FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Defending is so utterly banal now. Barely have to think anymore, just heavily pressurise and tap tackle, either I get the ball or the man thus stopping the attack.

So defending is easy because you can simply foul the man with the ball? Not sure that's really a solution that makes defending "banal" more like your playing style! What method of defending do you use?

Defending is so utterly banal now. Barely have to think anymore, just heavily pressurise and tap tackle, either I get the ball or the man thus stopping the attack.
Can we have lots of videos and a tutorial on how the hell you're doing that? Because it's by far the biggest area I'm struggling in.

Defensively, I can't get close enough to a player to tackle, and dribbling by using the left stick alone is so easy that people dance around me if I try to tackle, or push me all the way back to the box if I don't.

It's like we're describing two different games...

They've nerfed pace so why make winning the ball back so easy. I have Mitroglou upfront yet it's impossible to hold-up the ball, even with my back to the defender.

The game just feels extremely attritional. Like FIFA 14. Pen the opposition in their half. Give them no time on the ball to force errors. Taking enough pot shots around the box until one works it's way in.

There's no incentive to be inventive as the risk-reward isn't there as a defender will just hook out a leg despite the user not reading the pass.

It's percentage football. Aidy Boothroyd / Sam Allardyce simulator. Yes passing is harder, but that doesn't mean build-up play is rewarding. It's about playing it safe and moving the ball to danger zones.

Winning but fed-up. Honestly prefer FIFA 15 now, at least there was a sense of adrenaline and high stakes. The game plays out so predictably now, I'm never surprised or caught off-guared. Any mistake or miscalculation is easily recoverable, which just isn't the case in real life.

Tone down long-shot accuracy, tackling and interception boxes, then we'll have a good football simulator on our hands.

Are you speaking of online or offline? I can only assume you're talking about online but even then, you must be really, really good if defending has become boring for you. It's hard as hell for me, and judging from my opponents online, lots of people are pretty bad at it.

Posts some videos cause I'm genuinely curious to see how you've become so successful that the game has become boring and easy.

My experiences are all online. I play in a competitive league so the calibre of opponent is decent, but usually there's a noticeable difference in defensive ability.

This year everyone is more or less competent which removes the skill element.

Also played a bit of Seasons but most opponents lack rudimentary understanding of football until you get to the upper divisions.

So defending is easy because you can simply foul the man with the ball? Not sure that's really a solution that makes defending "banal" more like your playing style! What method of defending do you use?

It's whats ever effective at breaking up the attack. In most football games I will jockey with man to cover passing lanes while using secondary pressuring to get a foot in. This year I just need to get close enough the man and press tackle. Regardless of the position and timing, 9 times out of 10 the defender will disrupt the play. Either coming away with the ball, disloging it for another player, or causing a foul.

Can we have lots of videos and a tutorial on how the hell you're doing that? Because it's by far the biggest area I'm struggling in.

Defensively, I can't get close enough to a player to tackle, and dribbling by using the left stick alone is so easy that people dance around me if I try to tackle, or push me all the way back to the box if I don't.

It's like we're describing two different games...

Is this against the CPU or human opponents?

The CPU is a different animal and will always be more evasive given how it's programmed. Also noticed while I was conceding multiple headed goals in the demo and feared it being overpowered, I haven't yet conceded one against human opposition.

If you're struggling against human opposition I'll cut up a few videos if you like. I'm suprised anybody would struggle though since my frustration stems from being continually dispossessed in the final third regardless of the context. I just don't feel you can put your foot on the ball and feel comfortable with a decent dribbler like you could in FIFA 15.

That's the element I really miss. Not the effortless R2 weaving inbetween defenders which was admitedly overpowered, but the ability to make small touches away from the defender, or shield the ball with a stronger player.

Are you speaking of online or offline? I can only assume you're talking about online but even then, you must be really, really good if defending has become boring for you. It's hard as hell for me, and judging from my opponents online, lots of people are pretty bad at it.

Posts some videos cause I'm genuinely curious to see how you've become so successful that the game has become boring and easy.

I'll record few games tomorrow and cut-up the defensive moments to show where I feel it's too easy.

This isn't supposed to a humblebrag self-congratulatory post. I'm genuinely underwhelmed at the lack of forward thinking needed in defending, it really undermines any creativity or trick attacking play as interception range is so huge.

The goals I do concede are generally thunderbolts from 25 to 30 yards.

@ Chris Davies & mfmaxpower

I'm not great at defending but don't concede a lot of goals, the key to it is to let your opponent have the ball in their half and the middle third, don't go diving in
(unless you're playing online against a bad player, the cpu will have you chasing shadows) but use contain & secondary pressure to try and either cut off passing options or try and force them down blind alleys if they're out wide, just be patient and you'll force a mistake to get the ball back, if you go pressing them too much in their half there's a good chance you'll get pulled out of shape and give them space to play into, once they get into your defensive third things should be more compact giving you a better chance of getting close to the ball and winning it back

if you're having trouble timing your tackles don't go button mashing as it'll just take your player out of the game if you get it wrong, try turning on the trainer for a few games, the white circle is more or less the area in which you stand a chance of getting a successful tackle in so use it until you get the timing down to a tee

I found that Professional is more realistic, at least at the level I'm playing in CM (League 2, Exeter City). So against club at the same level (more or less) are more competitive and you feel you get the chance to get something. In legendary and world class, felt like every team play tika taka mothafucka all sorts, hardly get the chance to take over the possession. Maybe sliders would help, I haven't ticker with that just yet.

Is it only me that handball always happen to human team rather than the CPU? In straight 10 or more games, I've been conceding penalty and numerous hand ball, its so random, thats good, but since there are no ways to control so that I don't use the hand, it appears to only go against me all the time. I remember that I got handball call against the CPU like 2-4 times in that 10 games duration. In bizarre incident I got 3 penalty awarded to me, for handball. So what I did is to turn it on except for penalty.

I've changed the way I play FIFA quite dramatically over the course of the last two days. Whereas before I was playing on professional with semi-assisted controls, I'm now playing Legendary with assisted controls. I've also applied slider changes from the thread in the main FIFA forum. I don't know how much difference they make, but I find this to be a really balanced way to play. Sure, the opposition do pass the ball a little too well, but turnovers happen quite regularly and there's plenty of stray passes on both sides.

I'm playing as Benfica on CM and I'm currently second in the league, with Porto out in front by a couple of points and Sporting Lisbon being just behind me in the third. I think that's a pretty accurate representation of what we've come to expect from the Portuguese league. I've drawn 5, lost 2 games all season. I won 2-0 in my last game against a mid-table club in what proved to be a fairly tight game, but when they started to push forward in the final 10 to try and force an equaliser they were left wide open on the counter attack. I sent a lobbed through ball into Carles Gil (who I signed from Villa) and he squared it to Jonas who tapped it in from close range. Put to bed. :APPLAUD:

I'm really enjoying FIFA this year. Some of the passing animations are awkward and ugly to watch, and I think EA might want to concentrate on establishing more player and team individuality next season, but provided they continue to build upon what they've developed this year then I'm a happy consumer. The mixed review may deter EA from continuing with this formula though. Let's hope not.

after playing both games a lot i have come to the conclusion that while fifa edges it both games are disappointing considering where we were 10 years ago.

after playing both games a lot i have come to the conclusion that while fifa edges it both games are disappointing considering where we were 10 years ago.

I think we've become extremely hypercritical over the course of that time. In truth, objectively, FIFA 16 plays a far better game of football than any FIFA that's come before it. I remember being absolutely floored by PES 3 when I first played it and the game kept me occupied for a whole calender year, but looking at the gameplay footage now it's hard to imagine a time when I could have been so immersed by the game. The more I read internet forums, the more I become convinced that we'll never ever be satisfied with a finished product. There will always be something.

I found that Professional is more realistic, at least at the level I'm playing in CM (League 2, Exeter City). So against club at the same level (more or less) are more competitive and you feel you get the chance to get something. In legendary and world class, felt like every team play tika taka mothafucka all sorts, hardly get the chance to take over the possession. Maybe sliders would help, I haven't ticker with that just yet.
I've changed the way I play FIFA quite dramatically over the course of the last two days. Whereas before I was playing on professional with semi-assisted controls, I'm now playing Legendary with assisted controls. I've also applied slider changes from the thread in the main FIFA forum. I don't know how much difference they make, but I find this to be a really balanced way to play. Sure, the opposition do pass the ball a little too well, but turnovers happen quite regularly and there's plenty of stray passes on both sides.
I play using both of these methods - depending on the level of team I'll switch the difficulty onto Professional or Legendary (World Class, as with FIFA 15, feels a bit weird to me - it's like the teams are overpowered but their shooting is crippled, there's no balance).

The reason I switch is that, sadly, although teams do play at different abilities within the same difficulty level, the difference isn't as big as it should be IMO, and changing the difficulty really changes the style of play that you'll see (from naïve to "well rehearsed").

To put it simply - I never see a game with more than two goals when you go above Professional.

I use semi controls when it's set to Professional, and assisted controls when it's set to Legendary.

I've also put together some sliders which seem to positively impact the gameplay no matter what the difficulty level, with certain teams having wing-backs and wingers in better positions, thus reducing the pass-around football.

It's the best footballing experience I've ever had, honestly. I'm enjoying it while I can because I'm also 100% sure EA will be changing it dramatically based on the reviews, either in a patch or in next year's game.

Online I'm having no fun due to not being able to master defending in the slightest against other people, but I can live with that...

I play using both of these methods - depending on the level of team I'll switch the difficulty onto Professional or Legendary (World Class, as with FIFA 15, feels a bit weird to me - it's like the teams are overpowered but their shooting is crippled, there's no balance).

The reason I switch is that, sadly, although teams do play at different abilities within the same difficulty level, the difference isn't as big as it should be IMO, and changing the difficulty really changes the style of play that you'll see (from naïve to "well rehearsed").

To put it simply - I never see a game with more than two goals when you go above Professional.

I use semi controls when it's set to Professional, and assisted controls when it's set to Legendary.

I've also put together some sliders which seem to positively impact the gameplay no matter what the difficulty level, with certain teams having wing-backs and wingers in better positions, thus reducing the pass-around football.

It's the best footballing experience I've ever had, honestly. I'm enjoying it while I can because I'm also 100% sure EA will be changing it dramatically based on the reviews, either in a patch or in next year's game.

Online I'm having no fun due to not being able to master defending in the slightest against other people, but I can live with that...

The 2-0 victory on legendary last night against a mid-table team (can't remember the team) was probably the most enjoyable experience I've ever had at playing the CPU on a football game. There's just enough error in the CPU in terms of passing, shot accuracy and first touch to always give you a chance of victory provided you play to a high enough level. Killing the game near the death due to the opposition being stretched was perfect. I never would have penetrated their defence so easily earlier in the match. Small margins.

Could you give us a run down of what slider properties you are using, Chris?

The 2-0 victory on legendary last night against a mid-table team (can't remember the team) was probably the most enjoyable experience I've ever had at playing the CPU on a football game. There's just enough error in the CPU in terms of passing, shot accuracy and first touch to always give you a chance of victory provided you play to a high enough level. Killing the game near the death due to the opposition being stretched was perfect. I would have never have penetrated their defence so easily earlier in the game. Small margins.
That describes my experience with it perfectly, even on Legendary. I was playing Chelsea last night, and they had 10 shots to my 5 shots, I was out-possessed and out-played, but not unfairly so.

They couldn't score because I held a deep defensive line and marked them to death, I couldn't score because they were playing a high defensive line and kept picking up the ball around the middle of the pitch.

It finished 0-0 with Costa hitting the top of the crossbar with a looping header, and Benteke hitting a long (desperate) effort into the sidenetting, as the closest opportunities of the match.

It was tight, tense, and real (no dirty jokes please).

In the match before, I played Southampton, and won 1-0 - it was a lot more open (even on Legendary, which I left the difficulty on as I was away), but my finishing (semi-shooting) almost cost me, before Sturridge latched onto a (manual) through-ball over the top, took one touch forward, and laced it into the goal with 30 minutes to go.

(I think the low scores are becoming a new complaint of mine, but I find lowering the difficulty from Legendary opens up new gaps for both teams.)

Please could you post your sliders in the slider's thread?

I don't find FIFA to be disappointing but each to their own obviously. Both games have their flaws and limitations but what I will say is FIFA16 is the closest thing to the next-gen football game I envisioned back when the 360 & PS3 first came onto the scene. Yes, it needs better individuality and player models, more tactical variance from the AI etc, etc, but it does a hell of a lot of things very well, much more than the things it doesn't.

I don't find fifa16 disappointing per say I just think I thought 10 years ago both games would be much better. Maybe we were spoilt by early Pes

Ten years ago, I expected AI to be much more advanced in 2015 than it is now, with a greater variance of play styles and AI "learning".

I also expected the graphics to be much better, actually (PES's faces are incredible, but then the non-scanned players stand out like a sore thumb, and the lighting doesn't quite match FIFA's).

But the amount of things FIFA gets right is pretty great. People (some reviewers) have mentioned a new engine - I'm not sure that's the best idea for FIFA right now, with how varied play can be in the current one. I'd hate FIFA 17 to be a clean slate with loads of issues that made prolonged play a bit rubbish, alá FIFA 10.

I've heard the new engine talk too. Not sure FIFA needs one right now. I think it's all there - the potential is great - EA just need to really focus on individuality and making it feel more pronounced.

The other game supposedly has a new engine but I'm struggling to notice what it actually brings to the table.

All ill say is that i think about my epl campaign at work and at the gym. Cant wait to get stuck into it at night. That hadn't happened since pes5 for me. This is probably the closest to the real thing there's ever been. Especially the womens game. If they rework some passing/ free kick/penalty animations and refine the gameplay even more it'll be a beast next year.

I don't find FIFA to be disappointing but each to their own obviously. Both games have their flaws and limitations but what I will say is FIFA16 is the closest thing to the next-gen football game I envisioned back when the 360 & PS3 first came onto the scene. Yes, it needs better individuality and player models, more tactical variance from the AI etc, etc, but it does a hell of a lot of things very well, much more than the things it doesn't.

Agreed!

I enjoy FIFA 16 a lot!
But still there are some things I dislike.
They don´t make me stop playing it and sell the game though, thx god.

A few of those things are the ones I mentioned a lot.
It´s mostly the faces and those puppet like animations in between (replays in slow mo look great though).
The animations got better this year though.
Plus, I don´t feel let down, cause the PC version is what it should be and there are hardly any things that I liked, that had been taken out this year.

Just in my opinion; if EA would get the faces right, just like KONAMI does and is able to get more lifelike and slower animations in the game (while you play, cause in the replays they are fine already), well then I´d be a happy chap!

The individuality is there imo. Maybe not that extreme.
But I was trying to do a long range shot with a midfielder who didn´t have much shot power and the shot was too weak.
That´s exactkly what I wanna see.

Also wehen I played FUT offline with my shit team (50 - 70 ratings) they sucked at taking direct shots and missed the goal for miles.

So saying that individuality isn´t there at all is nothing I´d agree with.

The individuality is there imo. Maybe not that extreme.
But I was trying to do a long range shot with a midfielder who didn´t have much shot power and the shot was too weak.
That´s exactkly what I wanna see.

Also wehen I played FUT offline with my shit team (50 - 70 ratings) they sucked at taking direct shots and missed the goal for miles.

Oh yeah, definitely agree. But I think there is room for improvement.

I'd love to agree with this, and while I do think there's more individuality than people give the game credit for (I certainly feel a difference with my second string), playing in the Bronze Cup when playing Ultimate Team, most goals scored against me are from outside the box, and that frustrates me.

I assume that's just an Ultimate Team thing, though.

I'm playing as Benfica on CM and I'm currently second in the league, with Porto out in front by a couple of points and Sporting Lisbon being just behind me in the third. I think that's a pretty accurate representation of what we've come to expect from the Portuguese league. I've drawn 5, lost 2 games all season. I won 2-0 in my last game against a mid-table club in what proved to be a fairly tight game, but when they started to push forward in the final 10 to try and force an equaliser they were left wide open on the counter attack. I sent a lobbed through ball into Carles Gil (who I signed from Villa) and he squared it to Jonas who tapped it in from close range. Put to bed. :APPLAUD:

I'm really enjoying FIFA this year. Some of the passing animations are awkward and ugly to watch, and I think EA might want to concentrate on establishing more player and team individuality next season, but provided they continue to build upon what they've developed this year then I'm a happy consumer. The mixed review may deter EA from continuing with this formula though. Let's hope not.

I've done the same, or similar at least, moving up to Legendary and having better experiences than when playing on WC, though I'm not using sliders (yet). Legendary for me plays much better than WC because the CPU is a bit more aggressive, so there seems to be a bit less tiki taka in their own half of the pitch.

The only slider I've really messed with is CPU pass acc, which even when I put it at 65 it didn't do much to prevent the CPU from passing it around it's own half too much - the only change was that they now became really easy to defend against when in the final third, where space is tight and pass acc is much more important.

It's a shame that the higher difficulties aren't programmed a bit better because Pro difficulty plays like a dream straight out of the box. Only problem is that Pro becomes waaay too easy before long. What this game really needs, far more than any slider tweaks, is a patch to tweak the AI - at times it's hard to believe the playtested these higher difficulty settings and didn't see these frustrating issues.

I think we've become extremely hypercritical over the course of that time. In truth, objectively, FIFA 16 plays a far better game of football than any FIFA that's come before it. I remember being absolutely floored by PES 3 when I first played it and the game kept me occupied for a whole calender year, but looking at the gameplay footage now it's hard to imagine a time when I could have been so immersed by the game. The more I read internet forums, the more I become convinced that we'll never ever be satisfied with a finished product. There will always be something.

Love this post and kudos..sums up my thoughts and are go on record as saying that this is for me the best game of football I've played in 25 odd years..

Don't have problems with defending..don't have issues with perceived nerfing of pace..

Highly playable,highly polished simulation of match footie..

There's never going to be a happy medium with some..fruitful and fertile imaginations.

Last edited:
I'd love to agree with this, and while I do think there's more individuality than people give the game credit for (I certainly feel a difference with my second string), playing in the Bronze Cup when playing Ultimate Team, most goals scored against me are from outside the box, and that frustrates me.

I assume that's just an Ultimate Team thing, though.

Huh, funny, I just finished playing the Bronze Cup and I didn't concede any long shots at all - I think the only way I conceded was from crosses.

What difficulty did you play it on? I think the Bronze Cup is default to amateur and I bumped it to Pro (would've done WC but I was too scared considering you're playing against some teams a full star or more above your level).

Had a blast with my bronze argentinian team though. My only real complaint with offline FUT is that you can't play with longer half lengths.

@ Chris Davies & mfmaxpower

I'm not great at defending but don't concede a lot of goals, the key to it is to let your opponent have the ball in their half and the middle third, don't go diving in
(unless you're playing online against a bad player, the cpu will have you chasing shadows) but use contain & secondary pressure to try and either cut off passing options or try and force them down blind alleys if they're out wide, just be patient and you'll force a mistake to get the ball back, if you go pressing them too much in their half there's a good chance you'll get pulled out of shape and give them space to play into, once they get into your defensive third things should be more compact giving you a better chance of getting close to the ball and winning it back

if you're having trouble timing your tackles don't go button mashing as it'll just take your player out of the game if you get it wrong, try turning on the trainer for a few games, the white circle is more or less the area in which you stand a chance of getting a successful tackle in so use it until you get the timing down to a tee

Thank you for the tips, though I think maybe we're talking about different issues. I don't have issues conceding many goals, but I have issues with defending in terms of winning the ball back.

So, for example, I was testing some slider tweaks playing with Bayern against Hamburg on Legendary with 10 min halves, a team that Bayern should be confident to both win against and win the battle for possession. I won most of my games, but in no game did I fair better than 55% possession. Meanwhile my average tackles per game was something like 5-7.

That's my issue with defending (at least offline). It's not with conceding goals, though I certainly do concede, but with the balance of play and the inability to apply pressure and put a tackle in.

Back
Top Bottom