FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

Football games have been on the slide since online play became the primary focus. Throw E-Sports and micro-transactions into the mix and these games became even more of a low-effort, yearly cash-grab than they were before.

I agree; football games are finished as *we* knew them. There's no money in trying to create a faithful simulation of the world's leading sport. It's sad.
The only thing that makes me sad about what is happening in the last posts is that none of the players are ever going to appreciate the development that is happening. All I see is crying, moaning and nothing else. The game is for sale and whoever wants can buy it or not buy it. If someone thinks that can make a better game, can try it. Otherwise play UFL or the amazing efootball which is FREE and you can play crossplay matches with your friends. They have fix it right? Its almost a year since they upload it in the official webpage. Cheers and get better.

The only thing that makes me sad about what is happening in the last posts is that none of the players are ever going to appreciate the development that is happening. All I see is crying, moaning and nothing else.
No one is trying to deny the development that is happening, I guess... It's just that it is going in a different direction than the one we (the "long time" supporters of the franchise) would love to. That's all.
We'd love a football game to... Well... Look and play like football. Not like Rocket League (but without cars).

And this is valid for eFootball, for FIFA, for UFL... When the main focus shifted from "solid gameplay against the AI" (because broadband Internet wasn't a thing back then, so they needed to provide a decent experience offline for their game to succeed) to "let's try and see how many goalfests can we achieve in 10 matches, as this is what the online/stream crowd wants", we knew it would never turn back.
Unfortunatelty, we're growing older and playing less... And the younger people that are, inevitably, replacing us have a different point of view. It would be foolish for the publishers not to listen to them as they're the ones who ultimately splash the cash in FUT packs, Twitch subscriptions and such.

I mean, let's be honest: as an audience, would you rather see a totally end-to-end match packed with action that ends 4-4 (with Mbappé scoring a hat-trick for either side and Maradona coming back from wherever he is now to score a free kick), or a dull 0-0 draw between Torquay United and Morecambe?
I think we both know the answer.

That's the reason why games are so doomed now (or, at least, why we consider them so).

I think that is one of the things, it is hard making a football game, like even when we had more choices like This is Football, each game had it's struggles. Yes we had some classics, but without Retro Glasses, some of them also are just okay to today's standards. I think the big challenge is also the more successful you are the harder it is to cater to everyone. Football is not a niche game and while we for example want a very realistic sim, the kid in the Messi jersey just wants to shoot nice goals. I mean when I was a teenager and played Fifa 99 all I wanted to do is win high with my favourite players. It is different needs and no side is really right or wrong. Sliders theoretically should be a help there, but I think they need to go deeper. Still I believe the problem of football games is they have to cater to a broad audience, from the football fanatic who wants the most realistic experience to the casual player who just wants nice goals. If you think about what all the licenses cost, you need a broad audience.

But I have to say I miss the times where you had more choices be it TIF, Virtua Soccer, Football kingdom and more.

Sliders theoretically should be a help there, but I think they need to go deeper. Still I believe the problem of football games is they have to cater to a broad audience, from the football fanatic who wants the most realistic experience to the casual player who just wants nice goals.
I don't know what you mean with "deeper" but I surely think some of them shouldn't be "global" but on a "per team" basis:
  • The "global sliders" section (pass error, shot error, GK ability) would apply to every team in the game as it is now, but...
  • Some sliders (line settings, marking, width) should be moved to the tactical options we can choose for a team (and maybe we could even enhance the selection by adding buildup speed, preferred pass type and such).
    • If we were to do it even better, we should also be able to save a number of "slider set templates" which could be applied to teams, to use if we didn't want to edit sliders on a strict per-team basis.

Even reddit is aware how atrocious the midfield and the defense line is. Look at the gap! You can fit the entire solar system there!!

j384ur4su4e91.png

Even reddit is aware how atrocious the midfield and the defense line is. Look at the gap! You can fit the entire solar system there!!

j384ur4su4e91.png
Good spot, and what a relief to see others talking about it. We need more "mainstream" / online players to notice this. It's the only way it'll change. Same with Twitter.

What are the great new additions worth if that's still what the midfield looks like, every game?

Good spot, and what a relief to see others talking about it. We need more "mainstream" / online players to notice this. It's the only way it'll change. Same with Twitter.

What are the great new additions worth if that's still what the midfield looks like, every game?
Geez and I thought it couldn't get any worse.

This spacing problem is talked about even by the online community, but nothing has been done. The online community complains about having too many players inside the penalty area, while the offline community talks about the space between the midfield and the penalty area.

La Romareda, the epicenter of the new generation of virtual soccer

1658922443_806366_1658923249_sumario_normal.jpg

Rivera explains to the MeriStation microphone that the choice of our country is due to a series of factors. The first takes into account the team in charge of motion capture, a Spanish company called Render Motion that works closely with EA Sports for this type of work. The other two revolve around the passion and strength that soccer has in Spain.

1658922443_806366_1658923311_sumario_normal.jpg

The work was carried out during the winter at La Romareda stadium, the home of Real Zaragoza. During the presentation it was Rivera himself who shared his enthusiasm for having been able to work in such a historic setting in Spanish soccer. "When we went to the event in Zaragoza I heard rumors about what we were recording and what we were doing in the stadium. It was all secret, we couldn't tell anyone, but at the same time everyone was very excited."

1658922443_806366_1658923134_sumario_normal.jpg

The producer highlights the "incredible motivation" shown by the players on the pitch. There were four 11 vs. 11 matches, two for each category. In men's soccer, SD Teruel took on SD Brea, while in women's soccer, Real Zaragoza played against DUX Logroño. This is the first time that the study has captured women's soccer on this scale using HyperMotion technology.

How has capture been improved over FIFA 22? Rivera tells us in detail: "We wanted to do two games instead of one so we could record more data and capture more animations. Secondly, we were looking to expand into women's soccer, which is quite important and constantly growing. Third, to focus on animations and actions in soccer that may not happen as often in a match". He gives as an example a power shot, which "maybe you see three or four in a game," but they need "many more" to be able to cover the full spectrum of situations. "We must have animations that pull in all directions, from zero to 45 and 90 degrees."

To do this, they created a training plan that would lead the players to perform the specific actions they were looking for: "We created pre-match training sessions where we captured lots and lots of movements. Those workouts included two things: the first was for them to do it just like they do in their daily lives with their coaches. The second, on the other hand, was a more focused training on capturing the specifics of FIFA.

Link: https://as.com/meristation/2022/07/27/avances/1658934034_590064.html

I just watched a FUT youtuber and I realized all the problems we have. He wathced the trailer and said "They're using the Hypermotion again in FIFA 23. They used Hypermotion in FIFA 22 too and it slowed down all the gameplay. They 'fixed' that later with the patches so it won't be a problem in FUT I think." And he added that line for 10:52 in the trailer "that skill move is way more slow, they need to fast it up, if they won't speed up then it'll be useless for the FUT" and that line summerizes all the story.

Last edited:
Can't wait to play in Emirates and Etihad with damaged sunday league pitches that i'm unable to change! Is it so fucking difficult to put an option for pitch wear in career mode so everyone can put what they like..? Even Squad Battles on FUT has that option.. Someone who has social media let them know on twitter or EA forums or whatever that we need this and it's important..Maybe they'll consider it if it becomes vocal enough..I don't have social media and won't create it just for this lol.

Can't wait to play in Emirates and Etihad with damaged sunday league pitches that i'm unable to change! Is it so fucking difficult to put an option for pitch wear in career mode so everyone can put what they like..? Even Squad Battles on FUT has that option.. Someone who has social media let them know on twitter or EA forums or whatever that we need this and it's important..Maybe they'll consider it if it becomes vocal enough..I don't have social media and won't create it just for this lol.

It used to be the case if you change the setting in quick match it then carried through to career mode....

It used to be the case if you change the setting in quick match it then carried through to career mode....
I'm sure this doesn't work now..at least not anymore..i don't know if it worked in the past..
I remember last year someone tried this also and wrote here that it didn't work..
But even if it did work..it would be much more simple to just put an option in the career mode match settings..There literally is no reason why they couldn't do that and i'm amazed that they have many other bullshit settings and not something important like this..It's really an imersion killer and totally unrealistic playing in Premier League stadiums and seeing these shitty damaged turfs..

I must say i like announcement for more deflections in physic section ... I think non-football game ever made that part to work properly (even best of PES series), and many goals in real life are some sort of small or large deflection.

I don't know will they be able to impement it properly, but plus from me on even trying.

FIFA fans are delusional.

Its a card collecting game first and foremost with the addition of a minigame where you can play what seems to be a caricature of football.

I must say i like announcement for more deflections in physic section ... I think non-football game ever made that part to work properly (even best of PES series), and many goals in real life are some sort of small or large deflection.

I agree, but I'll bet that's one of the first things the Live Team (tm) will take out of the game after a couple of patches, as the children who think they are pros absolutely hate any element of chance/luck and will always blame luck for losing or conceding.

I can already imagine the outrage "OMG the semi-final of this event that no one cares about was decided by a random deflection!".

Last edited:
FIFA fans are delusional.
The more I read stuff like this on this forum, the more I ask myself if really the Fifa Community is the most toxic football gaming community.

Not every Fifa fan plays FUT or is not critical of the game. There are a lot of Career Mode players who want something different, there is the Pro Clubs Community etc.

And the reality is: unlike Konami, Fifa at least still has different game modes with all teams available, that you can play in Single Player or is trying some new things like women's leagues.

the Fifa Community is the most toxic football gaming community.

Sadly no it's not, all gaming communities, all online communities, filled with toxic people, it's a sad reflection of the times we live in. I've been online since around 1997 and been part of many communities both gaming and otherwise over the last 25 years and maybe for the last 5 or so years in particular the decline has been quite staggering.

A football game without Defence and AI helping isn't a football game.
No AI defending > No midfield or battle, just 1V1 situtation.
Also something else if there's no coherence and logic on what you do with your controller and what's happen on your TV : it's not a game.

I agree with some engine which got an In-Universe engine, but it's always related to some reality. Fifa isn't, it's just a melting pot of FUT fans and E-Sports reclaims (are E-Sports player a reference seriously? They're not even 1% of the people buying Fifa, and they got the game... For free)

Fifa 23 : 2 teams, 3v3 football game.
Really sad. Even the other beta-indie game had understand it about defence/midfield > as bad the game is especially online and limited.

Last edited:
Sadly no it's not, all gaming communities, all online communities, filled with toxic people, it's a sad reflection of the times we live in. I've been online since around 1997 and been part of many communities both gaming and otherwise over the last 25 years and maybe for the last 5 or so years in particular the decline has been quite staggering.

Yeah. People are cunts. The bigger the community, the more cunts there are. There are other variables, of course, but that's the general truth and the internet has emboldened them.

I don't think there's been such a thing as a 'FIFA fan' for a long time now. Its player base is totally divided.

Yeah, they buy it every year "by habits" but i've read all and his opposite regarding the issues or what to correct, what is good for a person is bad for the others etc.

But whatever the game is bad, they will buy it every year. Same as i was doing until Fifa 21, then i falled in the 22 NG trap.
Never again. As i don't think the game will sell less and there will be radical change on it.

It's dead for me such as football games "as they should be" but very alive for them... Damned we are.

At least keep your gambling-NFT awfull stuff but affirm your gameplay like in good old time. People will still buy the game as they're addicts / Well you may think we're in the same package talking of "Football games addicts", but it's not about football, i know tons of people who aren't really football games fans, but FUT/MyDreamClub/UFL shit junkies

Back
Top Bottom