FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

I’m finding 16 plays better without gameplay lines in the cl.ini. I can't always pinpoint what changes with those lines, but I often feel they have a negative impact in animations and overall clunkiness. 16 isn't the smoothest of games at the best of times, but I definitely felt it was a bit smoother after playing on the ps5 and then on PC after deleting anything of note in the cl.ini...

I will try that, I noticed that when you add things to the cl.ini including stuff from supernovas gameplay that suddenly my passes are missing 50% of the time on semi.

I’m finding 16 plays better without gameplay lines in the cl.ini. I can't always pinpoint what changes with those lines, but I often feel they have a negative impact in animations and overall clunkiness. 16 isn't the smoothest of games at the best of times, but I definitely felt it was a bit smoother after playing on the ps5 and then on PC after deleting anything of note in the cl.ini...
Mm gotta check my cl, I know it had a line for scripting. Will see what else is there as it is now a frankenstein of lines. Will try vanilla cl with v1.0

What footy game are you enjoying lately @Anth James ?

My go to games when I just want to play for a couple of hours, once in a blue moon, are 14/15/16. And I don't see that changing in the next 10 years the way footy games are going, but regarding cl.ini, there is one thing I would kill to figure out.

In all three games you're going to get amazingly smooth animations and gameplay (noticeably better and more enjoyable than the default gameplay) if you play an 11v11 practice match. To do this you need to add this line in all games:

ENABLE_FULL_PRACTICE_ARENA=1

and select an 11v11 match once inside the practice arena.

Now I have no clue why this is. Maybe it's an optimization thing (The arena is much simpler and less demanding to render than a full stadium with crowd) so maybe the game then doesn't need to cut corners on animation cycles. I would love to know why but even more importantly, if only there was a way to force the game to pick this kind of setting for all modes... that would be truly awesome.

That's the same conclusion I came to as well time ago. I feel like cl.ini improves something gameplay wise, but at the same time worsen other stuff.. sort of a short blanket. I prefer the vanilla thing at this point.

That's the same conclusion I came to as well time ago. I feel like cl.ini improves something gameplay wise, but at the same time worsen other stuff.. sort of a short blanket. I prefer the vanilla thing at this point.

Yes, same here. The anticheat (read user input) were really doing their job but they also removed too much teeth to the cpu.
I am currently sticking with V1.0, slow speed, no cheat engine mod or speedhack, and only my gameplay mod, which I am unsure if it is a placebo thing.
I have great variety of games in term of scorelines, getting occasionally trashed by the cpu, even after all those years playing this game. Of course, I would love the cpu to stick more to their original tactics, instead of switching too often to a possession at all cost approach. But despite this cpu tendency possession wise, I am getting a great variety of game scenarios. The other day I played Liverpool at home with Man U. It was a really tense game that ended 0-0. Considering I am playing 15mins half, I find quite remarkable to get that kind of game.

Thank you mate, That done the trick. This game still looks amazing and feels like a brand new experience when you've gone so long with out playing it.

I didn't go for the new FIP patch, If I want to play with current rosters, I'll jump on PES 2021 or FIFA 22.

I've decided to download FIFA MW patch 3.50 which is the last major update for the 15/16 season seeing as how the official Origin update goes up to the end of that season, I wanted to play in the correct era just with the unlicensed kits and badges and missing faces corrected.

Mm gotta check my cl, I know it had a line for scripting. Will see what else is there as it is now a frankenstein of lines. Will try vanilla cl with v1.0

What footy game are you enjoying lately @Anth James ?
Haha I don't really know what I'm doing at the moment, going between a few games...never totally happy as usual:LMAO:

I have been enjoying 16 more lately though when just playing vanilla v1.0 on normal speed. It does so many things well, I just wish it was smoother!! I'm working on tweaking just a couple of simple slider settings to see if I can create some more pressure on the ball down the back. I'll post if I can get it to a decent level.

Last edited:
My go to games when I just want to play for a couple of hours, once in a blue moon, are 14/15/16. And I don't see that changing in the next 10 years the way footy games are going, but regarding cl.ini, there is one thing I would kill to figure out.

In all three games you're going to get amazingly smooth animations and gameplay (noticeably better and more enjoyable than the default gameplay) if you play an 11v11 practice match. To do this you need to add this line in all games:

Now I have no clue why this is. Maybe it's an optimization thing (The arena is much simpler and less demanding to render than a full stadium with crowd) so maybe the game then doesn't need to cut corners on animation cycles. I would love to know why but even more importantly, if only there was a way to force the game to pick this kind of setting for all modes... that would be truly awesome.
This sounds really interesting, I'll have to give this a try when I'm at the PC next.

Haha I don't really know what I'm doing at the moment, going between a few games...never totally happy as usual:LMAO:

I have been enjoying 16 more lately though when just playing vanilla v1.0 on normal speed. It does so many things well, I just wish it was smoother!! I'm working on tweaking just a couple of simple slider settings to see if I can create some more pressure on the ball down the back. I'll post if I can get it to a decent level.
Let me know if you hit some sweet spot in the sliders. Gonna give it a try all vanilla without cl to see how it plays
I get you man... Tbh I had a few games of FIFA 22 and I still found it enjoyable.

