FIFA 15 News & Discussion Thread

Anyone else this the LOD/Antialising is pretty "choppy/bad"? Especially on the ref/linesmen close up and when playing (PS4). I cant remember what it was like on the demo as I'v been playing PES.

Other than that, had a fantastic two first games. Can see I'm going to like football games alot this year in-general.

Last edited:
Completely disagree.

Manual passing takes into account body position, strong foot and passing stats of the player and has done a pretty good job of this in particular in the last couple of Fifas (talking about 13 and 14 here) in the sense that those two have altered manual so it's less manual than it used to be, it's more of a slightly semi-manual in them, 15 does seem to have reverted to a bit more manual whilst still taking into account body position/foot/player stats.

Agreed. The comment above though about tapping the button. Fuck that!

People don't choose Manual controls because they think it is more realistic or authentic. They choose Manual controls for the control, the feel and the challenge.

Being forced to aim and weight your passes/shots can be a more immersive and rewarding experience. It is very tactile and quite demanding. In comparison, the quick-tap and auto-aim of Assisted can make your eyes glaze over.

So I think that using realism as an argument against Manual is missing the point a bit, because that's not why people choose it.

There isn't a great deal of error - but then there isn't on assisted passing either. Almost all of errant passes on assisted are because the game misinterprets what you want and tries something that will not work.
Agree so much with this ^^^

It's mis-leading to describe manual as making a poor passer as accurate as a good one... because you complete your passes on Assisted too. In fact more so, because there's less margin for error.

And if we're talking about good/bad passers being represented with individuality... what about vision? Awareness? Intelligence? Quick decision making? The connection of the boot with the ball is only one part of a pass. From your all-seeing top-down perspective, Behrami operates with the same intelligence as Xavi. You're the one making the decisions, so how could you ever truly represent an intelligent playmaker.

The point being that we make some concessions for the benefit of control in the video game.

Last edited:
I definitely find that a passer with good vision will help you get those through balls into the right places versus a similar stat passer without good vision, even on manual.

Completely disagree.

Manual passing takes into account body position, strong foot and passing stats of the player and has done a pretty good job of this in particular in the last couple of Fifas (talking about 13 and 14 here) in the sense that those two have altered manual so it's less manual than it used to be, it's more of a slightly semi-manual in them, 15 does seem to have reverted to a bit more manual whilst still taking into account body position/foot/player stats.
Spot on Paul.
I guess he was talking about Assisted where every single player can make that perfect lob pass that will always reach the striker.

I definitely find that a passer with good vision will help you get those through balls into the right places versus a similar stat passer without good vision, even on manual.
again spot on.I had that player with higher vission stat than the others.He was able to hit passes in the opposite direction and pick players while they were running more successfully than anyone.

Last edited:
I use manual on Fifa because the game seems to ignore the stats anyway, specially for the CPU team... 90% of the players can pass like Pirlo and dribble like Messi. Playing with manual controls makes the game feel less "perfect" and more realistic, but doind that we have to adjust a lot of sliders for the CPU doesn´t play like super-humans.

The public will entertain themselves based on how much of a challenge the game then feels (or how amazing they appear to be at the game if they're using assisted) without noticing the difference between a Ferdinand and Phil Jones, or seeing why Mata is a more technical #10 than Rooney, or why Strootman distributes the ball better than de Jong. And that's what a football game needs in order for me to want to play it all year round.

fantastic- well versed. this has NEVER been a part of fifa.

Well im absolutely loving this so far. Ive just been playing loads of friendlies (as Everton & Aston Villa) for now before starting my Career tomorrow. Never thought I would ever say this, but Tom Cleverley has been awesome for me today!.

Scored this lovely volley with him:http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=...aexx&vid=dc5d8af1-5663-44fb-bc9c-edc8adf5dc76

(10 minute halves, full manual, slight slider changes)

Last edited:
It would take ages for a company like EA to implement a realistic passing scheme. Let's enjoy the real human error on manual before they grace us with a frustrating AI error feature.

Romagnoli gets it bang on. It's what I've been saying for some time...one control scheme for all and more stat dependant outcomes.

So err PES then. :)

Just kidding. I play manual FIFA (although I find manual shooting a little stale, as I don't see the same variety of goals as opposed to semi) and to be honest I don't feel much difference in my ability to play football between the lower league teams and the top tier. Manual passing/crossing to me feels like it's purely based on input direction and weight of pass, I can hit decent crosses and passes with pretty much anyone, it's just user technique. Bumping it up to semi/assisted seems to feel more stat dependant, misplaced passes, under hit jabs. Of course a lot of the user skill is taken away but it feels a bit more varied.

I have to say, new presentation aside, I'm 10hours or so into my FIFA career and I'm a little burned out. It just doesn't excite my last years' did.

