FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

I don't know. I couldn't really enjoy any football game since pes6 till Fifa16.

I really recommend it to the haters to give it another go, I was one of the fifa haters, but konami had such an amatuerish approach in the last 8 years brought me to the darkside :)
Both games are enjoyable in their way, I've played both for a decade. I try not to judge them against each other. I just look at what they each do well/poorly in relation to the sort of game each company is trying to make. EA has made a simple game that is slick and plays great each year, and is easy to like because of all that. Konomi has tried to make a more complex game, something more like real football, but it is mostly broken every year and is harder to enjoy for that reason.

Last edited:
seems to me fifa focus off the pitch and pes focus on the pitch.
Always been the case.

FIFA is focused on creating a game that looks like real football.
PES is focused on creating a game that feels like real football.

...and I enjoyed the last couple of FIFAs and consider myself non-partizan with football games these days, but I still feel this to be the case.

Ck3HkWMXEAAsYnw.jpg

EA are better off giving us more sliders for the offline game and let us play the game just like we want. Then they can concentrate on their moneymaking children's mode.

First off all we need a proper explanation of that every slider actually does, For example pass error ruins the crossing and the keeper's distributuion so what gives?

I'd like also to see new slider like:

-Referee strictness
-AI shooting frequency
-Ball heaviness
-Speed/Acc sliders that include the boosts under the hood that the AI gets based on mysterious factors and difficulty setting.
- Positional freedom where players will roam all over the pitch instead of running in a straight line like forrest.

Otherwise FIFA 17 will be the script-fest we've been seeing for the last 10 years or so :CRY:

With this Alex Hunter rubbish there might be a silver lining with them actually playtesting single-player FIFA as a result and realising how flawed it is.

LOL they reduced something that takes 2 seconds to change the slider for? Seriously! Default there were nowhere near enough first touch errors IMO, think I used to raise it to about 80 or something on the slider.

Chesnoid in his video said that after playing 3 games of fifa 17 at EA Play he was happy that he only got one bad first touch and compared it to fifa 16 where he would get 4-6 bad touches in a single game. So yeah EA are doing things 'right' for their market growth. You better raise the first touch error sliders to 100 in fifa 17 :p

Always been the case.

FIFA is focused on creating a game that looks like real football.
PES is focused on creating a game that feels like real football.

...and I enjoyed the last couple of FIFAs and consider myself non-partizan with football games these days, but I still feel this to be the case.

One succeeds and the other one fails. (for the most part)

Chesnoid in his video said that after playing 3 games of fifa 17 at EA Play he was happy that he only got one bad first touch and compared it to fifa 16 where he would get 4-6 bad touches in a single game. So yeah EA are doing things 'right' for their market growth. You better raise the first touch error sliders to 100 in fifa 17 :p

This concerns me because bad touches create more 50/50 balls, which create much more physicality. EA's perception may be on physicality being with only one player in control. That couldn't be further than the truth.

I'm hoping its more the simple short soft passes when played to a good player, as soon as he tries to stop it at times the ball bounces chest high, happens randomly and is unrealistic BUT If ea toned down the error for hard passes or under pressure types, I won't be impressed.

Something I forgot to add: the usual "heavy" players (Yaya, Ibra, etc) didn't feel heavy. Felt lighter & more agile. #FIFA17

How do you manage to feck up EA?

Has anybody noticed the difference between the tone of those who tried PES and those who tried FIFA last night?

All the PES previews were full of amazement (some of them clearly OTT but still, with a genuine excitement for the game's release).

The FIFA previews I've seen have all been along the lines of "I was expecting more", including the previous one I mentioned by a manual player (so again, an opinion I trust), and Kamy's friend who reckons that tactics still make no difference.

I'm one of the few on here who strongly dislikes PES 16, not just for the broken goalkeepers but for the insta-passing, same-shots-every-time, same-goals-every-time gameplay that seems horribly simplistic, to me.

I'm also still a little bit in love with FIFA 16, because, though it lacks tactical importance (and the AI relies on the same goalscoring patterns repeatedly, especially on Legendary), it has (in my opinion) player individuality, unpredictability, and real fist-pumping moments.

But if 17 is all of that again, without tactical importance, or manager movement (in the career mode), or better AI (which we don't know yet, admittedly), then... 17 is just shinier graphics, to me.

They've given FIFA the Hollywood treatment. I get why - there's kids who'll lap that story mode up. But the gameplay... Last year, EA were talking about the improved defending and about things that really resonated with the guys like me who just want the gameplay to get better, and more realistic. This announcement isn't the same.

Even on the podcast (Kamy posted a link to it earlier in the thread), Aaron McHardy said "gameplay is what matters", and then goes on to talk about fluff. Players making better runs is great, but not having to adjust your formation or your strategy to beat an equal opponent (AI or otherwise) - not even being able to see your AI opponent's usual formation - is shit, and it's always been the same in FIFA.

It's almost like an admission, to me, that if you want depth in that area (even though FIFA has it in other areas, including individuality), you aren't going to get it.

Perfectly said... agree with everything. I switched over to Fifa for the first time in ages for those very reasons - I couldn't accept the fact that I could score worldies with mediocre right backs, that shots from outside the box were nearly always on target and forced a difficult save from the keeper etc... the variation in play, from passing to shooting to first touch (in multiplayer at least) and individuality totally pulled me in this year.

The lack of tactics and the fact that players that you're not controlling are completely oblivious to the ball are probably the biggest gameplay issues with the game... and yet these things aren't addressed at all (even on the website where they talk about all the website changes), and the main focus is a story mode which I will never play. Sigh.

I still have hope but I am more encouraged by the words coming from the PES people - admitting that they focused on the mainstream last year and this year are focusing on core PES fans, and on aspects like individuality, toning down the laster guided shots etc.

PES has a lot of ground to make up but the foundation of a great game is there. FIFA is so close to being amazing but if they didn't focus enough on gameplay this year I will be very disappointed.

What I´m doubting about this trailer is, whether it´s really ingame footage.

These cutscenes are extra edited for that trailer, using the ingame engine of course.
But I´d assume that for this, a lot of editing has been made.

So, I´m gonna wait with my statements about ball- and net physics until I´ve seen some real gameplay footage.

What I´m doubting about this trailer is, whether it´s really ingame footage.

These cutscenes are extra edited for that trailer, using the ingame engine of course.
But I´d assume that for this, a lot of editing has been made.

So, I´m gonna wait with my statements about ball- and net physics until I´ve seen some real gameplay footage.

Have a look at the leaked gameplay footage, it's the same FIFA 11.5 but a bit prettier this year

Surprised to hear such a naive comment from you, this is EA Sports we're talking about! ;)

I don't want to believe it. If it was Konami I'd have believed it in an instant as they're known for ditching modes and features.

Does EA have a history of that? Because I still see every mode and feature in from years ago with more modes on top.

Hope I'm not wrong.

I don't want to believe it. If it was Konami I'd have believed it in an instant as they're known for ditching modes and features.

Does EA have a history of that? Because I still see every mode and feature in from years ago with more modes on top.

Hope I'm not wrong.
Just a few things taken out in the past:

- 2vs2 lobbys
- ability to import custom chants/intros
- Practice Mode
- Creations Centre
- Create a set-piece
- Highlights of the week

Just a few things taken out in the past:

- 2vs2 lobbys
- ability to import custom chants/intros
- Practice Mode
- Creations Centre
- Create a set-piece
- Highlights of the week

Ugh. Well. I guess no modes were gone at least...

Isn't practice mode still in?

Probably will have to wait more for impressions on tactics and individuality.

You can now put tattoos on created players. There's an image on Twitter.

Probably will have to wait more for impressions on tactics and individuality.

You can now put tattoos on created players. There's an image on Twitter.
That pic might be fan-made though. I thought it's real but when I saw it also had a checkbox for neck tattoo not really anymore. The neck tattoos are drawn onto the face textures, so can't see it possible to choose from one.

Of course it should be possible if the structure of the graphic files is completely changed, but it's EA, so highly unlikely.

Apparently multiple sources confirmed that there is no longer any individualism. All the players feels same when it comes to passing and agility. The differences are only in shooting and sprint speed. You can do a beautiful through pass with anyone including lobbed pass. The game also seems more open and more counter attacking.

So yep..... FIFA kids got what they wanted.

Back
Top Bottom