FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

I use my own sliders , nothing to drastic passing error , shooting error and first touch altered slightly

And that's probably why you don't consider WC/Legendary that hard. Again, for the one millionth time, I'm talking about default.

I'm not saying that WC and Legendary can't be made to play well with sliders. And I'm not saying they're impossible and can't be beaten.

All that I'm saying is that there is a really big leap from Pro to WC, and there are a number of issues that really become pronounced on the higher difficulty levels that make for an extremely frustrating experience when playing with default settings.

While there's people saying nothing has changed with the patch, there are also people saying some of these frustrations have been improved. I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up but I really hope the latter group is right.

I played on default too, I don't see the issue. I didn't tweak it because it was hard I tweaked it to my preferred method of playing. Everyone's interpretation will be slightly different

I played on default too, I don't see the issue. I didn't tweak it because it was hard I tweaked it to my preferred method of playing. Everyone's interpretation will be slightly different

I agree about interpretation, for sure, and maybe you're just much better than me, but the frustrations I'm talking about aren't born out of interpretation and have been voiced by many.

I say it's not based on interpretation because it's supported by the end of match stats - when playing on the higher difficulties, and even when playing against inferior competition, the CPU is almost always able to win the balance of possession, no matter the outcome of the match. They also tend to end matches with far more tackles, indicative of their advantage in being able to apply tight pressure.

If this isn't your experience - if you're able to dominate a match in terms of not just scoreline but also possession and tackles - I'd really love to see a video. Not that I don't believe you; it's just I've yet to see evidence that this is indeed possible without using sliders,and I'm genuinely seeking tips to improve my own experience.

I agree about interpretation, for sure, and maybe you're just much better than me, but the frustrations I'm talking about aren't born out of interpretation and have been voiced by many.

I say it's not based on interpretation because it's supported by the end of match stats - when playing on the higher difficulties, and even when playing against inferior competition, the CPU is almost always able to win the balance of possession, no matter the outcome of the match. They also tend to end matches with far more tackles, indicative of their advantage in being able to apply tight pressure.

If this isn't your experience - if you're able to dominate a match in terms of not just scoreline but also possession and tackles - I'd really love to see a video. Not that I don't believe you; it's just I've yet to see evidence that this is indeed possible without using sliders,and I'm genuinely seeking tips to improve my own experience.

Just wondering mate, in the game how do you feel like difficulties should be implemented. What would be a satisfactory implementation of Legendary vs Professional, without the cpu at higher levels being able to control possession better, attack better, tackle better etc. How do you raise the difficulty in a football game without these things happening, even with weaker teams?

Just wondering mate, in the game how do you feel like difficulties should be implemented. What would be a satisfactory implementation of Legendary vs Professional, without the cpu at higher levels being able to control possession better, attack better, tackle better etc. How do you raise the difficulty in a football game without these things happening, even with weaker teams?

Honestly I don't have major gripes with the way difficulty scales in fifa, though I think the leap from Pro to WC is too great this year, especially relative to the leap from WC to Legendary, and I'd prefer the focus to be more on AI ability in terms of decision making and less on stat boosts.

The issue I'm seeing is that there's some imbalances in gameplay that are just really exaggerated on the higher difficulties, with the main problems being that the AI is programmed to pass conservatively around the back and is able to do so better than it should, especially when playing with less than elite teams, because we can't really apply pressure effectively.

So for example, if I'm an elite team playing against a lower level club, I have absolutely no issue losing to them, but I want the loss to come from the way a lower league team typically would win - tight defense, counter attacks, long balls, etc - and not be more representative of what playing against a tiki taka Barca side.

I love that this FIFA is a challenge, especially in terms of attack, but I don't enjoy being forced to play a super conservative defensive game on the higher difficulties no matter the match up simply because I can't get me team to properly apply pressure.

Ideally you'd be able to win playing a variety of ways, and that does seem the case with attacking play, but it seems like the only way to play effectively against the cpu on the higher difficulties, and without slider changes, is to sit back, soak up pressure, and hope for a mistake; it doesn't seem like you can be effective with a proactive, aggressive defensive approach.

Some people are saying this has been improved with the patch. I really hope so.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't have major gripes with the way difficulty scales in fifa, though I think the leap from Pro to WC is too great this year, especially relative to the leap from WC to Legendary, and I'd prefer the focus to be more on AI ability in terms of decision making and less on stat boosts.

The issue I'm seeing is that there's some imbalances in gameplay that are just really exaggerated on the higher difficulties, with the main problems being that the AI is programmed to pass conservatively around the back and is able to do so better than it should, especially when playing with less than elite teams, because we can't really apply pressure effectively.

So for example, if I'm an elite team playing against a lower level club, I have absolutely no issue losing to them, but I want the loss to come from the way a lower league team typically would win - tight defense, counter attacks, long balls, etc - and not be more representative of what playing against a tiki taka Barca side.

I love that this FIFA is a challenge, especially in terms of attack, but I don't enjoy being forced to play a super conservative defensive game on the higher difficulties no matter the match up simply because I can't get me team to properly apply pressure.

Ideally you'd be able to win playing a variety of ways, and that does seem the case with attacking play, but it seems like the only way to play effectively against the cpu on the higher difficulties, and without slider changes, is to sit back, soak up pressure, and hope for a mistake; it doesn't seem like you can be effective with a proactive, aggressive defensive approach.

Some people are saying this has been improved with the patch. I really hope so.

Excellent post! Pretty much sums up what is wrong with 16.

So they have removed the games of the week options?

Or am I missing it?!

Where they select games from around the world and you can play them?

I used to love playing them :-(

I think I'm done with this. It isn't a bad game by any stretch but it just isn't that engrossing once the initial pleasantry of the pace of the game wears off. Yes, it is slow methodical but that appears to be all it is. Has been mentioned in a previous post but the defensive game is so incredibly passive and not very engaging at all after, again, the slow measured flow wears off.

Y'know, football videgaming for me would be so much easier if I could just love this. So far as feature set and technical prowess goes, the game is second to none and certainly remains better than PES in those disciplines. It is just a shame it is all very one note in my experiences when playing. The very same accusation could be levelled at PES, but there is just a bit more intensity to be found which this game lacks. That said, when PES becomes the default considering the issues that has then it really doesn't say a great deal about football games. Both have moments of magic within but it just isn't enduring like it used to be with these games.

Quite honestly, this is another year in which a basketball game, a sport which I have a very casual interest in, could be my goto for a sporting buzz. Not quite ready to give up on either footy title uet but it is noted that I'm feeling somewhat jaded by that on offer at such an early stage. A pity.

i can relate you what your saying curdstar i cant fault this years fifa it does so many things right and is a very good football game but it lacks exciement in my opinion its very laboured I can see how that appeals the struggle to win a match break the other team down ect but sometimes football games are open end to end and break neck speed

i wish they game had something implemented so some games felt a lot different to others in their pace and space on the field without having to change it manually yourself I find myself jumping between PES (until the useless garbage gks ruin it)and FIFA at the moment I find PES more fun to play but its flaws start to kill the fun after a few games

You don't see the issue with the lower table clubs (hell, Championship and League 1 sides) being able to ping the ball around with 90+% possession on default World Class? I don't find that balanced, nor realistic.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...amStatistics/England-Premier-League-2015-2016

Last edited:
I am playing on Legendary/Manual and i was struggling to play/make chances until one thing happened. I changed the camera to the end-to-end option. This years game is so different (in a good way) that you need to see the pitch and the distance between the players as much as possible.

For those who struggle i'd suggest switch to end-to-end camera and have patience in your plays. Incorporate short passes to attract/stretch the opponents and long/direct-short passes to initiate an attack from the middle or flanks.

Still totally enjoying this!

I still didn´t start a CM as I got held up with FUT.
Even FUT online is such a joy!

The balance is right imo and every match is fucking exciting!

When I score it makes me put my fist in the air shouting "YEAH!" and when I miss a chance it makes me scream "Nooooo!!".

This is what I was missing quite some time in a footy game.

Plus, I enjoy building up a team and it doesn´t take any Messi´s or Ronaldo´s to win.
Played against somebody who had Ronaldo in his team on loan.
No overpowered speed demon here.

It´s great!

It finally clicked for me this weekend. Absolutely loving career mode - the training is great and helps prevent the urge to go out and buy the best players.

The gameplay has clicked too - slow patient build up which I love, and lots of challenge. Still prefer the Pro Evo gameplay, but far too many downfalls with that game overall right now, especially those dated rosters for ML.

You don't see the issue with the lower table clubs (hell, Championship and League 1 sides) being able to ping the ball around with 90+% possession on default World Class? I don't find that balanced, nor realistic.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...amStatistics/England-Premier-League-2015-2016

Sorry not having a go but there are tools there to fix this. Like someone has said what do people want EA to do for higher levels? It cant be a one size fits all.

The best way to look at it for me is you have difficulty levels Amateur, Pro, WC , Leg and then within those difficulties you have micro difficulty settings also known as sliders.

If 90% possession bothers you that much use the slider setting to gradually reduce it until you find the game both challenging, balanced and realistic to your taste.

There's no point complaining about it in my view as EA has to implement some form of varying difficulties and no matter how they chose to do it somebody will complain it isn't the right method.

Not that i want to compare with PES but looks what happens on top difficulty there, the AI just chooses to hit bottom corner >90% of the time, and without mass editing of stats its impossible to fix (im not 100% sure that will fix it even) - and stat editing is just a mass of individual sliders

Although i agree with you, that the CPU is playing too much possession football, i will try to a record a match versus Legendary where i'm able to have more possession than the Legendary CPU with default sliders. I had some games with 56%, so i should be able to do that. But forget about the tackles. ;-)

Although i agree with you, that the CPU is playing too much possession football, i will try to a record a match versus Legendary where i'm able to have more possession than the Legendary CPU with default sliders. I had some games with 56%, so i should be able to do that. But forget about the tackles. ;-)
I'd be really interested to see this!

Was a changelist posted in here for the PC patch (and soon to be PS4 / Xbox One patch)? If not, you can find it here: FIFA 16 Game Update

The update includes general stability improvements and addresses the following items identified by the community and the FIFA team:

• Optimized goalkeeper rushing, AI, and positioning.
  • Improved player wage accuracy in Career Mode.
  • Addressed referee/kit clashes.
  • Addressed an exploit in Virtual Pro leaderboards.
  • Addressed a shot missing the top corner and still being called a goal.
  • FIFA Trainer button tuning.
  • Player clipping during intro sequence in certain stadiums.

The update also addresses the following FUT items:

• EA SPORTS Football Club shared squads not showing players in FIFA menus.
  • Relisting Transfer List items not retaining previous price settings.
  • Error message when attempting to apply a contract consumable.
  • Away crowd wearing incorrect kit.
  • Some returning users experiencing an issue when naming their club.
  • Controller disconnecting in FUT modes.

Interested to see how the goalkeepers are tuned (I'm seeing tons of long-range goals on Ultimate Team online, I wonder if they've worked on that).

Any goalkeeper changes that you've spotted, PC players?

Last edited:
I had odd bug the other day - had a shot went a mile high and wide yet the goal line tech kicked in and said the ball hadnt crossed the line showing a pic of the ball about 2 inches away from crossing the line. The ball was actually in row ZZ!!!

i tried matt10's slider. Holy shit the game is way to slow and very laborous. I just dont get d on this game. Def the best individuality for a fifa game. I was drunk and i bought this digitally but not sure if i have enough time in my life to figure out both games. The atmosphere and options in this game is bar none. I need to give this game a lot of time which i just dont have :( It looks like we have two very good games this year. I cant help but say as I was starting my first match i was like, dammit why doint konami and fifa make a game together...

Sorry not having a go but there are tools there to fix this. Like someone has said what do people want EA to do for higher levels? It cant be a one size fits all.

The best way to look at it for me is you have difficulty levels Amateur, Pro, WC , Leg and then within those difficulties you have micro difficulty settings also known as sliders.

If 90% possession bothers you that much use the slider setting to gradually reduce it until you find the game both challenging, balanced and realistic to your taste.

There's no point complaining about it in my view as EA has to implement some form of varying difficulties and no matter how they chose to do it somebody will complain it isn't the right method.

Not that i want to compare with PES but looks what happens on top difficulty there, the AI just chooses to hit bottom corner >90% of the time, and without mass editing of stats its impossible to fix (im not 100% sure that will fix it even) - and stat editing is just a mass of individual sliders

This is the issue I'm trying to understand, at a higher difficulty level how would you implement the cpu replicating these styles of play. If they were pinging it long at every opportunity and the striker won it, laid it of, crossed then won a bullet header into the top corner, then people would also be in they're rights to complain, it would perhaps be a more realistic playing style for certain lower division teams, but due it being on Legendary they would then score 4 out of 5 of these attacks.

The sliders and custom tactics work, so you can set teams to play long ball and get to the wings and cross at every opportunity, which brings down both their pass accuracy and them keeping it in their own half. You can combine this with a difficulty that suits your ability also.

To not touch the sliders/tactics and expect the game to be able to replicate certain things by default I think is a bit of a tough ask. Make the changes though and you can win and lose in whatever way you like.

I pretty much execute more tackles than the CPU in virtually every single match I play on legendary. You're looking at a 4/13 kind of ratio a lot of the time. :THINK:

Where am I best off going for custom tactics? Do these get erased by the live updates?

Right now I'm inclined to think that, when playing against the CPU, there needs to be some sort of difficulty scaling when playing teams of different star ratings.

Yesterday I tried out Chris Davies' excellent sliders against AFC Wimbledon (except with speed and acceleration the same), on Professional with semi controls, having just tried the same on default. The game is so much more open and easy to play as a result. Wimbledon played so much more like a 1 star team. I ended up winning 6-0 comfortably, having struggled on default due to the lack of space and their ball retention being too effective. It would have been interesting to see how they would have got on if they'd gone into the game really defensive and just looked to break once or twice, rather than gone into the game as if I was any old team.

Man City felt like very different opponents but it was a bit too easy for my liking - I'll be doing a wee bit of tweaking to find a middle ground, or I'll just get used to Legendary.

Right now FIFA needs to do so much more to get the tactics right in the first place, so you can distinguish one team from the next. However, it also needs to represent the gap in quality of decision making from one league to the next. The problem for me is that each difficulty is like a different 'player' holding the controller for the CPU team. So if you just play one difficulty, you essentially play against that one player over and again.

Chris recommends you lower the difficulty when playing against significantly weaker teams. This is the only time that the decision making and organisation of the opposition ever really changes from team to team. This is what the game is lacking right now, and has been from the very start. You have certain players making slightly different runs or dribbling a bit more etc, but I wish you could see the difference between a cool-headed veteran and an inexperienced or unintelligent young upstart.

I wish you could save slider settings, combined with difficulties, and could allocate these to teams of different comparative ratings. I can do this manually but this is a ballache if the sliders change too much.

Last edited:
Honome (of these very forums) pointed out that enabling "legacy defending" seems to make a difference when it comes to playing the CPU and how they work in possession. I've been experimenting with it the last few nights and it does seem to change the way the AI react in certain situations (as if the AI has calculated it's at a greater risk of losing the ball due to the perfectly assisted angle of the pressure and the potential tackle).

One of the games I played was against Sunderland (on Legendary, which is the difficulty level I'd rather play the game on if it made lower league teams play like lower league teams), and I managed to cut down their passing accuracy by a good 10%.

Judging by the AI reaction, I'm thinking that pass error is a bit of a useless slider... If you make the AI passing worse, the game adapts by playing lots of short, simple passes (hence the pass speed slider making a bigger difference in terms of their passing accuracy). Make it better, and the pass accuracy climbs even higher.

That said, it does still try long balls in certain situations with a higher pass error slider, but... I'm wondering if really low pass speed and really high first-touch is a better way of working the sliders.

I'll keep playing with it, but if anyone else feels like examining the effect of using legacy defending against the AI (Legendary), let me know what your experiences are!

Honome (of these very forums) pointed out that enabling "legacy defending" seems to make a difference when it comes to playing the CPU and how they work in possession. I've been experimenting with it the last few nights and it does seem to change the way the AI react in certain situations (as if the AI has calculated it's at a greater risk of losing the ball due to the perfectly assisted angle of the pressure and the potential tackle).

One of the games I played was against Sunderland (on Legendary, which is the difficulty level I'd rather play the game on if it made lower league teams play like lower league teams), and I managed to cut down their passing accuracy by a good 10%.

Judging by the AI reaction, I'm thinking that pass error is a bit of a useless slider... If you make the AI passing worse, the game adapts by playing lots of short, simple passes (hence the pass speed slider making a bigger difference in terms of their passing accuracy). Make it better, and the pass accuracy climbs even higher.

That said, it does still try long balls in certain situations with a higher pass error slider, but... I'm wondering if really low pass speed and really high first-touch is a better way of working the sliders.

I'll keep playing with it, but if anyone else feels like examining the effect of using legacy defending against the AI (Legendary), let me know what your experiences are!

I only play with Legacy defending, as Tactical doesn't work against the cpu and you can't close them down, either with the player you're controlling or with teammate press. Some sort of force field comes into play where you just get to a certain distance then watch them go past. As I understand it, it was introduced to stop people spamming when playing online, use it offline though and you're at a disadvantage. Against weaker teams I see pass completions of around 70%. With Legacy you can play a high press if you wish and using teammate press your players will actually press and tackle effectively.

I use low speed for the cpu (32) and high first touch error (75+), with this even bringing the pass error down the cpu will still play long balls, and misplace passes etc

I only play with Legacy defending, as Tactical doesn't work against the cpu and you can't close them down, either with the player you're controlling or with teammate press. Some sort of force field comes into play where you just get to a certain distance then watch them go past. As I understand it, it was introduced to stop people spamming when playing online, use it offline though and you're at a disadvantage. Against weaker teams I see pass completions of around 70%. With Legacy you can play a high press if you wish and using teammate press your players will actually press and tackle effectively.

I use low speed for the cpu (32) and high first touch error (75+), with this even bringing the pass error down the cpu will still play long balls, and misplace passes etc

Hi, want to try out legacy def so please could you post your exact settings?

Hi, want to try out legacy def so please could you post your exact settings?

I did in the Slider thread but no problem. I play on full manual except Cross which is on Semi with Analog Sprint off.

For a test I set Hull's (no idea why) Custom Tactic to:

Speed 80
Passing 92
Positioning Organised
Passing 90
Crossing 80
Shooting 56
Positioning 56
Pressure 38
Aggression 37
Width 46

Sliders are:
50/50
50/50
51/51
59/40
49/49
37/32
75/80
40/40
20/20
50/50
15/45
70/55
45/48
52/48
52/52
75/85

Alongside having their strikers to Run in Behind. With this they play it long from the back and send in crosses. Worked with any team I've tried it with.

If I pressure them in their half I can win the ball using Legacy. I can defend high or low as I please.

As I finished writing this I went back to my game. I lost it just outside the box, they played one pass sideways then launched it over my defence to the near side of the box, striker drove into my box with his first two touches to the byline, cut back in, low cross and goal.

Wankers.

Just finished a 8 minute first half the cpu went long 8 times, the keeper always kicks up field, they've hit the bar from a cross and scored from a long ball then cross.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom