FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

Picked this up in the Black Friday PSN sale. I'm not the biggest Fifa fan but most of my family & friends play it so I need to be some what competent at it ha ha.

This game plays a lot better on last gen, in my opinion. The pitches look like crap mind you. But it’s a far more solid experience on PS4.

This game plays a lot better on last gen, in my opinion. The pitches look like crap mind you. But it’s a far more solid experience on PS4.

Each version has its strong issues for me.
The NG has the defenders tracking runs too deeply issue which is almost doesn't happen in the CG.
The CG suffers from the midfielder not tracking back issue, which isn't nearly as bad in the NG.

Got a playing career going at Watford. Performing really well, scoring and assisting goals etc. Good ratings.
I get injured in March for 3 months, so I accessed the calendar and forwarded to my recovery date. At that point, I receive an email from the hierarchy that they are really disappointed in me and have placed me on the transfer list. I've been injured for 3 months, WTF were they expecting???

The NG has the defenders tracking runs too deeply issue which is almost doesn't happen in the CG.
The CG suffers from the midfielder not tracking back issue, which isn't nearly as bad in the NG.
I agree.

Ultimately, the game is ok for short bursts but I get really bored if I play longer than two matches in one session.

I haven’t felt the ‘magic, one more match feeling’ of a football game since probably, I don’t know, PES 2013.

This is something we tried to tackle in the v8 OS sliders where the higher sprint (near default) was resulting in more deep tracking (I call it defensive line integrity issues), so lowering it has helped reduce that effect. It's definitely still there at times, but it's much less common.

In this title update, for NG, the midfield tracking got closer to how it is on CG, where there is more of a statue look, but the midfield in NGdefinitely drops back much deeper.

That's so weird ,I have the same feeling ,haven't played much on either gen ,but the one's I have ,feel the same way.
Also had the same experience with 2k (21 not 22).
Guess it's a tough transition from old to new gen gameplay wise.

That's so weird ,I have the same feeling ,haven't played much on either gen ,but the one's I have ,feel the same way.
Also had the same experience with 2k (21 not 22).
Guess it's a tough transition from old to new gen gameplay wise.
Lots of people saying the same thing mate, it’s not just us :)

I like last gen version. It’s not perfect, far from it - but it has far less bugs and players don’t seem to do the really weird crap that happens on PS5.

Next gen looks terrible as well. Glowing heads, kits are far too bright, lighting is off, that trail/glow which follows the ball when you score or hit it just wide, pitches with mud all over them (who thought that was a good idea?! When do you see muddy pitches in the Premier League and Championship?!)

Maybe the Hypermotion messes with new gen? It’s weird for sure but I’m playing a lot more of PS4 version, it’s simply a better game.

I like last gen version. It’s not perfect, far from it - but it has far less bugs and players don’t seem to do the really weird crap that happens on PS5.

Next gen looks terrible as well. Glowing heads, kits are far too bright, lighting is off, that trail/glow which follows the ball when you score or hit it just wide etc.

Maybe the Hypermotion messes with new gen? It’s weird for sure but I’m playing a lot more of PS4 version, it’s simply a better game.
Can't get my head around it though.
The transition from 360/xb1 on most sports games were pretty good (FIFA 14/Pes 15/NHL 15/2k14)
Some of those games are top of their series ,both 2k14 and FIFA 14 are considered to be one of the best.

Hypermotion and trying to get as many "cool" thing's in as possible Vs a solid gameplay I guess.

I'm still on my 10 hrs (we have 3 different accounts in the family) trial version ,and I'm not looking to buy this anytime soon.
I'm not liking this more than some of my older games

Do share?
I'll post later but accel to 48 I'm also on fast and legacy defending with contextual dribbling on and analogue sprint on (I seem to draw more fouls) . Keepers 45 so they spill a bit more and catch what I'd expect them to catch . Having it on fast I seem to feel less need to hold sprint

It's kinda annoying when (you like me @Mikhail , i was searching for a real NG experience, that's why i brought it even if vids where super fast and not appealing, not because PES situation) Even graphically there's things too shiny, bright, some models looks weird but on a long view (probably the LOD).

