FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Huh, funny, I just finished playing the Bronze Cup and I didn't concede any long shots at all - I think the only way I conceded was from crosses.

What difficulty did you play it on? I think the Bronze Cup is default to amateur and I bumped it to Pro (would've done WC but I was too scared considering you're playing against some teams a full star or more above your level).
Sorry, I was talking about online!

Against the AI I've got no complaints with the sliders and difficulty levels - obviously I'd rather you could pick a smarter Professional as opposed to "enabling" the cheaty bits, but they can be turned off with the right sliders, I think.

But yeah, online in the Bronze Cup, I've won two on the trot at most before I get knocked out. If I try and tackle, they run past me, and if I try to stay close to them, I end up tracking them all the way back to the box and from there they score a screamer (well, not a screamer, but a long range shot). Over and over again.

Is anyone else having problems with the boots bought in the catalog ? Yesterday I bought new Puma but they appear not available in the player's edition. Same with the latest Nikes. Im playng in ps4.

Thank you for the tips, though I think maybe we're talking about different issues. I don't have issues conceding many goals, but I have issues with defending in terms of winning the ball back.

So, for example, I was testing some slider tweaks playing with Bayern against Hamburg on Legendary with 10 min halves, a team that Bayern should be confident to both win against and win the battle for possession. I won most of my games, but in no game did I fair better than 55% possession. Meanwhile my average tackles per game was something like 5-7.

That's my issue with defending (at least offline). It's not with conceding goals, though I certainly do concede, but with the balance of play and the inability to apply pressure and put a tackle in.

It's kind of what I was getting at with the tips though, the cpu seems to be programmed in such a way that it will always have those spells where you can't get the ball and there's not too much you can do about it other than let it have possession in non dangerous areas and wait until it gets into an area where space is restricted before even thinking about trying to put tackles in, I do get a lot of tackles in but the vast majority are in my defensive third plus I play on 15 min halves so the games are quite long.

I very rarely have over 45% of the ball, I could if I wanted to but it would mean passing it around at the back and in midfield for long periods, it's very hard (almost impossible) to play a high pressing game, there are times that you can do it but then the scripting kicks in and they start playing the tiki taka stuff or switching to the opposite side so you just need to read what's going on in the background and play accordingly, don't go chasing the ball when the cpu is on one of these spells as you're not going to get it and if you do you'll almost certainly lose it straight away.

They've almost nailed it but just have this overriding influence in the background to try and keep the balance of play even, there are always surprise results in football but a lot of them are built on solid defensive performances and then nicking a goal either from a set piece, counter attack or defensive mistake, then there's the ale house team bullying the big boys who don't fancy it type of shocks, none of this seems to apply to fifa where it throws the cpu player's attributes out of the window and turns them into the 1970 Brazil team for periods of the game just to even things out, try playing with two 4th division teams (league 2 for you young ones ;) ) on world class or legendary, my players perform like I would expect them to, shite, that's the reason they're playing 4th division football, but the cpu controlled players will at times perform like world class footballers.

There shouldn't be any need for this, set a teams style to how it plays in real life and allow adjustments according to how the game is going, for instance if an underdog gets to half time at 0-0 then allow them to grow in confidence and be harder to break down the longer the game runs while the favourites get more nervous as time starts to run out and start making mistakes, things like this would've made it the best football game ever, instead you get ale house players starting to knock the ball around like Xabi Alonso.

Sligo Rovers with their 93% pass accuracy over a 15 minute match, and their 100mph one or two touch passing. Realistic my backside.

It's possible you could do it with an ini tweak or such if on PC but if any squad gets below the minimum size it could well crash the game.

ok just experimented abit with filemaster, its something related to transfersettings im abble to edit it but i can`t find a way to disable completely transfers

There are settings as to when a CPU team is allowed to buy players based on their squad size I think, maybe if you set minimum squadsize for buying players to 42 or whatever the maximum default squad size is?

It's kind of what I was getting at with the tips though, the cpu seems to be programmed in such a way that it will always have those spells where you can't get the ball and there's not too much you can do about it other than let it have possession in non dangerous areas and wait until it gets into an area where space is restricted before even thinking about trying to put tackles in, I do get a lot of tackles in but the vast majority are in my defensive third plus I play on 15 min halves so the games are quite long.

I very rarely have over 45% of the ball, I could if I wanted to but it would mean passing it around at the back and in midfield for long periods, it's very hard (almost impossible) to play a high pressing game, there are times that you can do it but then the scripting kicks in and they start playing the tiki taka stuff or switching to the opposite side so you just need to read what's going on in the background and play accordingly, don't go chasing the ball when the cpu is on one of these spells as you're not going to get it and if you do you'll almost certainly lose it straight away.