Really pissed off with the outrage over defending. If EA pander and bring back the automated system it'll be a real fucking shame.

It's the first football game that's ever reduced the effectiveness of blind pressure. It's not even difficult, just requires user input now rather then waiting for the AI to win the ball back for you.

Set defensive line to 20.
Have you DMs set to Stay Back in instructions.
Use RS to switch between defenders.
Hold jockey whenever facing up and simply anticipate where the ball will go.

That's it.

I'm seeing none of these problems you talk about. I don't play offline though.

If you're not seeing these problems, then either you've got blinders on or you're just not looking close enough. Here's the video proof:

(For people that are interested, EA have created a forum this year where you can post game footage of problems with the game. I've already posted there, and I will be posting more. Here's the link: http://forum.ea.com/uk/forums/show/202.page)

Forget the poor defensive mechanics. I can live with it for the most part. What's gamebreaking for me is the HORRIBLE defensive AI. Probably 9 out of 10 goals I score or concede are simply due to poor AI. Mistakes happen in football, but top level footballers don't make these types of mistakes, especially at this frequency.

[These are all on the PS4; all LEGENDARY difficulty; default settings]

Here's John Terry not marking the Juventus striker. Such an easy goal for the CPU, you can't defend against this. Look at the space he has when he receives the pass. You don't see this in real life. It's shambolic.

YouTube - FIFA 15 Some of the worst marking you will ever see in your life by two CBs

Here's me (Chelsea) against Man Utd. Watch how the CBs literally just let Diego Costa go, for the easiest of goals.

YouTube - FIFA 15 Man Utd CBs let striker go for easy goal 2

Watch my Athletico Madrid defender literally get lost trying to mark the Inter forward. It's comical. Easy goal for the CPU that is out of your hands because of terrible defensive AI.

YouTube - FIFA 15 Atl Madrid CB literally does not know how to mark

Here's another one. My defender switches off in his marking of the forward. (Then there's a goal from a crazy shooting angle too.)

YouTube - FIFA 15 Ath Madrid defender stops marking mid run

Again, the Inter defender just switches off. Another easy, easy goal for me.

YouTube - FIFA 15 Inter quit marking striker, easy easy easy goal

Here's an easy goal by Diego Costa. Notice how much space he's afforded and the total lack of efffort trying to prevent him from shooting. So easy.

YouTube - FIFA 15 Pathetic marking leads to easy Costa goal

Here's an easy set-piece goal because two AI defenders don't follow my attacker:
YouTube - FIFA 15 Pathetic marking on set piece, easy goal

FIFA 15 is the most open game of football I remember playing. Ripping apart opposing teams, even on the highest difficult settings, is a piece of cake. Here are examples:

This clip here sums up so many of FIFA 15's problems. Watch how easy this counter attack is. Look at the acres of space afforded me. Notice how the CPU hardly even tries to get the ball off me. Then see at the end where I highlight the easy 1-2 through pass for a goal, in which the defenders just let me go by:

YouTube - FIFA 15 Soooo much space on counter attack, CBs let striker through on easy 1 2

What's amazing about this goal is that the CPU - on Legendary difficulty! - does not attempt one single tackle. Maintaining possession, moving the ball to the final third, and then an easy 1-2... it's all so unbelievably easy:

YouTube - FIFA 15 Atl Madrid So easy to rip apart CPU defense, not one attempt at tackle made

Look at how easy it is to bring the ball down the length of the pitch, and how easy it is for me to maintain possession in the attacking third, leading to an easy shot. No skill involved whatsoever:

YouTube - FIFA 15 Atl Madrid crazy easy counterattack, so easy to keep the ball

Another easy counter-attack resulting in a goal. I find myself double-checking to make sure I'm playing on Legendary and not whatever the easiest difficulty setting is:

YouTube - FIFA 15 Counter attacks are sooo easy

Me ripping Juventus to shreds. Another easy counter:

YouTube - FIFA 15 Another easy counter attack against Juventus

A major issue with defending is that the AI isn't reacting to threats when they should. Here are examples of how defenders make no effort to close-down attackers in possession:

Here's that feared attacking force, Athletic Madrid's holding midfielder Gabi, dribble from inside his own half to the just outside the CPU's box. It's so easy when the CPU doesn't bother to defend:

YouTube - FIFA 15 Feared attacker Gabi dribbles from own half to final third

Here's a great clip of how poor the off-the-ball threat detection can be. Watch how Gabi again is able to stroll his way up the middle of the pitch for an easy chance.

YouTube - FIFA 15 Gabi again able to waltz up middle of pitch for easy chance

Look at how easy it is to create this chance. CPU defenders aren't bothering to stop me, then they allow a wide-open run in the middle of the box. EA have added a bunch of shot error this year - obviously to account for all the easy chances this year - which is the only reason I miss the target. How this doesn't result in a shot on target is beyond me:

YouTube - FIFA 15 Inter make no attempt to defend, easy chance missed cause of increased error

Here's me as Oscar creating an easy chance because FOUR Man Utds defenders don't bother trying to stop me:

YouTube - FIFA 15 Horrible defending, no tackle attempts, easy chance

Here's Gabi again keeping possession so easily. There's just no challenge in this:

YouTube - FIFA 15 Holding midfielder able to dribble 40 yards and easy shot

It's not just the defensive AI that's bad - and it's horrible in this next clip - but the CPU attacking AI can still be boneheaded at times. Look at the space afforded the Juventus (CPU) player in the box by my defense, and then see him not attack for some reason:

YouTube - FIFA 15 Poor defending in penalty box, poor attacking AI decision making

Here's poor defensive AI, poor attacking AI, and exaggerated shot error all mixed in one.

YouTube - FIFA 15 Poor attacking AI and exaggerated shot error

I said previously that the goalkeepers are fine in FIFA 15. I take that back. Actually, for the most part they are fine, but they screw up badly too often. And you can't have that, 'cause when the keepers screw up, goals happen, and that's too crucial to match outcomes.

This is comical by one of the top keepers in the world. Courtois leaps the wrong way, after the ball has been struck and when it's nearly midway to him:

YouTube - FIFA 15 Comical goakeeping by elite level keeper

Another horrible gaffe by Courtois:

YouTube - FIFA 15 Poor goalkeeping

And AGAIN by Courtois:

YouTube - FIFA 15 Poor, unrealistic goalkeeping

Not the worst error you'll see but you can't have this happening:

YouTube - FIFA 15 Terrible keeping, easy goal for CPU

Really pissed off with the outrage over defending. If EA pander and bring back the automated system it'll be a real fucking shame.

It's the first football game that's ever reduced the effectiveness of blind pressure. It's not even difficult, just requires user input now rather then waiting for the AI to win the ball back for you.

Set defensive line to 20.
Have you DMs set to Stay Back in instructions.
Use RS to switch between defenders.
Hold jockey whenever facing up and simply anticipate where the ball will go.

That's it.

Don't think that's fair to be honest. I'm pretty good at these football game things, and I genuinely believe they've gone too far in the 'wrong' direction.

The issue for me is that your teammates are sometimes brain dead. I defend exactly how you suggest, but more often then not when I do 'get a toe' on a pass, it trickles right past my AI teammate, within a hair's breath of them, and they don't react to it.

That's all I'd like to see fixed. Similarly, if I use my DM to get an attacker to move straight into my full back, I expect my full back to do something. In FIFA 15 they literally get out of the way. Like there's a magical circle around the player with the ball, and no CPU controlled teammate can enter it.

All of those videos are from one play session yesterday afternoon, and there were more that I could've recorded. Out of the matches played I scored or conceded very few deserved goals. Almost all were simply due to poor, unrealistic programming.

Taken all together and what you've got is the most open, easy, attack-oriented game of FIFA I can remember. By the end of it yesterday I was just laughing 'cause it's so silly.

EA have done a great job capturing exciting, fast paced, end-to-end football, but that's all this is a simulation of. Even if you think the defensive mechanics are okay, and I agree they're certainly better than what came before, you can't argue that the defensive side of the game is at comparable levels as the attacking part of the game. They're no where close and it's terribly, and for me probably game-breakingly, unbalanced.

I won't call this the worst FIFA I've ever played, but it's the most disappointing by far.

Can I just say, please keep bombarding EA with those videos (do it via Twitter too, especially to any devs). If they don't choose to make any AI changes within the first few weeks then it'll be too late.

On team select Screen how can I see all players stamina/form like last year in a list with the green bars on the right hand side?

I know you can see each starting eleven players stamina by highlighting each player, it's just not a quick snapshot like before.

Cheers

I don't play against the AI. Absolutely pointless in my opinion but for the guys who do it must be annoying.
But yeah, you are probably right, I'm not looking hard enough as frankly I can't be bothered to. It's a game. It's fun and also challenging creating plays with the settings I use. I played at a decent level and I now also do a bit of coaching but I won't be going down the route of going into all the detail like you have just done. It's a game FFS. As long as I can avoid the ping pongers I'll be quite happy. Like I've mentioned, i want input into the game and i have that but i also accept it won't be perfect.

Get out more and stop looking for every problem with the game. You will never enjoy it otherwise. I'm enjoying it and i have had some great games. There's been mistakes but i can live with them. I've no interest in watching any ofc those videos either. I'm too old to let that type of stuff get to me. Our experiences of the game are different. You are playing against AI and I'm not. Game plays differently for both so I'll leave out there.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I prefer. In this day and age we should be having more input into the game. I can get from one end of the pitch to the other with my eyes closed on assisted. Absolute joke.
You can have manual with attributes too if that's the case. One players touch is crap. His passing is crap so he needs put more on the pass. He can't ping it as good so a longer press is needed. He has a softer shot so needs a longer button press. The way you guys bang on its still a tap of a button with no consideration of power or aim. If it gets rid of the absolute crap that is ping pong then brilliant but I much prefer it being me that has input into the aim and weight of the pass otherwise it's just tap, tap, tap which my young son can do easily.

The problem is that your solution does not do anything to fix the underlying problems. Yes it's waaaayyy too easy to go from one end to the other, but passing is only one aspect of that problem.

And like rom pointed out, by saying manual is the solution, you're absolving the devs of responsibility to improve the issues creating the problems in the first place.

I'm all for manual as an option for people who want that added challenge, but it shouldn't be the answer to unrealistic gameplay.

Those videos are great. I've been arguing with some mates on Facebook about how terrible the defending is, and these really help me to show them what I'm talking about. Thanks.

I don't play against the AI. Absolutely pointless in my opinion but for the guys who do it must be annoying.
But yeah, you are probably right, I'm not looking hard enough as frankly I can't be bothered to. It's a game. It's fun and also challenging creating plays with the settings I use. I played at a decent level and I now also do a bit of coaching but I won't be going down the route of going into all the detail like you have just done. It's a game FFS. As long as I can avoid the ping pongers I'll be quite happy. Like I've mentioned, i want input into the game and i have that but i also accept it won't be perfect.

Get out more and stop looking for every problem with the game. You will never enjoy it otherwise. I'm enjoying it and i have had some great games. There's been mistakes but i can live with them. I've no interest in watching any ofc those videos either. I'm too old to let that type of stuff get to me. Our experiences of the game are different. You are playing against AI and I'm not. Game plays differently for both so I'll leave out there.

Guess what, the AI we play with and against is the SAME AI you play with and against. You and your opponent aren't controlling all 11 players!

And yeah, real nice answer: get out more and don't look at the problems. So you're fine participating in web discussion about the game but once we start pointing out flaws it becomes "a game FFS"? Nice.

Last edited:
Guess what, the AI we play with and against is the SAME AI you play with and against. You and your opponent aren't controlling all 11 players!

And yeah, real nice answer: get out more and don't look at the problems.

I know it's the same AI players but the game plays differently against a human than the computer. And i have a lot more problems to worry about than a computer game so it's a release and a bit of fun to me. Unless it's your job, looking for loads of details and posting videos everywhere is crazy to me. Knock yourself out though. And it doesn't just become as game, it always has been.

The issue for me is that your teammates are sometimes brain dead. I defend exactly how you suggest, but more often then not when I do 'get a toe' on a pass, it trickles right past my AI teammate, within a hair's breath of them, and they don't react to it.

That's all I'd like to see fixed. Similarly, if I use my DM to get an attacker to move straight into my full back, I expect my full back to do something. In FIFA 15 they literally get out of the way. Like there's a magical circle around the player with the ball, and no CPU controlled teammate can enter it.

Fully agree. The AI is there as the CPU uses it, so why can't your own teammates have the sense to put a foot in and make a tackle rather than stay 5 yards away from the opposition player with the ball?

I know it's the same AI players but the game plays differently against a human than the computer. And i have a lot more problems to worry about than a computer game so it's a release and a bit of fun to me. Unless it's your job, looking for loads of details and posting videos everywhere is crazy to me. Knock yourself out though. And it doesn't just become as game, it always has been.

Well that's cool that you have lower expectations than some of us, but then why enter into a discussion about the game's flaws when you're admittedly uninterested in them and as you say you have so many other things to worry about?

You've got too much to worry about to not bother with knocking the game, but you've got the time to knock other people for knocking the game. Huh.

Whatever. I'm perfectly fine that there are plenty of casuals out there with little interest in the finer details; I'm also perfectly fine that as a fan of the franchise and football games in general, that I'd like something better than what's being offered.

Well that's cool that you have lower expectations than some of us, but then why enter into a discussion about the game's flaws when you're admittedly uninterested in them and as you say you have so many other things to worry about?

You've got too much to worry about to not bother with knocking the game, but you've got the time to knock other people for knocking the game. Huh.

Whatever. I'm perfectly fine that there are plenty of casuals out there with little interest in the finer details; I'm also perfectly fine that as a fan of the franchise and football games in general, that I'd like something better than what's being offered.

There's nothing I can do about any of it though is there? I want the best sim available but I'm also grateful for what i have. I have plenty of problems going on at the moment but having a few days off from letting them get to me. If I let them get to me, I'd lose the plot!

Back
Top Bottom