FIFA 22 Discussion (PC Version)

Did my first 3 matches on FIFA 22 NG (Stadia). I obviously need to play more but, wow. This is truly a step forward, no doubt. Coming straight after playing the PC version trial (2x almost 20 hours and half season of CM with Benfica), I must say that what I saw as an improvement on the pc version is applied to a different level on NG. For me, the ball physics, animations, lighting, even the sound design for the matches (something that is very dear to me) is definitely something you can call next gen. It's not the perfect game or anything like that but you can feel they have been working on these new ideas to make the game feel real. Comparing with the PC version, I immediately felt better weight on the players and quite an impressive variation available for animations. There are of course lots of twitching, fast turning, absurd abrupt movements in the bag but I want to believe this is due to the technology they are using, which needs to be developed further and fine tuned. In general and if you play the game moving the players in context within the myriad of possibilities available, the animations triggered are a beauty to watch and quite better than the PC version ones (which are an improvement already). This hypermotion thing is not a gimmick at all and only by playing the game you can get a feel of it's potential and what it adds to the game, visually, technically and even tactically.

One thing that stood out for me combined with the new animation system was the ball physics. Just the way you can control the ball while building up the attack and slowly tap it forward while it bounces subtly is so refreshing! There are of course quite a few odd things happening like sudden zipped laser speed passes that travel way too fast and illogical in terms of laws of physics but as a whole, the ball feels impressively alive most of the time, I absolutely love it.

In my opinion and from the 3 games I've had so far, the AI felt vastly improved and seems to have much more variety of choices to attack/defend, and positions itself much more intelligently on the field. I guess every game reaches a point where it shows it's patterns, the more hours you play with it, but it was a joy to see that this year's game brought back (intentionally or not) the magic randomness and shuffled variation from older games (like FIFA 14,15,16). But I can be wrong since I only played 3 times anyway. If only we could see more FOULS in this game.....

I like the little touches to the match/crowd sound design: crowd roaring when you start building up the attack (specially of you need to get a goal in the last minutes) or how the crowd goes mad for a penalty not being whistled. There is more depth in the soundscape area and I am delighted about it, it adds so much to the immersion. I also noticed Auxerre had a goal song playing after they scored. Was this in previous unmodded FIFA games? Neat!

I think it will be hard to go back to the PC version after having played this version. It is a different realm for me. Also, hats off for everyone that was fighting for this to be a better game on EA's forums, it really paid off and hopefully it will get better. :WORSHIP:

I am also quite stunned by how good Stadia works: playing the game in 4K which looks really amazing (with some stutters once in a while but nothing that really breaks the fluidity too much). One negative thing though, I tried the 1080p resolution and noticed that it looks very blurry and not so good at all which is weird since the 4K stream is beautiful on my same connection.
Thanks for the detailed write up. Great to hear they’ve truly spent the time to improve all areas!

Reactions: cb7
So did you change the pitch color (X-Y-Z values) without reshade? EA removed that option last year and we just could change it with LUT Edition...
This is just reshade - a temporary work around. Really hoping EA bring the option back so you can make your great turf mods again! It’s badly needed for pc!

Looks way way better, great job. Could you please share your reshade? The vanilla colors are killing me.
Thanks man. It's not really ready for sharing as it doesn't look good at all in cut scenes etc at the moment. The best way forward will be if we can actually change the turf colour on it's own as @6ons1 has mentioned. Hopefully soon!

Reactions: SFY
@cb7 was right. FIFA 22 on Stadia 4k (Stadia Pro) worth it...but 1080p or 1440p (Stadia Pro) looks too blurry.

But now we can say "a truly nextgen football game is here". It's much better than PC version...despite of PC version this year is quite good.
Hola 6ons1 mate. A big fan of your FIFA 21 works. Can you have any idea of how to replicate EA Sports GameCam-like-camera in FIFA 21 and FIFA 22? Is it possible? I'm your Camreal 2.0 user by the way. :)

Gotta say that the thing I miss most (and maybe only) from next gen is that freaking net physics, it's so good and satisfying. For the love of God, why we didn't get that at least is beyond me :MAD: 10 old cpu could render that, not even gpu, and please don't tell me it's again hypermotion bs with net animation that enabled this in 2.0.2.1. :LMAO: what a time to be alive, you need to buy stupid console just to get that net physics :LMAO: ain't gonna happen no matter how much I like it, f*ya EA, I'll rather buy another 3080rtx. I hope this next gen bs will blow up your face one day, same as Koinami seppuku, you really deserve each other. Hopefully dice (somehow still ea right? :SHOCK:) will deliver decent bf2042 tomorrow and I can forget about it already, footy games in general ;) pardon for offtopic.

Last edited:
What difficulty is most realistic? I find Legendary random, some games are too easy with 4-0 wins and other games I enjoy to play with tough 1-1 draws. Hard to find a balance

fifa-21-ps4-customise-controls-controller-settings-attack-classic-picture-5.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg
Friends have any mod that I can change the layout of the PC controller icons. Not to be the Xbox one. More displaying like the Playstation?

What difficulty is most realistic? I find Legendary random, some games are too easy with 4-0 wins and other games I enjoy to play with tough 1-1 draws. Hard to find a balance
Because DDA starts kicking. FYI, DDA means Dynamic Difficulty Adjustments or you can say the damn SCRIPTING...

I just figured out stadia enhanced on my PC and I must say it’s a very nice step up. Resolution is great, and it really makes the graphics stand out compared to the normal PC version. Gameplay feels more natural.

Still though, with the PC version it’s still a great option, pretty close, and with some nice mods will be a solid game.

I find quite funny that since the introduction of the 1vs1 thingy, the most efficient way to defend is to avoid controlling the player engaged in a 1vs1 and instead control the defender in the area you think the ball will land, while you use second man press for the 1vs1.

I'm very used to Fifa16 defending so defending here boils down to pressing a bunch of buttons..

I'm having a hell of a time (tactical) defending and normally concede 2-3 each game, along with 6-7 other spectacular chances. I noticed a lot of CDMs have "cover wide" as the default instruction, rather than "cover middle," so my CDMs would literally walk away from a CAM with the ball and take a nice stroll towards the corner flag. Changing that helped a little, but my defenders still have low attention spans and just stop marking.

Plus, closing down, either with X for myself or having a teammate close down, doesn't really work because they are always going to the spot the attacker is currently at, not where they are going, forcing me to lose a step on the player. Any tips on defending? I've gotten around this so far by choosing better teams against weaker ones, but I think I may need to force myself to bunker and play with a less talented team going forward. In FIFA 16, I did this in a World Cup game by choosing Iceland against Argentina, and grinding out a 0-0 was oddly satisfying, but mostly because I was just mashing buttons.

I'm having a hell of a time (tactical) defending and normally concede 2-3 each game, along with 6-7 other spectacular chances. I noticed a lot of CDMs have "cover wide" as the default instruction, rather than "cover middle," so my CDMs would literally walk away from a CAM with the ball and take a nice stroll towards the corner flag. Changing that helped a little, but my defenders still have low attention spans and just stop marking.

Plus, closing down, either with X for myself or having a teammate close down, doesn't really work because they are always going to the spot the attacker is currently at, not where they are going, forcing me to lose a step on the player. Any tips on defending? I've gotten around this so far by choosing better teams against weaker ones, but I think I may need to force myself to bunker and play with a less talented team going forward. In FIFA 16, I did this in a World Cup game by choosing Iceland against Argentina, and grinding out a 0-0 was oddly satisfying, but mostly because I was just mashing buttons.
A lot of practice tbh. What difficulty are you playing? I dont really use contain bc like you said the player just always runs by. Mostly use jockey and tackle onky when you are close and sure to make contact. Once i a while teammate pressure works but just if you dont have someone nearby bc spamming it you'll get burned. Default sliders in WC against a top team for me are very sweaty situations they almost always just reach my box. With adjusted skiders it helps a lot. I still concede goals when i panick and press all buttons. Close them down with jockey.

With the 1v1s in the game, I pretty much exclusively defend now by cutting off passing lanes and repositioning my team to block channels. I do what Pap said, I use second man press to engage the ball carrier (for the most part) and I keep switching using the right stick to get my defence in a tighter configuration. Looks like NG will be much better in regards to positioning, but PC teammates are still asleep too much. With more congested lines, it's not as much of a task and it's less frustrating. I like to defend in this way anyway, but it would be really nice if our teammates were a little more aware!

A lot of practice tbh. What difficulty are you playing? I dont really use contain bc like you said the player just always runs by. Mostly use jockey and tackle onky when you are close and sure to make contact. Once i a while teammate pressure works but just if you dont have someone nearby bc spamming it you'll get burned. Default sliders in WC against a top team for me are very sweaty situations they almost always just reach my box. With adjusted skiders it helps a lot. I still concede goals when i panick and press all buttons. Close them down with jockey.
and @breezy
i dont use contain either! its mainly selecting a player behind the ball, i dont run after AI... that does only make sense in certain situations. so what i do is, trying to position my player in lanes, between AI ball holder and possible receiver or cover the receiptient. second thing i do is using jockey (that wide stance) to be ready to pick a ball from the opponents feet. i am using the jockey and the sprinter button in conjunction sometimes, but not as often as some youtube pro-players are advising. i just want a realistic match, i care about the score later.
team mate pressure i use in conjunction as well. my player at the sticks is covering the receipient and my mates put pressure on the ball holder. i like that you cant pressure forwever, that there is a limit!
so its a lot about understanding movement and the teams shape, bringing players in correct positions and patience, imo. i like that.
when (again) its advised (by yt pros) to not use the tackle button at all, i use it! its a nice risk and reward thing as you player is trapped in that animation for a sec. plus it depends how long you hold the tackle button, another small feature i like. so somtimes i lunge for a ball, because it fits the situation.
some nice steals are possible using the slide tackle button oder instant hard tackle as weel. slide tackles work well, imo. i really like to slide away some balls with good defenders. insta hard tackle is a gimmick for me. i use it rarely; for fun purposes.

edit: i flick a lot with RS to switch players i have to admit. thats another key part of my defense.

Last edited:
Are any of you guys using the new Icon Switching system? Totally forgot about that feature!

Are any of you guys using the new Icon Switching system? Totally forgot about that feature!
Nope - I don't tend to have issues with switching to the player I need!

What I am trying to use more often though is the ... I don't even know what you call it. Click the L+R sticks in when you're on the ball, flick the R stick in the direction of a teammate, and then you can control that teammate so that they can make a decent run. I quite like that.

I prefer it to the "press L1/LB and flick the stick in the direction you want your teammate to run" feature, which to me is a bit rubbish. L1/LB alone produces better runs.

Nope - I don't tend to have issues with switching to the player I need!

What I am trying to use more often though is the ... I don't even know what you call it. Click the L+R sticks in when you're on the ball, flick the R stick in the direction of a teammate, and then you can control that teammate so that they can make a decent run. I quite like that.

I prefer it to the "press L1/LB and flick the stick in the direction you want your teammate to run" feature, which to me is a bit rubbish. L1/LB alone produces better runs.
more aspects of gameplay... :APPLAUD:

bezüglich ballmitnahme... i mean, regarding "ball take-away"...!? so how you collect a ball and try to "go with it"... i use R1 (my sprint) and RS in a direction away from ball (to lay it off and follow) or R1+RS in the direction of the ball (disguised trap). RS+LS in the same direction gives nice results too.

what i learned to use in 22: when i have the ball at feet, i watch the scene and steer in the direction of a player i want to make a run. i press L1 to make that player run (in the distance) and then i release a long cross ball. you can do that multiple times... so the whole team is running forward! :D
i need to test that when combining it with flicking the LS! thx.

i really like that some new mechanics are here for me to learn! :D

edit: a lot of times i want to use RS and LS like i used them in the other game! :LOL: so RS is moving the upper body and LS the feet/direction... it aint working here! 🤣 freaking habits!

Hope the new title update doesn’t break the gameplay 😅
i'm hoping with you mate!
and even if so.... i, personally, dont care too much!
000 with sliders plays well.

ok, i dont take it that lighthearted, i want an improvement with the new patch! lots of improvements! but i can already see me not being angry or something if they f it up!

#physicalmediaftw

Last edited:
I'll be looking at it when we get the gameplay files for sure. How much can be done remains to be seen!
How long could it take before we get the gameplay files? Do you think some patch fixing fouls (if some patch) will be delivered later this year or maybe 2022?

It's so impressive how teams play like in real life and also how tactics change games . I was playing on professional against city in my league with default Liverpool sliders. They battered me all first half , constant pressure , loads of shots on goal and I couldn't get out of my half. Allison was a beast and kept it at nil nil. 2nd half I changed my tactics to attacking 4-3-3 and constant pressure and the whole game changed. I could attack , find space win the ball back higher up the field. It finished 1-1 with Robertson scoring a diving header far post before de bryne equalised late on..my players where shattered with the pressure ...this is 8.5/10 for me ..sort fouls out a bit more, I'm getting about 3 or 4 a game and AI is getting booked , and it's a 9

I believe in time we will have NG camera-like camera mods. There are very nice modders do the modding on the game. I think we already have a camera tweaking possible with Cheat Engine. I would like to learn how to do it exactly from a kind friend actually. I always prefer broadcast cam in soccer games in terms of reality but Fifa has awful broadcast cam. Too narrow. Like there is no tomorrow-narrow. I wonder who decided that in Fifa studios and said "yeah that is enough far level, just stop it here and won't let players go further" it looks like zoomed in like hell at even 0 slider level.

I am in a very indecisive position and asking myself, should I buy a PS5 just for Fifa (and some Demon's Souls also) or stop that silly thinkings and stay on my relatively high-ish end PC and wait for a camera and other good mods. I am sure EA will bring all the next-gen features to PC on Fifa 23 and will start keeping all platforms on par. My idea is this is all about forcing people to buy consoles.

Last edited:
I believe in time we will have NG camera-like camera mods. There are very nice modders do the modding on the game. I think we already have a camera tweaking possible with Cheat Engine. I would like to learn how to do it exactly from a kind friend actually. I always prefer broadcast cam in soccer games in terms of reality but Fifa has awful broadcast cam. Too narrow. Like there is no tomorrow-narrow. I wonder who decided that in Fifa studios and said "yeah that is enough far level, just stop it here and won't let players go further" it looks like zoomed in like hell at even 0 slider level.

I am in a very indecisive position and asking myself, should I buy a PS5 for just Fifa (and some Demon's Souls also) or stop that silly thinkings and stay on my relatively high-ish end PC and wait for camera and other good mods.
I debated getting next-gen too for Fifa. But once the mods start rolling out the game will probably be better than next-gen tbh so I think it will be to stay on PC

I still don't understand what is the point of those camera sliders when they don't work at all!! what a ridiculous camera system every year!! is it too much to ask EA for some workable camera sliders?

BTW @6ons1 I very much liked your Fifa 21 Camreal mod and played a lot with amazing camera angles. Firstly thank you much for this!

But there are some issues. The mod wasn't working in specific stadiums. For example in Waldstadion the camreal mod is not active and all the cam slider rates are at game's default rates. So we can only play there at game's default angles. I don't care about Waldstadion actually or any other non-working stadiums specifically but in career mode this is a bit frustrating when you go away matches, you know. You must choose an arcade camera, like Tele or Co-op cams for to play at desired far levels in these stadiums. Can you fix that if you do Camreal for Fifa 22 as well?

Last edited:
BTW @6ons1 I very much liked your Fifa 21 Camreal mod and played a lot with amazing camera angles. Firstly thank you much for this!

But there are some issues. The mod wasn't working in specific stadiums. For example in Waldstadion the camreal mod is not active and all the cam slider rates are at game's default rates. So we can only play there at game's default angles. I don't care about Waldstadion actually or any other non-working stadiums specifically but in career mode this is a bit frustrating when you go away matches, you know. You must choose an arcade camera, like Tele or Co-op cams for to play at desired far levels in these stadiums. Can you fix that if you do Camreal for Fifa 22 as well?
Thank you for the feeback. I'll take note to widen the height/zoom range in that stadium. No problem.

Here the first test

Now I'm testing with color grading (first test). The downgrade in FIFA 22 is higher than I expected. The turf looks really bad at night. Here some before-after pic (mowpattern by default).
unknown1.png

Back
Top Bottom