ITALY thread

Re: The Italy Thread - Forza Azzurri! - "Il sogno è appena cominciato"

It seems that i missed the best match of the tournament.
Congratulations to all the Italian guys in here. This was a victory against all odds. I agree on that golden ball for Pirlo.

Italy-Spain was the best i've seen so far (like i said, i haven't seen yesterday's match). I hope they do the same in the final (which i will not able to see again).

Oh and Sina, about Balotelli: i told you so. But's lets be totally honest and fair: there was no merit in that prediction (i predicted that Balotelli would score a hattrick), it was just luck. A calculated gamble. In the EPL Balotelli to me was a natural finisher, he scored some goals out of nowhere. It's isn't possible that his finishing skills entirely left him.

Man that second goal was unstoppable. I felt like jumping out of my seat and doing exactly the same :COOL:

BALOTELLI-WILL-WRECK-YOU.gif

Really surprised Bonucci is playing so good. The best defender in the team this tournament. You think Prandelli will drop one of the defenders to put back Maggio? I think this setup yesterday worked really well.

And the pitch was very poor. A lot of chances went away for both team.

Last edited:

Italy is on fire! Typically they lost many friendlies and got battered by Russia 3-0. But what do you know, they are a tournament team.

I knew Italy would go very very far in the Euros, playing this kind of football. It is still damn solid, however still a pleasure to watch when they have the ball. Congrats to you guys and keep Prandeli, the man is working wonders.

At halftime I knew it was no contest anymore. A 2-0 lead and the Italians are no strangers to the art of defending :D
Really rock solid stuff we saw in the 2nd half, not without the constant threat of counter attacks. It could have been more.

As for Cassano, for all the health problems he's had, I'm impressed. He's not really fit of course, but he is still a handful. He absolutely had Hummels in his pocket, made the 1st assist and then made an excellent pass to Montolivo, who should've scored really.

And Balotelli is the element of chaos. He's capable of ridiculous and naive moments at times, and brilliance at others.
But one thing he has been constantly excellent at is making that run in the middle, dropping off the shoulder of the last defender. When the defensive line is high like that and the timing of the pass is as good as Montolivo's, there's so much you can do about it. This brings back great memories of the big old fat (not so fat then) Ronaldo.

Anyway, that 2nd goal by Balotelli was maybe the best goal of the Euros. And there is something "primal" about watching a finish like that stuffing the back of the net. It had me, a neutral, standing up screaming! Great stuff :)

Good luck Italia!

PS: Pirlo is seriously good, I'm just so surprised to see people reacting to his great performances as if he's only blossoming now?

Really surprised Bonucci is playing so good. The best defender in the team this tournament. You think Prandelli will drop one of the defenders to put back Maggio? I think this setup yesterday worked really well.

+1. Bonucci was flawless, as was Barzagli.

I think Italy NT in 2006 was better than the current one about single players but them didn't play so well as Prandelli's NT. Maybe because Lippi is a fan of really italian "catenaccio" style, i don't know.. But the collective football expressed from this NT is the best i can remember at least into the last 15 years (obv i'm talking only about various Italians NTs). Dominate two big teams as England and Germany in that way, with that football style.. just wow, can't remember something similar from our NT.

About this Prandelli has a lot of merits, we can also lose in final but anyway we will come back home with the head hight and proud to the football we showed. Thanks Mister :)

Re: The Italy Thread - Forza Azzurri! - "Un’Italia da 7"

Even if Italy win the final I can't see Pirlo winning the Golden Ball. Just look at past results. Xavi and Wesley in 2010. Unfortunately, it has become a popularity contest. Thus, I seeing him finishing 3rd behind CR and Messi. One of those two will win it.

if Italy win this cup, Pirlo has great chance to win Golden ball, Messi won nothing last season, CR won the title, but Pirlo won the title with Juve and basicly is the brain of one of the EURO finalists...

if he don´t win it, it´s just a popularity contest imho.

Buffon should be nominated as well, about time a GK wins this price.

I think Italy NT in 2006 was better than the current one about single players but them didn't play so well as Prandelli's NT. Maybe because Lippi is a fan of really italian "catenaccio" style, i don't know.. But the collective football expressed from this NT is the best i can remember at least into the last 15 years (obv i'm talking only about various Italians NTs). Dominate two big teams as England and Germany in that way, with that football style.. just wow, can't remember something similar from our NT.

About this Prandelli has a lot of merits, we can also lose in final but anyway we will come back home with the head hight and proud to the football we showed. Thanks Mister :)
i agree about prandelli, but i don't know if this is the best italy team (in a tournament) we've seen.
2006 italy was a great team and certainly not a defensive-minded team (little note: catenaccio died in 1990 and no team, italian or foreign, has deployed it ever since). also zoff's italy was a fantastic team to watch, and much, much better than this one (although that's only fair, as this italy team is still a young and immature creature).

having said that, it's always fantastic to witness prandelli's magic at work, and yesterday was no exception. it was an absolutely brilliant performance from the team and the individuals. i really did not expect us to be in such a good shape.
Zeem said:
You think Prandelli will drop one of the defenders to put back Maggio? I think this setup yesterday worked really well.
he most definitely will. balzaretti was wonderful on the right side, but chiellini was absolutely rubbish (arguably the only player whose performance wasn't good yesterday). he's in no condition to play, so i believe against spain balza will take back his spot on the left and one between abate and maggio will be lined up on the right.
Ciao azzurri, Ce l'hai fatta!!! Bennissimo! Aspetavo di vedere la partita oggi ma non è stato possibile, ma ci vediamo la domenica sera! Aspetto di celebrare assieme una bella partita! Tanti auguri a tutti!

Hey peole, congrats for achieving the final. The first match between us was one of the best of the tournament. I'm sure we will watch another great match on sunday and we can celebrate football above everythimg else. I wish you a lot of luck guys, you"re great!
yup, the first match between us was amazing and i got a feeling the final is gonna be even more entertaining.
y buena suerte por la final, alexis! :))
Good luck to the final neighbours (over the sea :P) ;)
thanks christos... and btw, we're much more than just "neighbors" ;)
And no love for Olivia?
true, that was another very good performance by monto. i'd love to see him keep it up.
Milanista said:
like I mentioned before, Cassano starts because he's capable of 10 seconds of magic that no other Italian player can deliver. He did this and we scored the first goal. Proud of Fantantonio - close to death 6 months ago, and now contributing to the Euro final.
true. then again no one in his right mind would question cassano's skill. what i did question was his phisical shape, wich was a reasonalbe concern since he didn't exactly play up to his standards so far. gotta say it though, that dribbling and (perfect) cross he put in for balotelli yesterday litterally blew my mind.... i almost forgot what cassano can do wen he's inspired :WORSHIP:

E DAJE RAGà CHE SEMO N' FINALEEE!!!!! :BOP::BOP::BOP:

Last edited:

Maybe Balzaretti for Maggio

Come on ITALIA!
Now you are world's only hope to stop "pass-pass-pass" football.
Passion instead of boredom!

And it would be nice to realize that our NT have beaten Euro champions in the last friendly :COOL:

so chiellini is playing on the left and balzaretti is on the bench.
seriously what the fuck is wrong with prandelli!!! balzaretti is one of the classiest, most humble and low profile football players i've ever seen. i've never even seen him raise his voice or even just make an angry look...
so what could he had possibly done to prandelli to deserve such bullshit. un-fucking-believable!
sorry for my rudeness guys, but this constant disrespect for such an amazing player is seriously pissing me off.
we're gonna play against the best team on the planet tonight... we're supposed to line up our best players for God's sake!

I knew he would drop Balzaretti. It would have really surprised me to drop Chiellini and that's why I asked a few posts above. Chiellini, Barzagli, and Bonucci have been having a great tournament and the chemistry between them is really good. I understand dropping Balzaretti as Chiellini could close spaces and keep up with Silva who is not that fast. And he's not that bad going forward. Not as good as Balzaretti but he did pass to Cassano on that first goal so give him that.

And wow just heard a rumor that Prandelli might quit if Italy win the tournament and return to club coaching.

i disagree on that zeem. chiellini has a great understanding and chemistry with bonucci and barzagli...... that is when he's lined up as a cb. playing as a leftback is a completely different thing, and in that role, there shouldn't even be competition between balzaretti and chiellini.
chiellini is off role there, as he isn't a leftback anymore..... and even the old chiellini (the chiellini leftback) didn't even come close to balzaretti, who is one of the best leftbacks in europe.

truth is chiellini was awful against germany, while balzaretti has been, along with pirlo, marchisio, de rossi and bonucci, the best performing player for italy thus far.

and as for your point, i really don't think chiellini (in his current form) can control silva (or navas). besides, as we've already proved, the best way to face spain is by trying to play your football and not by trying to contain them.
the sidebacks are the engine of our team. without pushing sidebacks pirlo's game becomes much less effective.

i'm sorry but i can't see any logic in this move. i believe this is gonna be a huge mistake.

Last edited:

I agree.

Unless he's planning to have more CBs to secure his area and let the midfield/offensive players do their business?

Maybe he knows Spain don't play wide and keep trying to penetrate from the middle so thinking the more CBs the merrier? Plus taking into account the chemistry you mentioned.

Then maybe later introduce Balzaretti when Navas is in?

Only God knows what he's thinking.

I agree.

