone ignorant in that 'if you think this... then you're an ignorant person'. I said Ignorance is bliss is the perfect tag line for lost. If you ignore most of the show's plots then you'll enjoy the ending because you get to see the characters happy. If you don't ignore it and think for yourself and question things.... you'll be left wanting answers.

Ignorance...
(as in ignoring the shows stories and just drifting along watching Jack and Kate talk and ignoring the smoke monster trying to kill them because apparently that was never important)

...is bliss
(you enjoy the character only based ending)

Mate i do want to know a few answers to the questions. i never said i diddnt. but all im saying is i really enjoyed the show as a whole. yes its not perfect but it is miles better than any show i have seen.

IMO their couldnt have been a better ending. its just the answers to some questions needed to be answered. thats it. are you unhappy about the ending itself or about the mysteries that wasnt answered?

The way I think of it is that they could have done a very effective, flash-forward/backward show on a deserted island with a plane load of crashed passengers that had all of the emotional power of Lost - without a single part of the sci-fi element.

That the writers chose to, instead of just having Jack deal with 'real' problems like finding food, losing friends to disease and sickness etc, combat a smoke monster, travel through time, solve number puzzles and so forth indicates that the show isn't just a people drama.

Same with you then I guess? Me, Rad, PBB, Ryan were all disappointed with how it ended. We're not all wrong and because you think it was a "perfect" ending, it doesn't make it so.

I think you missed my edit to that post JM.

I loved the character ending, but it was only a half ending to the show. To me I feel like I've been led down this path of mystery with a promise at the end of it... and not just a single promise... but many promises to many crazy stories. The weird numbers, libby having a boat to give to desmond and being in Hurleys mental asylum, widmore and ben not being allowed to kill each other... Farday's mum being mysterious and waiting for Desmond in the other alt reality where she explained that Charlie had to die because it was his fate... the island moves with the turn of a cog... it frigging MOVES.. and how did they all know this? Fardays mum having that giant pendulum to find the island... how many times has the island moved around to justify paying for and building that thing?

But no... instead we're just dragged back to the start and shown the original ending to a 3 series show which now, after all the extended storylines felt like an ending to a different show. Sure that's nice that we see everyone happy in this world but what about all this other shit that was going on... where are the explanations to that?

And it's not the writers who are saying 'oh that was never important... the show was never about that' trying to force that opinion onto everyone else with huge in depth analysis to prove us wrong.

No it's some no name, no talent nothing fans who seem to think that because they liked the ending and enjoyed it... there should have been nothing more. I don't know why... I don't know if it's because they feel special that they got it and we don't and so it's their mission to force others to think the same uniformed way.
Maybe they're just terrified that if it had ended with answers... answers to things they weren't interested in because they just wanted to watch a love triangle and see what happens. They wouldn't have enjoyed that ending, seeing things explained that they don't care about and have never once cared about. And so they have to cling to this ending through gritted teeth trying to persuade us folk who wanted answers that we're wrong. Because they're just afraid that if the majority hated it and wanted answers... then they are in the minority group, and majority rules so their perfect lovely ending would have been tarnished by logical explanations to mysteries.

"Oh.. it was never about the island, just forget about the rest and you'll see that this ending was perfection... absolute perfection"

Says who?

"Says me and my opinion"

Oh I guess I can't argue with that logic then

Mate i do want to know a few answers to the questions. i never said i diddnt. but all im saying is i really enjoyed the show as a whole. yes its not perfect but it is miles better than any show i have seen.

IMO their couldnt have been a better ending. its just the answers to some questions needed to be answered. thats it. are you unhappy about the ending itself or about the mysteries that wasnt answered?

You said earlier that in your opinion it was perfect, now it's not perfect.. but there still couldn't have been a better ending?

:CONF:

I enjoyed the show as a whole too. I just wanted some explanation as to why all these things were going on. Surely it's not too much to expect the writers thought up the idea of Ben and Widmore not being allowed to kill each other and have a reason and a backstory to explain why - and then to let us know why?

The same goes for everything else they started but never finished. This kind of stuff is basic writing school. You start a story... you finish the story. If you were on a writing degree course and you handed in Lost as a story they'd fail you for not explaining the bulk of your content or just rip out page after page of text and tell you that your 120 hour blockbuster is really nothing more than a few series of basic character development ending on a variation of a 'it was all a dream' style cop out end sequence.

Last edited:
The more I think of it, the more my head hurts!

I did quite enjoy how it ended with Jack's final resting place being where it all started and Vincent running along. Very touching!

I know a few folk who have never watched it, or started watching it and gave up. So Iam dreading answering the big question of "So, what happend then!?"

