HTC Mobile Phones Thread

T Mobile gives you 3gb unlimited data on the Desire and Sony Ericsson X10 I believe.

Did it? I was out all day...

No it wasn't mate. The Google I/O conference lasts for two days. May 19th and May 20th. Today is the Android day so they will be discussing FroYo's release, Adobe Flash 10.1 and Android game development. Also the next update after FroYo, Gingerbread is slated for a Q4 2010 release.

When is the EVO 4G out?

June 4th in the I think. US only. Found out last week that its a CDMA only handset so it wont work in the UK where we have GSM. The bastards. No we have to wait for HTC to make a 3G/HSDPA GSM only version for Europe, Asia and Africa which could be months from now. I would have picked it up in a flash especially after the FroYo 2.2 announcement but if they dont hurry up I will end up with the iPhone 4 next month.

I hadn't put an updated Rom on my TP2 since January, have felt of late it wasn't working as it could performance wise, so I just put Energy.RHODIUM.21903.Sense2.5.Cookie.May.13 onto it, fantastic improvement, looks really good and really fast and smooth now :)

June 4th in the I think. US only. Found out last week that its a CDMA only handset so it wont work in the UK where we have GSM. The bastards. No we have to wait for HTC to make a 3G/HSDPA GSM only version for Europe, Asia and Africa which could be months from now. I would have picked it up in a flash especially after the FroYo 2.2 announcement but if they dont hurry up I will end up with the iPhone 4 next month.

:(( Gutted

Well chuffed with the official FroYo news... especially the official tethering as i was about to root the phone to get it.

Now i can sell my (new! doh!) MiFi unit and cancel my '3' contract.

Problem being is how long will HTC take to update their devices to froyo 2.2? Anything longer than 3 months i might aswell root the damn thing considering ive got very little storage space left.

I was too but I just found a possible answer to the EVO 4G in my opinion:

The Samsung Galaxy S!

Samsung-Galaxy-S-Sports-The-Fastest-GPU-In-Android-Phones.jpg

SPECIFICATION

Samsung Galaxy S
4.0 inch Super AMOLED Screen (800x480) - 20% brighter, 80% less reflective, 20% more battery efficient.
1GHZ ARM Cortex A8 CPU.
PowerVR SGX540 GPU - 4x more powerful than the Nexus One, 3x more powerful than iPhone 3GS.
512MB RAM.
8GB or 16GB built in flash storage.
Micro SD slot up to 32GB.
5MP rear camera with 720P HD video recording.
Front facing VGA camera for video calling.
Worlds first DivxHD certified mobile phone. Supports MKV file format too.
Android 2.1 with confirmed upgrade to Android 2.2.
Bluetooth 3.0.
1500mah battery.
Launching this June.

YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S - Official Demo

YouTube - Samsung I9000 Galaxy S demo video - Take 2

Its between this, the Dell Mini 5/Streak or the iPhone 4 as the next phone for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
dont bother with teh Dell Mini 5. i have one in my work place and its bigger than a psp original.

its more of a tablet pc/iPad clone then a phone plus its running android 1.6

dont bother with teh Dell Mini 5. i have one in my work place and its bigger than a psp original.

its more of a tablet pc/iPad clone then a phone plus its running android 1.6

Yeah your right it does seem quite big. I was wondering if I would look like a twat when making a call! But that large screen is tempting especially when browsing the web.

Just installing FroYo now :COOL:

Edit: :SHOCK: RIDICULOUSLY fast!!

hopefully the desire one comes out soon! Although I'm not too bothered cos its not like i need something new. As it is, the Desire is a pretty good phone

Is it the official release?

Downloaded from Google's repo, yep. Although they haven't "officially" dropped it via OTA but it is the final as it's the link that's being given to developers ;)

Flash works really well, Kongregate is superb :)

How do Flash games work Dags? Also is there noticeable performance increase (450%) in the new update? May have to return to an Android phone soon as they really are cutting edge at the moment.

