FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

Let’s hope that the ‘stadium builder’ in career mode won’t be the same as the one for pro clubs.

There was a small book worth of pitch notes but it doesn't mean much until someone plays the game or watches a full game against the AI, because all the clips so far are a few seconds each.

Zonal defending *sounds* good and *looks* better than the mess in 21, but improving on 21, one of the worst games ever, is no achievement, and players don't really defend their zone as there's still no defensive AI. So it's not a given that it *plays* better. And the other big thing is that animations are supposedly better on next-gen.

We just have to see a full match against the AI. It could be the same old crap with ping pong passing and no midfield or it could really be better.
This is what I mean - we have EA's pages of waffling and not much else to go on. In the mere seconds of gameplay we have been shown so far, exactly the same lack of defensive AI/1v1 is plain to see which speaks more than the thousands of words they may write about it.

They talked a good game last year, and in previous years in these "pitch notes" and we all saw how those turned out, so why would we now have any confidence they'll be any better this time?

Often the same people will laugh at those still expecting something decent from eFootball despite Konami's track record and direction they've been taking the franchise in recent years, but remain seemingly oblivious to the same factors when it comes to EA/FIFA and somehow hold out some hope they're going for realism or putting effort into offline gameplay.

They talked a good game last year, and in previous years in these "pitch notes" and we all saw how those turned out, so why would we now have any confidence they'll be any better this time?

Often the same people will laugh at those still expecting something decent from eFootball despite Konami's track record and direction they've been taking the franchise in recent years, but remain seemingly oblivious to the same factors when it comes to EA/FIFA and somehow hold out some hope they're going for realism or putting effort into offline gameplay.

Don't disagree and even if it's slightly better I don't expect something that's actually good enough to compete with 16/17 in terms of gameplay. I could bet money that I'll be playing old games next year. That's why all I ask for is a sim mode/more options. The only difference between EA & Konami is that with EA you know the game is the way they want and they have the resources to introduce these extra options, while with Konami you're always questioning what they were going for and if it's just incompetence.

That's an insult to Virtua Striker. The midfielders probably track back better in it.

And can anyone sum up what sounds or looks promising about the gameplay this year (without regurgitating buzzwords) because I simply don't see it. Every gameplay clip still clearly shows braindead AI due to "1v1". Surely this ruins everything as a gameplay experience no matter if they do make improvements elsewhere?

Even if the rest of the gameplay were perfect, you can't have something resembling football when at any moment 9/10 outfield players (at least for the defending side) are not participating in the match.
I agree, Virtua Striker is actually very good but you kinda get the point I was making.

It pains me, actually makes me slightly angry, that EA pander to these eSports idiots. We’ve been buying and playing their Career Modes for decades and they just toss us aside.

(Dramatic I know, I’m just so disillusioned with modern football gaming!)

Nothing that we didnt know already.. bit disappointing.. I was hoping for some sponsor deals. Creating team and designing their kits is a great idea, but without sponsor they look like Pes without option files..
Also - apart from creating your own team - there's nothing new there..

Let's hope this is on Amateur for demonstrative purposes. Look at those training cones.

From a team management perspective, not a whole lot going, is there? They basically took the Pro Clubs create a kit/club template that has been around for eons and pasted it into Career Mode. Where the hell are the fake sponsors? How long would it have taken to come up with 20 or so sponsors (with varying prestige)? You know, as your team grows, you'll get approached by bigger and better sponsors. This in turn would help you generate more revenue, etc. Same could apply to kit deals. They had sponsorships like this in FIFA 2004, granted, I don't believe they appeared on your kit. Like Emroth said, it looks tacky.

Doesn't seem like there's an option to expand or build a new stadium if your success/club value warrants it. Bummer.

Kits, crests, and your base stadium can be changed at the beginning of every new season.

I stand corrected. Nice.

Anyway, it's nice to see Player Career get some affection for the first time in what, 12-years? It's quite "gamified" (looks similar to NHL in terms of objectives), but that's fine with me. I'll take it, perks/skill trees and all. You can finally come on off the bench. It was always idiotic that you could never be subbed into a match. The lack of any pressure or urgency in FIFA's Player Career (coupled with the fact that it couldn't have been less bare-bones feature and atmosphere wise) is what made it a mundane affair. I want to feel like I've truly earned my place in the team, the league, and world football in general. Hopefully the gameplay is difficult enough to allow for that sort of progression.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. Nice
Yea, its nice that stadium upgrades expand also to other clubs with generic stadiums. So you can start at the very borrom and once you get closer to the top - you dont have to play on the farm field anymore.

Unfortunately - from what I gathered - you cant change kits for any other clubs apart from the one you created.
Which is a bummer. Even adding third kit with existing sponsor would be huge.

Yea, its nice that stadium upgrades expand also to other clubs with generic stadiums. So you can start at the very borrom and once you get closer to the top - you dont have to play on the farm field anymore.

Unfortunately - from what I gathered - you cant change kits for any other clubs apart from the one you created.
Which is a bummer. Even adding third kit with existing sponsor would be huge.

I'm no lawyer (and I realize Konami allows option files), but I've always assumed that they don't allow for such in-game alterations in a official capacity due to potential licensing and/or legal issues. Who knows.

I agree, Virtua Striker is actually very good but you kinda get the point I was making.

It pains me, actually makes me slightly angry, that EA pander to these eSports idiots. We’ve been buying and playing their Career Modes for decades and they just toss us aside.

(Dramatic I know, I’m just so disillusioned with modern football gaming!)
Yeah I know what you meant - the eSports 1v1 is at the root of so many of the game's problems, which they then acknowledge as problems but then come up with some ham-fisted scripted/artificial solution instead of addressing the root cause, as they are now so hell-bent on this gameplay style they can't admit it's causing these issues.

An example from the gameplay pitch notes would be how they approached what they call "tacklebacks".

Tackleback refers to when the tackler performs a good tackle on an attacker, but the attacker quickly recovers and maintains possession of the ball, or gets it back. To prioritize fairness in the game, we have made changes to reduce the amount of Tacklebacks. However, while some of these changes can impact visual fidelity in specific instances, they create a more positive and satisfying experience for the defender.

Why is this even a problem? Why shouldn't an attacker be able to fight to keep or regain possession of the ball after a tackle? Why is this so frustrating for players?

Because when each defender is left so isolated thanks to esports 1v1, if the attacker wins the ball back then they will have acres of space, nobody will be covering and it's likely to be a free run on goal. The defender could do everything right and "win" the 1v1 by making the tackle, but then end up with a losing outcome. Can't have that in "skill gap" esports.

They created this problem with the esports gameplay style and then try to counteract it for game balance with another artificial anti-simulation esports solution. They never elaborated on how they did it but even they admit it can "impact visual fidelity". Cooldown timer on tackling after being tackled? Forcefield around the "successful" tackler? Scripting the path of the ball?

The heading for this section of the pitch notes sums it up - "Fair and Predictable Outcomes". Football is very often unpredictable and unfair. They're not trying to simulate football, they want a game where online a "higher skilled" player will win 100% of the time against a "lower skilled" opponent, even if the margin between them were slim, this is why they always cry about the "skill gap". That's not how football works.

Even if they offered a "sim mode" to turn off 1v1s, they've centred so much of the gameplay/controls around making them "balanced" that they're prioritising fairness/predictability over realism in the rest of the gameplay anyway.

Last edited:
Still ,a billion times more stuff Vs what pes brought us post PES 14 until it's death.
Just hope gameplay isn't scooby doo sliding all over the place and some defensive awareness.
Are all new things on both gens?
Do you plan on buying a Series X mate? It's a fantastic console, I prefer it to the PS5 (sorry for off-topic)

The perks thing reminds me of the Pes 13 boots and in game buyable boosts lol. It's silly but if it's ignorable it's fine. If it's not it wouldn't be the end of the world at least to me.

All in all, nonsense aside I'm almost shocked by how much they worked on the career. Create a team, stadium editor and all the rest of the outline.. not bad at all for a supposedly dying mode, especially if you compare it with the nothing we saw about it on the other side until now.

If only the gameplay wouldn't consist, as I'm afraid it will, in playing against cones or similar robotical FUT inspired shenaningans, I'd seriously considering to pick up a PS5 at this point.

Perks?! Oh fuck off EA.

They pretty much just took the Pro Clubs perks and applied them to Player Career. Like I said, the mode seems very "gamified," but I'd rather this than absolutely nothing at all. I love Road to The Show in MLB: The Show even though it has player perks. I've also enjoyed 2K's modes as well. Despite its juxtaposition with real word sport, skill trees and perk systems are great ways to implement a sense of progression if done well. I enjoy RPGs quite a bit, so that probably helps.

Even throwaway "features" like tracking your milestones with a disposable, half-assed news article or having your own tifo once you've become a club legend is a nice touch. Little cutscenes in the dressing room and while you're getting subbed on? Sure! They'll get old after a week, but I'm desperate. The way I look at it, it adds an additional mode that I otherwise wouldn't have touched with a ten-foot pole. A mode that I've wanted to see expanded upon in PES and FIFA for years.

I do hope they made it so big clubs come in for you if you've had a season or two of success at a lesser club.

Nice to see you can edit other teams stadium if they have generic stadiums. Even putting correct net colours seat colours will add some realism in the lower leagues.

So according to the trailer, Career Mode has a director and, I suppose, a dedicated team working below him.

Wouldn't it be nice if they were also responsible for dedicated CM gameplay. They are given a copy of the main gameplay files each year and are let loose, applying their own tweaks specifically for CM. Just an idea, maybe this is rocket science.

I'm somewhat dissapointed, but maybe that's just me, I'm weird in the sense that one of the most important modes for me in football games has always been the editor, not for fixing the unlicensed teams really, but just for being able to add whatever team I want into the game if they weren't there, make my own players and add them into my made up teams, or just making some of my favorite retro kits, or my own custom designs, for teams I like to play as.

I know this isn't the comparasion thread, but just as an example, when I use the editor in PES, it feels like I have the entire database of the game, and the game itself, as my toys, and the editor is my toolbox that let's me shape it into whatever toy I want, it's so fun to play around with and then see your creations on the pitch, I was hopeful that FIFA was finally going to have something like it, but as far as I can tell the crest and kit editing is on par with the PS2 PES editor, and it's restricted to career mode, it's all so limited, restricted, and PES' editor in recent years has spoiled me a lot when it comes to freedom.

I was hoping they'd bring back something like the Creation Centre, if they didn't do it this time, then I think they never will really, Career Mode exclusive it is, no actual editor so I can edit multiple teams, no adding new kits to licensed teams, no way to fix the few unlicensed teams or add ones that aren't in the game... nothing.

They pretty much just took the Pro Clubs perks and applied them to Player Career. Like I said, the mode seems very "gamified," but I'd rather this than absolutely nothing at all. I love Road to The Show in MLB: The Show even though it has player perks. I've also enjoyed 2K's modes as well. Despite its juxtaposition with real word sport, skill trees and perk systems are great ways to implement a sense of progression if done well. I enjoy RPGs quite a bit, so that probably helps.

Even throwaway "features" like tracking your milestones with a disposable, half-assed news article or having your own tifo once you've become a club legend is a nice touch. Little cutscenes in the dressing room and while you're getting subbed on? Sure! They'll get old after a week, but I'm desperate. The way I look at it, it adds an additional mode that I otherwise wouldn't have touched with a ten-foot pole. A mode that I've wanted to see expanded upon in PES and FIFA for years.

I do hope they made it so big clubs come in for you if you've had a season or two of success at a lesser club.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm all for new features, content and gameplay changes. I just fear that EA want to 'FUT' Career Mode.

I'm in the minority and I really like the gameplay I've seen in the FIFA 22 videos so far. So I'm cautiously optimistic about EA's offering this year. I guess I can always ignore the perks - I don't want anything which will make the game less challenging.

I would also prefer it if EA nerfed form - I find that when I've won a few games I become unbeatable because my players have green smiley faces in the team selection screens.

I'm terrified (again, I'm being dramatic here) that FIFA 22 will be good but far too easy. Because for me, there's no point in playing a game where I'm winning 90% of the matches playing as Aston Villa.

Back
Top Bottom