Gaming "level" in terms of everything except textures and special effects, what's really superficial, let's say physics and adds in animations, systems etc. depends on the consoles, like every, are based on the old-gen pushed to their limits, with sometimes one or two features (like Hypermotion stuff) but nothing big.

We can say that the new consoles, even if they were out in Winter 2019, suffered from what we knows and don't want to talk anymore.
EA is big, but as suffered a lot about it too. See how it will looks, in terms of overall football experience with the next Frosbite or whatever new engine.

But whatever, it's unplayable offline to me as it's like all in fast-motion, perhaps the most agile/fast Fifa i ever played. I'm repeating myself but i really miss my Seasons, i got fun with it, more than career or whatever cup. Also the fact you can't remove the special attributes +8 +9 etc based on the position on career and online... I hate that thing.

I still can play one game or another thanks to V8 sliders that i found sincerely a real game changer more than all the previous one, even if it doesn't resolve some problem linked to the core mecanisms, thanks @Matt10 , i assigned it before they were on the first page of O.S. ;) and i wanted to sell the game and changed my mind as it's totally playable, and on "slow" finally, which reduce agility a bit.

Also i don't see that big differences between patches to be honest, i think manual players could feel more stuffs with AI and misplaced passes, shoots, power, Defense, players reactions and behaviour differences are more obvious.

Can't get my head around it though.
The transition from 360/xb1 on most sports games were pretty good (FIFA 14/Pes 15/NHL 15/2k14)
Some of those games are top of their series ,both 2k14 and FIFA 14 are considered to be one of the best.

Hypermotion and trying to get as many "cool" thing's in as possible Vs a solid gameplay I guess.

I'm still on my 10 hrs (we have 3 different accounts in the family) trial version ,and I'm not looking to buy this anytime soon.
I'm not liking this more than some of my older games
Don't buy it mate, not worth the money. Or wait until it's 20 quid in Black Friday / New Year sales.

I tinkered a bit with my next gen FIFA version and played a bit of kick off/exhibition games (villa Vs WBA) and at the same time I've got villa Vs Brighton on the telly going.
We're a long way from a real football experience playing FIFA 22.
Man how arcadey this feels.
I know it's the best thing we got ,but it's still not good enough.

3 matches so far tonight. All a delight. Less goals overall, AI doing bycicle kicks and such, being really creative. I liked a 0:1 loss with Leicester vs. Chelsea, a 1:0 win with Leverkusen vs. Hoffenheim and a 0:3 loss with Bielefeld vs. Wolfsburg. I’m good for tonight, a huge part thanks to OS sliders V8 I guess.
before germanys top match tonight, Union hosting the match vs. Hertha, I’ll have that in FIFA22. :)

Last edited:
This is something we tried to tackle in the v8 OS sliders where the higher sprint (near default) was resulting in more deep tracking (I call it defensive line integrity issues), so lowering it has helped reduce that effect. It's definitely still there at times, but it's much less common.

In this title update, for NG, the midfield tracking got closer to how it is on CG, where there is more of a statue look, but the midfield in NGdefinitely drops back much deeper.
I feel like it still happens with a lower sprint speed almost the same, just the cb jockeys back with the attacker a little more often. The line still breaks though. It was still an issue even on really low sprint speeds.

I’ve said it before, but this one change from EA would make such a difference and it’s so frustrating because it’s such an easy fix for them. It could easily be done in an update.

I feel like it still happens with a lower sprint speed almost the same, just the cb jockeys back with the attacker a little more often. The line still breaks though. It was still an issue even on really low sprint speeds.

