FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

the actual team tactics, player instructions work well

still the main issues are this not caring about the loose ball & with free kicks are very easy to hit the target, especially in close range

Last edited:
If EA ever get to the point where teams feel drastically different from each other, and tactics are as important as player attributes, I can't see myself playing any other sports game for as long as I live.

Well, I for myself never thought that EA is gonna get FIFA´s gameplay right but they proved it with FIFA 15 and 16 improved on that sector anyway.

I think it´s more likely that soon they are gonna get tactics and player attributes right as well.

At least there is hope ;)

Patch 1.05 out now on PS4...

I can't play because I'm at work, but the impressions I'm reading are great!

If anyone downloads it today, let us know what you think.

I still feel excited by the game and enjoy the game months after its release, BUT, I can't shake the feeling that the game would be infinitely improved if teams really played differently from each other (in a big way) and players relied on their individual strengths.

I love the career mode, and I'll be starting again with the new patch to get the full benefit of it, but I find that playing e.g. Leicester in the Premier League followed by AIK in the Europa League, the play is the same and the result is the same. It's still (for me) the best football game I've ever played, yet somehow, it's only halfway there.

If EA ever get to the point where teams feel drastically different from each other, and tactics are as important as player attributes, I can't see myself playing any other sports game for as long as I live.

I agree completely. Team tactics - and defending to a lesser degree - are really the only two big negatives for me right now.

As a base, this is a fantastic game. But I've played through three seasons now in CM, and though games have been mostly lots of fun, they all feel WAY too similar.

any idea on PC, with Moddingway patch 4.0 database why Dinamo Zagreb has no squad hell i couldnt even find them on the market yet the game picked as CL opponent for me and they always forfeit their game as their squad is too small

On XB1, and the patch hasnt arrived yet.
How about off pressure?
Can you press the CPU more?
Sick of playing against teams who has 90-94%pass acc.
Feels like Playing vs Real Madrid every time,and I'm playing The Championship.

Sounds promising. Gonna get the PS4 patch later on tonight or tomorrow when I finally get a chance to play!

You mean width, right?

No, I did mean Length.

When you expand length, the width of the pitch increases naturally because players are further apart. They are not staggered where the CB is on top of the other CB, no - they spread out, throughout the entire of the pitch - for proper coverage.

I agree completely. Team tactics - and defending to a lesser degree - are really the only two big negatives for me right now.

As a base, this is a fantastic game. But I've played through three seasons now in CM, and though games have been mostly lots of fun, they all feel WAY too similar.

This is why increasing length is more beneficial for the game's behavior. At default, the pitch is not spread out enough, the forwards are still 10-15 yards away from the midfielders. When a long ball is played from the back towards a forward, that forward should be past the halfway mark - instead he's sitting in the semi circle. IRL, there is a lot more space between players in length - but a proper line will compress and decompress depending on the ball's location, or match scenario.

Here is a long pass over the top from the top with length at 60:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMqd99bWJUM

Not sure I like this patch. Feels really fast. The CPU is much more aggressive in attack, pass speed seems quicker, the pace feels more like FIFA 15.

yeah i think too is heading to be FIFA 15.5 there is tons of examples where the attacker is facing two defenders only, the midfield is indeed thinner...just like in 15 where it was all about running trough the pitch with no frontline pressure, no midfield but two-three stupid defenders against zigzag dribbling Ronaldo, Messi....now its not there but just with this patch the game made a small step in that direction

Not sure I like this patch. Feels really fast. The CPU is much more aggressive in attack, pass speed seems quicker, the pace feels more like FIFA 15.

yeah i think too is heading to be FIFA 15.5 there is tons of examples where the attacker is facing two defenders only, the midfield is indeed thinner...just like in 15 where it was all about running trough the pitch with no frontline pressure, no midfield but two-three stupid defenders against zigzag dribbling Ronaldo, Messi....now its not there but just with this patch the game made a small step in that direction

Because...there is no defensive width. Look at the LB/RB, they stay very compact defensively, but will expand offensively. It sets the tone to just run down the pitch because proper coverage is virtually non-existant.

Because...there is no defensive width. Look at the LB/RB, they stay very compact defensively, but will expand offensively. It sets the tone to just run down the pitch because proper coverage is virtually non-existant.

Yea I might mess with those defensive sliders, I'm suffering so many through balls, on the ground and over the defenders, my CBs are always chasing someone after this patch, which makes pace key again.