Downloaded from Google's repo, yep. Although they haven't "officially" dropped it via OTA but it is the final as it's the link that's being given to developers ;)

Flash works really well, Kongregate is superb :)

What about facebook games? Does bejewelled run ok? Or anything from mini clip?

Moving around the phone menus now is sooo quick!

The games I tried at Kongregate worked well, Miniclip was a bit hit and miss though. Some just didn't even load, some worked perfectly.

Bejeweled wasn't great as it didn't open in a dedicated window so trying to move gems caused the screen to move.

There does seem to be a little slowdown when Flash adverts are playing too but not major.

The browser itself feels miles quicker to load and navigate with. Zipping around between apps and menus is seamless. I thought it was fast on 2.1 and wasn't sure it could be much faster but it definately is.

Battery is maybe better. Before bed, I had 43%, I've just been trying Flash games and messing with the phone for half an hour and still on 37%.

Edit: Just read that Flash isn't hardware accelerated yet, which explains a lot.

The battery life had fucking better be increased. It can't be fucking decreased that's for sure, it's woeful.

The battery life had fucking better be increased. It can't be fucking decreased that's for sure, it's woeful.
Turn internet off and syncing every 2seconds ;)

Mines at 65% as of now and took it off the charger at 7am.

seriously considering a desire now.

girlfriend wants to have the 3gs (and offered me 200€ for it...;) ) and i want something new. can't be bothere to wait for the 4g and pay what, 800? for it just because a fucking apple is printed on there. :)

is there a dock for the desire, i'd like to keep it next to my bed. integrated mp3-player, a good one? it's running android right, what version and can i simply upgrade to the possible new releases? wifi compatiblity, the iphone automatically logs into my wireless network once i enter the house, how does the desire handle this? how is the on-screen-keyboard? and how is the integrated browser? :)

thanks for helping me out here guys :D

I will buy myself a desire too, OPM, probably tomorrow (today). I read all reviews and had a look at it at the phone store today, amazing thing. a lot of people told me to give iphone a go but this is likely never going to happen. :)

from what I know, the browser is damn fast and great. just google a bit and you will find all answers for your questions.

seriously considering a desire now.

girlfriend wants to have the 3gs (and offered me 200€ for it...;) ) and i want something new. can't be bothere to wait for the 4g and pay what, 800? for it just because a fucking apple is printed on there. :)

is there a dock for the desire, i'd like to keep it next to my bed. integrated mp3-player, a good one? it's running android right, what version and can i simply upgrade to the possible new releases? wifi compatiblity, the iphone automatically logs into my wireless network once i enter the house, how does the desire handle this? how is the on-screen-keyboard? and how is the integrated browser? :)

thanks for helping me out here guys :D

Its not good specifically on your points above! It is a great phone though and I swapped myself from a 3G and think all round its a better device as a phone.

1) Dock - not that I have seen

2) MP3 Player - I downloaded another off the marketplace and it works fine tbf. Speaker on the desire is poor though, so headphones needed

3) It runs Android, plus HTCs own 'Touch' which is a skin over the top. Because of this, new Android releases arent immediately put onto the Desire as HTC have to integrate it with Touch.

4) Wifi works fine and you can drop a handy widget onto the home screens to easily allow you to turn this (and Bluetooth/GPS) on and off with a click

5) On screen keyboard is awful IMO (coming from an iPhone), the keys are far too small and too sensitive. You can download other keyboards though (which you couldnt on iPhone) and I currently use one where you drag your finger over the letters instead of typing and it recognises the word you want - very clever!

6) Browser is very good, quick and when you zoom in, it refloats all the text onto the screen, so no constant panning/zooming.

As I put above, unfortunately that sounds like a list of bad things, but its just small things that dont really affect my use of the phone.

I listen to music loads through the Desire with Bluetooth headphones and it sounds great. THe new keyboard makes typing a breeze.

The Desire is far more customisable than the iPhone, so you should be able to set it up to do exactly what you want - the new 2.2 update (FroYo) is also meant to speed things up even more, which I cannot wait to see as the phone is rapid at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom