FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Gave vanilla a try without the cl.ini file. Tbh it felt the same, I only played one game so I def need more testing, but it was actually a really frustrating game, I was playing in pro level against a 75 rated team and the first half they just held the ball, 93% passing completions and I couldnt get the ball back (40-60 possession). 1st half was shit, second half was a bit better, more battles and a few more mistakes. they did end up the game with passing completion high. Really didnt enjoy it.

I love '16 so I think it might have been just a bad game, I hadnt played in a while so I might need to adjust, dont know if last time I played I had reset sliders so that might need some changes bc they were all default. I actually think I had some written down that were very enjoyable.

Will try again tomorrow with cl file
I'm trying to get rid of that useless possession the CPU does at the back with simple line adjustments. My thinking is, because the overall defensive awareness and positioning is very good in the game, we should be able to increase line length to help without the game creating too many gaps. In theory it should have two positive impacts. Firstly it should bring your own midfielders closer to the opposition defenders (to press a little more and force them into some more risky passing), and secondly it should create more distance between their midfield and defensive line which should also encourage them to play a little longer and faster.

I haven't done much testing yet, but I was playing with just a simple adjustment of 60/60 and it did seem to help. I'm testing 60/65 now. Obviously need to see if it doesn't create any other instabilities elsewhere as well...

Gave vanilla a try without the cl.ini file. Tbh it felt the same, I only played one game so I def need more testing, but it was actually a really frustrating game, I was playing in pro level against a 75 rated team and the first half they just held the ball, 93% passing completions and I couldnt get the ball back (40-60 possession). 1st half was shit, second half was a bit better, more battles and a few more mistakes. they did end up the game with passing completion high. Really didnt enjoy it.

I love '16 so I think it might have been just a bad game, I hadnt played in a while so I might need to adjust, dont know if last time I played I had reset sliders so that might need some changes bc they were all default. I actually think I had some written down that were very enjoyable.

Will try again tomorrow with cl file
This is the problem I have with v1 FIFA 16 - the AI loves to hog the ball and not do a great deal with it, which turns 10-20 minute periods into pressing the AI with no benefit.

They listened to feedback about this "issue" (not everyone sees it as a bad thing) and the patches made the AI more attacking with the ball, but probably too far the other way. I think v1 is a better game than v1.01, for sure (largely because there's less instances of "silly physics"), but I have to admit I struggle to play v1 long-term because of this.

It's still the closest thing we've ever had to the perfect football game, though, for sure. In my opinion. I wish I could get over the strange pass physics (where the ball moves like a bullet for half a second before slamming the brakes on half-way).

I haven't done much testing yet, but I was playing with just a simple adjustment of 60/60 and it did seem to help. I'm testing 60/65 now. Obviously need to see if it doesn't create any other instabilities elsewhere as well...
Tried those and seemed to do the trick. Had a balanced game although I did add back the cl file. That was my only slider change left everything else default. Oh had to lower gk a tad too. Will try again tomorrow.

for some reason I'm not clicking with the game lately. Haven't played a footie game in months and just now starting to come back to my library and staying to itch for one and can't seem to click. Hope I don't end up installing 10 years worth of games again.

I have found a way to significantly increase the CPU tendency to play the ball forward instead of using short pass possession in its own half.
It is a database xml edit that increases the build up pass stat of the te tactics by 100 points above their normal tactic, so basically every team is set with a long ball with some variations.

It doesn't come without drawback and I am not sure I will use it myself.
Firstly probability of driven passes are increased, resulting in more bullet passes.
Players are doing way more runs forward as consequence defensive lines have dropped quite deeper.
Also because of those runs everything feels more frantic.

You can give it a try, I would recommend backing up your db.xml file first.
Remove the .txt at the end of the fil name and put it inside the data/db folder.
If you don't like it just overwrite with your backed up xml.

It will be possible to edit this file to have a larger palette but it will require editing individual team tactics to get the palette.

Attachments

• fifa_ng_db-meta.xml.txt
    399.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I have found a way to significantly increase the CPU tendency to play the ball forward instead of using short pass possession in its own half.
It is a database xml edit that increases the buil up pass stat of the te tactics by 100 points above their normal tactic, so basically every team is set with a long ball with some variations.

Firstly probability of driven passes are increased, resulting in more bullet passes.
Players are doing way more runs forward as consequence defensive lines have dropped quite deeper.

Remove the .txt at the end of the fil name and put it inside the data/db folder.

It will be possible to edit this file to have a larger palette but it will require editing individual team tactics to get the palette.
Good job Pap, I’ll give it a run! Have you tried using the attribdbgameplay file from the 1.7 version in 1.00? I wonder if that could help too..

It is a database xml edit that increases the build up pass stat of the te tactics by 100 points above their normal tactic, so basically every team is set with a long ball with some variations.