The auto anticipation in the default 16 gameplay felt overpowered at first, but the more you played, you kinda of knew how to avoid it, and overall it brought a great balance to the game.

But patch after patch after patch, I'm feeling they are nerfing this, and there we go having to adapt our whole defense again.

i think they a bit unbalanced the game with this greater pressure. the cpu gets the ball easily and im facing with 4-5 strikers already in the final third often. maybe messing with the sliders, playing more defensively this can be solved.

i also wanted to rage about how the cpu cheats with low teams. means they score a lucky goal and go all out defense and you cant do anything...but i wont two games in the 90+ minutes :D last night and scored 3 goals there. also turned a game from 1-0 to 4-1 after the 60th minute...its pretty nice that u can feel when the opponent goes all out attack and their defence is voulnerable, also if they are one man down

Defensive width is an issue, and exploiting the wings to bypass the midfield is all too easy, but it was already an issue prior to this patch. Fullback positioning has been a problematic characteristic of FIFA 16 since the start. It does appear to be even worse now - I've been seeing my fullbacks pop up in my CAM/CF positions now!

But there's a lot more going on than just defensive width. Passing is faster and more crisp, which speeds up play. Runs are more lively and frequent, which speeds up play. The CPU is playing much more aggressive now, which speeds up play.

I will say that I did enjoy some of the changes to the attacking runs, as I noticed some variety in attack I hadn't seen before. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more next I play but with this patch EA clearly listened to the FUT crowd who've been complaining about attack being too hard, AI defending being overpowered, and the game being not as "fun" (i.e. high scoring) as last year's.

i think they a bit unbalanced the game with this greater pressure. the cpu gets the ball easily and im facing with 4-5 strikers already in the final third often. maybe messing with the sliders, playing more defensively this can be solved.

i also wanted to rage about how the cpu cheats with low teams. means they score a lucky goal and go all out defense and you cant do anything...but i wont two games in the 90+ minutes :D last night and scored 3 goals there. also turned a game from 1-0 to 4-1 after the 60th minute...its pretty nice that u can feel when the opponent goes all out attack and their defence is voulnerable, also if they are one man down

Lowering the CPU's line length to a 10 pt differential has helped bring back the midfield for me. At the moment it's at 60/50 - which allows the pitch to have better coverage, and not feel like every player is backing off into the defensive midfield - and then switching sides.

I've also incorporated the FB positioning and run frequency to 1/1 considering the fact 1.05 update is all about dynamic runs and pace of play. It's too hectic with those values above "1" where as before, it would be very stagnant and CPU would have no true attack method. Even at the "1" values, it's like the CPU is running on a run frequency of 30/30 and the FBs are still pushing up the field.

Here is my latest stream showing the findings: http://www.twitch.tv/matt10l/v/30240611

Defensive width is an issue, and exploiting the wings to bypass the midfield is all too easy, but it was already an issue prior to this patch. Fullback positioning has been a problematic characteristic of FIFA 16 since the start. It does appear to be even worse now - I've been seeing my fullbacks pop up in my CAM/CF positions now!

But there's a lot more going on than just defensive width. Passing is faster and more crisp, which speeds up play. Runs are more lively and frequent, which speeds up play. The CPU is playing much more aggressive now, which speeds up play.

I will say that I did enjoy some of the changes to the attacking runs, as I noticed some variety in attack I hadn't seen before. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more next I play but with this patch EA clearly listened to the FUT crowd who've been complaining about attack being too hard, AI defending being overpowered, and the game being not as "fun" (i.e. high scoring) as last year's.

Before the patch the defensive width would actually expand, but now they stay fairly close to eachother. Yes, they were tucked in a bit before, but at least the value of width could be adjusted - or even the custom tactics if you're not a slider guy.

I agree completely though, so many different 'features' that are geared towards rapid pace of play has hurt this game. We are making progress with sliders, but the FB positioning is not going to be fixed with them unfortunately. Either way, much better than Attention Deficit Defending (ADD) of FIFA 15 and early 16.

played a tons of it with my mates last nite. main problem is when its fairly a loose ball/pass there, players dont give a shite about it on both sides the cpu makes them run away from the ball rather towards it, only YOU can make one player run at the ball. very annoying.

anyone experiencing this? i want to find out what causing this. is this by default, a slider doing this or some career patch of mine? (i dont have much time to test it out)

IMO loose ball awareness by players is the biggest flaw in FIFA. Players often run away from the ball until someone touches it and then player AI again becomes aware of the ball. This is most frustrating when there is a loose ball in the penalty area.

There really isn't anymore loose ball awareness problems. It's fixed in 1.05 quite a bit.

With the right settings, 1.05 can be enjoyable - however the defensive line width is still an issue. Also fouls are lacking, so have to do more testing.

There really isn't anymore loose ball awareness problems. It's fixed in 1.05 quite a bit.

With the right settings, 1.05 can be enjoyable - however the defensive line width is still an issue. Also fouls are lacking, so have to do more testing.

just did rage quit because of loose balls

Any recommended slider set yet, Matt?

Here is our Set "M" (for midfield). Still doing some testing to get more fouls and better pitch coverage down the flanks since the FB's are so tucked in.

Set M - "M" for midfield
World Class, 10-15 minutes, Slow
Legacy Defending (not tested Tactical)

Sprint - 40/40 - this has been a value that has always worked since Set E. Lower it further, but beware of jogging animation.
Acceleration - 48/48 - the sweetspot to get enough fatigue/stamina drain, but also not make players feel like they are ice skating.
Shot Error - 52/52 - lower for more shots on target or if playing on minutes under 10.
Pass Error - 60/60 - helps the CPU and user to have a more human like approach.
Shot Speed - 50/50 - keeping it simple, change for personal preference.
Pass Speed - 40/40 - the attack is too crazy and unrealistic pass speed is part of that.
Injury Frequency - 50/50 - untouched
Injury Severity - 50/50 - untouched
GK Ability - 30/30 - CPU performs backward save animations at different shot speeds and GK ability, keeping it simple at the reliable 30, adjust as you see fit.
Marking - 60/60 - Patch 1.05 allows marking to be increased without ADD. This is the perfect number as players will remain in the passing lanes but also allow for some physicality.
Run Frequency - 1/1 - Patch 1.05 introduces better runs, but a higher run frequency creates a very chaotic game, consider 1/1 being equivalent to a setting like 30/30 because FB positioning has a lot to do with those runs as well.
Line Height - 50/50 - Careful adjusting height as it can hurt the entire shape and the defensive attitude. Leaving this one to personal preference, but don't say we didn't warn you.
Line Length - 70/60 - The most important value here. The 10 pt differential allows the CPU to actually build up their attack, and make some tough decisions. The user also is forced to build up their attack. The defensive support is there, as is the offensive support. You can also go to 50/40, or the preferred 70/60 if you'd like, but remember 10 pt differential and CPU must be lower than user in length.
Line Width - 50/50 - Untouched, keeping this one true to the tactics selected - does not affect defensive width anyways.
Fullbacks - 1/1 - Very important here too, the FB will get up the pitch - do not worry about that - they are another layer of run support, so if you increase this one, it will become chaotic and very end to end because they are out of position quite a bit.
First Touch - 60/60 - Personal preference, slows down the pace of play slightly.

and a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaKxaun5NrU

Here is our Set "M" (for midfield). Still doing some testing to get more fouls and better pitch coverage down the flanks since the FB's are so tucked in.

Set M - "M" for midfield
World Class? That's interesting, I find World Class to be much more about direct play and high-pressure - why not Legendary, out of interest?

World Class? That's interesting, I find World Class to be much more about direct play and high-pressure - why not Legendary, out of interest?
I haven't had the time to test Legendary just yet, and we are still collecting feedback on those who have.

The way I test, and play my CM, is Home Matches = World Class and Away Matches = Legendary, but so far 1.05 has proved to take a bit of a process to find a base set of sliders. World Class is where we start, then see if it is an easy transition to Legendary. With the exception of FIFA 15, the WC/LG transition was never so glaring that it disrupted the fundamentals of what the base set tries to accomplish. Basically, if there were exploits that were different between WC and Legendary, we'd have an issue - most of the time there is not.

the way the AI plays with its tiki-taka and driven passes just makes single player too annoying to play even with this patch. literally every player is capable blasting the ball around like Steven Gerrard, there's no individualism at all in some areas

FIFA is such a poor product in general, they haven't had to worry about competition for years and thus have almost zero incentive to improve. just stupid eye-catching features like no-touch dribbling or 300 new animations whilst the game doesn't even come close to touching on the intricacies of football, especially how players move off the ball. with their exclusive rights to team licenses their approach they won't ever have to change their ways either, it's a complete monopoly.

btw i saw some people talking about team tactics and long balls - oddly on the demo (which I still play sometimes) these work perfectly. whilst on the retail game the AI just doesn't play near as many lobbed passes... it's really bizarre.

