Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Sulph said:
Also, there could be that bad luck thing where your former players score against you. Eg.
Kewell against Leeds.
Isnt that exactly what I meant?

koolaje said:
He wasn't really available until much recently with the signing of Robinho and Baptista. He was 3rd in pick, so it was still a decent position considering that happened in REAL Madrid. However, now it's much clearer. I'm really sorry for him since he did no shame in front of the crowd, yet he will be 4th or even 5th in the strikers department.

Although we might be the ones who might suffer the bitterness, Owen in a Red Devil shirt?

Think about it .. man .. it sucks ..

As a Man U fan i would love Owen to come to us but i do feel sorry for him as he still scored more goal than Raul(i think) and was on the bench!

Shows what a crap club Real!

I think Owen pairing up with Rooney would be good for the national team too. And since the World Cup is around the corner, it would be a perfect move for Owen.

As an England fan, I would like that to happen, but from a Liverpool stand, I would be gutted if that would happen.

And oh .. if Roonie and Owen would score in Anfield I will bleed to death :(

EDIT:
Added a couple of news I found, seems Owen is heading other than Liverpool:
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N149526050801-1335.htm

And another stupid pr*ck just teamed up the current Owen situation with an "old" quote, which was aimed at Figo and not at Owen : http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,1776_601536,00.html

Last edited:

I think Owen was tempted by the name of Real Madrid, not realising that even if you score loads of goals, if you don't sell enough shirts you're not going to be in the frontline long...........bet he regrets holding out for a new deal at LFC now.

Unless Chelsea step in, he's definately going to Man Utd then. Arsene Wenger has ruled out a move for him today, Liverpool have also done the same and I dont see why Chelsea would want him unless its just to stop us from getting him.
I dont see him going to Newcastle either cuz he's never gonna get CL football and no offence to Newcastle fans but their a much smaller team than any of the top 4 in the Premiership.

I doubt Owen regrets his decision to leave Liverpool - he even stated himself indirectly after the triumph that he doubts we would have reached that far if he was still playing for us.

Its not like he was a flop at RM - he was just a victim of their dodgy politics. I would prefer to see him in Arsenal rather than in Scum or Chelski. However I don't think he's too bothered about the feedback from playing in the red of Manchester.

Owen has so many years ahead of him so its important for him to join a team where he knows he'll get a lot of football. He should have joined a team like Real Madrid once he reach about 28/29 cuz then if he wasnt a success, atleast he can look back and feel he made the most of his career. Once you reach about 29, you're past your peak anyway so it doesnt matter if you have a season like the one he had at Madrid.
But moving teams at this age for Owen is only taking away years from his career when instead he should be enjoying himself.

crayon said:
I think Owen was tempted by the name of Real Madrid, not realising that even if you score loads of goals, if you don't sell enough shirts you're not going to be in the frontline long...........bet he regrets holding out for a new deal at LFC now.

Same could be said about Baptista, I wonder if he'll regret making the move because he was "starstruck" by the big names.

Beckham got lucky, same can't be said about Woodgate.

And Benitez needs to tell Schalke £7m or fuck off, they're trying to ave a laugh about with a loan deal.

Overall id say Owen at Madrid has been a sucsess for him and Madrid and im suprised he hasnt been linked with any other Spanish clubs if the 10m fee is right!

Poor Owen. He did everthing they asked of him at Madrid and still he is in perpetual limbo. What a joke.

I still would love to sell Baros and bring Mike back. IT would be crazy to let the Champs League success occlude the fact that we finished miles behind Chelski last year and in 5th place. To think that his goals wont make a differnece next season is heresy. He is the most proven EPL goal scorer on the market. .and one of the top EPl scorers anywhere in the world right now. Even if we spend 10 million to get him after selling him for 8 million, it still seems a no brainer to me.

I have this nagging fear that Tottenham will sell Kanoute, buy Owen and then use him to fight for a spot in the top 4.

ghazi said:
I have this nagging fear that Tottenham will sell Kanoute, buy Owen and then use him to fight for a spot in the top 4.

LOL. :lmao: Now that's funny.

Could Owen add enough to Spurs to take them to the top 4? I dunno.

crayon said:
LOL. :lmao: Now that's funny.

HEard it from my cuz in London who's roomate has an "in" with the Spurs. Not saying its a surefire thing, but he told me about Edgar Davids a couple months ago.

As far as Spurs fighting for 4th, I think they're able to make that jump better than ManCity or Bolton. ManCity has lost their talisman, and the geriatric strikeforce will probably wear by the end of the season if they don't get help. Bolton was impressive, but i dont think they can continue to win 1-0 week in and out like they did last year. Love Big Sam, but i doubt they'll repeat their success in 2005/6.

At the end of the day, Tottenham was only 9 points off 4th, and they are a young team with talent in all thirds of the field and a solid manager. IF there is any team nickin' our heels this season i'd say its them and Boro. You wonder how they woulda done with Jol at the helm all season instead of Mr. Bean.

The whole Premiership is actually getting tougher if you think about it. Should be interesting...

I like the fact that it is getting more competitive lower down the league i.e.from 4th down. I do worry though that with Chelsea being able to buy all the best players it creates an unfair advantage. Still, optimistic about the season ahead (I know it's silly and irrational but that's what being a football fan is all about).

Nothing wrong with the way you feel really. Its what football can sometimes do.

But you're right. There are a lot more teams fighting for 4th position now. I think Liverpool have the edge and could in the next few years make that 4th spot a guarantee and start pushing for 1st place.

Liverpool look like they're heading for big things. and IMO look like they have the most promising future in the country.

crayon said:
I like the fact that it is getting more competitive lower down the league i.e.from 4th down. I do worry though that with Chelsea being able to buy all the best players it creates an unfair advantage. Still, optimistic about the season ahead (I know it's silly and irrational but that's what being a football fan is all about).

It's not silly at all to be optimistic about the season. Rafa'll have a year under his belt and the core of the team will have had time to gel even further and get healthy. Plus the imports will be more accustomed to the pace and style of the English game. Gerrard and Alonso will actually get a better chance to be on the field at the same time, and if Sissoko replaces Hamann with solid play, then those two can get forward and create hell for opposing teams.

A healthy Cisse, a wily Crouch, a left winger that has EPL experience and doesnt pull his groin every week. And a top class goalie and defender.

I think optimism is warranted.

Thanks for the vote of confidence RuneEdge.

I do like the look of Crouch and Cisse together, as was seen in the recent friendly....looking forward to seeing how it works in a league game.

Well coming from a Man Utd fan, thats as much of an unbiased opinion as you'll get.

But if you think about it, you already have some great players, and brilliant manager and now that you won the CL, you're gonna start attracting more players if you keep up the success.

RuneEdge said:
Well coming from a Man Utd fan, thats as much of an unbiased opinion as you'll get.

But if you think about it, you already have some great players, and brilliant manager and now that you won the CL, you're gonna start attracting more players if you keep up the success.
I know...I was thinking last night, bloody hell, if a United fan is saying that things must be looking up for Liverpool. :D As both you know and we know from past experience, once you start that success, it's like a snowball that often turns into an avalanche......crumbs, starting to sound like Cantona now. :mrgreen:

The only thing that would worry me is burn out on some of your players! History shows Long Qualifying and Intertoto will gave you starting the season like a house on fire but strugle after Christmas and with World Cup year coming its going to be a long season for you guys!

We've got the World Club Championship in Tokyo too in December. Frightening, our schedule this season.

Premiership Game Wins Draws Losses Win %
Baros 26 13 4 9 50%
Cisse 16 7 4 5 44%
Morientes 13 5 3 5 38%

Player Baros Cisse Morientes
Appearances 26 16 13
Minutes On Pitch 1,864 934 1,016
Goals 9 4 3
Minutes per Goal 207 234 339
Shots On Target 20 16 11
Shots Off Target 20 11 11
Shooting Accuracy 50% 59% 50%
Chance Conversion 22% 15% 14%
Goal Assists 1 1 0
Total Passes 512 197 292
Pass Completion % 74% 74% 70%

Seems like we did just what was necessary tonight. Anybody go to the game? I heard tickets were cheaper so it was a sellout....

Yeah got a bit boring at times last night, Whats all this about Stelios from Bolton coming??:shock:

Back
Top Bottom