Funny post that a workmate sent me:

How about an ending that finally answered some of the burning questions that the writers have been intricately weaving all throughout the series like some elaborate puzzle carefully laid out one piece at a time? Hey, folks, now pay close attention to this scene, it's going to be important later. See what's going on over here? It will all make sense in the end. How about some logical reason/motive for a character's actions?
Yes, Jacob, I lied to you when I said I was your mother. I killed your real mother by bashing her over the head with a rock right after she gave birth to you. For some reason other mothers will have trouble giving birth on this island in the future. We'll spend some time focusing on the problem, like it's important, but it really isn't. Why? Maybe the polar bear knows the answer. Also, I favor your brother over you, even though he is not as good a person as you are. Now that you both came here in your mother's womb, and were born on this island, neither of you must ever, repeat, ever leave here because it will unleash hell, and destroy everything. However, you can still go appear to people away from the island from time to time. Just never give them any real answers when you talk to them. Do whatever I tell you, and never question me why. Now, wouldn't you like to spend the rest of your entire life here alone with just me on this little God forsaken island making sure no one goes near that strange light in the hole? What is it doing there? Dumb question. What is it? It's basically just a really elaborate drain plug. Don't ever pull it out, or the energy will drain out, and this whole blamed island will simply fall apart. By some inexplicable way, I've made it so your brother can never kill you, and you can never kill him, but he can still kill me just to keep it interesting. By the way, never throw your brother in where the light is, because he'll become some kind of smoke monster if you do. Yes, that's right. A smoke monster. Are you jotting all this down? Oh, and one more thing, drink this water so you can be just like me, a complete lunatic.

Interesting post, and answers some stuff:

It was real. Everything that happened on the island that we saw throughout the 6 seasons was real. Forget the final image of the plane crash, it was put in purposely to f*&k with people's heads and show how far the show had come. They really crashed. They really survived. They really discovered Dharma and the Others. The Island keeps the balance of good and evil in the world. It always has and always will perform that role. And the Island will always need a "Protector". Jacob wasn't the first, Hurley won't be the last. However, Jacob had to deal with a malevolent force (MIB) that his mother, nor Hurley had to deal with. He created the devil and had to find a way to kill him -- even though the rules prevented him from actually doing so.

Thus began Jacob's plan to bring candidates to the Island to do the one thing he couldn't do. Kill the MIB. He had a huge list of candidates that spanned generations. Yet everytime he brought people there, the MIB corrupted them and caused them to kill one another. That was until Richard came along and helped Jacob understand that if he didn't take a more active role, then his plan would never work.

Enter Dharma -- which I'm not sure why John is having such a hard time grasping. Dharma, like the countless scores of people that were brought to the island before, were brought there by Jacob as part of his plan to kill the MIB. However, the MIB was aware of this plan and interferred by "corrupting" Ben. Making Ben believe he was doing the work of Jacob when in reality he was doing the work of the MIB. This carried over into all of Ben's "off-island" activities. He was the leader. He spoke for Jacob as far as they were concerned. So the "Others" killed Dharma and later were actively trying to kill Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley and all the candidates because that's what the MIB wanted. And what he couldn't do for himself.

Dharma was originally brought in to be good. But was turned bad by MIB's corruption and eventually destroyed by his pawn Ben. Now, was Dharma only brought there to help Jack and the other Canditates on their overall quest to kill Smokey? Or did Jacob have another list of Canidates from the Dharma group that we were never aware of? That's a question that is purposley not answered because whatever answer the writers came up with would be worse than the one you come up with for yourself. Still ... Dharma's purpose is not "pointless" or even vague. Hell, it's pretty blantent.

Still, despite his grand plan, Jacob wanted to give his "candidates" (our Lostaways) the one thing he, nor his brother, were ever afforded: free will. Hence him bringing a host of "candidates" through the decades and letting them "choose" which one would actually do the job in the end. Maybe he knew Jack would be the one to kill Flocke and that Hurley would be the protector in the end. Maybe he didn't. But that was always the key question of the show: Fate vs Free-will. Science vs Faith. Personally I think Jacob knew from the beginning what was going to happen and that everyone played a part over 6 seasons in helping Jack get to the point where he needed to be to kill Smokey and make Hurley the protector -- I know that's how a lot of the writers viewed it. But again, they won't answer that (nor should they) because that ruins the fun.

In the end, Jack got to do what he always wanted to do from the very first episode of the show: Save his fellow Lostaways. He got Kate and Sawyer off the island and he gave Hurley the purpose in life he'd always been missing. And, in Sideways world (which we'll get to next) he in fact saved everyone by helping them all move on ...

continued...

continued...

Now...

Sideways World:

Sideways world is where it gets really cool in terms of theology and metaphysical discussion (for me at least -- because I love history/religion theories and loved all the talks in the writer's room about it). Basically what the show is proposing is that we're all linked to certain people during our lives. Call them soulmates (though it's not exactly the best word). But these people we're linked to are with us duing "the most important moments of our lives" as Christian said. These are the people we move through the universe with from lifetime to lifetime. It's loosely based in Hinduisim with large doses of western religion thrown into the mix.

The conceit that the writers created, basing it off these religious philosophies, was that as a group, the Lostaways subconsciously created this "sideways" world where they exist in purgatory until they are "awakened" and find one another. Once they all find one another, they can then move on and move forward. In essence, this is the show's concept of the afterlife. According to the show, everyone creates their own "Sideways" purgatory with their "soulmates" throughout their lives and exist there until they all move on together. That's a beautiful notion. Even if you aren't religious or even spirtual, the idea that we live AND die together is deeply profound and moving.

It's a really cool and spirtual concept that fits the whole tone and subtext the show has had from the beginning. These people were SUPPOSED to be together on that plane. They were supposed to live through these events -- not JUST because of Jacob. But because that's what the universe or God (depending on how religious you wish to get) wanted to happen. The show was always about science vs faith -- and it ultimately came down on the side of faith. It answered THE core question of the series. The one question that has been at the root of every island mystery, every character backstory, every plot twist. That, by itself, is quite an accomplishment.

How much you want to extrapolate from that is up to you as the viewer. Think about season 1 when we first found the Hatch. Everyone thought that's THE answer! Whatever is down there is the answer! Then, as we discovered it was just one station of many. One link in a very long chain that kept revealing more, and more of a larger mosiac.

But the writer's took it even further this season by contrasting this Sideways "purgatory" with the Island itself. Remember when Michael appeared to Hurley, he said he was not allowed to leave the Island. Just like the MIB. He wasn't allowed into this sideways world and thus, was not afforded the opportunity to move on. Why? Because he had proven himself to be unworthy with his actions on the Island. He failed the test. The others, passed. They made it into Sideways world when they died -- some before Jack, some years later. In Hurley's case, maybe centuries later. They exist in this sideways world until they are "awakened" and they can only move on TOGETHER because they are linked. They are destined to be together for eternity. That was their destiny.

They were NOT linked to Anna Lucia, Daniel, Roussou, Alex, Miles, Lupidis, (and all the rest who weren't in the chuch -- basically everyone who wasn't in season 1). Yet those people exist in Sideways world. Why? Well again, here's where they leave it up to you to decide. The way I like to think about it, is that those people who were left behind in Sideways world have to find their own soulmates before they can wake up. It's possible that those links aren't people from the island but from their other life (Anna's parnter, the guy she shot --- Roussou's husband, etc etc).

A lot of people have been talking about Ben and why he didn't go into the Church. And if you think of Sideways world in this way, then it gives you the answer to that very question. Ben can't move on yet because he hasn't connected with the people he needs to. It's going to be his job to awaken Roussou, Alex, Anna Lucia (maybe), Ethan, Goodspeed, his father and the rest. He has to attone for his sins more than he did by being Hurley's number two. He has to do what Hurley and Desmond did for our Lostaways with his own people. He has to help them connect. And he can only move on when all the links in his chain are ready to. Same can be said for Faraday, Charlotte, Whidmore, Hawkins etc. It's really a neat, and cool concept. At least to me.

But, from a more "behind the scenes" note: the reason Ben's not in the church, and the reason no one is in the church but for Season 1 people is because they wrote the ending to the show after writing the pilot. And never changed it. The writers always said (and many didn't believe them) that they knew their ending from the very first episode. I applaud them for that. It's pretty fantastic. Originally Ben was supposed to have a 3 episode arc and be done. But he became a big part of the show. They could have easily changed their ending and put him in the church -- but instead they problem solved it. Gave him a BRILLIANT moment with Locke outside the church ... and then that was it. I loved that. For those that wonder -- the original ending started the moment Jack walked into the church and touches the casket to Jack closing his eyes as the other plane flies away. That was always JJ's ending. And they kept it.

In the end, for me, LOST was a touchstone show that dealt with faith, the afterlife, and all these big, spirtual questions that most shows don't touch. And to me, they never once waivered from their core story -- even with all the sci-fi elements they mixed in. To walk that long and daunting of a creative tightrope and survive is simply astounding.

Back
Top Bottom