Last edited:
Wear new boxers before playing?

giphy.gif

the way the AI plays with its tiki-taka and driven passes just makes single player too annoying to play even with this patch. literally every player is capable blasting the ball around like Steven Gerrard, there's no individualism at all in some areas

FIFA is such a poor product in general, they haven't had to worry about competition for years and thus have almost zero incentive to improve. just stupid eye-catching features like no-touch dribbling or 300 new animations whilst the game doesn't even come close to touching on the intricacies of football, especially how players move off the ball. with their exclusive rights to team licenses their approach they won't ever have to change their ways either, it's a complete monopoly.

btw i saw some people talking about team tactics and long balls - oddly on the demo (which I still play sometimes) these work perfectly. whilst on the retail game the AI just doesn't play near as many lobbed passes... it's really bizarre.

It's an absolute disgrace.... EA are shameless and the situation reeks of corruption in the licensing and game reviewing scene.

Set M - "M" for midfield

Sprint - 40/40 - this has been a value that has always worked since Set E. Lower it further, but beware of jogging animation.
Acceleration - 48/48 - the sweetspot to get enough fatigue/stamina drain, but also not make players feel like they are ice skating.
Shot Error - 52/52 - lower for more shots on target or if playing on minutes under 10.
Pass Error - 60/60 - helps the CPU and user to have a more human like approach.
Shot Speed - 50/50 - keeping it simple, change for personal preference.
Pass Speed - 40/40 - the attack is too crazy and unrealistic pass speed is part of that.
Injury Frequency - 50/50 - untouched
Injury Severity - 50/50 - untouched
GK Ability - 30/30 - CPU performs backward save animations at different shot speeds and GK ability, keeping it simple at the reliable 30, adjust as you see fit.
Marking - 60/60 - Patch 1.05 allows marking to be increased without ADD. This is the perfect number as players will remain in the passing lanes but also allow for some physicality.
Run Frequency - 1/1 - Patch 1.05 introduces better runs, but a higher run frequency creates a very chaotic game, consider 1/1 being equivalent to a setting like 30/30 because FB positioning has a lot to do with those runs as well.
Line Height - 50/50 - Careful adjusting height as it can hurt the entire shape and the defensive attitude. Leaving this one to personal preference, but don't say we didn't warn you.
Line Length - 70/60 - The most important value here. The 10 pt differential allows the CPU to actually build up their attack, and make some tough decisions. The user also is forced to build up their attack. The defensive support is there, as is the offensive support. You can also go to 50/40, or the preferred 70/60 if you'd like, but remember 10 pt differential and CPU must be lower than user in length.
Line Width - 50/50 - Untouched, keeping this one true to the tactics selected - does not affect defensive width anyways.
Fullbacks - 1/1 - Very important here too, the FB will get up the pitch - do not worry about that - they are another layer of run support, so if you increase this one, it will become chaotic and very end to end because they are out of position quite a bit.
First Touch - 60/60 - Personal preference, slows down the pace of play slightly.

and a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaKxaun5NrU

These are great sliders , I've altered themy slightly for legendary as passing rate was mid 90s now it's at 85-87 .I lost 2-0 to Tottenham and 1-0 to Everton but the game is well paced and balanced..also saw 5 fouls in the Tottenham game with a red for harry k and 6 against Everton

What difficulty are you playing with?
I use professional and don´t have no issues so far i.e. no annoying CPU playing.

I also haven´t experienced that "loose ball" thing some peeps were talking about.

Offline is an absolute joy to me...I almost have nothing to complain.

I also don´t feel that in my CM, every CPU team plays the same.
That´s maybe also because I haven´t studied playing styles of different teams and don´t expect them to play a specific style like someone else does when playing against Barca and is waiting for tiki taka or something.

I play in the Bundesliga and to me teams do play differently.
At least it´s not like that I see the same build up play or that the AI is doing long shots, 1-2´s or crosses only.

As that´s not the case, it´s fine to me.

Back
Top Bottom