FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Patch number 5 is now available for PC players to download, coming soon to Xbox One and PS4.

The patch is focused on gameplay with particular attention being paid to penalty decisions, passing once more, player positioning and defensive pressure, which has been a gripe for many in FIFA 16.

Here's the full patch list:
  • Improvements to the Rules and Physics systems to have better referee decisions and help address penalty decisions.
  • Behavioral changes in ‘Secondary Contain’ and ‘Interceptions’ to help balance high-pressure situations.
  • Improvements in how quickly fatigue effects occur for players using ‘Aggressive Interceptions’ and ‘Secondary Contain’.
  • This could, in turn, have an impact on your ability to apply high pressure as the game progresses and your players become increasingly fatigued.
  • Instances where no auto tackle launched even when positioned properly.
  • Improvements in the positioning system to allow for better attacking runs and support.
Additionally, there have been changes to attribute boosts in FUT that affect interceptions, passing and long shots.

Patch number 5 is now available for PC players to download, coming soon to Xbox One and PS4.

The patch is focused on gameplay with particular attention being paid to penalty decisions, passing once more, player positioning and defensive pressure, which has been a gripe for many in FIFA 16.

Here's the full patch list:
  • Improvements to the Rules and Physics systems to have better referee decisions and help address penalty decisions.
  • Behavioral changes in ‘Secondary Contain’ and ‘Interceptions’ to help balance high-pressure situations.
  • Improvements in how quickly fatigue effects occur for players using ‘Aggressive Interceptions’ and ‘Secondary Contain’.
  • This could, in turn, have an impact on your ability to apply high pressure as the game progresses and your players become increasingly fatigued.
  • Instances where no auto tackle launched even when positioned properly.
  • Improvements in the positioning system to allow for better attacking runs and support.
Additionally, there have been changes to attribute boosts in FUT that affect interceptions, passing and long shots.

Thx!

I hope the first one reduces the stupid penalty decisions I´m ranting about for days on here :P

played a tons of it with my mates last nite. main problem is when its fairly a loose ball/pass there, players dont give a shite about it on both sides the cpu makes them run away from the ball rather towards it, only YOU can make one player run at the ball. very annoying.

anyone experiencing this? i want to find out what causing this. is this by default, a slider doing this or some career patch of mine? (i dont have much time to test it out)

I guess I know what you mean, have also seen this, playing with default sliders on Profi and most of the time Legendary. Don't also know which is the cause for that but I think it was a patch that made it.

Uploaded a new match from my Career Mode season in Liga Adelante.

Modded with sliders and cl.ini file. World Class diff. Mods slow game down quite a bit, almost to the point where you could probably put a real match side by side and have pass speeds, turn speeds, general movement etc match pretty well. AI plays wonderfully realistic, with lots of missed passes, creative moves and unpredictability.

0-0 after the first half, then I quickly went down 0-3, then quickly got back to 2-3, followed by a full team push for the equalizer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUyfDdcG6TU

Watch on youtube for 60fps.

Seems really great. Can you give the link of the cl.ini?
Uploaded a new match from my Career Mode season in Liga Adelante.

Modded with sliders and cl.ini file. World Class diff. Mods slow game down quite a bit, almost to the point where you could probably put a real match side by side and have pass speeds, turn speeds, general movement etc match pretty well. AI plays wonderfully realistic, with lots of missed passes, creative moves and unpredictability.

0-0 after the first half, then I quickly went down 0-3, then quickly got back to 2-3, followed by a full team push for the equalizer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUyfDdcG6TU

Watch on youtube for 60fps.

Interesting a 5th patch! Wonder when it'll come out for PS4.

I'm finally gonna start a CM mode once it does. I've been saying that for awhile... :D just don't have time.

You're welcome. I'd probably recommend atleast 10 mins per half since the point of the slower pace is to feel like you have enough time to play good build-up play, aswell as not feel obligated to constantly pressure in defence. It's very rewarding when you just hold positions well, and see the AI pass around with no way forward. Wait long enough and they are bound to make mistakes in passing or trapping since pass error is much higher, and trapping is much more loose and variable-feeling.

Also the driven pass is now more risky to use in tight spots since trapping them will be harder, so it's best used with more space, or if you feel like you want to risk losing possession.

as u did this cl.ini do you think is it possible to increase player reaction time or whatever could be related to this?

played a tons of it with my mates last nite. main problem is when its fairly a loose ball/pass there, players dont give a shite about it on both sides the cpu makes them run away from the ball rather towards it, only YOU can make one player run at the ball. very annoying.

anyone experiencing this? i want to find out what causing this. is this by default, a slider doing this or some career patch of mine? (i dont have much time to test it out)

as u did this cl.ini do you think is it possible to increase player reaction time or whatever could be related to this?

I cannot take credit for the cl.ini actually, I only edited a few values to slow the game down. Fidel over at Soccergaming made the cl.ini, as well as found many of the parameters.

Regarding the reaction issue you describe, I'm not sure what could help solve it.

WOW. The new patch sounds like it could potentially be spectacular - they don't usually make such big(-sounding) changes in a patch.

WOW. The new patch sounds like it could potentially be spectacular - they don't usually make such big(-sounding) changes in a patch.
bs penalties (opponent running to defender) still happen but less frequent. they really need to do something about zig zag dribbling, impossible to jockey/defend the zig zag dribbling, plus they get a speed boost from zig zagging

I didn't realise it was out now - reviews please, PC guys!

Glad to hear penalties are improved, even if they're still a bit dodgy.

The zig-zag dribbling is incredibly annoying online.

played CM and unsure but seems like cpu plays more forward games...often got caught on a counter against Everton and Sunderland aswell where they ended up shooting or crossing 90%. it has nothing to do with the patch according to the changelog but thats what i feel in the first place. the game plays more direct football = gameplay is a bit faster

EDIT: my other problem with the game that is too easy to score from FK from close range 16-20yrds

Last edited:
I'm having a blast with the game lately so hopefully the patch doesn't change much. Sounds like it's more meant for multiplayer issues though.

I didn't realise it was out now - reviews please, PC guys!

Glad to hear penalties are improved, even if they're still a bit dodgy.

The zig-zag dribbling is incredibly annoying online.

In our sliders thread on OS, we have been playing with the PC patch update for several days.

The main thing I'm seeing is that the outside backs are more tucked in defensively, almost too much - so some compensation was needed by expanding length.

Defensive reactions are back and if you change your individual tactics to aggressive interception, your players will definitely be more aggressive on passes into space, or those that they can catch up to by sticking out a foot, etc.

Both user and CPU runs off the ball are more improved. It's not a blinding sprint forward, but more of an actual finding of space, and checking to the ball. Before run frequency was showing the type of runs versus just the frequency. Now, it seems to be more geared on what it says, which is the actual run frequency amount.

I have seen some pretty great defensive plays including one that sticks out showing my defenders aggressively tackle diagonally versus just face on with the attacker. There are some little things like that, that go along way.

Overall, the 1.05 update has no negative effects, which is still hard to believe, but I'm still dissecting it as testing the slider limits on a daily basis.

bs penalties (opponent running to defender) still happen but less frequent. they really need to do something about zig zag dribbling, impossible to jockey/defend the zig zag dribbling, plus they get a speed boost from zig zagging

Since the latest patch I didn´t have no bullshit penalty no more.
Thx god! This gave me back a lot of joy for FUT!

Yes the zig zag dribbling fucks me up too.
Mostly I use my striker to slide in immediately after kick off.
It often helps.

Also depends on who you play against.
There are a lot of pricks out there that do that right after they conceded a goal.
If they´d work on defending or cut down that zig zag dribbling after kick off (seems like that player has a dribbling boost) it would be almost perfect.

Anyway I´m having a blast with this game. Online and offline.

Patch 1.05 out now on PS4...

I can't play because I'm at work, but the impressions I'm reading are great!

If anyone downloads it today, let us know what you think.

I still feel excited by the game and enjoy the game months after its release, BUT, I can't shake the feeling that the game would be infinitely improved if teams really played differently from each other (in a big way) and players relied on their individual strengths.

I love the career mode, and I'll be starting again with the new patch to get the full benefit of it, but I find that playing e.g. Leicester in the Premier League followed by AIK in the Europa League, the play is the same and the result is the same. It's still (for me) the best football game I've ever played, yet somehow, it's only halfway there.

If EA ever get to the point where teams feel drastically different from each other, and tactics are as important as player attributes, I can't see myself playing any other sports game for as long as I live.

cant wait to try this new patch although it will probably mess with the sliders :) 1st world problems!!

Im amazed there has been 5 patches already i thought there was a limit to how many they could release

cant wait to try this new patch although it will probably mess with the sliders :) 1st world problems!!

Im amazed there has been 5 patches already i thought there was a limit to how many they could release
There's no limit I'm aware of (there used to be filesize limits on the old gen - Microsoft implemented that, I think - but they've been abolished due to the size of current-gen games).

I'm surprised that they're still making changes, though. Financially I don't see a benefit for them - the game is still selling like hot cakes - so it's weird, but, brilliant, obviously!

It's almost as if the bad reviews (which I don't think were actually deserved in most cases) have spurred them on to make 16 better now, as opposed to making 17 better (though I fear, due to said reviews, it'll be an arcade game)...

In our sliders thread on OS, we have been playing with the PC patch update for several days.

The main thing I'm seeing is that the outside backs are more tucked in defensively, almost too much - so some compensation was needed by expanding length.

Defensive reactions are back and if you change your individual tactics to aggressive interception, your players will definitely be more aggressive on passes into space, or those that they can catch up to by sticking out a foot, etc.

Both user and CPU runs off the ball are more improved. It's not a blinding sprint forward, but more of an actual finding of space, and checking to the ball. Before run frequency was showing the type of runs versus just the frequency. Now, it seems to be more geared on what it says, which is the actual run frequency amount.

I have seen some pretty great defensive plays including one that sticks out showing my defenders aggressively tackle diagonally versus just face on with the attacker. There are some little things like that, that go along way.

Overall, the 1.05 update has no negative effects, which is still hard to believe, but I'm still dissecting it as testing the slider limits on a daily basis.

You mean width, right?

so what do you think guys about the tactics? arent they set up right like in PES or they do just arent they affecting the game that well?
The latter, I'd say. I think the teams are set up to be realistic, but not "extreme" enough maybe - but even when they are, it doesn't make enough of a difference in decision-making and CPU possession / accuracy.

For example, if I set a team to play long balls, they WILL play long balls (and this makes lower-league matches more realistic) - but the pass accuracy, shot accuracy and everything else will still be a ridiculously high number. The decision-making, and the moves/dribbles that the AI do that always work against you, are always the same. Those long balls are always to a man in a good position that I can't beat to the ball - they're never "desperate" passes, and they never really fail, so every game feels very similar.

As Liverpool, if I play an average Premier League side or an average League One side (on Legendary), the pass accuracy and the result is always very similar (one goal in it, maybe two - 85%-95% pass accuracy - very few bad decisions and mistakes).

Back
Top Bottom