Wow this is very interesting. Can you tell me which line it is exactly? Because I remember I have made a couple of my own changes to this file as well so I don't want to completely overwrite it and lose them, I will just change the variable needed.

Maybe it can be increased by 20 or 40 points for a more subtle change?

I also don't think I mind the cpu passing it around. I find it refreshing compared to all other games and it's one of the reasons I'm comfortable with playing longer matches. They cpu will build up faster eventually if they need to score and them hoarding the ball when they win, while frustrating is also realistic.

Edit: Nevermind, I did a file compare, it's the buspassing & ccpassing variables right? I was looking at busbuildupspeed but surprsisingly that's not it. 😅

I wonder if this is a change that's active as long as they are on their default tactics or throughout the match even if they switch to a preset like "counter attack" or "high press" which have their own values.

Last edited:
Wow this is very interesting. Can you tell me which line it is exactly? Because I remember I have made a couple of my own changes to this file as well so I don't want to completely overwrite it and lose them, I will just change the variable needed.

Maybe it can be increased by 20 or 40 points for a more subtle change?

I also don't think I mind the cpu passing it around. I find it refreshing compared to all other games and it's one of the reasons I'm comfortable with playing longer matches. They cpu will build up faster eventually if they need to score and them hoarding the ball when they win, while frustrating is also realistic.

It's all the buspass lines. I set it to rangelow=101 and range high to 400. If you want to increase by 20 just set the range low to 20, but the max will be forced to 100.

It's all the buspass lines. I set it to rangelow=101 and range high to 400. If you want to increase by 20 just set the range low to 20, but the max will be forced to 100.

I hadn't drank my morning coffee yet, and I was wondering what's the deal with this bus, and if it's the one mourinho parks. Now I guess it stands for build up speed passing.

I hadn't drank my morning coffee yet, and I was wondering what's the deal with this bus, and if it's the one mourinho parks. Now I guess it stands for build up speed passing.

Yes indeed!

I thin there is an additional stat that might deserve some attention and increase, it is the dribble one in chance creation (can't remember the name). It can be edited from ingame and I believe it impacts the cpu tendency to dribble vs pass when attacking.

Was playing some more of vanilla v1.0 last night, it's clear that what EA do over the games cycle is cut animation frames, reduce inertia and any slipping or tripping animations to reduce frustration of online players who don't want to think about their contextual football but rather just want to play willy nilly blitzball.

So many subtle little things make me gush about this game, you can really feel the footplanting and weight of your player as you dribble, I had a moment where I had a player suddenly change directions to shake of a pressing player and they did this "lost my footing animation" as they corrected themselves and regained control. I don't think I've seen it before as on the updated FIFA 16, While still decent, everythijg is automated and efficiently performed. There's no imperfections or scrappyness as a consequence of rushing certain things.

That being said, as mentioned above, the defense can play too many passes across its back line which just becomes stifling as you're not participating in the game, you can't get the ball back until they decide to do something involving elsewhere on the pitch.

Was playing some more of vanilla v1.0 last night, it's clear that what EA do over the games cycle is cut animation frames, reduce inertia and any slipping or tripping animations to reduce frustration of online players who don't want to think about their contextual football but rather just want to play willy nilly blitzball.

So many subtle little things make me gush about this game, you can really feel the footplanting and weight of your player as you dribble, I had a moment where I had a player suddenly change directions to shake of a pressing player and they did this "lost my footing animation" as they corrected themselves and regained control. I don't think I've seen it before as on the updated FIFA 16, While still decent, everythijg is automated and efficiently performed. There's no imperfections or scrappyness as a consequence of rushing certain things.

That being said, as mentioned above, the defense can play too many passes across its back line which just becomes stifling as you're not participating in the game, you can't get the ball back until they decide to do something involving elsewhere on the pitch.

I found myself the best way to incite them to play more directly is to avoid pressing them and instead make sure to cut the passing lanes to the midfield. They will take more risk. Only press when you think you have a great chance to get something. It can be frustrating and counter intuitive when loosing.
You can also use the attack defense level and rise it to attack so your teammates are stepping a bit higher on the pitch.

I agree man, I’m loving being back on vanilla 16 1.00 at the moment. After playing a bit on the ps5, it’s really obvious to see just how far the new faces have come for the pc version. It still holds up so well visually.

Give this a try in your data folder (and regenerate) and see if you notice any difference in regards to cpu buildup. At this point I have no idea if it’s zero impact or a good one yet, just wanting some extra eyes on it..

https://mega.nz/file/IF1DSI5K#bdKs5pRNiZFaPbmtqKttYw9061mEqNyi_j3tZNDkvpk

Last edited:
I was out of the loop during the winter season, but compared to v1.0 have you given up on the expanded demo version? I still keep both v1 & the expanded demo version around.

I was out of the loop during the winter season, but compared to v1.0 have you given up on the expanded demo version? I still keep both v1 & the expanded demo version around.

In my experience, v1 plays overall better than the demo.
The on the ball part is more interesting with the demo, BUT the cpu is even less direct, it is too easy to dispossess dribbler. The CPU is even less varied with its attack. Most goals they score are headers. The overall positioning is better on the demo though.

Yes indeed!

I thin there is an additional stat that might deserve some attention and increase, it is the dribble one in chance creation (can't remember the name). It can be edited from ingame and I believe it impacts the cpu tendency to dribble vs pass when attacking.

I have read many people saying that they prefer FIFA 15 over 16, because CPU dribbles much more than in FIFA 16. I'd be awesome if that works.

Another incredible contribution Papinho. I still remember the first time I saw a gameplay of FIFA 16, I was shocked by the way teams were attacking all the time. It was like watching a real Premier League match.

I tested and actually the CPU is more direct to attack, but I can't change the lineups because the game crashes in the tactics/lines menu, so I had to go back with the backup.

Had pretty enjoyable games yesterday in vanilla. Did a few tweaks suggested to minimize the AI playing in the back and just waiting.
I need tot test Pass accuracy changes (higher, because I think lower just makes them ping pong). It shouldn't be called pass accuracy but pass confidence as I think higher leads them to try longer passes.
Gonna try the latest mods for turf and lighting from Anth's thread

I tested and actually the CPU is more direct to attack, but I can't change the lineups because the game crashes in the tactics/lines menu, so I had to go back with the backup.

The return button seems to freeze when in the custom tactics menu. Only way to defreeze it is to set the bu passing at or below hundred. If using the mod you have to edit team tactics directly in the dB with cm16 for instance.
You can edit your team one as long as you stay at or bellow 100.

Reactions: rlc
Hey guys, I posted this the other day but didn't explain it very well. It's the 'attribdbgameplay' file from the most updated FIFA 16 version (1.7). If you're playing on v1.00, add it into your data folder and regenerate.

@papinho81 and I have both played it and are really enjoying it. It seems to help in a few areas of v1.00 that were lacking, whilst still maintaining the organic benefits from the original. I'm hooked at the moment. I'm playing default sliders on v1.00 (aside from 60 powerbar for manual controls), vanilla cl.ini and normal speed.

1.7 'attibdbgameplay' mod: https://mega.nz/file/IF1DSI5K#bdKs5pRNiZFaPbmtqKttYw9061mEqNyi_j3tZNDkvpk

Hey guys, I posted this the other day but didn't explain it very well. It's the 'attribdbgameplay' file from the most updated FIFA 16 version (1.7). If you're playing on v1.00, add it into your data folder and regenerate.

@papinho81 and I have both played it and are really enjoying it. It seems to help in a few areas of v1.00 that were lacking, whilst still maintaining the organic benefits from the original. I'm hooked at the moment. I'm playing default sliders on v1.00 (aside from 60 powerbar for manual controls), vanilla cl.ini and normal speed.

1.7 'attibdbgameplay' mod: https://mega.nz/file/IF1DSI5K#bdKs5pRNiZFaPbmtqKttYw9061mEqNyi_j3tZNDkvpk
Thanks, I'll give this a whirl later. I don't have a cl.ini with v1.0

I'm wondering what is in a vanilla cl.ini and if you could share yours too? Anything useful in it?

Thanks, I'll give this a whirl later. I don't have a cl.ini with v1.0

I'm wondering what is in a vanilla cl.ini and if you could share yours too? Anything useful in it?
Oh I just meant vanilla as in there’s nothing of note at all in the cl.ini. I got rid of all gameplay related lines.

I feel like the CPU is shooting more from long range with the mod. Could all be placebo but I'm loving it at the moment..

Check out this effort from the CPU - that ball bends!

Also...just look at how good the positioning is in the pictures below. Villareal cutting off those passing lanes so well, multiple players always getting closer to the ball carrier. It all just feels very natural and makes you have to think so much more.

FIFA 16 Screenshot 2022.06.25 - 22.10.16.95.png
FIFA 16 Screenshot 2022.06.25 - 22.10.21.36.png

And....I'm getting destroyed, but when the CPU is scoring goals like this you just hold your hands up and say too good haha.

Last edited:
I downloaded the 1.0 and went step by step, when putting the FIFA16 1.0 folder below the fifa 16 Origin folder, i start up Origin in offline mode but keeps telling me the game isn't installed. totally deleted the game and have to install it again. done it 3 times and its the same thing.

do i have to put the FIFA 1.0 folder into the Origin installing folder?

I downloaded the 1.0 and went step by step, when putting the FIFA16 1.0 folder below the fifa 16 Origin folder, i start up Origin in offline mode but keeps telling me the game isn't installed. totally deleted the game and have to install it again. done it 3 times and its the same thing.

do i have to put the FIFA 1.0 folder into the Origin installing folder?

Yes and it has to be name "FIFA 16".

Back
Top Bottom