[General Discussion] What have you been playing this week?

Have kept going with Watch Dogs which I really like.
Also almost finished another season on 2k20 ,struggling to make the playoffs ,I'm in at 6th with 12 games left.

Back to Death Stranding DC. I think this one will finally have a place on my Top 3 games of all time alongside Bloodlines and The Witcher 3.

I'm grinding away on my Watch Dogs which I've come to like a lot.
Got two different careers going on 2k20-21(weirdly enough I'm not playing 22 even though it's great)

With the RG going on I had the itch again to play a tennis game. TS4 was always my favourite but even though it's still great it doesn't represent perfectly the modern tennis (too many long rallies in TS4, limited players base, etc). So I've decided to give AO Tennis 2 another chance. Spend a few hours customising everything, setting and trying the sliders on every court and downloading everything that is available online. I think the game has improved greatly with the recent patches and it's an absolute joy to see the AI making unforced errors even at times it's not under heavy pressure.
Net play it's still a bit off and awkward but I can live with that as nowadays net rushing isn't a major part of tennis like it was many years ago.
That said, I'm finally having fun with a tennis game while waiting for Tennis Elbow 4 to get out of EA by the end of 2023.

I just finished Watch Dogs last night ,did almost every side quest as well.
Loved it ,great story ,great voice acting.
Very underated game

Never got into any Watch Dogs. Sleeping Dogs on the other hand - probably very basic today but an absolute classic all the same.

Never got into any Watch Dogs. Sleeping Dogs on the other hand - probably very basic today but an absolute classic all the same.
I'm curious on those games for sure ,might pick them up (there's more than one Sleeping Dogs right)

One thing that stood out for me with WD is that the city , Chicago felt alive ,not many open world games do

After playing the game of Lambing for almost a month, I have now aquired Sniper Elite 5 (PS5) and am playing it with my friend who has it on PS4. It's absolutely the best of these games and so well updated that I think going back to previous versions would be very tough at this point. Has a nice Dualsense system where half pressing the trigger is third person aiming, and full pressing is scope/iron sights. Also the cross gen play seems quite good. I couldn't invite my friend into my game when we first tried but he tried to invite me and the connection was almost instant so we have stuck to that. It's also just fun to shoot Nazis in the head and bollocks, innit? Next gen visuals are maybe not much more than decent and the cut-scenes are absolute dog shit but the gameplay is very satisfying.

Comparing these two games, although the Lambing one will be more lucrative for me in the long run, Sniper Elite 5 is far less stressful.

20220511_111548.jpgSE5-StandardEdition.jpg

Last edited:
Retro:
Virtua Pro Football and WE5FE
Not Retro:
God of War PS4 on PS5 (game changer with the console)

Brought MK11 PS5 enhanced -60% : will try this week too. Loved the 9 and 10

With the RG going on I had the itch again to play a tennis game. TS4 was always my favourite but even though it's still great it doesn't represent perfectly the modern tennis (too many long rallies in TS4, limited players base, etc). So I've decided to give AO Tennis 2 another chance. Spend a few hours customising everything, setting and trying the sliders on every court and downloading everything that is available online. I think the game has improved greatly with the recent patches and it's an absolute joy to see the AI making unforced errors even at times it's not under heavy pressure.
Net play it's still a bit off and awkward but I can live with that as nowadays net rushing isn't a major part of tennis like it was many years ago.
That said, I'm finally having fun with a tennis game while waiting for Tennis Elbow 4 to get out of EA by the end of 2023.
I went on a Tennis kick recently but not sim, I barely know anything about Tennis so I prefer to play more arcade, casual titles.

I recently discovered Super Tennis Blast from the makers of Super Soccer Blast and it's so much fun playing with my daughter. There's even some house rules such as the court and net dynamically changing shape and size to keep you on your toes among other fun modifiers.

The other I've been revisiting is Virtua Tennis 4 - I finally got this up and running on my PC as it originally was only compatible with Games for Windows so doesn't work on modern OS unless you run a few tweaks.

The game is gorgeous graphically, has that nostalgic SEGA seaside arcade charm on the menu's and soundtrack and again, if you're not too fussed about the realism of tennis, it's a great casual affair.
I just finished Watch Dogs last night ,did almost every side quest as well.
Loved it ,great story ,great voice acting.
Very underated game
I've got to get back on this, I started it when you was talking about this a couple of months ago. I have a real bad habit of starting so many new games at once, because old and new games are more accessible then ever now, I'm trying something new everyday but never have the time to commit.

I did like the more grounded presentation of this one compared to its edgy and cringe sequals from what i've played of it so far.

I went on a Tennis kick recently but not sim, I barely know anything about Tennis so I prefer to play more arcade, casual titles.

I recently discovered Super Tennis Blast from the makers of Super Soccer Blast and it's so much fun playing with my daughter. There's even some house rules such as the court and net dynamically changing shape and size to keep you on your toes among other fun modifiers.

The other I've been revisiting is Virtua Tennis 4 - I finally got this up and running on my PC as it originally was only compatible with Games for Windows so doesn't work on modern OS unless you run a few tweaks.

The game is gorgeous graphically, has that nostalgic SEGA seaside arcade charm on the menu's and soundtrack and again, if you're not too fussed about the realism of tennis, it's a great casual affair.

I've got to get back on this, I started it when you was talking about this a couple of months ago. I have a real bad habit of starting so many new games at once, because old and new games are more accessible then ever now, I'm trying something new everyday but never have the time to commit.

I did like the more grounded presentation of this one compared to its edgy and cringe sequals from what i've played of it so far.
It's really dark and gritty ,don't think any mission got boring or repetitive either.
Really good game.
Despite it being cheasy ,which I can see past (wish they had kept the darkness of first WD) I bought WD 2 and looking fw to play it soon

I'm curious on those games for sure ,might pick them up (there's more than one Sleeping Dogs right)

One thing that stood out for me with WD is that the city , Chicago felt alive ,not many open world games do

Sadly only one Sleeping Dogs, and the developers have scattered to the four winds so a sequel is out of the question.

Sadly only one Sleeping Dogs, and the developers have scattered to the four winds so a sequel is out of the question.
Sleeping Dogs was a fun game, it's a sandbox game sure & it's gunplay & driving is a bit janky but it's main gimmick is its combat. At the time it was inspired by Batman Arkham games & since that style has been incorporated into many action sandbox games like Spiderman PS4.

Being that it's a PS3 gen title, it's city is just the right size. Before PS4 gen games had this fetish of massive open worlds and cities with bloat & nothing to do in them, this game is closer to the earlier GTA's in terms of recognizable districts and a reasonable time reaching various destinations.

Really good story too.

Not today, but i discovered Virtua Tennis 2. I was very strong at the 1st, but that one... The AI when i reached quarter final was super hard and unpredictable.

Now, i understand why in the rankings, they put often Virtua Tennis 2 just after Top Spin 4 for the "Best Tennis Game OAT"

The game is fun as hell and got tons of variety, looks like a PES PS2 but for Tennis : i got the same feeling.
Nothing like the 3 and the 4 : you can forgot those ones.

Not today, but i discovered Virtua Tennis 2. I was very strong at the 1st, but that one... The AI when i reached quarter final was super hard and unpredictable.

Now, i understand why in the rankings, they put often Virtua Tennis 2 just after Top Spin 4 for the "Best Tennis Game OAT"

The game is fun as hell and got tons of variety, looks like a PES PS2 but for Tennis : i got the same feeling.
Nothing like the 3 and the 4 : you can forgot those ones.
Yeah I also played this one recently on the Dreamcast emulator. Even then, this game looked fantastic visual and animation wise, as most Dreamcast games did.

Even for an arcade game, you really felt the weight of your racquet move through your controller with each shot. It's wonderful.

Yes, it's a mix of Arcade in terms of controls, but you can make long exchanges like on a real match.
Perfect balance between accessibility and variety/difficulty.
Plus, there's a lot of moves and the ball physics is very realistic. Even the players movements are credible, not like the inertia in Top Spin but just perfect for the game dynamism, and not super-human at all.

Yes, it's a mix of Arcade in terms of controls, but you can make long exchanges like on a real match.
Perfect balance between accessibility and variety/difficulty.
Plus, there's a lot of moves and the ball physics is very realistic. Even the players movements are credible, not like the inertia in Top Spin but just perfect for the game dynamism, and not super-human at all.
VT2 was a decent game but the physics were absent. When we're talking about physics in a tennis videogame it's all about ball physics and variety in ball placement. VT2 doesn't have this, even TS4 is limited. The only games that you can hit the ball almost everywhere in the pitch are Tennis Elbow and AO Tennis 2.
Long rallies are a thing of the past in tennis and happen mainly when both players decide to play it safe and especially when there's a 5 set decider. You won't see any long rallies between Djokovic and Nadal. You'll see some, like yesterday, between Ruud and Rune.
In general it's not very difficult for devs to create a good tennis game but most of them don't hire people with knowledge of the sport. 2k can go hire the Tennis Elbow dev and in just 1 year, with the resources they have, they can release a great game. Most of these companies underestimate the clientele out there. A good tennis videogame will sell millions of copies.

Every-time i talk tennis game someone came and talk about about Tennis Elbow lol. I found it cool but not fun, and as a complete game > i place the two others above as a complete games. Just my own feeling, but i'm quickly bored with Tennis Elbow.

They're more fun to play, and got a soul let's say, overall. Final Match Tennis and Super Tennis got also more ball directions, but not power, feeling, curve etc. as the other. Yes ball placement is very very important, but ball reaction/physics is too, people seems to forget about it.

What i don't like in tennis Elbow 2013 and + is that they've added so much stuff on a very basic engine that you can feel it to the heart: a good game, but too, too much stretched in every part if you know what i mean. I can feel it and don't like it that much.
BUT it's my own feeling, my personnal opinion. I'm not alone thinkin that, many place Tennis Elbow 3rd etc.

As a complete package, fun and physics i prefers the two others.
AO Tennis is apart, let's say that it's missing fun too. And i don't understand how much there's assistances in the vanilla game : desactivated it's ain't more complicated than Top Spin... Just the fact that you play online against people with everything activated disgust me : even the player positionning. You can pose your gamepad on the table practically lol.

Never tried the 2 btw, but i will probably took the AO 3. But tests and everything says all that for the moment, even that one doesn't reach Top Spin overall as a complete tennis game.

The issue is that i discovered the game when it was bad too, before tons of updates which completely changed the game. But it's not in terms of "complete + fun" on Top Spin level.
VT2 is pretty different in terms of feeling so hard to compare, but you can compare AO with TS4.

I think it's more the guys from AO or even the World tour Tennis (bad game but with a good ambiance/presentation and the rest + and some idea) who probably needs the guy(s) from Tennis Elbow. 2K Czech is kinda dead, the producers have stopped a long time ago... Due to the awful Gran Slam Tennis which took all the licences / EA style.

Last edited:
Every-time i talk tennis game someone came and talk about about Tennis Elbow lol. I found it cool but not fun, and as a complete game > i place the two others above as a complete games. Just my own feeling, but i'm quickly bored with Tennis Elbow.

They're more fun to play, and got a soul let's say, overall. Final Match Tennis and Super Tennis got also more ball directions, but not power, feeling, curve etc. as the other. Yes ball placement is very very important, but ball reaction/physics is too, people seems to forget about it.

What i don't like in tennis Elbow 2013 and + is that they've added so much stuff on a very basic engine that you can feel it to the heart: a good game, but too, too much stretched in every part if you know what i mean. I can feel it and don't like it that much.
BUT it's my own feeling, my personnal opinion. I'm not alone thinkin that, many place Tennis Elbow 3rd etc.

As a complete package, fun and physics i prefers the two others.
AO Tennis is apart, let's say that it's missing fun too. And i don't understand how much there's assistances in the vanilla game : desactivated it's ain't more complicated than Top Spin... Just the fact that you play online against people with everything activated disgust me : even the player positionning. You can pose your gamepad on the table practically lol.

Never tried the 2 btw, but i will probably took the AO 3. But tests and everything says all that for the moment, even that one doesn't reach Top Spin overall as a complete tennis game.

The issue is that i discovered the game when it was bad too, before tons of updates which completely changed the game. But it's not in terms of "complete + fun" on Top Spin level.
VT2 is pretty different in terms of feeling so hard to compare, but you can compare AO with TS4.

I think it's more the guys from AO or even the World tour Tennis (bad game but with a good ambiance/presentation and the rest + and some idea) who probably needs the guy(s) from Tennis Elbow. 2K Czech is kinda dead, the producers have stopped a long time ago... Due to the awful Gran Slam Tennis which took all the licences / EA style.
2K Czech devs moved to Hangar 13. Afaik they'll announce the development of a tennis game in the next few months. Most probably it's going to be Top Spin 5 or a full reboot of the series.

3 free demo's on steam.

Gunner, HEAT, PC
Metal Hellsinger
and Anger Foot.

Anger Foot is also an FPS but with more relaxing music. 😏
Gunner, HEAT, PC seems like a Arma without infantery but only tanks with smaller maps. For Arma intusyast's worse a try.

Back
Top Bottom