They've almost nailed it but just have this overriding influence in the background to try and keep the balance of play even, there are always surprise results in football but a lot of them are built on solid defensive performances and then nicking a goal either from a set piece, counter attack or defensive mistake, then there's the ale house team bullying the big boys who don't fancy it type of shocks, none of this seems to apply to fifa where it throws the cpu player's attributes out of the window and turns them into the 1970 Brazil team for periods of the game just to even things out, try playing with two 4th division teams (league 2 for you young ones ;) ) on world class or legendary, my players perform like I would expect them to, shite, that's the reason they're playing 4th division football, but the cpu controlled players will at times perform like world class footballers.

There shouldn't be any need for this, set a teams style to how it plays in real life and allow adjustments according to how the game is going, for instance if an underdog gets to half time at 0-0 then allow them to grow in confidence and be harder to break down the longer the game runs while the favourites get more nervous as time starts to run out and start making mistakes, things like this would've made it the best football game ever, instead you get ale house players starting to knock the ball around like Xabi Alonso.

Great post! Pretty much sums up how i feel about the game.
I'm going back and forth between 15 and 16, and 15 is winning - for me.

It has it's faults but suits my playstyle better.
But most importantly, i want to have fun. And 16 feels like working, 15 more like fun.

I like what FIFA is trying to do, but for me personally it's not working.
I'll give it one more month, if i then still feel the same way i'll sell it and it's another year of 15 for me. I can live with that.

ok just experimented abit with filemaster, its something related to transfersettings im abble to edit it but i can`t find a way to disable completely transfers
beta990 on soccergaming puts out a career edit mod every year, I believe he knows how to disable transfers. I fooled around with his file a couple years back and was able to change up a few things myself, it's pretty straightforward. FYI, if you increase players' contract dates to 2030 in the db players table, it works to stop transfers. I did that in FIFA 14, every time an offer showed up in the career news section, another message would pop up saying the player had declined to move, decided to stay, etc. And I imagine if you lowered team budgets in the teams table you wouldn't see transfers. I don't play career so I can't help past that.

Last edited:
I genuinely don't understand why someone would ever choose FIFA 15 over 16. With slider tweaks you can make 16 more open/easy/fun/whatever but no amount of slider adjustments can fix the godawful defensive AI in 15.

I totally agree though that this FIFA is insanely frustrating on anything higher than Pro difficulty with default settings. I've actually abandoned my preference for Legendary and gone back to WC 'cause the AI is just way too perfect on Legendary; skipping WC difficulty proved to be not such a good idea. After playing Legendary the last few days, I'm now seeing how the CPU makes quite a bit more mistakes on WC, but it's still frustrating.

Also agree with the sentiment that EA "almost nailed it," and I might even argue that they did nail it on Pro difficulty, but they've still got some work to do with how they program the increased difficulty levels. WC/Legendary are very challenging; not sure how much fun they are.

I genuinely don't understand why someone would ever choose FIFA 15 over 16. With slider tweaks you can make 16 more open/easy/fun/whatever but no amount of slider adjustments can fix the godawful defensive AI in 15.

I'm not surprised you have said this since empathy isn't one of your strong points.

Just look at what he said, he finds FIFA 15 more fun, his intention is to have fun, he has no agenda to play some ultimate simulation or even change the sliders and spend hours and days finding the right setup, only to spend more time editing after he's mastered his slider settings he put on. For all we know he's already tweaked the sliders and found the AI still play like an clone army of Xavi's.

I'm not surprised you have said this since empathy isn't one of your strong points.

Just look at what he said, he finds FIFA 15 more fun, his intention is to have fun, he has no agenda to play some ultimate simulation or even change the sliders and spend hours and days finding the right setup, only to spend more time editing after he's mastered his slider settings he put on. For all we know he's already tweaked the sliders and found the AI still play like an clone army of Xavi's.

Really klash? You feel the need to hop in here just to make personal attacks? How on earth you're not banned is beyond me - all you do is troll when you post in the FIFA thread, with rarely, if ever, a constructive post.

OK, what the hell is going on?... First of all world class does appear to be a little broken at the minute. It was suggested to increase level to legendary which I've done. Plays a much more balanced game. So yes it does work. However, I'm struggling big time with the game this year. I only play career mode and was smashing world class by the time I finished Fifa 15. Just really struggling to score/win at the minute which is proving really frustrating. I refuse to drop down to pro as its too easy....Can't win lol:FAIL:

Two days ago you posted how "extremely disrespectful" it was when someone directed a personal comment your way. He immediately apologized to you next post, hint.

Really klash? You feel the need to hop in here just to make personal attacks? How on earth you're not banned is beyond me - all you do is troll when you post in the FIFA thread, with rarely, if ever, a constructive post.

Two days ago you posted how "extremely disrespectful" it was when someone directed a personal comment your way. He immediately apologized to you next post, hint.

I felt there was no need to try patronize the guy, he said he liked FIFA 15 because it suits him, whats wrong with that? Max does this a lot, struggles to understand others tastes. I thought it was quite bad since he didn't even try to speak to him directly.

I felt there was no need to try patronize the guy, he said he liked FIFA 15 because it suits him, whats wrong with that? Max does this a lot, struggles to understand others tastes. I thought it was quite bad since he didn't even try to speak to him directly.

...and yet more personal attacks.

Again, the shit you get away with...

But if we're talking about tastes, the major differences between 15 and 16 is that 15 is more open and easier to create chances. You can turn 16 into a more open game that's more conducive to attacking play with slider changes.

So I stand by my opinion, though maybe I should have said it in a more "empathetic" way, that 16 is the superior game to 15 for several important reasons, and if you're tastes are more for 15, just use sliders to modify 16 so that it suits you.

I totally agree though that this FIFA is insanely frustrating on anything higher than Pro difficulty with default settings. I've actually abandoned my preference for Legendary and gone back to WC 'cause the AI is just way too perfect on Legendary; skipping WC difficulty proved to be not such a good idea. After playing Legendary the last few days, I'm now seeing how the CPU makes quite a bit more mistakes on WC, but it's still frustrating.

Also agree with the sentiment that EA "almost nailed it," and I might even argue that they did nail it on Pro difficulty, but they've still got some work to do with how they program the increased difficulty levels. WC/Legendary are very challenging; not sure how much fun they are.

For me right now 15 on world class than 16 on pro. I still have to work hard to beat the cpu but there's a little less midfield pressure which i like more.
I don't want frustration so hence the move to 15 (mind you, i did say i'm giving 16 another month so not giving up yet). 16 does a lot of things right and again i get what ea is trying to do. It's just not for me sofar.

To each his own.

...and yet more personal attacks.

Again, the shit you get away with...

You do this all the time for years! Every time someone says there opinion you don't deem simulation or to what you believe is right you talk down to them.

But if we're talking about tastes, the major differences between 15 and 16 is that 15 is more open and easier to create chances. You can turn 16 into a more open game that's more conducive to attacking play with slider changes.

So I stand by my opinion, though maybe I should have said it in a more "empathetic" way, that 16 is the superior game to 15 for several important reasons, and if you're tastes are more for 15, just use sliders to modify 16 so that it suits you.

Why didn't it cross your mind maybe he had already tried that? or like i said the guy hasn't got all day to find a setting he may find cool for a day or so but onces hes mastered it he needs to change it again?

For me right now 15 on world class than 16 on pro. I still have to work hard to beat the cpu but there's a little less midfield pressure which i like more.
I don't want frustration so hence the move to 15 (mind you, i did say i'm giving 16 another month so not giving up yet). 16 does a lot of things right and again i get what ea is trying to do. It's just not for me sofar.

To each his own.

Whelp, to each's own, like you say. Have you tried sliders though? I know some people have had good success changing the line settings and/or turning down the CPU accel slider by a notch or two to give a slight reaction time advantage.

Is this on Pro difficulty you're having trouble with?

For PC users. If you create a cl.ini file and insert the line "//force_obective_ForcedLongPassUp=1" the cpu plays long balls. Been trying it out and it seems to work pretty well as far as I can tell, that's alongside altering the custom tactics to ones more long ballish, and think I changed strikers runs to 'Get In Behind' as well.

I've tried it with a few teams and it worked so I don't think I'm imagining it.

I've put this in both threads in case some PC guys don't look into the other one.

You do this all the time for years! Every time someone says there opinion you don't deem simulation or to what you believe is right you talk down to them.

Why didn't it cross your mind maybe he had already tried that? or like i said the guy hasn't got all day to find a setting he may find cool for a day or so but onces hes mastered it he needs to change it again?

Whatever klash, I'm not doing this with you again. Please just go back to the PES thread and prophetize your delusional theories about Konami's master plan.

A masterplan that surely can't be any worse than EA's to be fair. Seems playing the games isn't real simulation enough these days; all about dat sliders chat or whatever when it comes to both games.

