Ligue 1

Re: Ligue 1 - 08/09 "Bordeaux Champion"

Overjoyed mate

I think we just lack a quality forward, or De Melo back to full fitness.

And a couple of players for cover, like what if Bastos is injured or Rami, and maybe a proper right back.

I'm GUTTED

Have anyone seen the news that Landreau has ruptured his right knee, and will be out for several months.

De Melo last season, now Landreau this season.

And why on earth have they let Tafforeau go, big mistake, Yeah i liked the way Emerson played this year, but why left someone like Greg go.

Steve Savidan stop football :SHOCK:

Monaco medical staff find a cardiac problem

Marseille owner Robert Louis-Dreyfus died Saturday after a long battle with leukemia, club officials said. He was 63.

"He was someone who loved Marseille, but unfortunately today he was swept away by his illness," Marseille's assistant manager Guy Stephan told iTele TV station. "It's a great loss for Marseille."

Former president Christophe Bouchet, who worked under Louis-Dreyfus between 2002-04, said he felt "a deep sadness" and added that it was "unfortunately not a great surprise, since (Louis-Dreyfus) was very ill over the last month."

Frederic Thiriez, president of the French football league, also paid homage to Louis-Dreyfus.

"His love for football and his passion for Marseille were stronger than anything," Thiriez told the Web site of sports daily L'Equipe. "We will sadly miss him. My thoughts are with his close relatives, Marseille and its wonderful fans."

The last decision Louis-Dreyfus made as club owner was a painful one, sacking president and close friend Pape Diouf after five years at the helm because of irreconcilable personality clashes between Diouf and other club officials.

Louis-Dreyfus reportedly made the decision to fire Diouf from his hospital bed, and was said to be in tears afterward. Diouf had helped Marseille become stable financially, and the club finished last season in second place, three points behind Bordeaux.

Although Louis-Dreyfus congratulated Diouf for "the work accomplished," he added that "differences prevent us from continuing the adventure."

Louis-Dreyfus, a billionaire of Swiss origins, took over at Marseille in 1996. He was previously the director of the Adidas and Salomon sportswear labels.

Louis-Dreyfus had suffered from leukemia for several years and his condition had worsened in recent months.

Marseille did not immediately confirm the death on its Web site.

Contacted by The Associated Press, Marseille's former vice president Jean-Pierre Klein called it "a sad day for Marseille."

Louis-Dreyfus' reign at Marseille was controversial at times, and he went on trial in an embezzlement case in 2006.

Former coach Rolland Courbis Courbis and Louis-Dreyfus were among 10 people charged with embezzling a total of euro22 million ($31 million) in club funds through alleged hidden bonuses in the transfer of 15 players between 1997-99.

Louis-Dreyfus was given a 10-month suspended prison sentence, and he and Courbis were fined euro200,000 ($284,000) each.

Louis-Dreyfus was a cousin of American actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who played the role of Elaine Benes on the "Seinfeld" sitcom.

RIP RLD

Last edited:

I'm GUTTED

Have anyone seen the news that Landreau has ruptured his right knee, and will be out for several months.

De Melo last season, now Landreau this season.

And why on earth have they let Tafforeau go, big mistake, Yeah i liked the way Emerson played this year, but why left someone like Greg go.

i agree terrible i am a fan of psg but feeling bad

Lots of shocking stuff man!!!

Savidan retires!!!?! Dreyfus dies!

Diawara to OM is almost done too now I guess and I heard Ziani will soon be presented at German champs

Marseille owner Robert Louis-Dreyfus died Saturday after a long battle with leukemia, club officials said. He was 63.

"He was someone who loved Marseille, but unfortunately today he was swept away by his illness," Marseille's assistant manager Guy Stephan told iTele TV station. "It's a great loss for Marseille."

Former president Christophe Bouchet, who worked under Louis-Dreyfus between 2002-04, said he felt "a deep sadness" and added that it was "unfortunately not a great surprise, since (Louis-Dreyfus) was very ill over the last month."

Frederic Thiriez, president of the French football league, also paid homage to Louis-Dreyfus.

"His love for football and his passion for Marseille were stronger than anything," Thiriez told the Web site of sports daily L'Equipe. "We will sadly miss him. My thoughts are with his close relatives, Marseille and its wonderful fans."

The last decision Louis-Dreyfus made as club owner was a painful one, sacking president and close friend Pape Diouf after five years at the helm because of irreconcilable personality clashes between Diouf and other club officials.

Louis-Dreyfus reportedly made the decision to fire Diouf from his hospital bed, and was said to be in tears afterward. Diouf had helped Marseille become stable financially, and the club finished last season in second place, three points behind Bordeaux.

Although Louis-Dreyfus congratulated Diouf for "the work accomplished," he added that "differences prevent us from continuing the adventure."

Louis-Dreyfus, a billionaire of Swiss origins, took over at Marseille in 1996. He was previously the director of the Adidas and Salomon sportswear labels.

Louis-Dreyfus had suffered from leukemia for several years and his condition had worsened in recent months.

Marseille did not immediately confirm the death on its Web site.

Contacted by The Associated Press, Marseille's former vice president Jean-Pierre Klein called it "a sad day for Marseille."

Louis-Dreyfus' reign at Marseille was controversial at times, and he went on trial in an embezzlement case in 2006.

Former coach Rolland Courbis Courbis and Louis-Dreyfus were among 10 people charged with embezzling a total of euro22 million ($31 million) in club funds through alleged hidden bonuses in the transfer of 15 players between 1997-99.

Louis-Dreyfus was given a 10-month suspended prison sentence, and he and Courbis were fined euro200,000 ($284,000) each.

Louis-Dreyfus was a cousin of American actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who played the role of Elaine Benes on the "Seinfeld" sitcom.

RIP RLD

:O at both the news and your pic

Woo hoo so excited Lille have got Gervinho was upset that Bastos had gone, but for €18m you can't really say no to that, but then to pay €6m for Gervinho a ready made replacement, not got the same power in his boots, but his pace will cause problems.

Looks like we've also signed Franck Guela, tbh never heard of him, but has 3 caps for the Ivory Coast, plays in midfield can't be that bad.

Fauvergue has gone, which means minutes can go to someone who might actually do something.

I'm hoping De Melo can get to full fitness, him Gervinho and Hazard will be a dangerous trio, with Balmont, Cabaye and Mavuba behind them.

Either now we need a Centre Back to play with Rami (if he stays) or if you play Beria in there, sign a good quality RB, Signorino would have been good, but he's going to Saint-Etienne apparently.

Also now that Malicki is gone and Landreau is injured, does this mean Butelle will get his chance or will Rudi bring in another keeper.

Should be a decent season, the squad is a little thin for a Europa League campaign aswell

Yeah Lille's looking good!

Cana to Sunderland!! What the hell, WHY would Marseille sell him!!! Captain. Great player. Soooo experienced and still only like 25/26. Since his move from PSG, he's been a key player for OM and a big reason for their revival and surge to back near the top of French football.

And apparently for only $5M. I'd say he's worth double that. At least to Marseille, a big part of the team's back-bone/main structure.

Disappointed.

Re: Ligue 1 - 09/10 "August 8"

He wanted to leave and Marseille respected his decision. Simple as that.
Thanks for his work during 4 years but that's a shame he chose Sunderland.

But do we know this for sure? Did he ever really say I WANT TO leave!!

He wanted to leave Olympique Marseille and champions league football and fighting for title next year (hopefully) to go to Sunderland? I don't know...

Seriously though Cana was a good captain but could hardly be called a great player.I thought he was one of the least criticized players for all the mistakes he was making.
One thing that really made laugh was Gomis signing for Lyon, who knows I might be wrong in the future but right now this looks like a bad move specially considering his price

Yah VERY nice work gibb!

Nicely written, informative, knowledgable and I happen to pretty much agree with you on everything.

Just a minor spelling mistake, you said 'LOSC had to 'expect' Lyon's $18M offer for Bastos rather than 'accept'.

I do expect your LOSC to have a good season too. Somewhere in top 6 but let's see what happpens...

Seriously though Cana was a good captain but could hardly be called a great player.I thought he was one of the least criticized players for all the mistakes he was making.

Yet Lucho, the new 'Messiah' of Velodrome had a pathetic start so far. Deschmaps rushed to recruit an additional guy there (Abriel) in case Lucho disappoints in the future. :P

Why Deschamps sacked so many good guys is beyond my understanding. There is a rule in football : We don't change a winning team and l'OM had a great season last year.

The work of Gerets is ruined and so was the chemistry of the team, they'd have to start from the beginning.
We are not going to see a very attractive OM, I am afraid. Deschamps will play 'à la Italienne', a defensive minded formation based on the center of the midfield. (Players who had a 'side profile' - If we could use such qualification - such as Zenden, Valbuena & Ziani - were all released/sold or are expected to leave).

I think you're very wrong and you'll be surprise, Marseille will never play defensive.
I'm very confident with the new season adn I fully trust Deschamps.

Yet Lucho, the new 'Messiah' of Velodrome had a pathetic start so far. Deschmaps rushed to recruit an additional guy there (Abriel) in case Lucho disappoints in the future. :P

Why Deschamps sacked so many good guys is beyond my understanding. There is a rule in football : We don't change a winning team and l'OM had a great season last year.

The work of Gerets is ruined and so was the chemistry of the team, they'd have to start from the beginning.
We are not going to see a very attractive OM, I am afraid. Deschamps will play 'à la Italienne', a defensive minded formation based on the center of the midfield. (Players who had a 'side profile' - If we could use such qualification - such as Zenden, Valbuena & Ziani - were all released/sold or are expected to leave).

Get real it's just pre-season football and the guy came from a foreign country and all.A bit like Brandao who was bad in the first 2-3 matches and received heavy criticism, I was like "wtf give these lads time to settle in"
However I am worried about DD as he seems to be making some weird buys (Morientes, Heinze, Rool ????)

Good work Gib...nice blog, i enjoyed reading it.

Cheers Gerd mate, glad you liked it

Yah VERY nice work gibb!
Nicely written, informative, knowledgable and I happen to pretty much agree with you on everything.
Just a minor spelling mistake, you said 'LOSC had to 'expect' Lyon's $18M offer for Bastos rather than 'accept'.
I do expect your LOSC to have a good season too. Somewhere in top 6 but let's see what happpens...

Corrected the spelling mistake mate.
Glad you liked it mate, means alot coming from a Ligue 1 legend.

Just finished reading it too and as PLF said it is a very nice blog you have.It is very informative for the likes who want to know what happened this pre-season.Great job

Can't you put a link in your signature gib ?
I want to continue reading it, but i wil forget about it...
Friday i will go to France for myyearly holiday and i will read L'Equipe and France football...so i will be in the mood for some French football...

I also hope Lille does well...this could turn out to be a big season for Eden Hazard.

Can't you put a link in your signature gib ?
I want to continue reading it, but i wil forget about it...
Friday i will go to France for myyearly holiday and i will read L'Equipe and France football...so i will be in the mood for some French football...

I also hope Lille does well...this could turn out to be a big season for Eden Hazard.

Added it now Gerd mate.

Where in France are you going, any chance that you might take in a game.

I really hope Eden does well again this year, he'll have a great chance to progress I think.

I can see a front line of Him, De Melo and Gervinho eventually, which is quite dangerous.

I still hope Rudi looks after him and doesn't burn him out.

Who knows he could help Belguim make it to South Africa ;)

Something that I don't understand is that Marseille finished 2nd of the league last year, so instead to keep the team and buy 2 or 3 good players, they bought 10 players and push out players like Cana, Valbuena or Cheyrou and Koné which seem they will be on the bench this year...
Now they start with a new team and have to start again all the work that Gerets has done.
It's remind me of Paris in the season 2003-2004: Paris finished 2nd, but the year after they had to build a new team because Heinze, Rozenahl, Sorin and more, left the team.

Well, what is for sure is that french teams (Marseille and Lyon) have money (finally) and start to spend it good: both Marseille and Lyon have made the "biggest" transfer of their history with Lucho and Lisandro!

Let's see what the french teams will do in CL.

Thanks gib.
I'm going to St-Brevin L'ocean near St-nazaire and Nantes.
Will watch French football on television.

Something that I don't understand is that Marseille finished 2nd of the league last year, so instead to keep the team and buy 2 or 3 good players, they bought 10 players and push out players like Cana, Valbuena or Cheyrou and Koné which seem they will be on the bench this year...
Now they start with a new team and have to start again all the work that Gerets has done.
It's remind me of Paris in the season 2003-2004: Paris finished 2nd, but the year after they had to build a new team because Heinze, Rozenahl, Sorin and more, left the team.

Well, what is for sure is that french teams (Marseille and Lyon) have money (finally) and start to spend it good: both Marseille and Lyon have made the "biggest" transfer of their history with Lucho and Lisandro!

Let's see what the french teams will do in CL.
Rien du tout as always.
Dechamps with his philosophy of completely changing the very good team Gerets built, I actually thought his first few signings were clever but with the likes of Heinze and Morientes I really wonder what the hell is going on.I certainly hope that he'll keep Brandao as the speculation of his departure is getting bigger, he's such a generous player, works hard and give 200 % in every match.It'd be a big mistake to not let him fully adapt to french football.

Rien du tout as always.
Dechamps with his philosophy of completely changing the very good team Gerets built, I actually thought his first few signings were clever but with the likes of Heinze and Morientes I really wonder what the hell is going on.I certainly hope that he'll keep Brandao as the speculation of his departure is getting bigger, he's such a generous player, works hard and give 200 % in every match.It'd be a big mistake to not let him fully adapt to french football.

Brandao is staying and I'm glad, he's the 1st choice as striker. Morientes can't play 90 min.

Deschamps and Anigo decided to choose players with more skills, taller and stronger.

That's wrong to say that everything has changed and that Gerets' work is gone because the formation is almost identical. It's just more solid with a deeper bench. How can that be wrong ?

Only 4 players are new on the starting eleven (Heinze, Diawara, Mbia and Lucho). It's not a huge change, it's normal.

Rotation is the key this season (like Bordeaux last season) :
- Kone/Ben Arfa
- Lucho/Abriel
- Mbia/Cissé
- Brandao/Morientes
- Taiwo/Rool
- Heinze/Hilton

The team can be disappointing but in my opinion Deschamps' choice were clever and the right ones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom