Ligue 1

Re: Ligue 1 Orange 07/08

Lyon - Marseille : 1-2
Juninho 7'
Niang 10' (P)
Niang 42'

Our reference match. I hope they confirm next match. Mandanda wa unbelievable. It could have been a 5-5 draw.
marseille should be glad they have mandanda , imagine how this season would have been without him .

Hey, would some of you French guys be willing to order Nice's new camo scarf and then send it to me via mail? Of course I would pay you full price. The only thing I don't know is how the money transfer would look like since I don't have PayPal. Maybe send a package with a certain value (in this case 15 € + postage)?

aaaaaaaa i'm happy today ,PSG won and :D:D and something make me happier; OM Lost!!!:D:D so no PSG-OM next round!!!

It seems you already know the cup is for you. I like Psg and I'm happy they won, but if you need a lose of Marseille to appreciate your own result, it's very sad. It's also strange to only see you post when Marseille loses and Paris wins. But when Paris were losing, you were not here... What's your prediction for next month ? You should tell us now because if you lose, you won't argue with "arrogant fans".
I think you're one of the few guys who still think the rivalry against Paris and Marseille exists. Opposing 2 average teams is pointless.

It seems you already know the cup is for you. I like Psg and I'm happy they won, but if you need a lose of Marseille to appreciate your own result, it's very sad. It's also strange to only see you post when Marseille loses and Paris wins. But when Paris were losing, you were not here... What's your prediction for next month ? You should tell us now because if you lose, you won't argue with "arrogant fans".
I think you're one of the few guys who still think the rivalry against Paris and Marseille exists. Opposing 2 average teams is pointless.

No i don't need Marseille to lose to make me happy,i was just saying that i'm happy because we wont meet again.
And are you trying to tell me there is no rivalry anymore between us just because we are two averages teams?:roll::roll:
So rivalry is just for the big teams??

Amazing goals from Valbuena! great win for Marseille. very good hat-trick from Cisse and Nasri now has 2 goal in 2 games. :)

benzama is the man. so is ben afra, but the subs by lyon in the second half were mind boggling. Taking out ben afra was shocking... that free kick was sublime

basketball court :)

hey how about marseille boys! they have been kicking ass and taking names lateley... however thomas, how come marseille play better with the diver valubena but united dont with ronaldo :) I love valubenas game he is great to watch. What happend to Ziani?

Allez lille... i just love the french league..the level of attacking technique is just immense for example... le pen's goal... mama mia

There might not be a lot of big name teams or players but i recommend the league for young kids looking to be good strikers/midfield players and not forgetting the many spidermen goalies between the sticks!!!

The ref that gave psg the penalty vs Lom is fooking blind..... my highlight of the weekend was Prince Albert's gestures after seeing obertan smash in number 6 and how Le verde thumped their opponents and seeing PK score 2 goals!!!

Thank you setanta!!!!

one question i ask my self... this has to be the most athletic and fastest(in terms of player speed) league in europe? what do you guys think

Allez lille... i just love the french league..the level of attacking technique is just immense for example... le pen's goal... mama mia

There might not be a lot of big name teams or players but i recommend the league for young kids looking to be good strikers/midfield players and not forgetting the many spidermen goalies between the sticks!!!

The ref that gave psg the penalty vs Lom is fooking blind..... my highlight of the weekend was Prince Albert's gestures after seeing obertan smash in number 6 and how Le verde thumped their opponents and seeing PK score 2 goals!!!

Thank you setanta!!!!

one question i ask my self... this has to be the most athletic and fastest(in terms of player speed) league in europe? what do you guys think
certainly up there in terms of speed and athelticisim. Yes that was not a penalty nor was it even in the box, that ref should be suspended. Yes thank god for sentanta!

What do you guys think of Cavenaghi?

He is a player I have rated for ages, since River and seems to have started scoring the goals for Bordeaux.

West Ham are in need of a striker who can put the ball away and I have said him on another West Ham forum for ages that he is a player we should look at!
But I don't know if we would get him or if our coaching setup has enough knowledge of the European game to find certain players :roll::DOH:

He is a player I have rated for ages, since River and seems to have started scoring the goals for Bordeaux.

West Ham are in need of a striker who can put the ball away and I have said him on another West Ham forum for ages that he is a player we should look at!
But I don't know if we would get him or if our coaching setup has enough knowledge of the European game to find certain players :roll::DOH:

there calling him cavigoal... not sure if he is the kind of striker that would do well in england... whats wrong with ashton? cavi likes to come back deep pass the ball around, beat a player, but he doesnt seem much of a target man, tbh i have only seen him twice this year, so dont listen to me

I always had Cavenaghi down as more of a opportunist.
Not so much of a predator like Inzaghi, but someone who is always buzzing about waiting for that chance and being a good finisher too.

Ashton can be a good player, but after his injuries he is so heavy and unfit and looking well out of sorts.
Bellamy is out for the rest of the season too.

I think West Ham will do fine next season with both Ashton and Bellamy...

Eric Gerets is doing a marvelous job in Marseille. I think that Marseille can win the Ligue with Gerets (but notthis season).

Gerets has a strange habit to become champion with a club and then have an absolutely calamity season afterwards...usually he gets fired the season after winning silverware...

I still have faith in Dean Ashton and think not even England or the Premier League has seen the best of him. I don't think he's anything special but I do think, his best is yet to come and he can become a pretty good and useful forward even at a high level like the EPL.

Bellamy, Zamora, Henri Camara and Carlton Cole however... I don't have as much hope for or faith in so yeah West Ham could use at least one more high quality striker. Whether that should be Cavenaghi or not, I don't know.... I think there are potentially more suitable targets who would see it as a bigger opportunity and hence be more hungry, motivated and eager for that move than Nando.

I think he's only just settled now in Bordeaux and France and his career is once again looking promising when it hadn't been for awhile and he had endured some difficult times in Europe and he's keen to make it last and stay there.

He speaks fondly of Bordeaux and French football and with a CL place a possibility once again, he may well want to stay and be part of Les Girondins where he has already done the hard part (settling in) and feels important and relied on.

As for Eric Gerets, I've always liked the guy and am so glad, he took over from Mr. Emon :roll: and has helped OM this way.

At least with quality coaches like Laurent Blanc and Eric Gerets in charge of the likes of Bordeaux and OM, there's some (Even if small) hope that it might be a possibility if OL indeed fuck up a lot and drop points as they did last weekend against Le Mans. Where as if it's the likes of Albert Emon, you don't even have that glimmer of hope.

I therefore hope that Gerets stays there, and OM manage to keep all current important players (Cana, Taiwo, Mandanda, Valbuena, etc.) and invest in some more players as well and challenge for title next year. This is the most supported team in France and one of the most all over Europe and around the world.

It'd make sense for it to once again become a regular title challenger and CL participator.

After months of being too busy with life to get my usualy highly dosage of European football needed, I finally found the time to catch some Ligue 1 action last weekend and boy am I glad I did it. I realized after watching the 2 Setanta games, of what I had been missing.

High quality football and high quality players minus the over-inflated egos, massive hype and over-blown reputations.

Athletic players yet not poor technically since in fact much of the flair and skillfulness of other leagues also comes from former Ligue 1 players. Think guys like Pires, Giuly and Malbranque as just 3 few and small examples of guys who add technicaly and creative quality to the 3 most famous leagues respectively. Tactically, it's no Serie A but the players do have good understanding and aren't baboons or blind.

So you have a good healthy mix of athleticism, technical quality and tactical understanding of coaches and players which makes it still one of the world's top leagues despite the huge number of exports each year and one that a true football fan would follow and watch if they had the time.

Thank you setanta!!!!

Thank you Setanta indeed! :applause:

I heard there is a rumour take-over bid for them :-s by the way. Is that gone away now or is it a possibility? That could change things... but for the better or worse?? we shall see I guess....

------------------------------------------------------

As for Prince Albert obviously fuming at Monaco's 2nd half performances, I thought that was so funny! :mrgreen: :lol:

And yeh the ref got the penalty wrong in the classico match. Not only did the tackle happen outside the box, Laurent Bonnart could not have possibly made a better challenge given his position, angle and situation.

It still is #1 in the athletic sense but I'd say, it's now not alone at the top anymore. I'd say, now EPL is just as athletic as Ligue 1 with just as many fast, strong and high energy/stamina players. So now the two share that top spot.

It is of course, no surprise that Ligue 1 has always been an incredibly athletic and physical league mainly because of the huge African influence it's always had and still does. Many of the players are either African by birth or by origin and ethnicity through parents.

But EPL is in that regard now joint #1 as well in my opinion because they too have invested hugely in African players over recent years and much of that is of course largely due to the huge yearly imports from Ligue 1 which has transferred some of French Leagues' athleticism to England.

Essien, Gallas, Adebayor, Drogba, Clichy, Lassana Diarra, John Utaka, Benjani, Chimbonda, Faubert, Sagna, Evra, Malouda and many many more were all brought over from France.

Only a handful of athletic imports came from other places (Sulley Ali Muntari from Serie A / Udinese for example), the majority were here.

And I wouldn't be surprised if next year we see the likes of Aruna Dindane, Baky Kone, Rod Fanni and Taiwo there.

tuta said:
Exclusive Video of the new stadium in Lille. It's really going to happen now.

http://www.loscwebtv.fr/?r=1,1,,2,258

Very nice. It can be used as a basketball pitch

What's the capacity confirmed then?

----------------------------

Oh well... I gotta go now.

It's been a long time since I had the pleasure of chatting with all you folks though. Hope life's going well for all. :)

Adios.

Thanks for the imput PLF...

I think Bellamy will be a massive blow for us because of our style of play, his pace is invaluable.
Cannot wait for Zamora to come back either because we have been missing someone like him who is different to Cole and Ashton.
At the moment Ashton and Cole cannot play together, which is why we play 4-5-1 so much...

Anyway, this is the French football thread, but if you fancy, then pop into the West Ham thread as it needs a bit of livening up!!

I look forward to seeing more of Cavenaghi this season as he is very much a player that thrives when the going is good. Love watching players that have that natural great finishing ability.

9 goals in the 8 last games he took part in :applause:
and more important : professionnal attitude . he never complained when he was on the bench for long .
I hope he won't leave ligue 1 for long , he can do great things with Bordeaux and play the champions league next season so I don't think West Ham would be a good thing for him .

Last edited:

I think West Ham could possibly be a good thing for him but knowing him and his personality, I don't think he'd want to move. He's the type of guy who, now, finally having found his feet, would want to stay where he's settled.

So I think if it's up to him, he may want to move at some point in the future but not in the near future.

But of course every player has his price and if someone like West Ham was to offer enough money so that Bordeaux would deem too good to refuse, the player would be told to move.

@steve, no need to thank me at all bro.

It's been a long time since I've had the time to log in let alone chat here a bit and it's just nice to see you old pals still around and to talk from time to time. :)

I agree with you about Fernando. He does have that special clever eye for goal that even most strikers don't and that makes watching him fun despite him not being exactly the most athletic or flashy player.

Back
Top Bottom