Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

liverpool displayed the kind of football that all english clubs should play while playing continental football. excellent passing skills and keeping possession of football. Mancini for sure will be afraid of them even at San Siro.

2nd one did. First one didn't. But the way he was going, he could have got a 3rd in the next minute. Forget the game, the Inter players were dirty!

no mate. not the first one, neither the 2nd. actually the first one should have been a yellow card to torres for diving. :roll:

if it would have happened to anybody else, everybody would talk about a shameful, disgraceful referee call....
but it was materazzi, so.....:roll:

btw mate, when where inter players dirty? what do u mean by saying "dirty"?

Fremm said:
One of the best posts (football-wise)I had the pleasure of reading recentely!
thanks mate. nice to see someone actually read it despite its lenght :lol::mrgreen:

Julio Cesar's Anfield heartache

Inter goalkeeper Julio Cesar said it “hurt my heart” to lose 2-0 at Anfield after a controversial encounter.

“I don’t think we deserved to lose 2-0. It hurt my heart to concede at the 85th after playing a perfect game up until then, especially as Liverpool had so few chances,” said the shot-stopper.

“The only real opportunity they had other than the goals came from our misplaced pass, so it was upsetting to ruin all that hard work at the end.”

The Champions League tie was inevitably dominated by Marco Materazzi’s harsh dismissal just 30 minutes into the match.

“I think the first booking was a bit sneaky from Fernando Torres, who couldn’t reach the ball anymore and let himself fall,” continued Julio Cesar.

“The second card was also exaggerated, there was so little contact. Marco was sad, but didn’t say anything in the locker room.

“We were also sad as the opening goal was deflected, as we felt unlucky throughout the game.”

The goalkeeper was Inter’s best player on the night, although he couldn’t keep out Steven Gerrard’s last-minute strike that came off the inside of the upright.

“I think Cristian Chivu conned me there, as he came sliding in, but then took his feet away as he was afraid to score an own goal and by the time it got past him it was too late for me to recover.

“Still, it’s only half-time in this tie and we have time to fight back.”

The Brazilian also revealed an amusing anecdote when he came face to face with Liverpool giant Peter Crouch. “When Crouch came on I said to Maicon ‘Look how tall this guy is!’ Maicon said he couldn’t jump that high, but I asked him to at least try!”

---------------------------

Love that quote at the end :lol:

Never thought I'd see Plan M defend Liverpool! :shock:

Even when Inter were down to ten men, they played 4-4-1 which is pretty much just as hard to break down as playing against eleven men. All this nonsense about "you only won because they had a man sent off" is a load of rubbish, they came to Anfield to hit us on the counter, the first 30 mins showed that, and nothing changed after the red card. True, they had less of an outlet by having one man up front, but defensively they still had the four midfielders and four defenders to break down.

Goes back to what I was saying about credit really. People always seem to look for an "excuse" as to why Liverpool won, not because we played well :roll:

The Nerazzurri face an uphill task to qualify for the quarter finals of the Champions League after their 2-0 first leg last 16 loss to Liverpool at Anfield.

According to Tuttosport, Mancini was set upon by a group of angry Inter supporters, who hurled abuse at the coach, blaming him for the defeat.

Mancini did not stay quiet, and is said to have reacted angrily by retuning the insults back at the fans.

The situation became so serious that security staff entered the scene and were ready to intervene, fearing that a fully-blown physical confrontation was about to break out between Mancini and the supporters.

Eventually the ex-Lazio boss chose to walk away from the incident.

This is the second report of unrest among the Inter camp, following Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s angry comments about Marco Materazzi, in which he blamed the defender for Inter’s defeat.

Materazzi was harshly sent off after half-an-hour for two yellow cards, forcing the Nerazzurri to play two-thirds of the game with 10 men.

Never thought I'd see Plan M defend Liverpool! :shock:

I only ever state what I see mate. I never get carried away with my own team either. When we play crap, I tell it how it is. You might think that I hate L'pool but I don't: It's been part of my life growing up since the 80s; we are not ALLOWED to like Liverpool...it's part of our rivalry. I notice you sometimes get offended quite easily on here mate and you shouldn't; football is about the "craic" as Blue4Life famously mentioned once. The lows make the highs even better; I mean; IF I supported L'pool and someone said to me two weeks ago; "Mike, you'll get knocked out of the Cup by Barsnley on Saturday but beat Inter at home 2-0 on Tuesday." I would take that. I would take the Champions League over the Cup anyday - my point is that enjoy the good times and as frustrating as it is; bear with the bad times because at the end of the day; you'll always love your club with all your heart. :)

we'll soon see if this defeat starts to affect them in the league. Can't see them slipping up in the league with an 11 point gap though.

I think Dirty as in going-down-too-easily? It's a form of art that the Italian players mastered and Refs over there happily obliged. They make is look so real fouls although it wasn't. I seen that happen when we faced Roma a few years ago.

I only ever state what I see mate. I never get carried away with my own team either. When we play crap, I tell it how it is. You might think that I hate L'pool but I don't: It's been part of my life growing up since the 80s; we are not ALLOWED to like Liverpool...it's part of our rivalry. I notice you sometimes get offended quite easily on here mate and you shouldn't; football is about the "craic" as Blue4Life famously mentioned once. The lows make the highs even better; I mean; IF I supported L'pool and someone said to me two weeks ago; "Mike, you'll get knocked out of the Cup by Barsnley on Saturday but beat Inter at home 2-0 on Tuesday." I would take that. I would take the Champions League over the Cup anyday - my point is that enjoy the good times and as frustrating as it is; bear with the bad times because at the end of the day; you'll always love your club with all your heart. :)

I wouldn't say I get offended easily, I don't mind a few digs and jokes, it's when it's non-stop with CONSTANT digs and no actual discussion going on. Then it becomes a bit monotonous and pointless (Chico springs to mind). A little bit of banter between fans is all good but some people have came on here with no intention for discussion or banter, just to have a dig.

And that's not why I come to this forum. I come here to have a chat with fellow Liverpool fans, have the occasional joke around with rival fans and enjoy myself. But when idiots come on posting 50 jpg's (which I'll say are all a load of shit and not mildly funny), then it brings the forum down a level. Blue posted that funny pic of a kid when someone called him immature, that made me laugh and is a good example of what I'd expect here. Chico posting a shitload of jpg's with NO element of discussion or text apart from throwing illiterate snidey digs and acting like a five year old and a good example of what would drive me away from places if they became overtaken by these people.

Gomito is having a good discussion with us about last nights game, and he disagrees with us but it's all good, it's an interesting chat. Without shitty jpg's ;)

Inter Milan did not play dirty infact if it was not for cordobas' injury i think it would have been 0-0. it was ref's mistake that he sent off Materazzi. it was very harsh BUT he made it equal when Vieira touched the ball and didnt give a penalty. i'm sure he saw that ball touching. so it was a fair game and liverpool won because they were better.

I wouldn't say I get offended easily, I don't mind a few digs and jokes, it's when it's non-stop with CONSTANT digs and no actual discussion going on. Then it becomes a bit monotonous and pointless (Chico springs to mind). A little bit of banter between fans is all good but some people have came on here with no intention for discussion or banter, just to have a dig.

And that's not why I come to this forum. I come here to have a chat with fellow Liverpool fans, have the occasional joke around with rival fans and enjoy myself. But when idiots come on posting 50 jpg's (which I'll say are all a load of shit and not mildly funny), then it brings the forum down a level. Blue posted that funny pic of a kid when someone called him immature, that made me laugh and is a good example of what I'd expect here. Chico posting a shitload of jpg's with NO element of discussion or text apart from throwing illiterate snidey digs and acting like a five year old and a good example of what would drive me away from places if they became overtaken by these people.

Gomito is having a good discussion with us about last nights game, and he disagrees with us but it's all good, it's an interesting chat. Without shitty jpg's ;)

Fair enough mate. :)

I think Dirty as in going-down-too-easily? It's a form of art that the Italian players mastered and Refs over there happily obliged. They make is look so real fouls although it wasn't. I seen that happen when we faced Roma a few years ago.

I remember seeing Torres go down a couple of times as if he was struck by lightening...No need to generalise mate, Italian football is not dictated by falling poofs and actors or cheating.

Without wanting to piss of Italian's here, I kinda agree with Koolaje on the diving. It does tend to happen far more in Italy (and Spain to a lesser extent) and is a big reason why I don't watch Serie A. The Italian league have some exceptional players but I can't stand watching football where it's accepted that diving is part of the game, or even taking a slight touch and "making the most of it".

I agree Torres did go down far too easily last night, he's done that quite a lot since he's been here unfortunately. But like Ronaldo, I'm sure that'll change as he gets used to the physical nature and realises he's going to have to accept being hit about.

I remember seeing Torres go down a couple of times as if he was struck by lightening...No need to generalise mate, Italian football is not dictated by falling poofs and actors or cheating.

I would say that unfortunatley the game is riddled with play acting and cheating all over the globe , adebayour against man utd was a disgrace , i hate to see that, must say though there is a lot of talk about how dirty last nights game with inter was , ive seen alot worse in the premier league

I'm not saying all italian footballers are like that, but most of the players are like that, at least when you compare them to english players. You don't see cheap fouls getting called too often in EPL, so players stopped doing it at the end, while over there, ref's keep calling them fouls.

And there are many worse than Torres in Italy, even based only the ones Liv faced the past 5 years ;) Not saying it's bad, but it's more of a men's game @ EPL (maybe not the right word), hope you get what I meant. And yes, even in Liverpool we have some that falls to easily to the ground, not going to defend them too much :|

Torres just loses his footing too easily. Not sure he's just always looking for freekicks. Its just the way it happens is peculiar, almost as if the strength in his legs just disapeers. Might be his boots. He's always slipping in matches, remember just before his cracking goal against Boro?

He's a top bloke, he's not arrogant. But if he keeps going on in that vein, the fans will get on his back.

Yes, Torres did fall down easily a couple of times yesterday, and he used to dive in La Liga alot. He'll get used to the EPL though.

But yesterday, Inter came out with the purpose of injuring the Livepool players. First throw in we get, and Materazzi just pushes Torres away. Same with Chivu. Then I remember, Zanetti pushing Torres away after the foul was given. And there were many more small incidents that went unnoticed.

You guys are right to a certain extent and I can understand where you are coming from. Overall I have to say that diving isn't that present in Italy the last two seasons. I myself am very critical about italian football, but I've noticed an increase in attractive matches and rugged, more psychical style of football. Maybe you guys should watch some more Serie A games this year, it could very well change your perspective..

I still dont understand why you guys play Lucas? I think he is one of the Dodgiest Midfield players ive ever seen!

We play him because he's quality, he wasn't bad last night
yes at times he looked out of his depth but he's only 19.

He keeps it simple, always keeping the ball
moving(one touch passing). Never going for
'hollywood' balls. One part of his game
i'd like to see is him getting more forward
and shooting the guy has a strike on him.

I was suprised that he played, could it
mean the end for Alonso in the summer?

As a team great performance all round the
system that we used last night clearly
showed we lack a world-class winger/attacking
midfielder. Someone who can run past players and
make things happen.

Although I have my strong opinions about Italian football, I have to say the "diving" aspect of the play is no-where near as bad as it was in the 90s. Also, The Premiership has it's fair share of it, even the English players dive. But to be honest, I am not warranted to have an opinion of Serie A anymore because I don't watch it like I did 10+ years ago; I especially went right off it when Juventus & other clubs were found guilty of match-fixing. It left a bitter taste in my mouth. :)

Last edited:

Mike, it's better nowadays I can assure you...Just take a plunge and watch some games you won't be dissapointed...Next week Juve-Torino maybe?

As for the ref, he was crap, from what I saw they were fouls on Torres but only one was worth a card, if that. But there's a reason why the defender has a bad reputation and Im sure that over a season he will get more decisions favouring him then not so I have no sympathy. And in the 2nd half it looked as if the ref has seen his mistake and was trying to balance it out by not giving the numoures handballs (both in the area and out).

As for Torres diving, I havent seen one example were it has been simulated. Its always that he gets touched and lets himself go to ground easily. And with the way the refereeing works I cant blame him, or anybody else for doing that. I don't like it and usually shout at the TV for Torres to "Get Up!". But it needs to be done for the team.

For example against Reading he tried to stay on his feet and got fouled twice in the area and didnt get anything. And there has been more of those incidents were he has been fouled but has tried to carry on and then ended up with nothing.

It was the same yesterday, or saturday with Lucas. He managed to knock the ball past the defender and was obstructed but instead of going to ground he tried to continue, off balance, to get to the ball. Another defender managed to knock the ball off of his toe as he had more momentum and speed. Now had he gone down Liverpool would have gotten a freekick in a dangerous position but instead they conceded a throw-in because Lucas stayed on his feet after getting fouled. There is no gain to keep going with the current regulations.

Also there is a good comment on 365 regarding the foul:

Whatever you think of Benitez, he remains rather better qualified to do his job than Jim Beglin and Clive Tyldesley are to do theirs. Their discussion about Marco Materazzi's red card demonstrated that along with the Italian they should have been dismissed.

Both challenges that led to his bookings were non-violent. But in both cases they were intentional, involving grabs at Fernando Torres's shirt. The first kept the striker in playing distance, leading to the careless clash of legs that brought him down; the second was plainly a long-enough hold to stop the striker getting clear of him in a dangerous area.

The conversation between Beglin and Tyldesley dragged on and on, the subject was returned to in the second half, and it revolved around whether that second tug was what brought the Spaniard down, about how great the contact was. No attention whatsoever was paid to the fact that the contact had got the job done of stopping Torres getting away.

Shirt-pulling can be six of one and half-a-dozen of the other as players jostle and with the first booking, Materazzi's arm may have been going out in anticipation of the Spaniard doing likewise. There was no such excuse second time around.

It was a highly-professional foul in every regard except that it was conducted by a player on a booking in full view of the referee. Someone should have grabbed hold of the shirts of Beglin and Tyldesley and pulled them out of the commentary box.

Like I said earlier in this post, Materazzi will get more of the decisions his way then not as he knows what he is doing. And Inter benefit directly from it, so they shouldnt moan when it goes the otherway.

As for Lucas, he reminds me of Fabregas from a few seasons ago in stature, movement, passing. I think it says enough that he can handle himself quite well against Inter in the CL 1/16. He's still a bit lightweight and doesnt have the strength yet to play more physical matches but given time I think he can become as good as the Arsenal midfielder. Even if he only gets close he will be a great player.

Last edited:

Free MM:

I watched the Genoa derby and enjoyed it on Sunday mate :)

Like I've said a million times on this forum, Serie A used to be my favourite league in the World. When I was a kid and we played footy in the park, I was always Zamorano or Batistuta! I ADORED Italian football and used to support them in every World Cup. I cried when they beat Brazil in USA 94! I still have the Italy jersey from that World Cup & it's 3 sizes too big now! It made me sad when all the match-fixing was going on & all the stars were going elsewhere like La Liga. :)

but for vieras handball, hypia did the same thing... torres diving? all around both teams acted the same, as do all team across the globe, diving isnt limited to italy or spain, it happens everywhere, including england.. and even by english players.

As for the ref, he was crap, from what I saw they were fouls on Torres but only one was worth a card, if that. But there's a reason why the defender has a bad reputation and Im sure that over a season he will get more decisions favouring him then not so I have no sympathy. And in the 2nd half it looked as if the ref has seen his mistake and was trying to balance it out by not giving the numoures handballs (both in the area and out).

As for Torres diving, I havent seen one example were it has been simulated. Its always that he gets touched and lets himself go to ground easily. And with the way the refereeing works I cant blame him, or anybody else for doing that. I don't like it and usually shout at the TV for Torres to "Get Up!". But it needs to be done for the team.

For example against Reading he tried to stay on his feet and got fouled twice in the area and didnt get anything. And there has been more of those incidents were he has been fouled but has tried to carry on and then ended up with nothing.

It was the same yesterday, or saturday with Lucas. He managed to knock the ball past the defender and was obstructed but instead of going to ground he tried to continue, off balance, to get to the ball. Another defender managed to knock the ball off of his toe as he had more momentum and speed. Now had he gone down Liverpool would have gotten a freekick in a dangerous position but instead they conceded a throw-in because Lucas stayed on his feet after getting fouled. There is no gain to keep going with the current regulations.

Also there is a good comment on 365 regarding the foul:

Like I said earlier in this post, Materazzi will get more of the decisions his way then not as he knows what he is doing. And Inter benefit directly from it, so they shouldnt moan when it goes the otherway.

a warning would have been warranted, he should have not been sent off. it ruined the match

but for vieras handball, hypia did the same thing

You do seem clueless at times, keeping you arm alongside your body with no danger and raising you hands (even if to cover your face) to stop an attacking pass in the area are two different things. And even then Im being generous as his arms/hands were covering a larger area then just his face.

You do seem clueless at times, keeping you arm alongside your body with no danger and raising you hands (even if to cover your face) to stop an attacking pass in the area are two different things. And even then Im being generous as his arms/hands were covering a larger area then just his face.

he made a motion to the ball, but it wasnt me who picked it out, it was the commentators from sentanta.. so im not the only clueless one.. why you having a go at me? and i didnt mean literally did the same thing, sorry, i meant he played the ball with his hand, being that was the same thing...

Last edited:

Hahahaha well spotted Peter! :lol:

I meant: 3 sizes too small! It's been one of those days. :)

You guys are right to a certain extent and I can understand where you are coming from. Overall I have to say that diving isn't that present in Italy the last two seasons. I myself am very critical about italian football, but I've noticed an increase in attractive matches and rugged, more psychical style of football. Maybe you guys should watch some more Serie A games this year, it could very well change your perspective..

Hope you're right. If you're saying the last 2 years then I wouldn't have noticed the change. We got plenty of Serie A games back in Indonesia, so I'll watch one when I get back. :D

Back
Top Bottom