Unless he's planning to have more CBs to secure his area and let the midfield/offensive players do their business?

the thing is attacking is also the sidebacks' business in this team. besides, if you're looking for better coverage along the left side your best shot is still balzaretti. chiellini is a very good cb, but defending from the sideback's perspective is a completely different kinda job (and balzaretti is much better than chiellini at that job).
... plus balzaretti is as good at defending as he is at attacking.

Ben, as much as I think Balzaretti has been superb, I think Abate will do a good job too. Chiellini playing as left back is about 70% the player he is as CB, but I think Prandelli wants to control Spain's tridente like against Germany.

Ben, as much as I think Balzaretti has been superb, I think Abate will do a good job too. Chiellini playing as left back is about 70% the player he is as CB, but I think Prandelli wants to control Spain's tridente like against Germany.
yeah, but u see that's the point, even assuming that's prandelli's plan (to get an edge in terms of coverage), who would u trust more on the left side, balza or chiello?
like u said chiellini on the left side is 70% of the player he is as a cb.... and the chiellini we saw against germany is 30% of the player we usually get to see (wich is normal, as his recovery was very rushed... i've never seen anyone recovering from a strain in 1 week).

my point is balza not only attacks MUCH better than chiellini, but he also defends better than him (i mean on the left side: like i said, defending as a sideback and defending as a cb are 2 different things).

i don't know, i'm quite disappointed to be honest, and i'm also a bit worried this choice my cost us (not only in terms of offensive potential, but also in terms of coverage and marking).
anyway u guys seem to be optimistic, so let's hope chiello comes up with a spectacular performance..... or at least let's hope he's in better shape than he was 3 days ago against germany. :)) still i can't help but feel bad for balza. he really doesn't deserve such a harsh treatment.

as for abate, i also believe he'll do a good job. afterall i wouldn't wan balza to steal abate's or maggio's spot. i would like to see either abate or maggio on the right and balza on the left. :))

Last edited:

I wouldn't say I'm optimistic, but I'm proud. I think Spain will wake up and play a completely different game to their last 3 games. I feel that Spain will surprise everyone, as people are already writing them off - so I'm afraid will edge this win and play with confidence and control.

Either way, Italy has improved so much to restore Italy's reputation.

to be honest with u, i couldn't care less about italy's reputation :P i'm just glad we're watching some good football :))

as for the game itself, i also consider spain as favourites, but i do believe we have a decent chance to beat them, as long as we don't get too worried and stick to our football.
anyway see ya guys and FORZA AZZURRI!!! :))

i feel sorry for Italian supporters who believed.. congratulations for great tournament..and medals, this team has lot of potential, but also you need to think of new generation..

Balzaretti should have start instead of not 100% fit Chielini imho..that was one potential sub wasted

Well done guys, amazing tournament. I don't care if we lost 10-0, I'm so proud to be Italian. We proved the whole world wrong by playing great football. We beat one of the favourites (Germany) and made Spain shit themselves (in the group stage) that they had to kick it up for the final.

Well done Spain - world beaters.

Well... You guys played well, had your chances just like the Spanish team but they scored and you didn't. 3rd one goes in and that's it for you, all over.

Thanks for a good tourney from the Italians and good luck on your next one!

:( Unlucky lads, just one of those days where nothing went right for you lot.

Congrats, your boys were very tired today. It was obvious. Prandelli managed a little miracle with those players( very unfit people everywhere).

I think there was a general sensation that after beating Germany, the team felt that they had achieved what they wanted - recognition and an identity. Well, that's how I felt. :D

It was an 'injusticia' after the good italian EURO, the team was humiliated by spanish, the match could end 6-0 if it lasted 10 minutes more. I saw too many big teams completely burned in this tournament (in order: Netherlands, France, Germany and Italy), fixtures needs to be changed.

Balzaretti was one of the best left back of tournament, while Abate was the worst. Like lo zio said, coach had to start with 2 sidebacks like Balzaretti and Maggio, since he had a good match against Alba in the first match.
It will be interesting to see the future of this team, since half squad will be over 30 in 2014.

Chiellini was the archilles-heel of Italy's defense, he was just too slow.

Iniesta was the death-angel dribbling perfectly and then making his trademark-killerpasses that opened up Italy's defense for the first two goals.

Italy could have scored in the first half but Balotelli returned to his bad playing. One day he can become a good striker but he needs to get faster and his dribbling needs major work as well. Whenever he had the ball, he lost it easily or made bad passes, and whenever a throughpass was made to him he was too slow to make anything out of it.

Pirlo was not so effective today, he seemed tired.

Prandelli made then the tactical mistake to sub in all 3 players at once which forced Italy to play with 10 players for most of the second half.

The last two goals were due to Italy having one player less on the pitch.

Italy lost today to a Spain-team that was better and that played direct and enjoyable football.

I'm sure Italy will grow on this experience and become even better in the coming tournaments. Thanks for the great performance in this tournament.

Back
Top Bottom