FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

One game with Liverpool against Hull, felt very good and realistic, but does this mean we have to adjust each team with custom tactics?

I think you can copy and paste team sheets, so could make a 'long ball' tactic and give it to as many teams as you liked. How was your game, did they play long balls and crosses mate?

Honome (of these very forums) pointed out that enabling "legacy defending" seems to make a difference when it comes to playing the CPU and how they work in possession. I've been experimenting with it the last few nights and it does seem to change the way the AI react in certain situations (as if the AI has calculated it's at a greater risk of losing the ball due to the perfectly assisted angle of the pressure and the potential tackle).

One of the games I played was against Sunderland (on Legendary, which is the difficulty level I'd rather play the game on if it made lower league teams play like lower league teams), and I managed to cut down their passing accuracy by a good 10%.

Judging by the AI reaction, I'm thinking that pass error is a bit of a useless slider... If you make the AI passing worse, the game adapts by playing lots of short, simple passes (hence the pass speed slider making a bigger difference in terms of their passing accuracy). Make it better, and the pass accuracy climbs even higher.

That said, it does still try long balls in certain situations with a higher pass error slider, but... I'm wondering if really low pass speed and really high first-touch is a better way of working the sliders.

I'll keep playing with it, but if anyone else feels like examining the effect of using legacy defending against the AI (Legendary), let me know what your experiences are!

I tried Legacy in a match over the weekend and I didn't notice any obvious difference in outcomes, but that could've been because it's been so long since I played with Legacy defending that I couldn't remember how to use it.

One thing I did try that had an interesting effect was lower the CPU pass error to 40, something Placebo said he tried, and I saw the same thing as him - the CPU played differently, and started making more aggressive and longer passes instead of being conservative and playing around the back as much. I only tried this in the second half of an MLS match, and I haven't had the time to really test it more, but I wonder if there's something to it...

I haven't really been testing sliders as much as I'd like because I've been playing mostly online until the patch comes out, and something I find interesting and a bit ironic is how different the online and single player matches are - online is hectic, end-to-end, high pressure stuff with still not much emphasis on buildup play unless you get two players committed to that style, which is rare; whereas against the CPU this year it's all about the slow, methodical buildup style while playing a very conservative, containment based defense.

It's ironic to me because for years FIFA has been criticized for only having one style of match, but now there's variety but it's mostly cordoned-off between the offline and single player modes. I'm not saying you can't find each style of match in each mode, but difference in trends between the offline and single player experience is pretty striking. It makes me wonder whether most of the frustrations we encounter are due to the difficulties of having to produce two separate games basically.

In fact, the more I play online, the more I understand why people for years have been saying that the single player experience is suffering for the sake of the multiplayer gameplay - it does really feel like this game was balanced with multiplayer as the emphasis, which resulted in some of the imbalances playing single player.

Last edited:
Funny enough, I've only had a couple of games online where I've felt like I've been rushed and pressed. But then most of my games have been Ultimate Team bronze cup matches - I'm yet to properly delve into Seasons (although I've played a few games of Co-Op Seasons, and it was a little bit more hectic admittedly, but with scorelines of 1-0 and 2-1, i.e. still realistic).

It's the best online football game experience I've ever had, so far - but I'm just waiting for a deadly patch, or a big exploit to come along.

The most trouble I've had is in keeping my defensive line back on Ultimate Team (see the Ultimate Team thread)!

I think you can copy and paste team sheets, so could make a 'long ball' tactic and give it to as many teams as you liked. How was your game, did they play long balls and crosses mate?

Yes of course, long balls are in, crosses also, as said I like it very much. But to play a CM it seems very strange that all other teams have same tactics for example..

Yes of course, long balls are in, crosses also, as said I like it very much. But to play a CM it seems very strange that all other teams have same tactics for example..

Presumably you can give individual tactics to teams, but if you don't want to dedicate that much time, you could come up with a few generic tactics and give those to teams - it'd be better to have 4 or 5 ways of playing in a league of 20, than to have just 1 or 2.

I've now put the cpu pass error down to 20, and all that has happened is they've tried more expansive, longer passes, but are completing less passes than they were before, 79% for the half and I only lowered it from 40 halfway through.

It's like the lower error makes them think they can complete a wider range of passes, but their actually ability won't enable them to do so.

Anyone able to help me out advising me on squad updates on Fifa?

I started a tournament (not career mode) with West Brom playing in the Premier League. I am bang up to date with the current season in terms of real life matches but I don't appear to have Jonny Evans in my squad. I thought that he may appear towards the end of August (in game) as that was when he signed for Albion in real life. Last match I played against Crystal Palace and Glenn Murray scored both of their goals even though in real life he is now at Bournemouth.

Is there something I should be doing to get these transfers up to date?

I started a tournament (not career mode) with West Brom playing in the Premier League. I am bang up to date with the current season in terms of real life matches but I don't appear to have Jonny Evans in my squad. I thought that he may appear towards the end of August (in game) as that was when he signed for Albion in real life. Last match I played against Crystal Palace and Glenn Murray scored both of their goals even though in real life he is now at Bournemouth.

When you start a career mode on FIFA, you're asked if you want to use the default database, the currently loaded database or download the latest available squad file.

Are you asked that when starting a tournament? I'd have thought so (in which case you will have needed to select "latest available squads").

When you start a career mode on FIFA, you're asked if you want to use the default database, the currently loaded database or download the latest available squad file.

Are you asked that when starting a tournament? I'd have thought so (in which case you will have needed to select "latest available squads").

Cheers Chris.

To be honest I can't remember being asked that at all. When I get home tonight I will try and create another tournament and see if I get asked.

Surely thats a good thing :D

Presumably you can give individual tactics to teams, but if you don't want to dedicate that much time, you could come up with a few generic tactics and give those to teams - it'd be better to have 4 or 5 ways of playing in a league of 20, than to have just 1 or 2.

OK, thanks, will try it and start a Career.

no options with the tournament..only with career

I've now put the cpu pass error down to 20, and all that has happened is they've tried more expansive, longer passes, but are completing less passes than they were before, 79% for the half and I only lowered it from 40 halfway through.

It's like the lower error makes them think they can complete a wider range of passes, but their actually ability won't enable them to do so.

Makes me wonder whether this is why many people are saying they like playing Legendary more than WC - if the CPU plays with less pass error on Legendary, maybe that's why they don't play it around the back as much?

Gotta say, two things are really annoying me: refs and passes going to the wrong players.

For the first, foul calls are crazy inconsistent. Maybe this is "realistic" but I find it frustrating.

For passing, I play with assisted settings and I seem to be having a bigger problem than I can ever remember having passes going to the wrong players, meaning I intend a pass to go to one player but either I'm doing something wrong with the stick or the assistance is buggy, and my pass will go toward a teammate I didn't intend. Anyone else having this problem or am I just making mistakes?

I will say: this game is frickin punishing on the higher difficulties without sliders. Make a normal pass instead of a driven pass? You're screwed. Make a through pass instead of a normal pass? You're screwed. Don't use L2 exactly at the right moment to hold off a defender. You're screwed. Use sprint at the wrong moment? You're screwed. Back off too much around your penalty box with a dangerous opponent on the ball? You're screwed. Counter-attack when you should just retain possession? You're screwed.

Not complaining, cause I love the challenge, I just wish WC was a bit easier 'cause I'm struggling to find a happy medium without significant slider changes. IMO being able to beat the CPU on Legendary without sliders would be a pretty amazing accomplishment.

I was playing around with this a few days ago, not got access to the game at the moment so I'm trying to remember things off the top of my head, if you look at most team's default tactics the top two values (think it's under build up?) affect the speed in which they look to get the ball forward and the length of passes, these are generally quite low, if you change the tactic to long ball these two values are 90 so was thinking of setting teams to custom tactics (which mirrors the default tactic) then increasing those values by 10 points or so but leave all the others as default so they don't lose too much of their original characteristics

Been experimenting with lower "pass error" and lower pass speed on World Class, and just finished a half with Sunderland where they had 94% pass accuracy (which is the highest I've seen it I think). So it's not the way to go - the AI just chains together instant passes and far more incisive movements on World Class, to the point where it's absolutely ludicrous.

It feels like entirely different programming from Legendary.

Higher pass error (but not higher than 62 at the very most due to how it messes up crosses) and Legendary is the best match for me. But it's not perfect.

Legacy defending does seem to help a little bit, though - especially combined with a slower pass speed and worse first touch.

Last edited:
I think the novelty of the game has wore off for me. I loved the demo. The players felt weighty, the AI kept the ball well and showed variety in their attacks. I felt in control of defending and methodically unlocking defences was engrossing.

Fast forward to the full game and most of that joy has been replaced with a feeling of boredom and frustration. Players feel weightless and movement with the left stick is overly sensitive. To counteract this, EA have attempted to tone down the responsiveness of certain players when they receive the ball in certain situations. I can see why they've done it but it feels like it's something that is in place to mask over a fundamental problem. Instead of feeling like i am playing on a football pitch, i always tend to feel like i am hovering ever so slightly above it. This has been a fundamental flaw ever since 360 movement was introduced in 2010. Fifa 09 was truly the last time i felt any inertia between the player and the pitch.

Because of this lack of inertia, defending is a total lottery. I can jockey a player if i want, albeit unrealistically, or i can attempt a tackle safe in the knowledge that my defender is highly likely to run straight past the attacker, leaving him through on goal. Maybe if were able to play the game using a more presentable camera angle, i could possibly remove the luck element of the supposed art of defending. As it stands, i can either be ridiculously close to the pitch on 'Dynamic' or i can use one of the various other camera angles that essentially make Fifa 16 look like a cross between a PS2 game and a cartoon. You would at the very least expect the customisable options to make a jot of difference, but for some reason, they actually don't. It seems odd that i have the option to play my matches at any time between 12pm - 10pm, in Hazy, or Clear, or Overcast, or Foggy, or Rainy, or Showery, or Snowy conditions, with about 12 different style of pitch markings, with loose box nets or really tight triangle ones, yet i can find any middle ground between sitting on the front row, or sitting in the nose bleeds when it comes to finding a camera angle.

The one thing Fifa 16 does have going for it is the impressive feeling you get when you score a goal. I love how the camera pans as the ball hits the net, and i love how it sounds when the net ripples. That truly is a good feeling. However, there are some issues with the shooting and with the goalkeeping that isn't quite right. Time after time i will see a goalkeeper catch an absolute bullet of a shot, taken from no more than 12 yards out, in his midriff. When does this actually happen in professional football? Never. Another frequent occurrence is the goalkeeper being beaten on his near post. Again, rarely happens, or at least not to decent keepers, yet it's a gamely occurrence for me (for and against).

Every now and then i manage to have a game where these faults don't always present themselves, but even then i am pausing the game every 5 minutes to adjust the damn sliders. I actually don't think i've had a full Fifa session where i have sat down and just enjoyed myself, yet with the demo, i felt like i wanted to play again and again.

So has the game been altered or has the novelty and gloss worn off to reveal a fairly flawed game of football? What's everyone else thoughts? All in all, i won't say it's a bad game, but my optimism from playing the demo has been replaced by a that familiar old feeling i normally get 3 weeks into a Fifa purchase.

I've moved up to legendary in career mode, they definitely try more risky passes. I've had two games one I won 1-0 through a penalty but the opposition was pretty poor , constantly missing passes etc, the 2nd game was against Forrest , before the game they had the best defensive record in the league and it showed..it finished 0-0 but they where strong. I forced one good save in 1st half and also hit the post but in the 2nd half I don't think I got a shot in ..really enjoying this now after slagging it off lol

I think the novelty of the game has wore off for me. I loved the demo. The players felt weighty, the AI kept the ball well and showed variety in their attacks. I felt in control of defending and methodically unlocking defences was engrossing.

Fast forward to the full game and most of that joy has been replaced with a feeling of boredom and frustration. Players feel weightless and movement with the left stick is overly sensitive. To counteract this, EA have attempted to tone down the responsiveness of certain players when they receive the ball in certain situations. I can see why they've done it but it feels like it's something that is in place to mask over a fundamental problem. Instead of feeling like i am playing on a football pitch, i always tend to feel like i am hovering ever so slightly above it. This has been a fundamental flaw ever since 360 movement was introduced in 2010. Fifa 09 was truly the last time i felt any inertia between the player and the pitch.

Because of this lack of inertia, defending is a total lottery. I can jockey a player if i want, albeit unrealistically, or i can attempt a tackle safe in the knowledge that my defender is highly likely to run straight past the attacker, leaving him through on goal. Maybe if were able to play the game using a more presentable camera angle, i could possibly remove the luck element of the supposed art of defending. As it stands, i can either be ridiculously close to the pitch on 'Dynamic' or i can use one of the various other camera angles that essentially make Fifa 16 look like a cross between a PS2 game and a cartoon. You would at the very least expect the customisable options to make a jot of difference, but for some reason, they actually don't. It seems odd that i have the option to play my matches at any time between 12pm - 10pm, in Hazy, or Clear, or Overcast, or Foggy, or Rainy, or Showery, or Snowy conditions, with about 12 different style of pitch markings, with loose box nets or really tight triangle ones, yet i can find any middle ground between sitting on the front row, or sitting in the nose bleeds when it comes to finding a camera angle.

The one thing Fifa 16 does have going for it is the impressive feeling you get when you score a goal. I love how the camera pans as the ball hits the net, and i love how it sounds when the net ripples. That truly is a good feeling. However, there are some issues with the shooting and with the goalkeeping that isn't quite right. Time after time i will see a goalkeeper catch an absolute bullet of a shot, taken from no more than 12 yards out, in his midriff. When does this actually happen in professional football? Never. Another frequent occurrence is the goalkeeper being beaten on his near post. Again, rarely happens, or at least not to decent keepers, yet it's a gamely occurrence for me (for and against).

Every now and then i manage to have a game where these faults don't always present themselves, but even then i am pausing the game every 5 minutes to adjust the damn sliders. I actually don't think i've had a full Fifa session where i have sat down and just enjoyed myself, yet with the demo, i felt like i wanted to play again and again.

So has the game been altered or has the novelty and gloss worn off to reveal a fairly flawed game of football? What's everyone else thoughts? All in all, i won't say it's a bad game, but my optimism from playing the demo has been replaced by a that familiar old feeling i normally get 3 weeks into a Fifa purchase.

Singing my song somewhat with this game, and to a degree PES too. Too much fannying about required to get a good look and feel to proceedings. All for options and customisation; would help if such would just compliment the games out-the-box and not be so damn vital.

We give these games too easy a time. They both play like 7/10's at the moment; nice ideas; some nice execution; horribly inconsistent.

How do you take powerful low shots this year?

Been wondering the same thing.. so far ive only see them contextually, like evan though i set the power bar very high the player "decided" by himself to shot it low... still a bit annoying as low fierced shots to the oposite side are the finnishing i like the most...

I'll say it now, Fifa16 has more player individuality than any Fifa in the history of Fifa, it's wonderful, trying something with a player you shouldn't and you pay for it big time (example, passback to my keeper Westwood who's left footed, I try a first time right footed hoof down field, oops, ball loops up lazily about 10 yards straight towards an opposing forward who gleefully volleys it into an empty net), attempting something with a good player, wow! Lopez in our midfield obviously coming from La Liga is a very, very good passer with excellent vision, I attempted a lofted through ball from the left side of midfield out to my winger who had a fullback about 10 yards away, Lopez curls the pass with the outside of his right foot, it curls around the fullback and lands at the feet of my winger, fully a 45 yard pass to perfection, wish I'd recorded it!

spot on re Fifa - the demo was a "one more game" which turned into 10 more games but the full game isnt the same.

I'll say it now, Fifa16 has more player individuality than any Fifa in the history of Fifa, it's wonderful, trying something with a player you shouldn't and you pay for it big time (example, passback to my keeper Westwood who's left footed, I try a first time right footed hoof down field, oops, ball loops up lazily about 10 yards straight towards an opposing forward who gleefully volleys it into an empty net), attempting something with a good player, wow! Lopez in our midfield obviously coming from La Liga is a very, very good passer with excellent vision, I attempted a lofted through ball from the left side of midfield out to my winger who had a fullback about 10 yards away, Lopez curls the pass with the outside of his right foot, it curls around the fullback and lands at the feet of my winger, fully a 45 yard pass to perfection, wish I'd recorded it!

Paul, are you on manual?

Back
Top Bottom