Let me know if you hit some sweet spot in the sliders. Gonna give it a try all vanilla without cl to see how it plays
I get you man... Tbh I had a few games of FIFA 22 and I still found it enjoyable.
Yeah I still enjoy 22 NG too. Obvious flaws and a few key things I’d like to correct but overall still enjoyable for me.

This didn’t work for me for some reason. When I went to 11v11 it just loads continuously and doesn’t let me press anything…

Thank you mate, That done the trick. This game still looks amazing and feels like a brand new experience when you've gone so long with out playing it.

I didn't go for the new FIP patch, If I want to play with current rosters, I'll jump on PES 2021 or FIFA 22.

I've decided to download FIFA MW patch 3.50 which is the last major update for the 15/16 season seeing as how the official Origin update goes up to the end of that season, I wanted to play in the correct era just with the unlicensed kits and badges and missing faces corrected.
It really does still look great after all this time and with the right mods.

FIFA 16 Screenshot 2022.06.20 - 22.48.05.56.png
FIFA 16 Screenshot 2022.06.20 - 22.48.36.40.png
FIFA 16 Screenshot 2022.06.20 - 22.49.10.42.png

I'm playing on vanilla too but latest Origin update, my main issue on normal speed is that some animations cycle too fast or appear sped up & I now understand what @Chris Davies was saying earlier if the thread where it appears as if the ball pings on every pass as if it was spring loaded, whic looks ridiculous especially once the COM begins it's short passing routine, it's like they're playing hot potato with the ball.

Now, I haven't looked at sliders yet, tempted to try the last Matt10 one's for this game & maybe yours unless you have updated ones I don't know of yet?

I'm playing on vanilla too but latest Origin update, my main issue on normal speed is that some animations cycle too fast or appear sped up & I now understand what @Chris Davies was saying earlier if the thread where it appears as if the ball pings on every pass as if it was spring loaded, whic looks ridiculous especially once the COM begins it's short passing routine, it's like they're playing hot potato with the ball.

Now, I haven't looked at sliders yet, tempted to try the last Matt10 one's for this game & maybe yours unless you have updated ones I don't know of yet?
v1.00 is better in terms of speed of animations and overall I find it better gameplay wise. Passing springing out too fast is something that has always annoyed me as well. It's probably the thing that frustrates me most about the game as it ruins much of the smooth feeling. The ball physics mod can help with this but you lose so much character in the ball that it just isn't really worth it in my opinion. I don't really have any major sliders that I use. I'm currently just playing vanilla v1.00 with Speed and Acceleration at 50/51, Line length at 60/60 and First touch error at 40/40.

v1.00 is better in terms of speed of animations and overall I find it better gameplay wise. Passing springing out too fast is something that has always annoyed me as well. It's probably the thing that frustrates me most about the game as it ruins much of the smooth feeling. The ball physics mod can help with this but you lose so much character in the ball that it just isn't really worth it in my opinion. I don't really have any major sliders that I use. I'm currently just playing vanilla v1.00 with Speed and Acceleration at 50/51, Line length at 60/60 and First touch error at 40/40.
Thanks, I tried using vanilla 1.0, copying it to my Origin folder, renaming it FIFA 16 & it launches but after the press start and loading my settings, it just hangs on the hub, it just shows the stadium but won't load the menus.

Have you experienced this before?

It hasn't froze as the adboards and music continues to play, just hangs...

Thanks, I tried using vanilla 1.0, copying it to my Origin folder, renaming it FIFA 16 & it launches but after the press start and loading my settings, it just hangs on the hub, it just shows the stadium but won't load the menus.

Have you experienced this before?

It hasn't froze as the adboards and music continues to play, just hangs...
Did you regenerate?

I didn't think of that, didn't known you had to just to play vanilla v1.0 after copying the folder over?
Don't know if this will help, but I put a guide together here on how to get v1 working. Works for me every time (I've done a few installations now), but it's fiddly:

Buy a PC code for FIFA 16 online, then redeem it with Origin, and download the game.

Then, when it appears to have downloaded, start the game and ensure that it has (sometimes it will say that it is not fully downloaded). If it hasn't, go into Origin, go to FIFA 16 and click "check for update". This should start the remaining download.

Once it has fully downloaded, and you've started the game to confirm it, quit the game and rename the FIFA 16 folder to e.g. "FIFA 16 Origin Version".

Then, download FIFA 16 v1 from the FIFA 16 thread and unzip it to the same place where the "FIFA 16 Origin Folder" is - NOT overwriting it but alongside it, calling it "FIFA 16" or whatever you originally called the folder when Origin installed the game.

(By alongside it, I mean - say the Origin version was installed to C:\Games\FIFA 16 Origin Version, once you've renamed it, then extract v1 to C:\Games\FIFA 16, which shouldn't currently exist.)

Then, to be safe, delete the FIFA 16 folder from your My Documents folder.

Then, start Origin - put it in offline mode - and try to boot FIFA from the desktop shortcut (which should launch the v1 FIFA EXE).

It will ask you to confirm your Origin email address and password. Once you have done that, it should never ask you again.

If it works - GREAT! Then, quit, and (if you're going to install patches), delete the My Documents -> FIFA 16 folder again.

Then, you install any patches and mods you like to the v1 FIFA 16 folder as you normally would. That folder being C:\Games\FIFA 16 now.

Follow the instructions for those mods, which will usually require "regenerating" afterwards (see below).

That's it!

----------

You can just drop in other people's cl.ini files (which let you change most attributes) into the folder, to change gameplay massively.

The most difficult bit is "rebuilding" after installing each mod - you need to download a tool that basically builds an index file for the game to "read" (like Creation Master 16, download here) so all your new files get picked up and used by the game. But all you need to do for that is install the tool, point it to your FIFA 16 directory after you've unzipped all the mods there, and click "rebuild".

Don't know if this will help, but I put a guide together here on how to get v1 working. Works for me every time (I've done a few installations now), but it's fiddly:
You legend, yeah I think the only step I missed was regeneration. I'll do this when I get home, and I'll let you know if it worked.

This didn’t work for me for some reason. When I went to 11v11 it just loads continuously and doesn’t let me press anything…

Just tried it, practice matches work perfectly in 14 & 15 but I get the same endless loading in 16 which is weird as I didn't think it was removed until 17 with frostbite. Oh well, my bad! 16 is by default smoother & better than 15 on the animation department anyway. But if anyone tries it on 14 or 15, they will def. see & feel the difference.

Playing fifa for years, you might have noticed slightly different physics/animations depending on competition/weather/time of day. These I believe are hardcoded somewhere in the exe, and the practice match is usually the smoothest of the bunch.

@Anth James The observation that passes are simultaneously too fast and too slow is a good one. I'd also add that crosses often pick up more steam about halfway through the air, and then come down like a missile.

@papinho81 Where do we put those two LOD files, on the root, and regen?

@Anth James The observation that passes are simultaneously too fast and too slow is a good one. I'd also add that crosses often pick up more steam about halfway through the air, and then come down like a missile.

@papinho81 Where do we put those two LOD files, on the root, and regen?

You have to put them here:

\Origin Games\FIFA 16\data\fifarna\lua

@papinho81 Hey Pap! Could you send me the camera you use? Might give it a run!

Here it is.
It contains the muse folder with the tweaked camera (not much can be done for the thirdplayer cam unlike with frostbite games).
And the db xml file with the procamzoom tweaked to increase the zoom outside the 0-20 range (it doesn't work for the other cameras unfortunately). I like a zoom of 40 to 45. I wish I could adjust the height the camera takes when inside my own box. I would love to have it much lower.

Attachments

• data.zip
    687.4 KB · Views: 14
You legend, yeah I think the only step I missed was regeneration. I'll do this when I get home, and I'll let you know if it worked.
So I finally got it working. I followed the instructions down to the letter and still kept getting the no menu bug even after regen.

So after googling I came across this ancient YouTube fix

Turns out, you go into your FIFA 16 main folder and search for "data_patch.big" and "data_patch.bh".

And inexplicably delete them both, boot the game and viola! Your menu returns and you can finally enjoy the footballing nirvana of FIFA 16 V1.0.

I have no idea what those two files are, what they do or why it fixes the game but who cares, it got me into the matrix.

Turns out, you go into your FIFA 16 main folder and search for "data_patch.big" and "data_patch.bh".

Applied any mods to v1.0? Maybe a mod assumes an updated/patched version and there's a version mismatch somewhere since it's actually v1.0. (I think those files are supposed to change with later patches as their name implies).

Last edited:
Applied any mods to v1.0? Maybe a mod assumes an updated/patched version and there's a version mismatch somewhere since it's actually v1.0. (I think those files are supposed to change with later patches as their name implies).
I haven't yet, I did earlier, Installed MW 3.50 on top of V1.0 and I got the menu bug.

So I deleted everything, started from Chris's steps again from scratch and got the bug again, then tried this fix.

I'm going to try it with mods later and I'll update with my results.

Gave vanilla a try without the cl.ini file. Tbh it felt the same, I only played one game so I def need more testing, but it was actually a really frustrating game, I was playing in pro level against a 75 rated team and the first half they just held the ball, 93% passing completions and I couldnt get the ball back (40-60 possession). 1st half was shit, second half was a bit better, more battles and a few more mistakes. they did end up the game with passing completion high. Really didnt enjoy it.

I love '16 so I think it might have been just a bad game, I hadnt played in a while so I might need to adjust, dont know if last time I played I had reset sliders so that might need some changes bc they were all default. I actually think I had some written down that were very enjoyable.

Will try again tomorrow with cl file

Back
Top Bottom