Both games have settings that can offer a realistic experience, with caveats, and while it a relief it is nothing more. Fed up giving these developers a free pass for poor gameplay design that near on demands fannying about with settings. Just go and make a well balanced game out of the box first and foremost for fucks sake. About two weeks in with PES and a week with FIFA and I am still pausing and pissing about with settings.

Found a set-up that works for me on PES without dicking around with stats. Won't last I reckon. Going to try a slider set for FIFA in a bit that might work but again won't last.

Both the games are pretty half arsed in many respects. Both are "casual" products really. Christ, Dave from FUTHead was blethering on about how cameras improve "simulation" and whatnot. Whatever next?

Last edited:
Well since they're pretty much copying FIFA's masterplan, at least circa FIFA 15, yeah you're right.

Problem with dicking around with all these settings and sliders is that none really fix the core problems. Shoot, even the difficulty settings in FIFA feel broken at the moment.

Last edited:
A masterplan that surely can't be any worse than EA's to be fair. Seems playing the games isn't real simulation enough these days; all about dat sliders chat or whatever when it comes to both games.

Both games have settings that can offer a realistic experience, with caveats, and while it a relief it is nothing more. Fed up giving these developers a free pass for poor gameplay design that near on demands fannying about with settings. Just go and make a well balanced game out of the box first and foremost for fucks sake. About two weeks in with PES and a week with FIFA and I am still pausing and pissing about with settings.

Found a set-up that works for me on PES without dicking around with stats. Won't last I reckon. Going to try a slider set for FIFA in a bit that might work but again won't last.

Both the games are pretty half arsed in many respects. Both are "casual" products really. Christ, Dave from FUTHead was blethering on about how cameras improve "simulation" and whatnot. Whatever next?

He's referring to my post on Konami making Level 1 the same as level 3.

He's very arrogant and gets very emotional when people get the better of you and can't handle it. I didn't like his post aimed elfie which he does every year all the time and felt i need to hopefully make him see things from other perspectives for once.

I mean i see people here liking FIFA 16, but i know exactly why they like it and what they look for and more power to them.

I'm not having a go at anyone in particular here and more just picking up on that comment and applying it to my frustration with both development teams.

Just tried it out on my PS4 and it works so it's not the file, when I edit the cpu custom tactics, and set runners into get in behind they start going long. I don't know if it's my sliders or the tactic, but something is working.

Unless I'm going nuts of course, in which case I'm imagining it.

Just tried it out on my PS4 and it works so it's not the file, when I edit the cpu custom tactics, and set runners into get in behind they start going long. I don't know if it's my sliders or the tactic, but something is working.

Unless I'm going nuts of course, in which case I'm imagining it.

Think you might be onto something, done a quick test changing AFC Wimbledon to use long ball tactics and Carlisle to counter attack (got this thing about low ranked teams playing like world beaters in fifa :D ) let the cpu play a game out on 10 minute halves, was very scrappy with not many chances, think Wimbledon managed 5 on target with 3 of those in the last 5 mins when they were throwing the kitchen sink at getting an equaliser, Carlisle only had 2 on target but they were both clear cut chances and they put one away, passing accuracy was still too high for my liking with both teams getting high 80's.

Then I played as Liverpool away to Wimbledon, 10 min halves on world class, no sign of the tiki-taka football which has been bugging me in this version, Wimbledon somehow edged possession, not sure how as it was 58-42 at half time in Liverpool's favour and they never really dominated the 2nd half, it played out like a typical English cup tie, finished 1-1 and I really enjoyed it, felt a bit robbed with the equaliser but I was pushing forward for a 2nd goal and got hit with a long ball over the top, plus I'm tired so will use that as my excuse ;)

Only thing I wasn't happy about was both sides having 90% passing accuracy, after the cpu v cpu test game I changed the pass error slider for user and cpu to 65 (my understanding is the higher the value the higher the chance of errors?) yet accuracy improved 2-3%, it didn't feel like it in the game though and they seemed to play a lot of riskier balls which resulted in turn overs, going to get some sleep now and have a good play around with some higher ranked teams tomorrow and go back to 15 min halves as I didn't really have time tonight.

Whelp, to each's own, like you say. Have you tried sliders though? I know some people have had good success changing the line settings and/or turning down the CPU accel slider by a notch or two to give a slight reaction time advantage.

Is this on Pro difficulty you're having trouble with?

I don't even mind the midfield pressure that much, although i'd like to town it down. It's the cpu passing the ball around constantly with me being unable to get it back is what puts me off. All teams do that. Even the shitty ones.
And all goalies as well, they are calm when put under pressure and make perfect passes in any situation.
Most goalies would canon the ball out the stadium.

How do i change that with sliders?

Back
Top Bottom