I’ve said it before, but this one change from EA would make such a difference and it’s so frustrating because it’s such an easy fix for them. It could easily be done in an update.
Yeah, just not as often or instant as it would be on higher sprint speeds. I feel it works more contextually to cover the CB jockey on lower sprints too. Just the curse of FIFA where sacrifices have to be made. However, we should know what we're getting into - so these decisions can't be surprising.

Yeah, just not as often or instant as it would be on higher sprint speeds. I feel it works more contextually to cover the CB jockey on lower sprints too. Just the curse of FIFA where sacrifices have to be made. However, we should know what we're getting into - so these decisions can't be surprising.
Yeah sure do. To just be one value change away to make a world of difference is painful to not have. Hopefully in an update...not expected in an update haha.

FIFA 22 director, somewhere in Canada, circa February 2021: "It's REALLY exciting when shots CRASH against the crossbar, and the ball bounces down and back out into the mixer. It really does enhance the dynamic flow. Make sure it happens a LOT."

Last edited:
Further to the retreating defensive line/following attacking runs, I tried a test where I would just hold down the offside trap button. Instantly the midfield game was dramatically improved with the cpu passing around, looking for gaps, passing backwards etc. Obviously not something to play with, but shows the difference it would make if they just held their line! I’m going to try and make a video of examples with the problem in the hope it can reach EA...

FIFA 22 director, somewhere in Canada, circa February 2021: "It's REALLY exciting when shots CRASH against the crossbar, and the ball bounces down and back out into the mixer. It really does enhance the dynamic flow. Make sure it happens a LOT."

I played for a few hours with a mate yesterday and this happened 2-3 times a match.

I played for a few hours with a mate yesterday and this happened 2-3 times a match.
Over-reliance on woodwork to keep things moving has been a thing in all football games for a few years now but FIFA 22 noticeably leans specifically on the crossbar-rebound thing a hell of a lot. When it comes to moments that make me sigh it's a toss-up between the magnetic crossbar that perfectly deflects the ball precisely 165 degrees downward, and the way the keepers still put out for a corner the kinds of powder-puff shots and headers that have all the kinetic energy of a balloon floating towards them. A ball that they could easily catch – one that a 2-year-old baby could easily catch – cannot be caught because that wouldn't be exciting enough. Johnny Online must have his corner reward.

I'm sticking with my Career Mode created club but it's grim in the trenches of a game that isn't designed for me and increasingly doesn't hide it.

Over-reliance on woodwork to keep things moving has been a thing in all football games for a few years now but FIFA 22 noticeably leans specifically on the crossbar-rebound thing a hell of a lot. When it comes to moments that make me sigh it's a toss-up between the magnetic crossbar that perfectly deflects the ball precisely 165 degrees downward, and the way the keepers still put out for a corner the kinds of powder-puff shots and headers that have all the kinetic energy of a balloon floating towards them. A ball that they could easily catch – one that a 2-year-old baby could easily catch – cannot be caught because that wouldn't be exciting enough. Johnny Online must have his corner reward.

I'm sticking with my Career Mode created club but it's grim in the trenches of a game that isn't designed for me and increasingly doesn't hide it.
You're right ,it's been plaguing this series for a long time , adjusting shooting accuracy usually puts a band aid on it.
No clue if it helps FIFA 22 though (uninstalled it) but it should be better if tweaked either way.

I wonder what the ratio of post Vs crossbar is?
Felt previous years that for every post and out or post and in shot comes with 6-7 crossbars

Next gen looks terrible as well. Glowing heads, kits are far too bright, lighting is off, that trail/glow which follows the ball when you score or hit it just wide, pitches with mud all over them (who thought that was a good idea?! When do you see muddy pitches in the Premier League and Championship?!)

Whats wrong with muddy pitches? It gives the game a more realistic feel.

AFAIK, there are tons of bug on PS4 version.
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FIFA-22-Career-Mode-Manager-List-of-bugs/td-p/10817794

Speaking of graphics part, it is good for you then, though I totally disagree.
Everyone has his/her standard of taste and I respect it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom